Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Seriously....are they playing different games!

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@theveej said:

wait so has anyone here actually played this yet? I found highly amusing when people try analyse how fair reviews are without the game being out. Usually user review give a good idea on how fair some critics reviews are for me.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes you can judge a review being fair / unfair without playing it, but MP3 has been a mystery to me, so I don't know what to expect; therefore for all I know any of the reveiws offered so far about the game could be true plausible. So I'm gonna wait see what other critics say + what user reviews say about the game.

I usually find user reviews far far more bias and unfair than professional criticism. Sure, there's a few well constructed reviews out there, but the majority are always drowning in either disappointed fandom or glaring over obvious flaws because they are butt-hurt about legitimate criticism.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#52  Edited By fox01313

Some places that put up the disappointing scored reviews could be a place where the reviewer didn't enjoy or play the last one to realize what improvements were done. Will be better to just wait a couple days & look at gamerankings where it's just the journalistic reviewers put it plus great to get links to all the reviews.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By iamjohn

@Aetheldod said:

@iAmJohn: What heve you done to me!!!!??? T_T you evil you

Welcome to my hell!

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By nohthink

@Unilad: I take that as a positive thing. Rockstar had an idea of game they wanted to make and they did it unapologetically. I think that's awesome lol.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By pr1mus

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@Napalm said:

@Winternet said:

@mosdl said:

GiantBomb.com - Fair and Balanced!

Luckily I find Ryan's opinions usually match my own. RDR also had mixed reviews if I remember.

If by mixed reviews you mean 94% average, then yes, RDR got mixed reviews.

Because dropping a Metacritic Critic average is one way to win the argument.

a) I didn't drop a Metacritic Critic average b) there is no argument to be made c) seriously?

Then maybe you should source your statements instead of making yourself look like a tool.

Keep that in mind next time you want to drop averages without sourcing your information, dummy. Arguments 101.

But he's been right all along in his initial statement, RDR didn't have any mixed reviews, http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/red-dead-redemption

See? 96 positive, 0 mixed, 0 negative.

Not that an idiot like you who just decided that it was a good idea to start an argument for no reason will drop it but still.

Now carry on being a massive douche, you're good at it.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Shaka999

@PeasantAbuse: ANGER HATE WORDS

OneFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By OneFreeman

@nintendoeats said:

People have different opinions about stuff. News flash.

^^ This.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By napalm

@Winternet: @Pr1mus: I've purposefully stayed out of this topic because I made an ass of myself, and I wasn't denying Red Dead Redemption got good scores, but he didn't bother to source or link to where ever that number came from and it was bothering me. So, it's bad to now ask people to source their shit instead of seemingly pulling numbers out of their ass? Yeah, I came across like a dick in the process, but my intent was sound.

Avatar image for symphonicolossus
    SYMPHONICOLOSSUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#59  Edited By SYMPHONICOLOSSUS

@Unilad: IGN did not say the single player was disappointing! What're you, high?!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Napalm said:

@Winternet: @Pr1mus: I've purposefully stayed out of this topic because I made an ass of myself, and I wasn't denying Red Dead Redemption got good scores, but he didn't bother to source or link to where ever that number came from and it was bothering me. So, it's bad to now ask people to source their shit instead of seemingly pulling numbers out of their ass? Yeah, I came across like a dick in the process, but my intent was sound.

You were smart to stay away but you owe him an apology.

Also, you are confused about sources. A person who makes a claim should produce a source. You made a claim, that the game got mixed reviews, the burden of proof was on you to back up that claim. When somebody said "The metacritic score was blah blah blah" you could've just said "oh shit, yeah, I guess I'm mis-remembering things." or just take the fucking two minutes to check yourself, but instead you went the douchebag route. You were a dick, you owe him an apology, and no, your intent was NOT sound.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By napalm

@allworkandlowpay said:

You made a claim, that the game got mixed reviews,

Uh, I never fucking said that. Those words never came out of my mouth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Napalm said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

You made a claim, that the game got mixed reviews,

Uh, I never fucking said that. Those words never came out of my mouth.

Prove it! Provide some citation that you didn't say it!.

Nah I see now it wasn't you but Mosdl. I originally assumed you were just childishly defending your flawed argument. Instead I see you jumped in and just acted like it was yours, and proceeded to try to shit down someones mouth for no reason. That doesn't make it better.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By napalm

@allworkandlowpay: I'm just saying, if you're going to throw around numbers, at least provide some sort of proof, or at least bother to say where it's from. That's all I ask! Hate me for a little more transparency on the internet. I don't care, because I really don't even know who you are.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Napalm said:

@allworkandlowpay: I'm just saying, if you're going to throw around numbers, at least provide some sort of proof, or at least bother to say where it's from. That's all I ask! Hate me for a little more transparency on the internet. I don't care, because I really don't even know who you are.

I think people should be able to take the three seconds required to google metacritic scores themselves. You aren't being a hero for internet citation, you were just being a tool.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Napalm: No, you started a pissing match by being a pretentious douche nugget and going "because dropping a metacritic average is one way to win an argument."

