Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Max Payne 3 PC requirements released. You won't be playing max.

• 145 results
    fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By fullmetal5550
    @Azteck said:

Just saying, I'll be playing this on max probably.

I will be too. If I can run BF3 on Ultra, I can run MP 3 on Max.
    snetErz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By snetErz

I'll take it for a ride on max. i7-2600k Quad 3.4ghz, 16gb ram, 2x 580 Superclocked. I think I'll do fine.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#103  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Challenge accepted.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to know how optimized this game is, I have my pre-order secured on Amazon, but I'll probably cancel if it's another unoptimized Rockstar PC game.

If I have to play this game at 1280x720 to achieve 60 FPS, I will.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105  Edited By mosdl

35 gigs is the max harddisk usage during installation, you would think PC gamers are used to that...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By CL60

@mosdl said:

35 gigs is the max harddisk usage during installation, you would think PC gamers are used to that...

Apparently not.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#107  Edited By nintendoeats

Rage is similarly massive. I wonder if they used some of the tech from that game and that's why it's so damn big.

This is seriously weird.

MrBoBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By MrBoBo

@Fjordson said:

I remember seeing people complain about Skyrim's low size requirement and specs, expressing worry that it wouldn't really take advantage of powerful PC's.

Interesting bunch, those PC gamers.....

It doesn't. It needs modded like hell to look half decent. It's the case with alot of console ported games. It's usually the pc gamers themselfs who make the game use pc power properly.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By AngelN7

@CosmicQueso said:

So to sum up...

"Wah, my computer isn't at spec"

"Wah, my ISP sucks, so 35GB is too much"

"Wah, GTA IV sucked on PC"

None of these are this game's fault. Your computer suck? But new stuff. Your ISP sucks? By the box or get a new IP. GTA sucked on PC? What does that have to do with this?

Add "wah we're supposed to be 'Master Race'

MrBoBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By MrBoBo

Hey I just noticed when you order it off steam you also get Max Payne 1+2. Value wise even though alot of people already have them, this seems really good.

@AngelN7 said:

@CosmicQueso said:

So to sum up...

None of these are this game's fault. Your computer suck? But new stuff. Your ISP sucks? By the box or get a new IP. GTA sucked on PC? What does that have to do with this?

Pc gamers are the master race. It's why they demand better. Console gamers do not have the same level of standard. Thus they do not whine and take whatever they are given.

That might sound arrogant but it's true for the most part. Console gamers are not as questioning as pc gamers.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#111  Edited By AngelN7

@MrBoBo said:

Hey I just noticed when you order it off steam you also get Max Payne 1+2. Value wise even though alot of people already have them, this seems really good.

@AngelN7 said:

@CosmicQueso said:

So to sum up...

Pc gamers are the master race. It's why they demand better. Console gamers do not have the same level of standard. Thus they do not whine and take whatever they are given.

That might sound arrogant but it's true for the most part. Console gamers are not as questioning as pc gamers.

I didn't say you weren't I just find funny that you acutally belive in the 'Master Race' thing

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#112  Edited By MrSlapHappy

I bet it will run fine with less or will still look amazing on lower settings. Those requirements are just for bragging rights for the guys that can afford to deck out their systems. After all no matter how crazy it looks, it still has to be DX9 compatible and has to run in some form or fashion on the consoles.

Would be cool if they could patch it down the line to optimize it for lower spec systems.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By RedRavN

Obviously you will not need that crazy of a PC to make the game look as good as it does on the x-box. I would think people would be glad that they are putting on high end features like phys-x, dx-11 rendering, tesselation, parralax mapping etc. the core 2 duo 2.4 and 8600gt is literally the specs of my old laptop, which I bought right around the x-box 360 release. Those are old specs so it seems the game will be fairly scalable.

I will be amazed if the game actually uses 16mb of ram when maxed out. Thats crazy, I've rarely seen games use more than 6 or so. 32gb space seems rather large for this kind of game. Either that means a lot of uncompressed textures or high fidelity cinematics. I hope it indicates that the game will be lengthy.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By fjordson

@MrBoBo said:

@Fjordson said:

I remember seeing people complain about Skyrim's low size requirement and specs, expressing worry that it wouldn't really take advantage of powerful PC's.

