Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Max Payne 3 - Thank you, and rest in peace, sweet prince.

• 67 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By AhmadMetallic

This blog is spoiler-free. The title is an Alan Wake script reference.  

Hello I am your host for the evening, Max
      Hello I am your host for the evening, Max "Dual-Wield-It" Payne.
    In 13-14 hours within the last 2 days, I've played and beaten Max Payne 3.  
    For months before the game came out I had so many mixed and profound feelings about it. There was the insane excitement and anticipation to get into the head of my all time favorite protagonist, dearest of all my friends Max Payne, one more (and last) time, so I can bid him farewell like I've waited to do for years. But there also all the things that make video game development simply unfortunate in my eyes.

My worries were: Over-simplifying the game's shooting mechanics and level deisgn so it sells more and has more appeal for the wider, lighter gaming audience. Leaving the sorrowful, heartbreaking and up-close-and-personal noire tale of Max Payne to go for a more generic Rockstar Games character arc. Featuring a sloppy, basic, freedom-restricting form of bullet-time and shootdodging, coupled with the terribad Rockstar shooting (I think it's great in IV and RDR, but it would suck for a linear bullet-time focused game). Totally ruining the game on PC (where Max Payne was born and will always belong) by porting it with their dicks while their hands are tied behind their backs and their eyes closed shut.   
    And most importantly, Max losing his personality and charm. His legendary molongues and one liners during the game's cutscenes and various gameplay moments.
     My favorite throwing up material. 

Two of my three all time favorite franchises had been ruined less than a year ago: Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3. And since they say death comes in threes, it only made sense for me to expect Max to die in this new sequel as well. His soul to die, his action moves and great monologues, not him passing away in the game.
    (P.S. the first BF3 DLC redeemed the game somewhat, and the fall DLC "Armored Kill" looks like it will be the salvation of the game. Here's hoping!)

Were any of my worries legitimate? WAS I RIGHT?!
    I was so wrong

Max Payne 3 (2012)

Blog legend:
    • "Points" means I'm rewarding the game for doing something well. 
    • ">>" is for funny screenshots/interesting observations.
    • P.S. The words in yellow below are LINKED TO SCREENSHOTS. Click on them to enlarge on-screen!
    Game intro:
    "Time to move on, get on with my life. Yes, absolutely. Now, like I said, it was a long time ago. Let it go, seriously." 
    From the opening cutscene where Max has a conversation with himself, trying to convince himself that this new beginning is good for him and that there's no harm in trying this new job, I was hooked. The Max Payne 2 theme was used beautifully, Max looks and sounds like he's the older extension of his 9-years-younger self. Points: 2     

The game has a TON of PC options, from gameplay to controls to graphics, and it runs sooooo smoothly. Points: 6 
    Old man trying to play the piano again. References to MP1 and 2 from the get go? Yes please. 
    Old man trying to play the piano again. References to MP1 and 2 from the get go? Yes please. 
    The game begins with a flash back of the last moment of the story, just like the first two games. Max is reflecting on what he has done so far, with a tone that mixes confidence, regret and uncertainty. Points: 8
    Now to be honest in the first couple of levels (villa party and disco club), I wasn't feeling the gameplay. Max was too heavy, a little clumsy, and I didn't know how to dynamically and swiftly use bullet-time and shootdodging, especially that the mouse sensitivity, even when turned all the way up, was just not high enough to spin the reticule 360 degrees 10 times before hitting the ground. The only way I know how. 

>> Max hanging from a ledge: #1 

In addition to his disorienting weight/movement and the dissatisfying shootdodges/mouse sensitivity, the camera effects were pretty ridiculous as well. I mean, come on. Those were my initial impressions, bear in mind. 
    I also wasn't fond of taking cover in a Max Payne game, but seeing as the shootdodging wasn't very fun and the weapon controls just felt weird, i found myself either taking cover or repeating the gunfights over and over until I finished them untouched. The only way I know how.  
    Yes, I actually restart the checkpoint over and over til i empty a room or clear a yard untouched, or with minimal damage taken. 
    However the game gets a couple of points for having proper Max Payne levels to be explored. I felt right at home. I mean, exploring a dirty bathroom is so Max Payne. Ohhh yeeeahhh. Points: 10

>> KILL CAM : "Don't shoot the gun out of my hand while I'm dancing!" 
    >> Glitch/bug #1 and #2 - misplaced cart light / Wall behind the door.
    >> AERIAL SHOOTDODGE.
    >> These textures are kinda shit. 
    >>You know what I used to do in Max Payne 1? Try to shootdodge outside the map. MP3 totally let me do that, haha. Look how far he got :D  Points: 12 