You had no business being involved in that conversation, and post it, you now pretend you were trying to be a holy white knight for citation and justice, when in reality you entered as a snarky troll who had to run away with his tail between his legs. You aren't doing your false cause any justice now, just go away before you humiliate yourself further.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By trace

Poster Alfred:

"RDR also had mixed reviews..."

(Dearest sirs, there were both positive and negative reviews on thine Redest Deadest Redemption, so such reviews for Max Payne 3 are to be considered reasonable and proper, given circumstances.)

Poster Bartholomew:

"If by mixed reviews you mean 94% average..."

(Dearest sir, thou art mistaken! Why, Redest Deadest Redemption's reviews were all generally positive, and I present this number as proof!)

Poster Charles:

"Because dropping a Metacritic Critic average is one way to win the argument."

(Poppycock! Dearest sir, thou shan't use an aggregate score to judge whether reviews were mixed or positive! Such practices are for reductive simpletons who refuse to read the context of critics!)

Poster Bartholomew:

"I didn't drop a Metacritic Critic average..."

(Hogwash and hullabaloo! Dearest sir, I presented no such number as proof!)

...Hey guys, I think I found the source of this stupid bickering. Can we all get over it and move on, please?

Thanks.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By TheHBK

@jozzy said:

I pesonally think Ryan's review of Max Payne is one of the worst reviews I have read on this site. Not because of the score or anything, but just because the review doesn't really explains what he liked and didn't like about the game. Like others have said, it seemed somehow that he didn't really enjoyed playing it, but recognized it as a good game.

This is exactly what I was thinking. It seemed more like an in depth summary and explanation of how they addressed making Max Payne modern. I only saw a few hints of opinion like the multiplayer mode Gang War being common, even that seems like a generic comment. I just dont get it. There doesnt seem to be any excitement or disappointment in the review text, I guess like you said, it says something about the game and how he played it.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Winternet

@PsEG said:

Poster Alfred:

(Dearest sirs, there were both positive and negative reviews on thine Redest Deadest Redemption, so such reviews for Max Payne 3 are to be considered reasonable and proper, given circumstances.)

Poster Bartholomew:

(Dearest sir, thou art mistaken! Why, Redest Deadest Redemption's reviews were all generally positive, and I present this number as proof!)

Poster Charles:

(Poppycock! Dearest sir, thou shan't use an aggregate score to judge whether reviews were mixed or positive! Such practices are for reductive simpletons who refuse to read the context of critics!)

Poster Bartholomew:

...Hey guys, I think I found the source of this stupid bickering. Can we all get over it and move on, please?

Thanks.

I don't know what's going on, but I love it. Although I think the last line should be changed to "Hogwash and hullabaloo! Dearest sir, I used and aggregate score, thee not from Metacritic, by golly, I used Gamerankings".

Yeah, my fancy English is not so good.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@PsEG: Dearest Sir, your lack of 'Baulderdash' saddens me. I shall have to seek solace in Laudanum and the pipe.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By alternate

Great, another - why don't all reviews agree on the same thing? thread.

You might as well just a get a robot to spit out a review comprised of cut and pasted forum posts gathered by trawling the internet.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By trace

@SeriouslyNow: Aw, fucketh. I was grasping for good olde time-y words, and I manage to miss one of the better ones. Sorry about that.

@Winternet: Fair enough. Just trying to point out where I think this crazy tangent originated from in the hopes of proving that it's probably not worth this much electronic vigor.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@PsEG said:

Poster Alfred:

Poster Bartholomew:

Poster Charles:

Poster Bartholomew:

Thanks.

This is the single shining point in this dark, sad thread.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By phantomzxro

I have to call to question if you even read all of these reviews or did you just read headlines and summaries or just check scores. because i can say IGN review spoke very highly of the single player saying the story was top notch.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Totori

Well when all is said and done it's a cover-based 3rd person shooter.  Which are quickly out numbering world war 2 and modern day First person shooters.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SethMode

I will never understand why fans of a game (or haters) care about review scores. Reviews are there for those of us on the fence about whether to read the book/see the movie/play the game, yet so often so much hubbub gets made about scores and reviews and who's opinion is right, wrong, or something else. In my experience, chances are if you're mad about a negative review, you've already bought the game or are definitely going to buy. If you're mad about a positive review, you've got something wrong with your brain. Those in between don't seem to ever complain about reviews until after the fact, when they bought the game on the advice of a review and subsequently did not like it (which is, unsurprisingly, the only really justifiable reason to be "angry" with some dude's opinion of something).

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By baconbutty

I hate the internet sometimes.

This thread is a shambles and everyone arguing in it should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77  Edited By Milkman

Nice to see everyone is staying on topic.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@SmilingPig said:

Could as well be Kane and Linch 3.

Lol, Linch.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#79  Edited By ShinjiEx

X-Play 5 out 5.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#80  Edited By JasonR86

@phantomzxro said:

I have to call to question if you even read all of these reviews or did you just read headlines and summaries or just check scores. because i can say IGN review spoke very highly of the single player saying the story was top notch.

