Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Revisiting Mass Effect: Part 2

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By meteora3255

If you missed out on part 1 be sure to check it out.

Kylie Shepard’s hunt for the rogue Spectre Saren continues. After spending most of the first 13 hours focusing on side quests and reacquainting myself with the world of Mass Effect it’s time to check back in with Shepard. She has now recruited an Asari scientist, stopped a Batarian terrorist plot and turned down romantic overtures from her crew.

Gameplay revisited

Shepard has found that very few disputes can't be solved with an assault rifle.
    Shepard has found that very few disputes can't be solved with an assault rifle.

Before getting into the plot and choices Shepard made it's important to reflect on how the gameplay feels after another 10 hours. The Mako and exploring planets has finally begun to overstay its welcome. After coming to the conclusion that it isn’t as bad as people remember, I have started to sour on it. The repetitive nature of the planetary surfaces and the buildings on them have taken their toll. While I am still grinding through each and every planet I am not getting the same rush of discovery anymore. Instead it’s become a race to finish each planet as quickly as possible and move on.

Combat has gone from being frustrating to trivial over the same timeframe. In true RPG fashion as I have leveled up and acquired better gear most of my complaints about combat slowly faded. I have found stable and accurate assault rifles and armor able to keep my team alive without constant healing. However, while I have become stronger and better equipped my enemies have not. Instead of finding a balance the game has swung to the other extreme. Even without using some of the more overpowered abilities, such as Immunity, I am making short work of most encounters. Anything less than a rocket does little to no damage to my squad and most enemies are unable to withstand more than a second or two of damage from my weapons. The end result is still the same, combat ultimately feels unbalanced and isn’t satisfying.

Liara and the dig site

The first major mission I decided to tackle was rescuing Dr. Liara T’soni. From a player driven perspective this made the most sense as the result of this mission is another team member and I wanted to maximize the time I had with my crew. However, part of the ground rules I established for the playthrough was that I would do my best to make every decision in character without using the knowledge gained from multiple playthroughs. To that end Shepard reasoned that if Saren was searching for a Prothean beacon and his right hand, Matriarch Benezia, had a daughter who was an expert in Prothean technology they would likely try to contact her. If they hadn’t it was only a matter of time and Shepard needed to ensure she got to her first.

The mission itself is probably the most straightforward major mission in the game. There are few lines of dialogue, especially in the first half, and no branching choices to make. The purpose of this mission is to introduce players to Liara and give you a brief idea of her personality.

I don't think you are doing that right doctor.
    I don't think you are doing that right doctor.

The most interesting plot points and character development don’t happen until you have finished the mission. Back aboard the Normandy Liara reveals that the Prothean extinction was another in a long cycle of civilizations mysteriously vanishing at their apex. It’s during this time that Liara’s social awkwardness begins to get played up. She fumbles through sentences and makes unintentional but insulting remarks. She always qualifies it by reminding everyone she isn’t used to dealing with other species. In the end it’s a fairly unremarkable mission that is only necessary as a means to introduce Liara.

Do you like me?

After recruiting Liara, Shepard spent some time doing some more side quests and also talking to her crew. Outside of the missions talking to your crew aboard the Normandy is where you will spend most of your time. Mass Effect allows you to enter into a relationship with certain characters based on the way you talk to them on the ship. In this case Kaidan and Liara both expressed interest in me and it made me realize how difficult it is to be nice to crew members without also giving them the idea that you want to be romantically involved.

The dialogue options often lead to 3 possible outcomes. From top to bottom on the conversation wheel you have the paragon, neutral and renegade option. Getting into more detail, you can expect the paragon option to be very nice and friendly, and occasionally flirty. The neutral option is usually professional with Shepard often telling crew members now is not the time or place to discuss whatever topic they brought up. Lastly the renegade option is dismissive and at times even rude.

The problem is that the lines Shepard speaks often don’t indicate any romantic interest at all. The paragon options are often not flirty; they are just kind. Shepard might express sympathy for an awful event in someone’s life or tell them they are a valuable member of the crew. Your crew however takes even the slightest bit of kindness as an indication that you want to date them. I was shocked when I spoke to both Kaidan and Liara and they both came on to me. Our previous conversations never indicated that Shepard was being anything more than kind. On top of that, I had taken neutral and renegade choices in conversation as in-character Shepard was not interested in either of these two. In the end I had to shoot both characters down but it presented another problem, it weakened them as characters. These were two successful people who apparently get weak at the knees whenever someone gives them the smallest bit of kindness or validation. Perhaps it was a product of the time but I didn’t remember the relationships being this poorly implemented.

Bring down the sky

I really, really don't like Batarians.
    I really, really don't like Batarians.