I slowly began to enjoy how gritty and rugged this whole experience is. It felt natural and made sense that an old man Max in a stranger land would turn into such an alien rather than feel familiar. And it was my mission to conquer this alien, tame him and bring him home. 
    His confusion, cynicism and moodiness played a great role in presenting his state of mind in this game.
     Beautiful.
     Beautiful.
    And then we're back in New York. The place I've literally lived in as Max Payne for all these years. And it looks. so. damn. identical. to MP1 and 2...  POINTS: 20   
    >> Is it me, or is Max's tie supposed to resemble his old shirt from MP1? (The one lying in the bathroom in MP2, by the way). FUCK that's awesome!
    Again, totally makes sense that this old man Max is sitting in a bar drinking his life away, being messed with by the younger generation of New Jersey. The story and Max's old tired voice are starting to grow on me, but what about the gameplay?  
     >> Max hanging from a ledge: #2
    >> Running through a burning apartment building is SO MAX PAYNE 2. This, too. Points: 22 
    >> This rifle is ALIVE! 
    >>This guy forgot his face

Escape from New York (JUST LOOK AT IT) with Passos after having the best nostalgia-drenched fan service I've seen in ages, with a huge smile on my face, and then begins the FIRST STEALTH MISSION IN MAX PAYNE HISTORY! Playing stealth in Max Payne just felt.. really cool! Look at him sneaking around with his silenced pistol :D 

>> Yo, remember in Max Payne 1 when you shoot the yellow tire stopper to make the big trailer roll onto the enemies? MAX PAYNE 3 DID IT! Points: 24 
    >> Kudos on bringing back Captain Baseball Bat Boy, but too bad it kinda sucks and is in Portuguese. Too bad you didn't bring back Address Unknown. Thanks for trying, though. 
    >> Remember finding a camera recording a prostitution room in MP1? Another homage right here! Points: 25 
    >> This hobo must be the grandson of Irish from Red Dead Redemption. He's also a reference to the hobo from MP2.
    Boom. 
    Boom. 
    Then in the next level, I had it. I had enough. I thought that I will either make the combat feel like real swift Max Payne, or I'm done. 
    I bumped up my mouse DPI to 2000, and set the DPI increase button on my mouse to go up to 5000 DPI when i hit it, and down to 2000 when I decrease is. 
    And then..... The real Max Payne action came to life
    When I pulled that shit off and recorded it, I was ecstatic. This is Max Payne. You run circling around the enemies, you mix bullet-time with real-time, you shootdodge, and switch weapons on the go. 
    YES!  POINTS: 35

No Caption Provided
    And just when I found the controls recipe to return Max to his former action glory, the next cutscene returned him to his glorious, determined personality. He shaves his hair,and, just like Sam Lake described it, he turned from a punching bag to someone who delivers punches. He shaved his head as a ritualistic act to regain control over himself. 
    I fully endorse Skinhead Max. 
    "I felt like a fool. I was a sweaty, grey-haired mess. This place, well.. this place was gonna kill me too. I can see that now. I decided that I was gonna die sober, not drunk. At least then I would see who shot me." 
    "IT WAS TIME TO TAKE BACK CONTROL from whoever was out to get me. If I didn't flush them out, at least my mid-life crisis would confuse them enough so they did something stupid. It was the only hope I had. I knew I wasn't thinking straight, I'd been drinking and popping painkillers for years." 

>> Max hanging from a ledge #3 
    >> Glitch/bug #3: Shootdodging to the right made some form of surface slide with me to the side and sweep the screen!  
    >> Construction site = So Max Payne :D
    >> This favela is beautiful.

Another flashback to New York.  
    It's been nine years since I first saw Max witness the death of his wife and daughter, and this shit still gets to me.  
    It's been nine years since I first saw Max witness the death of his wife and daughter, and this shit still gets to me.  
    "We'd only been married a short time. By now she's been dead longer than I knew her. I still haven't really forgiven myself for the Mona business, but I knew that was just grief. The insanity that comes with losing the life you had just built. Michelle.. I missed her with every part of my being. I hated the world for not killing me with her, and I hated myself for allowing this to happen to her, and our little girl. But I knew I had to leave town."   
    Michelle and Rose.After 11 years of the release of the first game, we learn his dead baby daughter's name. Just look how sad  he is :(  

The first time a game has made me tear up in years.  

