Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

PC version, Higher res textures or bad optimization?

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By SmasheControllers

After listening to this week bombcast, Vinny say he suspects that the PC version of the game is 35 GB because of bad optimization. Rockstar's track record on PC ports is not exactly good, San Andreas, GTA IV and Bully, all of which where horribly optimized. What do you think?

Personally I agree, 16 GB of Ram?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

I swear when I installed the Diablo beta it recommended 35GB of space, even though the game itself is much less. I think they are just putting out a bigger size than you need. There's no way it'll be that big. It's a RAGE game, so it's not like the engine hasn't been on PC before.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

A game demo or a benchmark would alleviate any concerns.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmasheControllers

@AlisterCat: GTA IV still runs like crap. RAGE definitely wasn't designed for PCs.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

@SmasheControllers said:

After listening to this week bombcast, Vinny say he suspects that the PC version of the game is 35 GB because of bad optimization. Rockstar's track record on PC ports is not exactly good, San Andreas, GTA IV and Bully, all of which where horribly optimized. What do you think?

It'll probably be horrible optimised, but I still doubt it needs 16gb of ram or a gtx680.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmasheControllers

@AlexW00d said:

@SmasheControllers said:

It'll probably be horrible optimised, but I still doubt it needs 16gb of ram or a gtx680.

Yeah I feel like they just pulled the spec out of their ass. Hopefully I'll be able to run the game.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

@SmasheControllers: I don't think they pulled it out their arse necessarily, I think they just posted the best machine available just in case.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If this game is a piece of trash broken port on PC I will be so so so fucking bummed.

Arouga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arouga

Rockstar are not great at getting people to understand what they mean. What they mean is more of a"between these 2 and you can run it" and not a min max thing. You dont have to have 16gb ram and what not to play the game at the highest settings. So im sure what they mean with the 35 gig is "you need atleast a min of 35 gig to be sure". If any of this makes sense

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By alistercat

@SmasheControllers said:

@AlisterCat: GTA IV still runs like crap. RAGE definitely wasn't designed for PCs.

RAGE wasn't, but they patched GTA IV to make it run so much better than when it launched. I went from 1 - 10FPS to 30 - 45FPS on 2007 hardware. LA Noire runs OK too. Not well optimized but fair for a console port.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By nintendoeats

@AlisterCat said:

@SmasheControllers said:

RAGE wasn't, but they patched GTA IV to make it run so much better than when it launched. I went from 1 - 10FPS to 30 - 45FPS on 2007 hardware. LA Noire runs OK too. Not well optimized but fair for a console port.

I beg to differ. It runs fine on my new i5, but my old Q6600 that will run 99% of games just fine was completely flummoxed by it.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Akrid

I don't know if it'll be a good port, but the 35GBs can only be positive in my mind. Definitely high-res textures.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: Now it probably runs fine, haven't re-installed it to try.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By alistercat

@nintendoeats: Yeah I had a Q6600 and GTA IV wouldn't run above 10fps until after Liberty City Stories was released on PC. It ran OK then.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By valrog

@SmasheControllers said:

I thought that was clarified that what they meant was "it supports up to 16 GB of RAM" and not "16 GB of RAM is recommended".

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valrog: Well that's completely different. Even some, So's long as the game runs at smooth 30 or 60 and look comparable to the console version, I'm fine.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic

That is a mystery we're 10 days away from solving.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By easthill

You're supposed to have a bit of free space left on your HDD at all times, just so Windows will run properly. That's why the requirements is 35 Gb, not because the game is 35 Gb.

For that matter, the requirements Rockstar published is range of hardware supported - not required.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pr1mus

The 35GB requirements could be something along the same line as Space Marine for example. Space Marine asks for "Hard Drive: 20 GB space free (10 GB free after install)". Essentially it downloads or copy the files to the hard drive first and then intalls the game and delete the install files afterwards.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By nintendoeats

@SmasheControllers said:

@nintendoeats: Now it probably runs fine, haven't re-installed it to try.