Interesting bunch, those PC gamers.....

It doesn't. It needs modded like hell to look half decent.

Then when a game is said to support high end specs like this, with lots of graphical options and day one DX 11 support, why are PC gamers still complaining?

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#115  Edited By PerryVandell

Normally I wouldn't have bought the PC version, but getting Max Payne 1 & 2 for free was a deal I couldn't pass up. Hopefully Max Payne 3 has a better release than the PC version of GTA IV.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#116  Edited By bybeach

The HD space requirement! I mean I can meet it but jeeeeeeez!

As for the rest,well..I'm close. Memory is up to 12 gig now, triple channel. I have a I7 3.06 quad, and 2 570's. I'll make a jump for the cieling, probably won't smack against it but a good effort just the same.

oddface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By oddface

Ugh, it's been so frustrating to watch the internet react to these specs as if the high end hardware they listed are the recommended specs. If you would just stop and think for 3 seconds you would see how fucking ridiculous it would be for R* to require the absolute most recent, highest-end CPU and GPUandthe most RAM you could possibly fit inside your computer to max the game out.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#118  Edited By vitor

@Oddface said:

Ugh, it's been so frustrating to watch the internet react to these specs as if the high end hardware they listed are the recommended specs. If you would just stop and think for 3 seconds you would see how fucking ridiculous it would be for R* to require the absolute most recent, highest-end CPU and GPUandthe most RAM you could possibly fit inside your computer to max the game out.

I think someone needs to make a thread explaining this.

Does noone think for themselves anymore? That's clearly just a list of ALL compatible hardware. Christ...

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Subjugation

@Oddface said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. I have a really hard time believing that second set of parts is the recommended specs.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

29gb of that will be the hidden sex mini-game.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By fjordson

I think I have an idea about what a good chunk of the 35 GB may be. After reading Klepek's interview with the lead gameplay designer where he dodges the question about fake TV shows returning (I've seen R* dodge this question multiple times now in interviews and on their official site's newswire) and seeing this:

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/xbox360/xbox360-news/18987/max-payne-3-feature-4-hours-video

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has today revealed the certificate awarded to the forthcoming Max Payne 3 videogame. As would have been expected by many gamers, Max Payne 3 will be available for purchase by gamers over the age of eighteen only, but the bigger surprise comes in the detailing of the videogame’s motion-picture content.
    According to the BBFC’s classification of Max Payne 3, the video content included within the retail package runs for over four hours. Included within this are the Max Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Multiplayer Gameplay Part One, Max Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Creating a Cutting Edge Action-Shooter, Max Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Targeting and Weapons andMax Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Visual Effects and Cinematicstrailers, which present a total duration of thirteen minutes and thirty two seconds. Four additional trailers for the videogame are also included, running a total duration of five minutes and twelve seconds. This sees the trailers take-up a total duration of eighteen minutes and forty four seconds, so exactly what the remaining three hours, fifty one minutes and sixteen seconds will be is yet to be confirmed. It would be a considerable stretch to believe that Max Payne 3 features four hours and ten minutes of cutscenes as the classification suggests.

I'd be willing to bet that they're going to have a bunch of shows like the first two games. Wouldn't even be the first time R* has put fake television into one of their games.

A couple hours of 1080p video would definitely take up a decent amount of space.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#122  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Fjordson said:

I think I have an idea about what a good chunk of the 35 GB may be. After reading Klepek's interview with the lead gameplay designer where he dodges the question about fake TV shows returning (I've seen R* dodge this question multiple times now in interviews and on their official site's newswire) and seeing this:

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/xbox360/xbox360-news/18987/max-payne-3-feature-4-hours-video

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has today revealed the certificate awarded to the forthcoming Max Payne 3 videogame. As would have been expected by many gamers, Max Payne 3 will be available for purchase by gamers over the age of eighteen only, but the bigger surprise comes in the detailing of the videogame’s motion-picture content.
    According to the BBFC’s classification of Max Payne 3, the video content included within the retail package runs for over four hours. Included within this are the Max Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Multiplayer Gameplay Part One, Max Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Creating a Cutting Edge Action-Shooter, Max Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Targeting and Weapons andMax Payne 3 – Design and Technology Series – Visual Effects and Cinematicstrailers, which present a total duration of thirteen minutes and thirty two seconds. Four additional trailers for the videogame are also included, running a total duration of five minutes and twelve seconds. This sees the trailers take-up a total duration of eighteen minutes and forty four seconds, so exactly what the remaining three hours, fifty one minutes and sixteen seconds will be is yet to be confirmed. It would be a considerable stretch to believe that Max Payne 3 features four hours and ten minutes of cutscenes as the classification suggests.