No Caption Provided
    The remaining few chapters elevate the action, the intelligence and armor and accuracy of the enemies, diversifies the environments some more and consist of being raped by Spec Ops soldiers. I love all of it because it's exactly the way Max Payne 1's last few chapters went through.  
    >> This bathroom is pretty  
    >> Enemies waiting on the staircase ready to jump out and pop me is SO Max Payne 1. 
    >> Filthy apartment building, totally Max Payne 2. 
    >> Let's go for a SWIM!
    >> Finding the story's big revelation on a top security computer. Just like Max Payne 1 (proof
    >>Take cover underneath this plant!
    >> A green-lit haze environment, even if it happened for a few seconds, was a TERRIFIC Max Payne 1 throwback (here's why)  
    >> If you've beaten the game, you'll understand this.
    >> Projector room, just like Max Payne 1   
    >> Watching surveillance cameras is so Max Payne 1 (proof) (sexy proof

While going through the police station killing the cops and spec ops soldiers, in the most intense and dark of moments while in there, Max utters my now-all time favorite MP quote:  
    No Caption Provided

"Another dark rainy night. Another police station. Another futile crusade for amends... Time moves forward, and nothing changes."  

Fucking goosebumps. Points: 300

Killing more cops and going deep into the station, Max begins wondering why he's in this situation, what he's trying to achieve. And he references the Nightmare sequences from the first two games: 
    "It was starting to feel as if I'd never leave that place. Like one of those nightmares where you keep running and running only to discover you're chasing yourself."  
    Here's what he meant by "chasing yourself" <== The first nightmare sequence from MP1, you end up killing yourself. 

The final level is an amazing and extremely difficult action level where this AWESOME and absolutely fitting song plays: 

The game ends,  

and I am completely fulfilled, from every aspect possible. 
    Thank you Rockstar for allowing me to have one more and last adventure in the shoes of my all time favorite character.  
    To you I said hello 9 years ago. We've had a good run, man. 
     And to you I say goodbye. A late goodbye. Rest in peace, Max.
    Now I know what purpose the credit song in MP2 serves: 

Thanks for reading.  

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

This blog is spoiler-free. The title is an Alan Wake script reference.  

Hello I am your host for the evening, Max
      Hello I am your host for the evening, Max "Dual-Wield-It" Payne.
    In 13-14 hours within the last 2 days, I've played and beaten Max Payne 3.  
    For months before the game came out I had so many mixed and profound feelings about it. There was the insane excitement and anticipation to get into the head of my all time favorite protagonist, dearest of all my friends Max Payne, one more (and last) time, so I can bid him farewell like I've waited to do for years. But there also all the things that make video game development simply unfortunate in my eyes.

My worries were: Over-simplifying the game's shooting mechanics and level deisgn so it sells more and has more appeal for the wider, lighter gaming audience. Leaving the sorrowful, heartbreaking and up-close-and-personal noire tale of Max Payne to go for a more generic Rockstar Games character arc. Featuring a sloppy, basic, freedom-restricting form of bullet-time and shootdodging, coupled with the terribad Rockstar shooting (I think it's great in IV and RDR, but it would suck for a linear bullet-time focused game). Totally ruining the game on PC (where Max Payne was born and will always belong) by porting it with their dicks while their hands are tied behind their backs and their eyes closed shut.   
    And most importantly, Max losing his personality and charm. His legendary molongues and one liners during the game's cutscenes and various gameplay moments.

Two of my three all time favorite franchises had been ruined less than a year ago: Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3. And since they say death comes in threes, it only made sense for me to expect Max to die in this new sequel as well. His soul to die, his action moves and great monologues, not him passing away in the game.
    (P.S. the first BF3 DLC redeemed the game somewhat, and the fall DLC "Armored Kill" looks like it will be the salvation of the game. Here's hoping!)

Were any of my worries legitimate? WAS I RIGHT?!
    I was so wrong

Max Payne 3 (2012)

Blog legend:
    • "Points" means I'm rewarding the game for doing something well. 
    • ">>" is for funny screenshots/interesting observations.
    • P.S. The words in yellow below are LINKED TO SCREENSHOTS. Click on them to enlarge on-screen!
    Game intro:
    "Time to move on, get on with my life. Yes, absolutely. Now, like I said, it was a long time ago. Let it go, seriously." 
    From the opening cutscene where Max has a conversation with himself, trying to convince himself that this new beginning is good for him and that there's no harm in trying this new job, I was hooked. The Max Payne 2 theme was used beautifully, Max looks and sounds like he's the older extension of his 9-years-younger self. Points: 2     

The game has a TON of PC options, from gameplay to controls to graphics, and it runs sooooo smoothly. Points: 6 
    The game begins with a flash back of the last moment of the story, just like the first two games. Max is reflecting on what he has done so far, with a tone that mixes confidence, regret and uncertainty. Points: 8
    Now to be honest in the first couple of levels (villa party and disco club), I wasn't feeling the gameplay. Max was too heavy, a little clumsy, and I didn't know how to dynamically and swiftly use bullet-time and shootdodging, especially that the mouse sensitivity, even when turned all the way up, was just not high enough to spin the reticule 360 degrees 10 times before hitting the ground. The only way I know how. 