The last mission Shepard undertook was stopping Batarian terrorists from dropping an asteroid on Terra Nova, humanity’s largest extrasolar colony. This mission was originally DLC, however newer versions of the game include it as part of the package and I find it is an essential part of the story.

This is the first time in the Mass Effect series that the player is introduced to the Batarians. When humanity first arrived to the galactic community they competed with the Batarians for colony worlds in the Skyllian Verge. The Batarians, having been there first, petitioned the Council to declare that region a zone of Batarian interest and prohibit humanity from settling there. For political reasons the Council declined and the Batarians voiced their displeasure by breaking their alliance with the Council. Without the firepower to battle the human Systems Alliance Navy in conventional warfare the Batarian government has instead funneled its resources to funding pirates, terrorists and guerilla fighters who attack human colonies and ships throughout the region.

This covert funding of terrorist cells brings us to Terra Nova. The colony was moving an asteroid into orbit with the intent to mine it out and use it as the shell of a space station. The Batarian terrorist Balak hijacks the asteroid and sets its course for the planet. The impact would create an extinction level event similar to the death of the dinosaurs.

The mission presents Shepard with two key choices, both at the end of the mission. The first comes when Shepard finally encounters Balak. He has taken hostages and will kill them if Shepard tries to pursue him. If Shepard decides to confront Balak she then has to decide what to do with him after he is defeated. Both choices present interesting roleplaying opportunities for the player.

After Shepard stops the asteroid from impacting the planet she confronts Balak. The hostages he has taken include Kate Bowman; a member of the team overseeing the asteroid’s movement into orbit. Throughout the mission Kate Bowman has been feeding Shepard intel on the Batarians. From a game design perspective her inclusion is obvious. She is there to provide the player with some connection to the hostages to make the decision tougher. Instead of nameless unseen hostages we are given a link to try to make us emotionally invested in them.

This is one of the better choices in the game. There isn’t any right answer and both occupy a gray area. With so many moral choice systems in games often presenting binary options of good and evil it’s always refreshing to see something present shades of gray. If Shepard pursues Balak people will die however if she lets him go who knows how many others will suffer eventually at his hands. Ultimately for Kylie Shepard the decision came down to saving the most lives. Balak has already shown that he isn’t above murdering millions of people and he will not stop trying to destroy human lives if Shepard lets him go. Stopping Balak now is the only way to ensure he doesn’t do something like this again.

True to his word, Balak does execute the hostages and after a firefight he lays wounded with his fate in Shepard’s hands. You are given three options; you can let him bleed out and die, you can finish him yourself or you can deliver him to the Alliance for judgment. As you talk to him he continues to taunt you, making it very clear that he isn’t the only one and others will continue his crusade against humanity. At this point Shepard was pissed and killing him became a very real possibility, so much so that during the conversation she shot him again in the arm just to hurt him. Again Shepard had to show restraint and make the decision that would save lives. Balak mentioned others like him and he clearly knows more about the Batarian terrorist plots. That knowledge could save lives if he can provide names, locations or targets. With that possibility Shepard decided to deliver him to the Alliance military. While it didn’t satisfy Shepard’s thirst for revenge it was, at least in her mind, the best option available.

With Feros and Noveria left and a majority of the side missions out of the way it feels like the game is going to start rushing towards the conclusion. At this point I have seen that while there is still a lot to like the gameplay hasn’t aged particularly well. This retrospective has been difficult at times; looking back I have often ignored the warts on this game (and series as a whole) and simply heaped praise on it. Confronting them head on, and being prepared to criticize them as necessary, has given insight into what aspects really carry a game for me and what I can overlook. The journey has been great so far and I am genuinely excited to see what’s in store as Shepard moves forward with her mission.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I'm thoroughly enjoying your retrospective, keep up the great work!

One thing I'm curious about is regarding your souring on the Mako exploration bits. It seems like you front loaded the uncharted planet exploration into one big chunk, although maybe I'm mistaken. Do you think it would have been more enjoyable had you mixed that in with the main story missions for variety's sake? Maybe the Mako stuff is too samey for you and my suggestion wouldn't save it, but I found that I never got tired of the exploration by doing it this way. That being said, I'm a huge Mass Effect fanboy and have a hard time admitting the obvious flaws of the series. :-)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

As much as I loved Mass Effect, I eventually came to realize how much of that was the last 5 hours or so. The middle of that game has some slogs, and although the gameplay was unique it didn't really come together as an action game til 2 (and 3 was by far the strongest).

Been worried to return to it, to be honest, as even going back to 2 after 3 seemed like a significant step back with gameplay.

This post just reminds me that I never did the Citadel DLC, what the hell is wrong with me?