I tried it around christmas and it hadn't changed.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sasnake

@AlisterCat said:

@SmasheControllers said:

LA Noire dosent run on the RAGE engine, a common mistake this is.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sasnake

@SmasheControllers said:

Max Payne 3 on PC is not a port, its being developed along side the console version. (was)

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SASnake: Hearing that gives me high hopes. I've see.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24  Edited By Raven10

Bad optimization isn't going to increase file size. A texture is a certain size. You can compress it to make it smaller, or increase it's resolution and make it bigger. I would assume if the game install size is 35 GB that they simply included very high resolution textures. Poorly written code isn't going to make a difference. Code is just text. Even millions of lines of code aren't going to take up much space. Your space comes from other assets. Another one people often overlook is audio. A very high quality uncompressed 7.1 mix can take up a lot of space, and finally they could have put higher res cutscenes in the game. I know there are a lot of cutscenes. Not sure how many are prerendered but 2 hours of 1080p video can take up a decent amount of space especially if they are using an older codec like Bink. More complex and higher quality models could also be a cause. There are a lot of things that take up a lot of space. Code isn't one of them.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By alistercat

@SASnake said:

LA Noire dosent run on the RAGE engine, a common mistake this is.

You are totally right, and I knew that. I've corrected people for that before, so I don't know why I said it. I'll sit down and rethink my life.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By clstirens

@Raven10 said:

Bad optimization isn't going to increase file size. A texture is a certain size. You can compress it to make it smaller, or increase it's resolution and make it bigger. I would assume if the game install size is 35 GB that they simply included very high resolution textures. Poorly written code isn't going to make a difference. Code is just text. Even millions of lines of code aren't going to take up much space. Your space comes from other assets. Another one people often overlook is audio. A very high quality uncompressed 7.1 mix can take up a lot of space, and finally they could have put higher res cutscenes in the game. I know there are a lot of cutscenes. Not sure how many are prerendered but 2 hours of 1080p video can take up a decent amount of space especially if they are using an older codec like Bink. More complex and higher quality models could also be a cause. There are a lot of things that take up a lot of space. Code isn't one of them.

Actually, Vinny's assumption is from the idea that the method for storing textures for each individual level, the package files (if you will), are poorly packaged for the pc release. Especially since the pc version has Level of Detail settings that, depending on the engine, may require multiple levels of assets.

The issue of multiple sets of assets may be occuring because the engine isn't optimized/built to handle scaling textures down. Hence, "poor optimization" requiring more hard disk space.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mak_wikus

The "specs" that you've all been talking about is the range of hardware that R* has tested the game on.

As for the 35 gigs, maybe it's just for the installation process? It has to be. I've never seen a game this big. LA Noire, Rage, Dragon Age: Origins(with all additional content) are no more than 25GB.

Let's wait for whatever shows up on the Steam store page.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By mosdl

@AlisterCat said:

I swear when I installed the Diablo beta it recommended 35GB of space, even though the game itself is much less. I think they are just putting out a bigger size than you need. There's no way it'll be that big. It's a RAGE game, so it's not like the engine hasn't been on PC before.

This right here. The harddisk size is the max needed, usually during installation when files are being copied and expanded and moved around. Also probably includes directx install.

But then again it could be a mess.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By valrog

@mak_wikus said:

The "specs" that you've all been talking about is the range of hardware that R* has tested the game on.

As for the 35 gigs, maybe it's just for the installation process? It has to be. I've never seen a game this big. LA Noire, Rage, Dragon Age: Origins(with all additional content) are no more than 25GB.

Let's wait for whatever shows up on the Steam store page.

X-Plane can take up to 75 GB. Maybe even more.

As the technology progresses, and HDDs expand, so does the information being held. It's a natural and logical process. 10 GB (In rough approximation) is pretty much standard now, but you would have a stroke if you heard something like that 7 years ago.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By Subjugation

If the PC version is marred with problems I will be so, so sad. I can only speculate as to the reason for delayed release on PC, but a few things come to mind: Trying to get more people to purchase on console before being exposed to PC piracy, incomplete assets that weren't needed in the console versions (high res), or just trolling the PC crowd to test the patience of people like myself. Hey, it could happen.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31  Edited By Raven10

@clstirens said:

@Raven10 said:

Actually, Vinny's assumption is from the idea that the method for storing textures for each individual level, the package files (if you will), are poorly packaged for the pc release. Especially since the pc version has Level of Detail settings that, depending on the engine, may require multiple levels of assets.