>> Max hanging from a ledge: #1 

In addition to his disorienting weight/movement and the dissatisfying shootdodges/mouse sensitivity, the camera effects were pretty ridiculous as well. I mean, come on. Those were my initial impressions, bear in mind. 
    I also wasn't fond of taking cover in a Max Payne game, but seeing as the shootdodging wasn't very fun and the weapon controls just felt weird, i found myself either taking cover or repeating the gunfights over and over until I finished them untouched. The only way I know how.  
    Yes, I actually restart the checkpoint over and over til i empty a room or clear a yard untouched, or with minimal damage taken. 
    However the game gets a couple of points for having proper Max Payne levels to be explored. I felt right at home. I mean, exploring a dirty bathroom is so Max Payne. Ohhh yeeeahhh. Points: 10

>> KILL CAM : "Don't shoot the gun out of my hand while I'm dancing!" 
    >> Glitch/bug #1 and #2 - misplaced cart light / Wall behind the door.
    >> AERIAL SHOOTDODGE.
    >> These textures are kinda shit. 
    >>You know what I used to do in Max Payne 1? Try to shootdodge outside the map. MP3 totally let me do that, haha. Look how far he got :D  Points: 12 

I slowly began to enjoy how gritty and rugged this whole experience is. It felt natural and made sense that an old man Max in a stranger land would turn into such an alien rather than feel familiar. And it was my mission to conquer this alien, tame him and bring him home. 
    His confusion, cynicism and moodiness played a great role in presenting his state of mind in this game.
     Beautiful.
     Beautiful.
    And then we're back in New York. The place I've literally lived in as Max Payne for all these years. And it looks. so. damn. identical. to MP1 and 2...  POINTS: 20   
    >> Is it me, or is Max's tie supposed to resemble his old shirt from MP1? (The one lying in the bathroom in MP2, by the way). FUCK that's awesome!
    Again, totally makes sense that this old man Max is sitting in a bar drinking his life away, being messed with by the younger generation of New Jersey. The story and Max's old tired voice are starting to grow on me, but what about the gameplay?  
     >> Max hanging from a ledge: #2
    >> Running through a burning apartment building is SO MAX PAYNE 2. This, too. Points: 22 
    >> This rifle is ALIVE! 
    >>This guy forgot his face

Escape from New York (JUST LOOK AT IT) with Passos after having the best nostalgia-drenched fan service I've seen in ages, with a huge smile on my face, and then begins the FIRST STEALTH MISSION IN MAX PAYNE HISTORY! Playing stealth in Max Payne just felt.. really cool! Look at him sneaking around with his silenced pistol :D 

>> Yo, remember in Max Payne 1 when you shoot the yellow tire stopper to make the big trailer roll onto the enemies? MAX PAYNE 3 DID IT! Points: 24 
    >> Kudos on bringing back Captain Baseball Bat Boy, but too bad it kinda sucks and is in Portuguese. Too bad you didn't bring back Address Unknown. Thanks for trying, though. 
    >> Remember finding a camera recording a prostitution room in MP1? Another homage right here! Points: 25 
    >> This hobo must be the grandson of Irish from Red Dead Redemption. He's also a reference to the hobo from MP2.
    Boom. 
    Boom. 
    Then in the next level, I had it. I had enough. I thought that I will either make the combat feel like real swift Max Payne, or I'm done. 
    I bumped up my mouse DPI to 2000, and set the DPI increase button on my mouse to go up to 5000 DPI when i hit it, and down to 2000 when I decrease is. 
    And then..... The real Max Payne action came to life
    When I pulled that shit off and recorded it, I was ecstatic. This is Max Payne. You run circling around the enemies, you mix bullet-time with real-time, you shootdodge, and switch weapons on the go. 
    YES!  POINTS: 35

No Caption Provided
    And just when I found the controls recipe to return Max to his former action glory, the next cutscene returned him to his glorious, determined personality. He shaves his hair,and, just like Sam Lake described it, he turned from a punching bag to someone who delivers punches. He shaved his head as a ritualistic act to regain control over himself. 
    I fully endorse Skinhead Max. 
    "I felt like a fool. I was a sweaty, grey-haired mess. This place, well.. this place was gonna kill me too. I can see that now. I decided that I was gonna die sober, not drunk. At least then I would see who shot me." 
    "IT WAS TIME TO TAKE BACK CONTROL from whoever was out to get me. If I didn't flush them out, at least my mid-life crisis would confuse them enough so they did something stupid. It was the only hope I had. I knew I wasn't thinking straight, I'd been drinking and popping painkillers for years." 

