Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

If you didn't play the first 2, you might not understand the neg

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By bybeach

I am very tired of bald, but that maybe is a personal problem and I have to see why the need to shave the head. I liked snake's appearance in MGS4

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By deanoxd

@allworkandlowpay said:

I played the first two, I still don't understand the negativity.

i totally agree, both games came out 10 and 8 years ago. it would do them no service to remake those games exactly. i don't want that i want them to think a little and put some effort into whats next. and what gets me the most is that if they just remade max payne 2 people would be bitch about that, so why bother anymore its just the internet being what it is.

@squirrelnacho: Sure. Did you read my first post? It's about the overall feel. It's not about whether its proper noir, (though the new trailer hardly does anything to help its cause).

but how does a developer ensure that everyone will feel the same way, when trying to to induce nostalgia for games of the past. what you perceived as feel from the original games doesn't mean thats what everyone got from those games. A developer can do everything they can to build atmosphere in to their game that still doesn't mean it will hit everyone the same way or stir up the same feelings. i suggest if you want Max Payne 2 then go play it, relive those memories and feelings, and look forward to the new. Remember change is good, always.

dyong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By dyong

The setting does not matter. It only needs to be a good game. In the end some people won't find the game good because of the premise, which is fine, there will be others who won't care or will like the setting. It seems the developers are taking a risk by moving away from the franchise's roots, but I can appreciate their desire for a new creative direction.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I played the first two, they stand as two of my favorite games ever. I am still incredibly excited for Max Payne 3.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By napalm

@squirrelnacho said:

It looks like [Max Payne 3] was made to appeal to a younger audience weaned on games like Saints Row.

I do think the whole "world-weary bald guy with a thick beard" trend is far enough in the past that Max Payne 3 doesn't feel too weird, anymore. If they make Max Payne 3 very dark and tragic, there is certainly room for it to feel very noirish.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By squirrelnacho

@Vodun said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Vodun said:

@squirrelnacho: A difference of opinion is fine, I have no problem with people disliking something I like. But basing your extremely negative opinion on 90 seconds of incoherent footage is stupid. And it's always the same with each anticipated follow up to an old IP. Someone has to create drama by hating on something they know absolutely nothing about.

Hiding behind "ooh I just have an opinion" doesn't work buddy. Based on what we've seen I could come to the conclusion that it is going to be a strategy game and have as much base for that opinion as you...but I don't because that would be stupid.

What I was saying was that the settings and the character were a huge part of the original 2 games for a lot of people. I'm not saying the game is going to automatically suck. It is however a big change that some people do not happen to like from what little we've seen.

Lets put it this way, the setting and the character were at least half of what made the original game awesome for some people.

The setting and character are what made that game for me too, but I have enough neurons firing off to understand that 90 seconds of key holed footage don't mean jack. I will refrain from expressing an opinion about the game until I've actually tried it myself, I suggest you do the sa

Once again, for some people the character and the city are what made the game. It's clear from the trailer that the game will not take place in NY most of the time. If that's not important to you, fine just agree to disagree and have the maturity to refrain from insults that belong to someone that appear to be 1/4 your age. You are about 40 right?

I think all the neg has gotten to you.

@Doctorchimp

You can't stay away can you haha. I'm still waiting for on answer on why you want to argue about something unrelated to mp3 on a mp forum. Hint, there is no good one.

Accept that some people have different opinions and move on. However, if you think you can have a rational discussion, by all means stay. :)

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By squirrelnacho

Actually, I'm going have this thread locked. There is way too much needless attacking. Some people seem to think that 90s seconds of footage is too little to speculate about and discuss.

As I said in my first post, I don't think MP3 sucks just because it's taking place in a different city, but there are some changes that many people think were unnecessary.

I don't have any problem with gameplay changes though, I don't think the mechanics of the old games would hold up.

plasticstars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By plasticstars

I played the first two obsessively, and I don't get the negativity. Would I love a game like the first two? Yes. But, that doesn't mean that I'm automatically going to write this one off. People are jumping the gun and screaming at the new developers for not just copying what Remedy did and it's ridiculous. Wait until you've played it, and then if you don't like it you can bitch about the changes.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By UnrealDP

The series is going in a new direction evolving into a different more modern game. I honestly don't see any problems.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By SomeJerk

The OP is sarcastic right?

I acknowledge that Saints Row 2 was an alternative to GTA4 meant cater to younger players who wanted instant gratification instead of us older more mature players who actually don't skip cutscenes and only learned to understand why the game was to dull and depressive looking after the final mission finished up but MP3 makes sense to me in all ways.

