Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Those "little things"

drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drew

So a lot of people have said that those "little things" really killed the Mass Effect experience for them.  The only real issues I came across were these:

1. Pretty terrible slow down in some fights.
    2. No way to get rid of your worst equipment except for one at a time, scrolling to the bottom of the list.
    I didn't feel that these really got in the way of the game though.  What were the things that really killed Mass Effect for you? Or do you agree they really weren't that bad?
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

are you playing on pc or xbox?

I think people might have been reffering to the texture popin etc on the xbox version. Really detracted from the game at times.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pause422
    Rowr said:
    "are you playing on pc or xbox?

I think people might have been reffering to the texture popin etc on the xbox version. Really detracted from the game at times."
    Thats just a default problem with the Unreal engine, every single game running on it has that problem, when worked on it doesn't need to be applied as much, hence on the PC version. I didn't think anything got inthe way of it though, other than terrible framerates at certain fights, thats just cuz the game looks so damn good on the 360,(better than gears 2 looks also, the yjust went with a different style of art ) it just pushes the machine to its core I believe is the main thing.
    FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By FengShuiGod

The gun turret mounted on the vehicle pissed me off.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422

well yeah, on the 360 version, forgot about that...the driving the vehicle was really bad...fixed on the PC version though.

YuXing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By YuXing

i hated the mako driving

drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By drew

I was playing it on the 360.  I didn't have any issues with the driving though... maybe it's just cos I haven't played the pc version so I don't know any better.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Rowr
    pause422 said:
    "Rowr said:
    "are you playing on pc or xbox?

I think people might have been reffering to the texture popin etc on the xbox version. Really detracted from the game at times."
    Thats just a default problem with the Unreal engine, every single game running on it has that problem, when worked on it doesn't need to be applied as much, hence on the PC version. I didn't think anything got inthe way of it though, other than terrible framerates at certain fights, thats just cuz the game looks so damn good on the 360,(better than gears 2 looks also, the yjust went with a different style of art ) it just pushes the machine to its core I believe is the main thing."
    yeh i know.

But it seems to be particularly bad in this game.

Especially when your at a part which is supposed to be atmospheric, it just pulls you right out of the fucking moment.

People say its a "feature" of the unreal engine. Im calling it a bug, I hate it. I would have preffered it toned down graphically so it would actually run on the system.

The other "little things" would have been the inventory system and mako i imagine. Basically everything that they fixed for pc.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By suneku

There were a lot of little things that irritated me, but I enjoyed the story and gameplay enough to overlook it.

kyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By kyman

the mako was pretty terrible and the inventory system was frustrating beyond belief, but the story and gameplay was too good to take me out of the game. 

some of the graphical bugs were annoying at times but i was invested enough that they never really detracted for me

but damn, driving that mako was brutal

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yeah, there's always "little things" in every game though.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Jedted
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne

The lack of interesting or exciting subquests and not having the option to play with the english voice track (european versions) were the only noteworthy disappointments I had with the game.

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By KingOfIceland

Most of the technical issues were pretty much the same ones as in other UE3 games like Bioshock, Gears etc etc.......

Biggest problems it had were the shoddy autosave system, bad inventory system, meh combat, weak driving sections and the areas felt a little too "contained", there were times when I just wanted to wander around and just talk to dudes.

But yeah, that game still managed to blow me away, and I trust Bioware to fix most of those problems now that they have some of that delicious EA money at hand......

8th_pacifist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 8th_pacifist

It's not the technical issues that brought it down from me, it's the artistic choices they made. The two previous Bioware games I played were KotOR and Jade Empire, and I liked them both a lot, but in Jade Empire you can already see some of the directions they went further in in ME.

Namely, they're trying to make their games into Hollywood movies, which is fine if you're making a Hollywood movie, but here it means shallower characterisations and a much less complex plot than in their previous games. When it came to when I had to choose who lived or died, I felt I hadn't gotten to know either of them very much. Hell, the only one I really cared about was Wrex. A game should be more like a tv series in terms of writing.

The game was way too damn short. It's hardly an epic quest if it's over in a week, is it?

Also, the driving sections were bad and the sidequests were all the same sidequest over and over again, you can breeze through a main planet in about three hours, all the environments look exactly the same, the voice actor for the male Shepard was very bland, and the only decisions that affect the ending come five minutes before it.

That said, I do like the game, and I hope Bioware gets back on track for the next one. Which I will buy. Even if it sucks.

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NateDogg

Beat the game a while ago.. I'm actually playing thru again on my 3rd or was it 4th time? Trying to go for those achievments I missed the first few times.