>> Max hanging from a ledge #3 
    >> Glitch/bug #3: Shootdodging to the right made some form of surface slide with me to the side and sweep the screen!  
    >> Construction site = So Max Payne :D
    >> This favela is beautiful.

Another flashback to New York.  
    "We'd only been married a short time. By now she's been dead longer than I knew her. I still haven't really forgiven myself for the Mona business, but I knew that was just grief. The insanity that comes with losing the life you had just built. Michelle.. I missed her with every part of my being. I hated the world for not killing me with her, and I hated myself for allowing this to happen to her, and our little girl. But I knew I had to leave town."   
    Michelle and Rose.After 11 years of the release of the first game, we learn his dead baby daughter's name. Just look how sad  he is :(  

The first time a game has made me tear up in years.  

No Caption Provided
    The remaining few chapters elevate the action, the intelligence and armor and accuracy of the enemies, diversifies the environments some more and consist of being raped by Spec Ops soldiers. I love all of it because it's exactly the way Max Payne 1's last few chapters went through.  
    >> This bathroom is pretty  
    >> Enemies waiting on the staircase ready to jump out and pop me is SO Max Payne 1. 
    >> Filthy apartment building, totally Max Payne 2. 
    >> Let's go for a SWIM!
    >> Finding the story's big revelation on a top security computer. Just like Max Payne 1 (proof
    >>Take cover underneath this plant!
    >> A green-lit haze environment, even if it happened for a few seconds, was a TERRIFIC Max Payne 1 throwback (here's why)  
    >> If you've beaten the game, you'll understand this.
    >> Projector room, just like Max Payne 1   
    >> Watching surveillance cameras is so Max Payne 1 (proof) (sexy proof

While going through the police station killing the cops and spec ops soldiers, in the most intense and dark of moments while in there, Max utters my now-all time favorite MP quote:  
    No Caption Provided

"Another dark rainy night. Another police station. Another futile crusade for amends... Time moves forward, and nothing changes."  

Fucking goosebumps. Points: 300

Killing more cops and going deep into the station, Max begins wondering why he's in this situation, what he's trying to achieve. And he references the Nightmare sequences from the first two games: 
    "It was starting to feel as if I'd never leave that place. Like one of those nightmares where you keep running and running only to discover you're chasing yourself."  
    Here's what he meant by "chasing yourself" <== The first nightmare sequence from MP1, you end up killing yourself. 

The final level is an amazing and extremely difficult action level where this AWESOME and absolutely fitting song plays: 

The game ends,  

and I am completely fulfilled, from every aspect possible. 
    Thank you Rockstar for allowing me to have one more and last adventure in the shoes of my all time favorite character.  
    Now I know what purpose the credit song in MP2 serves: 

Thanks for reading.  

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

Glad you enjoyed it =). I'm still trying to truck my way through 1 and 2 to connect some dots in 3. Although I did get far enough to recognize a particular name on a particular gravestone

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss

That sound cloud auto-started and I was wondering what the fuck was going on.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I finally finished it last night after playing it off and on for three weeks. I'd say it's about six hours too long and the combat is pretty bland, but I already told you that.

:)

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sooty

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I finally finished it last night after playing it off and on for three weeks. I'd say it's about six hours too long and the combat is pretty bland, but I already told you that.

:)

I agree with this, the way the camera switches side so often got really annoying on keyboard too.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DukesT3

Yeah. The last part was pretty goddamn amazing with that music going in the background.. gave me chills.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By BaneFireLord
    @Guided_By_Tigers said:

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Strife777

Good to know you actually changed your mind and enjoyed it that much.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Chop

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

This happened to me too. I had about 10 tabs open and had to scroll through them all to figure out what was going on.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I don't agree with you often, but man you nailed Max Payne 3 for me.

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Linkin10362

This was a really good read. I never played the first two Max Payne games, but I'm glad that it lives up to their legacy in your mind. Max Payne 3 definitely seemed like a good closing act.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By leebmx

Really loved your piece. I haven't played 1 or 2 so can't comment in that respect but your impression of the game were almost exactly mine. I kind of liked the first few levels and then I fiddled around with the aiming speeds and the character and atmosphere enveloped me and I was totally absorbed.