I'd be willing to bet that they're going to have a bunch of shows like the first two games. Wouldn't even be the first time R* has put fake television into one of their games.

A couple hours of 1080p video would definitely take up a decent amount of space.

As a great poet once said, wee wee wee so excited, we so excited, we gonna have a ball next month.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Still trying to get 60 frames per second on Grand Theft Auto IV :(

anzejk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By anzejk

You are all wrong. These are just minimum system req. and supported hardware. You don't need 8 core and 16 gb of ram to run it properly. The game just supports the newest hardware. Rockstar said that on their official page.

Rek503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#125  Edited By Rek503

I was trying to figure out if I am going to get this on the pc or console, but I'm unsure if will be able to run it decently on my computer. My computers specs are:

• AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core 5600 2.8ghz
    • 4gb of ram
    • ATI Radeon HD 5700

My computer is a couple of years old at this point. I'm not very good with computers, so I'm not sure of how my computer would handle Max Payne 3. Any thoughts if it will run acceptably, or should I just get it on the a console?

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#126  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@Rek503: If you're really wondering, and don't have a ton of money right now, just wait until after release man.. see how things level out and if people are talking about the game not running well on 'decent' machines. I'd say it's pretty safe to assume it will run fine on your PC though, and if you really like the console game on PC experience (with a controller even) you should hang back and do just that, wait a day or maybe a week or something.

Don't think there will be a demo though, sadly.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Tsoglani

@MikkaQ said:

@Animasta said:

@themangalist said:

In an age where terabytes are dirt cheap, I see no problem in 35 gigabytes. But I'd be lying if I said I have 35GB to spare.

that's not really the problem though, it's that internet speeds aren't good enough. Well, in some places, I mean. It took me 20 hours to download LA Noire, and that was half that size.

I have the opposite problem, I could download that in like two hours, but it would cost me $70 to download since I'm always over my data cap, and in corporate Canada the monopoly of Rogers likes to charge $2 per gig for overage.

I would be rapt with $2 per gig overcharge! Currently, I would get charged per 50 MB if I went over. Bloody hell, would much rather Canadian Rogers than this Aussie shit rip off.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By MeierTheRed

Don't shit your pants people.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Grillbar

i will properly play it on the console but if i diddent why cant i play it at max. i still have not found a game that i cant play. and it looks like the req for this one still is not that bad

the op is there.

cpu is a intel core i7 3,4ghz (actually a 3.33ghz)

ram: i got Corsair DOMINATOR DDR3 PC1600 12GB but i could plot in another 8 if i needed it since they are really cheap but dont think i wull need it.

video card is the Radeon HD5900 black edition 4GB DDR5 aparently really rare (wanted the Radeon PCI-E HD6990 4GB DDR5 but could not find it at the time so it was a choice between the black edition or 2 hd 6950 in crosfire mode)

sound cards are really not that big a req but my onboard is still way better then needed

and hdd space i still have about 1,5TB free or about 170gb on the ssd

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Winternet

@Tsoglani said:

@MikkaQ said:

@Animasta said:

@themangalist said:

In an age where terabytes are dirt cheap, I see no problem in 35 gigabytes. But I'd be lying if I said I have 35GB to spare.

that's not really the problem though, it's that internet speeds aren't good enough. Well, in some places, I mean. It took me 20 hours to download LA Noire, and that was half that size.

I have the opposite problem, I could download that in like two hours, but it would cost me $70 to download since I'm always over my data cap, and in corporate Canada the monopoly of Rogers likes to charge $2 per gig for overage.

I would be rapt with $2 per gig overcharge! Currently, I would get charged per 50 MB if I went over. Bloody hell, would much rather Canadian Rogers than this Aussie shit rip off.