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

This post just reminds me that I never did the Citadel DLC, what the hell is wrong with me?

Something is definitely wrong with you. Get on that shit ASAP. (Seriously, do it. Probably my favorite piece of DLC ever.)

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_navster:I think that is certainly some of it. My habit as a player of any open world game is to tackle all the side content before the main quest and that is how I handled it. It was probably the only part of the playthrough that was decidedly not done with any roleplaying motivations. Of course I have done this before and never had problems with this on my previous playthroughs. I think another aspect is that I have just done this so many times. This is something like the 7th or 8th time I have gone through the game. I too am a huge fanboy and I think the best part of this retrospective is that I really get an opportunity to look at some of those flaws and both criticize and admit they exist but also say, you know what I know its a flaw but it doesn't detract from the experience for me. It's not something I have ever really done for any of the other games I love.

@csl316: As @darth_navster said you definitely need to play Citadel. Its the best piece of DLC from a series that has put out some pretty strong stuff. In terms of returning to the game, as I have said in both posts, the gameplay is certainly not easy to go back to. That being said I still think its worth revisiting, even if you turn it to easy and just experience it from a story perspective. There are still a lot of things that the first game does so much better than the other two, especially in terms of world building.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meteora3255: Yes, Mass Effect 1 did a great job in building up the universe. I read every bit of lore in the Codex because it seemed so fleshed out. 2 had better character stuff (with a weaker overall arc), while I like the overall tone and narrative build of 3, but the original laid the foundation in a great way. So well that I was able to overlook the gameplay problems and technical hiccups upon release. I beat it twice back then, but going through again on easy to see the beginnings might be worth a shot.

It makes me wonder if they'll be able to recapture the magic with Andromeda. Although the universe is established, they need to go back with all new characters and make you care about a whole new story. And since I loved 3 from top to bottom, I have high expectations. How the hell do you top the Reaper war in terms of scale? A threat to all galaxies? We'll find out soon enough.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: I wonder if they really need to match the scale of the Reaper war. I think I would really enjoy something a bit more personal. For example maybe you are the first-in colonists on a new world in a new galaxy and simply have to survive against new threats. After the Reaper war I even wonder if they could create something on the same scale and have it feel credible.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@csl316: The part of the universe that's established will be a pretty insignificant part of the universe you'll be inhabiting, I think. They'll get their chance to introduce you to lots of new stuff in this new galaxy. And though I'm sure it'll get to dramatic end of the universe type stuff eventually, the first game might not have much of that going on at all as they focus on exploration. It has the potential to be a very novel storyline.

Your opinion on the side quests mirrors my own reaction to the game. The bright side is that now that it's out of the way and you can power right through the main story quests, you'll finish the game having forgotten all that pain and suffering. (Well, not really, since you've committed it to writing now). I only romanced Kaiden once and recall not liking him very much but I can't remember why. I do know that I had a very low opinion of Liara from her portrayal in ME 1, as a very sort of naive, overly sensitive character and I definitely thinks she comes on strong and without much warning. In later games she gets good enough for me to sort of wonder if I may be missing out. I never really had any issues with the Ashley romance, though, which is how I generally played that game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By csl316

@veektarius:Liara in ME 1 kind of sucked, I thought. And when she went Shadow Broker on me, it seemed like an abrupt shift. But once I got to 3, she was who I trusted to join me for the final battle (alongside Garrus). And I went with Ashley, although I liked her less and less as the game went on. But I sacrificed Kaiden because he was my guy, and I respected his choice.

@meteora3255: And you're most likely right about reducing the scope, at least for the first game of this new story. It's like the Saints Row IV problem of "well, how the hell do we top this?" Or Star Wars going for a bigger Death Star in the new movie. That's why I figure the whole universe will eventually be in peril. Skyscraper robots were incredible to see last gen, but I think we'll lead into planet-sized enemies at some point. Or hell, let's go to Asura's Wrath levels and just start dodging planets.

I hope the spectacle is there, as even ME 1 had a huge battle against a single Reaper and the Geth armada, but we don't need to get to final battles right away. Let these new characters breathe a little as we get to know them. Then once the foundation is there and the core of the story is established, then I'll be fine with a turret sequence here and there. I just need to care about what I'm doing and who I'm fighting for. Which is why ME 3 worked for me so well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@meteora3255: I'm about to start my first play through and I have one question: if playing with a controller, do you think vibration adds to the experience? I'm going to be playing on PS3, but would like to use a DS4. Using a DS4 on PS3 disables the vibrate function and I'm wondering if you have any opinions on how this would affect the game play.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: Rumble is definitely not essential to the experience, so I say go for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.