All the action/shooters out there that try and make you feel like a bad-ass fall at Max's feet. There is no comparison between being stuck behind a gun in COD or in cover in Gears with diving majestically down stairs in slow motion or flinging yourself across a room of enemies and popping off head shots in this game. I let myself die on certain sections just so I could have the pleasure of playing them again.

Also the game was hard, but in a genuine non-cheesy way, the last fight by the plane when you are getting greneaded took me ages but I always felt it was my fault rather than the game.

Playing this game really made me wish I had played 1&2 when they came out and had that kind of seminal experience with them but I doubt it would be the same if I went back.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bybeach

I am really enjoying this too, though it hits me as overly brutal..that is I already understand that without pieces getting blown off.. I'm also dealing w/ a little frustration w/a sniper right now. But most of Max's moves are decent to excellent, and there does seem to be the story. I'm a little irritated by Rockstar, Max was not a loser, he was crushed by life and yet he fought back, though of course he has become his own worst enemy, something I think he would readily admit.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Subjugation

Man, that final sequence where that song you embedded breaks in made me feel like I wasn't playing a game, it made me feel like I was playing a movie (in a good sense). In fact, the whole game felt like playing a movie. What I mean is that from start to finish the game has a certain cinematic quality to it. The way the story is written and told and played out before your eyes ... it really did draw me in. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago when I shot those first couple goons in the subway of MP1 ... man, time flies.

Also, I can't state how much I enjoyed the New Jersey sequence. That flashback was a perfect homage to previous Max Payne titles. Wandering Hoboken at night with a pistol in hand and snow on the ground, that is Max Payne.

said: >>Take cover underneath this planet!

I was expecting something crazy, but then I realized you meant to say plant. I was disappointed.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Chop said:

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

This happened to me too. I had about 10 tabs open and had to scroll through them all to figure out what was going on.

Fixed now. 

@Oldirtybearon

said:

I don't agree with you often, but man you nailed Max Payne 3 for me.

I'm glad!  

@Linkin10362

said:

This was a really good read. I never played the first two Max Payne games, but I'm glad that it lives up to their legacy in your mind. Max Payne 3 definitely seemed like a good closing act.

It absolutely is, and thanks for reading. 
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By toowalrus

Read the whole thing, I can't wait to finish the game. I've got 6 chapters left, I'll finish it soon, I'll probably play some more after work (though I've still been spending far, far too much time with Diablo).

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Now you have to jump into multiplayer.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DharmaBum

Great series of blog posts, duder! It's interesting to view the trilogy as a whole now.

This is definitely my current game of the year - it had me hooked the entire way through, and I tried to soak up every morsel of bullet ballet nostalgia that it had to offer. Such a seamless, exhilarating rendition of the Max Payne formula, done with beautiful set design and brilliantly modernized gunplay that transcends the confines of its genre. I walked away satisfied that Rockstar had done their homework while not leaning too heavily on the established material.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By connerthekewlkid

may payne 3 is pretty cool right guys?

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jjnen

@AhmadMetallic: Did you just spoil me the ending? I haven't yet finished what I think is the last level (airport) because all the dudes keep shooting at me. All of them. And I keep dying.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hoossy

nice blog post

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By altairre

@AhmadMetallic: GOD DAMN IT''S THE IRISH GUY FROM RDR! I tried to figure that out the whole game after I saw him. Drove me nuts. Knew I saw him before and was bewildered by the voice because I expected Irish's voice subconsciously. Oh yeah and MP3 on the PC is fucking awesome and in every way superior to the console ones. You can actually play it like a Max Payne game because fuck cover! Shootdodging all day long, son.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ghostiet

This... is actually a pretty good read. I expected nit-picking from you, considering how hostile you were towards this game. Instead, I got a pretty awesome write-up from someone who absolutely loved the game.

Bra-fucking-vo, sir.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @leebmx said:

All the action/shooters out there that try and make you feel like a bad-ass fall at Max's feet. There is no comparison between being stuck behind a gun in COD or in cover in Gears with diving majestically down stairs in slow motion or flinging yourself across a room of enemies and popping off head shots in this game.

You just got yourself a follower, good sir. 

Also the game was hard, but in a genuine non-cheesy way, the last fight by the plane when you are getting greneaded took me ages but I always felt it was my fault rather than the game.

Actually that last 3 gunfights in the game clearly were Rockstar's "Fuck it, we can't figure out how to intelligently make these levels any harder, lets give the enemies super powers and force the player into cover" move, but hey, I forgive them, the 13 other chapters were perfect. 
    I mean that last airport boss battle was absurd and unacceptable.  