No one 'reads' IGN. People just bitch and yell about IGN.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Mcfart

Giant Bomb didn't give Red Dead it's due credit for the multiplayer, which was fantastic. Started with lots of modes, and they added more after release, including Poker!!!!

Same here, it sounded like Ryan tried the multiplayer Deathmatch for 2 minutes, said "typical 3rd person shooter", then left.

That's fine, however, since they've said before that they prefer single player. Jeff punished BF3 since it didn't have a great single player. As long as you know that while reading the review, then it's fine.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Clonedzero

@Totori said:

Well when all is said and done it's a cover-based 3rd person shooter. Which are quickly out numbering world war 2 and modern day First person shooters.

genres and settings are two different things. just letting you know since you seem to be mixing them up.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Karl_Boss

@PsEG said:

Poster Alfred:

Poster Bartholomew:

Poster Charles:

Poster Bartholomew:

Thanks.

What inspired you to do this?

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@PsEG said:

Poster Alfred:

Poster Bartholomew:

Poster Charles:

Poster Bartholomew:

Thanks.

Take off your glove, slap the three of them with it, and challenge them to a 4-way duel already.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By phantomzxro

@JasonR86 said:

@phantomzxro said:

No one 'reads' IGN. People just bitch and yell about IGN.

True which is sad because its a fine site in my mind not perfect but what site is really. Anyway i feel some people miss the point of reading opinions and coming up with your own census at the end.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#86  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@nintendoeats said:

This... this makes sense in a crazy sort of way.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By BBQBram

@Mcfart said:

Giant Bomb didn't give Red Dead it's due credit for the multiplayer, which was fantastic. Started with lots of modes, and they added more after release, including Poker!!!

Totally agree. The shooting mechanics aren't perfect but having the entire world as a free roam lobby and so many modes to play and things to do and stuff to unlock is amazingly fun. I've been playing it as my bombcast game for ages now, pretty much since it released. Just thinking of that world is making me want to play the single player campaign again!

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Totori
    @Clonedzero said:

@Totori said:

Well when all is said and done it's a cover-based 3rd person shooter. Which are quickly out numbering world war 2 and modern day First person shooters.

genres and settings are two different things. just letting you know since you seem to be mixing them up.

The world war 2 first person shooter is a genre. Take your condescension elsewhere.
    kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By kerse

7.6/10 is harsh? Usually for me harsh is like a 2/10, and 5/10 means a mediocre game, not every game has to be a 9/10 10/10 to be good and fun.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Clonedzero

@Totori said:

@Clonedzero said:

@Totori said:

The world war 2 first person shooter is a genre. Take your condescension elsewhere.

sub-genres are genres now?! MY GOD!

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#91  Edited By me3639

Ok, who had under 2 hrs before a post questioning reviews was posted? Anyone? Anyone? Claude? Jakob? You son bitches!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ch3burashka

@nintendoeats said:

Yeah... put less emphasis on what other people say, and try it for yourself.

As a huge MP fan, I do feel a necessity for people to like it as much as I do, but that obviously isn't a possibility, so I read the review, take it into account... and move on.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By sungahymn

In other news, all participants of the national spelling bee were disqualified for having a little to none grasp on English grammar.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Totori
    @Clonedzero said:

@Totori said:

@Clonedzero said:

@Totori said:

sub-genres are genres now?! MY GOD!

When were they not? that's like saying Japanese RPG and Western RPG are not genres, because they are both just RPGs.
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#95  Edited By Evilmetal

the game is not worth $60 . Developers/publishers feel that it's easy to simply increase the price of a game. But with that, there should be higher criticism of the product.  I saw gameplay videos of Max Payne 3 from beginning to end, and it did not strike me as a $60 game. For $60 I think a score of 7.5/10 reflects it's quality well.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By MeierTheRed

So they all have different opinions, well fuck me.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Evilmetal said:

the game is not worth $60 . Developers/publishers feel that it's easy to simply increase the price of a game. But with that, there should be higher criticism of the product. I saw gameplay videos of Max Payne 3 from beginning to end, and it did not strike me as a $60 game. For $60 I think a score of 7.5/10 reflects it's quality well.

This makes no sense.

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By baconbutty

I have made a new decision, for my own well being.

If ever a conversation starts about scoring systems and how anyone disagrees with a score, or if anyone tries to break down a score objectively in comparison to quality or value, I am going to click my back button and never enter the thread again.

It's the only way to stop these headaches.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Clonedzero

@Totori: theres a huge difference between JRPGs and WRPGs. while the differences between a modern shooter and a WW2 shooter are just the setting. theres a difference.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#100  Edited By Evilmetal
    @PrivateIronTFU said:

@Evilmetal said:

the game is not worth $60 . Developers/publishers feel that it's easy to simply increase the price of a game. But with that, there should be higher criticism of the product. I saw gameplay videos of Max Payne 3 from beginning to end, and it did not strike me as a $60 game. For $60 I think a score of 7.5/10 reflects it's quality well.

This makes no sense.

Allow me to make this accessible for you.  The game is not worth it. Wait until it goes in the bargain bin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.