Anyways, the thing that bothers me when I play ME is basically driving the stupid vehicle around worlds... Man that thing is just awful.  I actually enjoyed walking through a baron wasteland in Fallout 3 than driving over mountains just to get to my destination.. But I can overlook that minor detail and because of that, I really enjoy ME and I think its one of the top 5 RPG's on the 360 for reals.
    NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NateDogg

People that say the game is too short, try playing all the quests.. I guarantee you it won' t be as short as you say.

Yeah sure you can mow through the main story in under a day if you really wanted to.  But why the fuck would you waste $60 to do that?

Sure not all the side quests are that interesting, but it does add some back story and more info into the codex.  It's all good stuff to me.  Because I didn't play through all the side quests my first few times, i'm making a point of tryin to get as many as i can this time around.
    lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By lvl10Wizard

1: The Mako
    2: The uninhabited worlds being super super dull
    3: The inventory
    4: The lift..Looooooaaaadddddiiiiinnnnnngggggggg times
    5: The quality of the side quests

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Captain_Fookup

The whole going to random planets and driving around collecting random shit.

Sidequests that have no voice acting only a box with text after you've killed the "badguy"
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By pweidman

The virtually lifeless boring sidequests are by far  the games biggest drawback.  The Mako worked fine for me, and the FR drops were so infrequent they weren't an issue just as the pop-in textures.  The game looked so damn good those two faults were just superfluous for me.  But aside from the main questline, the other areas/worlds were just too generic and lifeless...prolly the biggest challenge for Bioware is to flesh out those parts of the game.  I wonder how the game would run when DL'd to the HDD now???  Anyone load it and try??

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Kazona

There's alot more than just those two things that bugged me, but none of them killed the game for me. I heard a lot of the annoyances got fixed in the PC version though, and have been debating for quite a while whether I should get it or not. I mean, I have it on the 360, and if it's pretty much the same on the PC, then it's not worth it. But if it really has fixed as many issues as people said, then it might warrant another play through on the PC.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bulldog19892

The Mako was absolutely horrible. Those segments pissed me off to no end. Also, I though the weapons sounded really weak, and combat was unsatisfying. Seriously, I just shot a dude in the face with a shotgun at close range, I don't want to hear a dull thud and watch him fall down slowly, I want to hear a loud 'boom!' and see his head snap back as he slams into the ground. People underestimate the importance of weapon sounds and death animations. Also, the AI was terrible, and sprinting is way too fast. Yahtzee Croshaw put it best when he said: "The word 'clusterfuck' ceases to be adequate."

Oh, and the cover system was poorly handled, and almost entirely useless. I used cover maybe once through the course of the entire game. Really, you could nitpick the shit out of this game, but you'd be undermining the awesome story, atmosphere, music, and characters.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By justinnotjason

This didn't really bother me until I played Fallout 3, but the side missions in Mass Effect were god awful. Aside from a few dialog and cutscene changes there was really nothing different about any of them.  Most everything on side planets was cut and pasted. Even some integral parts of side missions were ignored. Like when you went to go get Wrex's family armor, you open a safe and the missions over. Nothing there, no cutscene, no image of armor or anything. Terrible. I really like the game but they need to step it  up with the side missions for ME2.

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By macandcheese
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "The Mako was absolutely horrible. Those segments pissed me off to no end. Also, I though the weapons sounded really weak, and combat was unsatisfying. Seriously, I just shot a dude in the face with a shotgun at close range, I don't want to hear a dull thud and watch him fall down slowly, I want to hear a loud 'boom!' and see his head snap back as he slams into the ground. People underestimate the importance of weapon sounds and death animations. Also, the AI was terrible, and sprinting is way too fast. Yahtzee Croshaw put it best when he said: "The word 'clusterfuck' ceases to be adequate."

Oh, and the cover system was poorly handled, and almost entirely useless. I used cover maybe once through the course of the entire game. Really, you could nitpick the shit out of this game, but you'd be undermining the awesome story, atmosphere, music, and characters."

First off it wasnt a standard sprint mechanic it was meant to dash form cover to cover... so yeah it was fast, though I wont argue the fact that the side missions were boring and repetitive
    Lastly if you were not using the cover mechanic then you obviously didnt play the game on hardcore or insanity level, I though it was a good system and you kinda needed it on hte harder levels of play.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Despite how much I really did enjoy Mass Effect I disliked the load times, the bugs, the clunky inventory system and most of all the texture popping. However I didn't hate the driving as much as most people, I was annoyed with the strange controls of the Mako at first but I eventually got used to it and felt comfortable driving the Mako.

Picto_pixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Picto_pixels
    pweidman said:
    "The virtually lifeless boring sidequests are by far  the games biggest drawback.  The Mako worked fine for me, and the FR drops were so infrequent they weren't an issue just as the pop-in textures.  The game looked so damn good those two faults were just superfluous for me.  But aside from the main questline, the other areas/worlds were just too generic and lifeless...prolly the biggest challenge for Bioware is to flesh out those parts of the game.  I wonder how the game would run when DL'd to the HDD now???  Anyone load it and try??"