Playing this game really made me wish I had played 1&2 when they came out and had that kind of seminal experience with them but I doubt it would be the same if I went back.

You can still do it now, man! Get both games on PC, install them, turn out the lights, put your headphones on, grab the mouse and have a blast. They honestly have barely dated. 

@Subjugation said:

Man, that final sequence where that song you embedded breaks in made me feel like I wasn't playing a game, it made me feel like I was playing a movie (in a good sense). In fact, the whole game felt like playing a movie. What I mean is that from start to finish the game has a certain cinematic quality to it. The way the story is written and told and played out before your eyes ... it really did draw me in. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago when I shot those first couple goons in the subway of MP1 ... man, time flies.

Also, I can't state how much I enjoyed the New Jersey sequence. That flashback was a perfect homage to previous Max Payne titles. Wandering Hoboken at night with a pistol in hand and snow on the ground, that is Max Payne.

@AhmadMetallic said: >>Take cover underneath this planet!

I was expecting something crazy, but then I realized you meant to say plant. I was disappointed.

Always love a good Max Payne nostalgia, thanks for sharing! And lol at the planet thing. Fixed now, sorry! :D
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last level with that song playing was so so so so good. I loved this game. I was kind of iffy about the shooting at first but once I got used to it (~15 minutes or so) I fucking loved it. It'll be the first game in at least a year and a half that I play through more than once.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Lebensbaum said:

Great series of blog posts, duder! It's interesting to view the trilogy as a whole now.

This is definitely my current game of the year - it had me hooked the entire way through, and I tried to soak up every morsel of bullet ballet nostalgia that it had to offer. Such a seamless, exhilarating rendition of the Max Payne formula, done with beautiful set design and brilliantly modernized gunplay that transcends the confines of its genre. I walked away satisfied that Rockstar had done their homework while not leaning too heavily on the established material.

Awesome goddamn post!

@Rappelsiini said:

@AhmadMetallic: Did you just spoil me the ending? I haven't yet finished what I think is the last level (airport) because all the dudes keep shooting at me. All of them. And I keep dying.

No, the title is an Alan Wake reference, not a Max Payne 3 spoiler. Also, Haha, all of the dudes. Yeah, the last 3 gunfights are extremely unfair. Sadly you have to stick to cover and keep popping heads, for a looooooooong time.

@altairre said:

@AhmadMetallic: GOD DAMN IT''S THE IRISH GUY FROM RDR! I tried to figure that out the whole game after I saw him. Drove me nuts. Knew I saw him before and was bewildered by the voice because I expected Irish's voice subconsciously.

No Caption Provided

I know @Abyssfull would love this. Maybe he'll even play MP3 because of it!

GinjaAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GinjaAssassin

That final section DOES have the perfect music cue. I'm so glad you pointed that out. I had a tough time getting through it like the first 50 times, but that music kept me pumped up and entertained.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By mosdl

Playing on normal@AhmadMetallic said:

Actually that last 3 gunfights in the game clearly were Rockstar's "Fuck it, we can't figure out how to intelligently make these levels any harder, lets give the enemies super powers and force the player into cover" move, but hey, I forgive them, the 13 other chapters were perfect.
    I mean that last airport boss battle was absurd and unacceptable.

Boss fights always suck, the ones in MP 1/2 were not that great either. I wish games would just remove them.

Surprisngly I played the entire game using pretty much only shootdodge and blind fire and it never got boring.

MaskofMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MaskofMan

Great review post! Just enough extra goodies added in to avoid any tldr issues... and it gave me a chance to show a buddy the great music Health did for the game. Now he's online looking to download the soundtrack... lol

Arouga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Arouga

In a very weird way.. I was waiting for your approval of Max Payne 3. Now i am happy.

I even completed it myself and was still waiting to see what you thought and i am now very happy and all i can really say is... yea... What a game.

and the part where the HEALTH song kicks in, dear god. I felt so fucking badass and just thought "It's you and me Max. Let's fucking do it the way it should be done." and just went into this crazy moment of shootdoging and rolling and holding F to go into the roll and picking up the weapon, activating bullet time and just... unloading all the ammo and throwing away the weapon and finding another.. So good.

After the dissapointment that was Battlefield 3, Max Payne came in and fixed this broken heart. Thank you Rockstar.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Arouga said:

and the part where the HEALTH song kicks in, dear god. I felt so fucking badass and just thought "It's you and me Max. Let's fucking do it the way it should be done." and just went into this crazy moment of shootdoging and rolling and holding F to go into the roll and picking up the weapon, activating bullet time and just... unloading all the ammo and throwing away the weapon and finding another.. So good.

Haha, couldn't be more perfect! 