Data caps. I still don't get them.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By korwin

The spec's for this game read like someone just went through a list of the most expensive item's their respective vendors sold and put them on a page. There is no way the actual requirements are that high at all, not unless they've broken the mold and made this game 64-bit native and thus are able to address that 16GB of ram they're telling you it needs.

MrTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By MrTom

Has there been any indication that this uses Steamworks?

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waitaminnit I have the 64 bit version of XP it only goes to sp2....... They just listed something impossible!

@Metal_Mills said:

Max Payne 3 PC System Specifications

Operating System:

Windows 7 32/64 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 32/64 Service Pack 2, Windows XP 32/64 Service Pack 3

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By SlasherMan

@MrTom: It's most likely not Steamworks enabled. The Gamersgate version uses Gameshield as DRM, much like LA Noire did, and I'm assuming it'll be the same for retail. If it were Steamworks, then all versions of the game would require Steam.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By StrikeALight

Max Payne looks like it utilizes all kinds of trickery to get it looking that good on consoles. I wonder how well this translates to the PC version, and if it'll end up being similiar to the GTAIV debacle.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By AiurFlux

Rockstar can't code for the PC. We already know this. Now if it's the Rage engine or it's just being inept I don't know, but they constantly drop the ball when it comes to a PC release. I've seen the game in motion on a 360, there is no fucking way in hell that it should require in any capacity a hexacore CPU with a GTX 680 and 16GB of I'm assuming 1600-1866MHz RAM. The computer to house that would be well over 3 grand. And yes the console will look worse than the PC but not to the level that the hardware is hinting at.

GTA IV was both an anomaly and a complete clusterfuck on PC. MP3 is looking to be the same thing. You simply do not go to Newegg and pick the most expensive pieces of hardware and say, "Hey, to get it maxed out good fucking luck. LOLOLOL!" Honestly I expect it to run more than adequate on a 2600k GTX570 8GB 1600MHz RAM system, and if it doesn't then they done fucked up again and clearly are shit at making PC releases. If they can't do it then they should outsource it to someone that actually can, like BioWare did with the first Mass Effect game.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By valrog
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @StrikeALight said:
    Max Payne looks like it utilizes all kinds of trickery to get it looking that good on consoles. I wonder how well this translates to the PC version
    That, is a good concern. I really hope that Rockstar fucking wake up and realize how futuristic the PC is and give it real next-gen graphical fidelity, not use the visual tricks of the 7 year old Xbox to fool the eyes.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Azteck

Haha LA Noire DRM. 'Cause using that shit will sell more copies. Why devs keep using useless ways to protect the game that only ends up hurting your legit customers I will never understand.

pmurph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By pmurph

@Jayzilla said:

@matthias2437 said:

I'm rocking a I7 3930k @ 4.5 ghz, 32 gb ram, 2x GTX 580, 2x 240 gb SSDs I use for gaming. So correction, I WILL be playing max settings. Also you will not need that high of specs to run that considering the fact that no videogame that will be made in the next 5 years will use 16 gbs of ram, and 6 cores/12 threads.

and yet you have 32 gigs of RAM in your gaming rig?

Hey , he might be into 3d modeling or sound production or some shit i guess.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#142  Edited By Seppli

So I'll just not crank it up all the way - big whoop. Natively rendering a game in 1080p alone makes a world of difference. What they're saying with these speccs is, Max Payne 3 will scale to your heart's content.

Going to opt for the PC version, eventually. Diablo 3 first. So it might take a month or two before I get around to Max Payne 3 anyways. Guild Wars 2 too has a higher priority for me. So despite loving the franchise and Rockstar production quality and polish, I might actually end up holding out 'til the first pricedrop.

Regardless - I wish y'all a lot of fun and enjoyment on Tuesday. I'm sure Max will rock your socks off. Remember - be safe - two to the gut, one to the head. Professional rules.

goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By goatmilk

A Rockstar game ported badly to PC? Colour me surprised!

sirseanconnery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By sirseanconnery
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#145  Edited By ShinjiEx

Take that Crysis!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @ShinjiEx said:
    Take that Crysis!
    That's not nice!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.