I've DL'd it to the HDD and it does run a bit smoother still some texture issues but nowhere near as bad.
    The little things that bugged me were the boring sidequests and lack of difference in gun power, I felt I could blast through the game with my pistol just aswell as with assault rifle however the sniper and shotgun came in handy from time to time. The other planets were very bland aswell. Mass effect 2 should be pretty damn good. I better get to work if I'm able to transfer my data to ME2.
    doonee63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By doonee63
    lvl10Wizard said:
    1: The Mako2: The uninhabited worlds being super super dull3: The inventory4: The lift..Looooooaaaadddddiiiiinnnnnngggggggg times5: The quality of the side ... [more]
    Agreed. The frame rate too.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BBQBram

The framerate dips are there, so is the pop-in, the volume inconsistencies, the Mako controls, hell I'm not even that big on the core gameplay.

But the story and immersion, they're what keeps me playing. The empty planets aren't that dull to me because I love that feeling of being on some uninhabited world, seeing the system's other planets alligned in each unique skyline, awesome.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cc23574

The only things that bother me about ME (wich is a great awesome game) are the texture popin and the Mako.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheKidNixon

SPOILER WARNING, I SUPPOSE!!!

I think after a while, all of the same-ness of the side-quests start to get to me. Yes, there are some cool side-quests like the Moon and the multi-planet geth strongholds, but mostly they're "Go to this location, fight off these things in an identical bunker, return to the Citadel and pick up EXP." That said, they make fantastic gameplay while catching up on your latest podcasts.

The only other parts of the game that I really didn't like, hilarious, have some of the best "OH SHIT!" moments near the end of the game, namely when you drive the Mako through the Conduit to crash into the Citadel, and when you're elevator stops mid-rise and you SHOOT YOUR WAY OUT! I felt like all the damn time I spent waiiiiiiting in elevators was pardoned by that one great moment, followed by the totally awesome scaling-the-side-of-the-elevator sequence. Very well done.

Morter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Morter21
    @Rowr said:
    "are you playing on pc or xbox?I think people might have been reffering to the texture popin etc on the xbox version. Really detracted from the game at times. "

NOW SEE I DIDNT THINK THE TEXT POPING UP WAS ALL THAT DISTRATING IT ONLY HAPPENED WHEN THE CENTER AIMING THING WENT OVER SOMETHING 
    > FORGOT THE MAKO SUCKED YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT HUMANS CREATED A SHIP THAT IS THE BEST IN THE UNIVERSE AND WE CANT GET A ROVER TO CLIMB A VERY TALL HILL EVEN IN SPACE?? 
    >ALSO WHEN I WAS PLAYING AS A SOLDIER AND HAD GARRUS ON MY TEAM HE KEPT DYING EVERY TIME WE WENT INTO BATTLE ON HARDCORE AND INSANE, HE NEEDS AT LEAST MEDIUEM ARMOR OR SOMETHING
    >WHEN I GOT TOMANY WEAPONS I HATED DELEATING THE UNNEEDED ITEMS ONE AT A TIME REALY GOT FRUSTRATING.
    >NEXT  WAS WHEN I WENT TO A SHOP AND AFTER I WAS DONE BUYING SAY HUMAN ARMORS I HAVE TO QUIT THE CONVERSATION, START A NEW ONE AND THEN GO TO THE NEXT EQUIPMENT TYPE TO BUY
    >LETS NOT FORGET WHEN FIGGEN KROGAN START GETTING HIT THEN CHARGE AND SINGLE U OUT, I DONT KNO HOW MANY TIMES IVE DIED BECAUSE OF THEM ON A HARDER SETTING
    >ELAVATORS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LONG AS HECK AND THE RECHARGE TIEMS FOR ABILITYS ARE ALSO LONG
    NOW I THINK I COVERED EVERYTHING LOL

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By threeve

For me the little stuff was overshadowed by the awesome stuff, which is what I remember when I think about mass effect.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By dtat

Vehicle sequences were TERRIBLE! I really loved Mass Effect, but there were times when the vehicle parts made me turn the game off. Does anyone know if there will be more driving in ME2? 

Edit: The texture pop-ins were extremely jarring too. 
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

Playing through it again at the moment, I can definitely say its the physics when using your biotic powers. I'm about to reach level 60 and as you can guess that means I've got to the end of the progression for all my attacks, which is bad when I fight anyone in an open area as they can often float off the end of the map and refuse to die. 

This is made even worse by the fact that half the time its Kaiden throwing them across the other side of the map, meaning I have to chase them down if killing them is mission related.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.