@MaskofMan  said: 

Great review post! Just enough extra goodies added in to avoid any tldr issues... and it gave me a chance to show a buddy the great music Health did for the game. Now he's online looking to download the soundtrack... lol

Thanks, appreciated! 
    Rockstar should pay me for getting their soundtrack sold!
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Kazona

I completely agree with you. Just one question. Did you use the tracking and slow down features? I've finished the game, but all throughout I couldn't decide whether I hated or loved those features.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShaggE

This really is one hell of an amazing game that just doesn't let go, even after you've finished it. It's not flawless, but I'll think back on MP3 as one of my favorite games for many years to come.

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

It may be hard to believe, but there was never a doubt in my mind that Rockstar wouldn't do Max Payne justice. And lo and behold, my faith in them is vindicated.

It's good to hear from people who enjoy Max Payne games, and it's great to know that Max Payne 3 did not disappoint you. Definitely on my Best of 2012 list!

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mandude

So if we both loved Max Payne and Crysis, but you hated Crysis 2 and I loved it, this can only mean that because you loved Max Payne 3, I must hate it.

Thank you, sir. You have saved me 60 munnies.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Eaxis

Really enjoyed the blog post. I am almost done with my second playtrough on hard and It is fun the second time around knowing where the enemies are to get the upper hand on them, and the skills from playing it once made the combat more fun the second time around. Some parts are unfair even with cover like a certain boat deck and airport.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Kazona said:

I completely agree with you. Just one question. Did you use the tracking and slow down features? I've finished the game, but all throughout I couldn't decide whether I hated or loved those features.

I turn any and all assisting systems off.  I like it raw and challenging.

@mandude said:

you hated Crysis 2 and I loved it

It's like I don't know you anymore. Please just pack your stuff and.... leave... Just leave!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great blog man I just finished the game today part of me wish it was longer it was so good. The last level was really hard but that's what I loved about it finally a modern game that's actually doesn't hold your hand and it makes you think tactically also when that song starts playing boy it really felt damn epic RS did such a great great job with this game I don't know any other Dev that could pull it off.I also feel the same too about BF3 and Crysis 2 those games are former shells of what they use to be everything that made them good is either gone or has has been dumbed down for the COD crowd it really is shit thank goodness for Rockstar and Remedy definitely my two favorite developers without them gaming would be pretty much shit.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By ArcBorealis

Finished the game earlier today, and I loved it. And the things you brought up about it made me appreciate it a whole lot more (as expected from a huge Max Payne fan like yourself).

Also, how the hell did I miss Captain Baseball Bat Boy? Only TV thing I saw was an advertisement for pain killers. Must not have looked hard enough, or I didn't wait long enough to show up on the TV that I watched the ad on.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By laserbolts

Good to see you enjoyed it. I'm hoping to start playing it soon because it sounds awesome.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By Phatmac

While I mostly disagree with you on Max Payne 3, I can see why you'd like it so much. Great read.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kishinfoulux

Great post and I agree. The game is pretty damn awesome.

madmanmaple89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By madmanmaple89

Good read, sir. This game is just incredible. I appreciate that Rockstar made a real Max Payne game, not something with a pointless, open world or something with regenerating health. This game stuck to the basic Max Payne formula and tweaked enough to make it keep up with the times. This game was hard as hell, but shooting is near pitch-perfect, something Rockstar has struggled with for years. Also, the atmosphere and music is some of the best seen or heard in any other game. I couldn't be more pleased with this game. GTA IV and Red Dead might have been more well-received by reviewers, but this game is way better overall.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Twiggy199

You best not of spoiled the ending for me with the title of your thread, if so, next time, be more subtle. Because that would be a real dick move.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Twiggy199 said:

You best not of spoiled the ending for me with the title of your thread, if so, next time, be more subtle. Because that would be a real dick move.

Read the very first sentence in the blog.
    Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Twiggy199

Oh thank god, i didn't dare read a sentence but then i saw you had 18,000 posts and thought theres no way this Duder could have trolled for that long and gotten away with it :P.

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Redsox44

Really cool thread. I can't wait to try it for myself.

TRSJabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TRSJabber

Excellent article, Ahmad. I just finished the game last night and have to say I agree with you on all points. The action level with the song "Tears" was fantastic. It was a perfect song for that scene. Rockstar have done a great job of that with their past couple of games. There were two scenes in Red Dead Redemption where they used a particularly poignant song at an unexpected time to create a beautiful, cinematic moment. It is an effective technique that I hope they continue using in Grand Theft Auto V.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Hizang

I am happy you too enjoyed it, I think its one of the best games this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.