The issue of multiple sets of assets may be occuring because the engine isn't optimized/built to handle scaling textures down. Hence, "poor optimization" requiring more hard disk space.

Hmm. I didn't think of that. Most of the engines I'm familiar with will scale down textures for console or mobile versions without the need for multiple files. I wasn't thinking that their engine could require multiple versions of each texture. It seems like a rather bad way to build an engine, but Rockstar games have never had the best tech so I could see them doing something silly like that. Still, depending on the number of assets, it seems to me that you would still need some pretty hi-res textures among your LOD levels to reach 35 GB's if that was the case. The level of detail on console textures is really quite low in most cases. So you'd need hi-res stuff to reach that amount of space. So regardless I would say that higher res textures are almost a certainty with that amount of space used.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Th3_James

Even if it's poorly optimized, I plan to brute force it with power. i7 @4.25ghzx8threads with 7970 overclocked should do the trick @2560x1600. If not I will be quite disappointed.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By ch3burashka

I remember The Force Unleashed had a similar issue, requiring 30GB to install. Anyone remember why that was - poor optimization or mind-blowing textures?

soapcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By soapcell

@CH3BURASHKA: uncompressed 1080p videos.

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rolanthas

well, I just hope steam gives a 2-3 day ahead pre load. No use worrying about the optimization after I paid for the damn game. And already got it on PS3 anyway just in case.

@CH3BURASHKA: It was mostly for videos, although I guess its jury rigged "euphoria / havok / digital molecular" combo may have had something to do with it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bybeach

@SASnake said:

@SmasheControllers said:

Max Payne 3 on PC is not a port, its being developed along side the console version. (was)

This gives me hope, and That Rockstar who I hold subject to remembering Max Payne was a PC game keeps this face up on the table. I'm still prone to agree with Vinny because initially that is often the case. We will see. I do not know anything about developing, but could it be buco information might be insuring more 1:1 transfer of info instead of compressing/leaving out bits. So to speak.

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By eezo

@SmasheControllers: actually GTA4 runs just fine now

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

as someone said: The specs they released were meant to show what the game would support if you have it ... those were not the specs you NEED to play the game.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MeierTheRed

So the game is out, can someone shed some lige on performance and disk space once and for all.

Karolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#40  Edited By Karolis

@pornstorestiffi: The game is out on PC on the 29th.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MeierTheRed

@Lone_f said:

@pornstorestiffi: The game is out on PC on the 29th.

Well that explains all the speculation still.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By metal_mills

Good news everybody!

No Caption Provided
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Metal_Mills said:

Good news everybody!

No Caption Provided

Great! What's the nvidia equivalent for the AMD HD 6850?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By alistercat

Damn. I have GTX460 1GB in SLI. What would that be equivalent to? I assume it'll have SLI profiles.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By metal_mills
    @SmasheControllers said:

@Metal_Mills said:

Good news everybody!

No Caption Provided

Great! What's the nvidia equivalent for the AMD HD 6850?

Below the 560 I think. So 30fps or so.

@AlisterCat said:

Damn. I have GTX460 1GB in SLI. What would that be equivalent to? I assume it'll have SLI profiles.

Above the 550 Ti. So again, above 30fps.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SlasherMan

@SmasheControllers: That would be a GTX 460, not on that chart though. Should be somewhere between a GTX 560 and 550 Ti, closer to the 560's performance though.

@Metal_Mills: Do we know what kind of CPU they're using in these benches?

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jazzycola

@AlisterCat: GTX 460s in SLI is equivalent to one GTX 570.(if SLI scaling is good)

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SlasherMan: @Metal_Mills: Okay cool, I don't have a 1080p monitor so the game should run fine on my PC.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SlasherMan said:

@Metal_Mills: Do we know what kind of CPU they're using in these benches?

Yeah, when it comes to Rockstar, that is the real question. I bet they're rocking an i11
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By mosdl

@Metal_Mills: Source? I bet a driver update will be out to help with performance

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.