Avatar image for dancingpolkabear
    dancingpolkabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I played and loved the first two, but I don't mind what they are doing with the property now. I'm actually excited to see what they do.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By louiedog

If you're old enough to have played the first two then you should be old enough to know not to get whipped up into such a (positive or negative) frenzy after seeing so little about a game. That goes for any game, not just this one. Seriously, just stop it. The trailer is just part of the marketing materials and is not aimed at you specifically. Wait until you've seen a solid piece of the actual game before you even think about making these kinds of judgements. This could be next year's GOTY and maybe be the most Max Payne that Max Payne has ever been. You don't know yet. The game is half a year away and there are like 20 awesome games coming out in between now and then. Go play them and stop worrying about this.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Mmmslash said:

@Irvandus said:

@supermonkey122 said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

I played the first two, I still don't understand the negativity.

Yea, pretty much

Yep

Also here.

I'm with these duders.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By squirrelnacho

@louiedog said:

If you're old enough to have played the first two then you should be old enough to know not to get whipped up into such a (positive or negative) frenzy after seeing so little about a game. That goes for any game, not just this one. Seriously, just stop it. The trailer is just part of the marketing materials and is not aimed at you specifically. Wait until you've seen a solid piece of the actual game before you even think about making these kinds of judgements. This could be next year's GOTY and maybe be the most Max Payne that Max Payne has ever been. You don't know yet. The game is half a year away and there are like 20 awesome games coming out in between now and then. Go play them and stop worrying about this.

You are really overestimating how much this matters to me and other people critical of it. What we do know is that most of it won't take place in NY. That may not matter to you, but to some people it does. Carry on.

satansmagichat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By satansmagichat

@squirrelnacho said:

refrain from insults that belong to someone that appear to be 1/4 your age. You are about 40 right?

Irony, thy name is squirrelnacho.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By squirrelnacho

@satansmagichat said:

@squirrelnacho said:

refrain from insults that belong to someone that appear to be 1/4 your age. You are about 40 right?

Your name is satansmagichat. Case in point.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By louiedog
    @squirrelnacho said:

@louiedog said:

You are really overestimating how much this matters to me and other people critical of it. What we do know is that most of it won't take place in NY. That may not matter to you, but to some people it does. Carry on.

You seem awfully invested in this for someone who cares so little. And who are these other people that are so resistant to change? It looks like it's pretty much just you in here. Stop trying to distance yourself for your crappy thread as if you represent some sort of Max Payne preservation society.
    squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By squirrelnacho

@louiedog said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@louiedog said:

You seem awfully invested in this for someone who cares so little. And who are these other people that are so resistant to change? It looks like it's pretty much just you in here. Stop trying to distance yourself for your crappy thread as if you represent some sort of Max Payne preservation society.

There is another thread in this forum with people that feel the same way, and there are other posts in this thread as well. Not to mentioned other discussions away from this website.

And no I'm really not invested in this, believe it or not. It's just baffling that some people seem to take this so personally.

satansmagichat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By satansmagichat

@squirrelnacho said:

@satansmagichat said:

@squirrelnacho said:

Thy is the early modern English possessive form of the second person singular, also used in place of the honorific form ("you" from the french form) to refer to those considered lesser or equal in nobility/familiarity.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By squirrelnacho

@satansmagichat said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@satansmagichat said:

@squirrelnacho said:

Thy is the early modern English possessive form of the second person singular, also used in place of the honorific form ("you" from the french form) to refer to those considered lesser or equal in nobility/familiarity.

Correct. Your name is still satansmagichat.

Anyway, I need to step away for a few hours. Keep arguing if you like. Will this thread continue? Who knows? I don't care anymore. I made my point in the first post. Disagree? Perfectly fine.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@SomeJerk said:

The OP is sarcastic right?

I acknowledge that Saints Row 2 was an alternative to GTA4 meant cater to younger players who wanted instant gratification instead of us older more mature players who actually don't skip cutscenes and only learned to understand why the game was to dull and depressive looking after the final mission finished up but MP3 makes sense to me in all ways.

SR2 has more depth of play and quite a few better character arcs than GTA IV. I think you dismissed an experience which shouldn't be missed. GTA IV only beats SR2 in two specific areas; graphics and driving. In every other aspect SR2 is the better game.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#122  Edited By ZombiePie

Locking as per original poster's request.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.