Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

So how do you feel about where the game is going so far?

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CaptainTightPants

Based on the screenshots and Edge revealing that the game's story will jump through different points in time, what are your thoughts?
    From some of the screenshots, it looks like the game may revisit some of the events of Max Payne 2.

Max in his Max Payne 2 attire, and what looks a bit like the apartment level towards the beginning of that game.
     Max in his Max Payne 2 attire, and what looks a bit like the apartment level towards the beginning of that game.

The jumps through time seem to go as far as a bald Max.

Is anyone else getting a Frank West feeling from this picture?
     Is anyone else getting a Frank West feeling from this picture?

Revolvers are definitely a different choice for Max
     Revolvers are definitely a different choice for Max

Headset? It seems Max Isn't Working Alone.
     Headset? It seems Max Isn't Working Alone.

Bald Max in full effect
     Bald Max in full effect

I have to say, the screenshots have really, and I mean really increased my excitement for the game. I don't mind the cover system as long as the game still places more emphasis on Shootdodging and Bullet Time.

I would really be disappointed if it just became a Cover Based 3rd Person Shooter.There is nothing wrong with that style of game (I do love Gears of War) but that isn't really what Max Payne is known for.

So yeah, how do you feel about Max Payne 3?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Resident4t:  Thank you for this thread and these screens, i've never seen 'em before!

I think Rockstar Games won't alienate the fans and turn MP3 into Uncharted 2, but then again developers flip the fans off when they have hordes of cash machines who drool over hot trailers and purchase the game mindlessly..
    So it's really confusing to think about what will become of MP3, but i have a feeling that R* won't let us down. the noir vibe will remain (though probably less concentrated) and bulletdodging/bullet time will also remain, though kind of changed/evolved.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I think the game seems more interesting since I read some of the details, such as Max still having his signature bullet leap. I can give benefit of the doubt simply because of that feature still being in the game.
    Also really glad that they are going to do flashbacks to the time when Max still wore his coat. Still no fan of bald Max but at least they are going to "devolve" him so I find that to be alright. Especially given how many iterations of Max there seems to be during this game.

I don't know - I'm a bit skeptical but it's at least a hell of a lot more interesting since I read the article.

guyver0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By guyver0

one thing reading the article was i got the impression the game was gonna be pretty long. longer at least than the blockbuster experiences we've become used to seeing.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Twisted_Scot

I'm sure it'll be faithful to the other 2. I was hoping they do a little more with the weird side of Max Payne like the Noir / supernatural feel and the cultist stuff but I'm OK with good ol' revenge stories too :)

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By xyzygy

I'm sure that the loss of Sam Lake will definitely affect the game and it's charms. But I do know that a Rockstar pulished game is almsot always of high quality, well, for the past 5 years or so. And this is looking to be one of their major releases for next year, so I have high hopes they'll make it good. Just not as good as Remedy could do.

TermlessHalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By TermlessHalo

It@xyzygy said:

I'm sure that the loss of Sam Lake will definitely affect the game and it's charms. But I do know that a Rockstar pulished game is almsot always of high quality, well, for the past 5 years or so. And this is looking to be one of their major releases for next year, so I have high hopes they'll make it good. Just not as good as Remedy could do.

Don't worry I think Rockstar will pull through and make Max Payne 3 epic. But like you said...  Just not as good as Remedy could do.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

Bald max is a horrible idea. Otherwise, I don't think we know enough to judge.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By tebbit

Got my fingers crossed.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Yeah, keeping my fingers crossed as well. Bit sad seeing a franchise that was once pushing the limits of modern gamer PCs have muddy ass muddy textures and looking kinda shit overall. But I can't deny a good bullet dive.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By MeierTheRed

To be honest Max Payne is just as irrelevant to me as Duke Nukem is. They are both icons i don't find interesting anymore. They had a good run.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By jkuc316

Based on those screenshots,  it will probably be badass. I might not be picking this up day 1 though

Paulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Paulus

I didn't know there was gonna be cover, but now I want there to be a bullet time jump into cover move...and obviously an out of cover bullet time shootin' one too.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Revan_NL

Somehow this game makes me think of Kane&Lynch.  I dunno, I loved the first two games but I feel that taking the character out of New York is a big mistake.

cornwalliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By cornwalliz

Base on Rockstar latest M.O, Max Payne will probably die at the end. So, yes, im looking foward to this game

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Mars_Cleric

if i can jump in a direction in slow-motion while shooting I'm happy
    Atlantus_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Atlantus_Air

It's probably going to be the Splinter Cell: Conviction equivalent of the Max Payne series. 

TermlessHalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TermlessHalo
    @DrCornwalliz said:
    Base on Rockstar latest M.O, Max Payne will probably die at the end. So, yes, im looking foward to this game
    Oh god that would be epic. But I'll be sad if Max is dead.
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Atlantus_Air: Oh man, don't even joke about that lol
    I enjoyed Splinter Cell: Conviction but that was just not a Splinter Cell game.
    Castigatore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Castigatore

Hey thank for the screenshots.

I hope the game turn out well, even though Remedy is not involved in the development.

I also didn't know the game would jump back and forth in time, but judging from the firs screenshots, it looks pretty promising.

I just cross my fingers and hope this turns out well

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Winternet

It's not Remedy, which freaks the hell out of me. But, I have hope.

Castigatore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Castigatore

@Winternet said:

It's not Remedy, which freaks the hell out of me. But, I have hope.

Well everyone seems to have the same complaint, but I think there is still hope!

Oh god i don't even believe my own word. Im so scared this turns out seriously bad

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Dreamfall31

The early stuff they showed was did not have me looking forward to it at all.  But the newer images with the different looking Max have made me less skeptical.  If they make it like the others and still have the noir story narrative I'd be down for it.  But if they don't have any of the things that made Max Payne awesome (noir, graphic novel cutscenes, and a great voice over), then count me out.  The bullet time was hella fun, but the rest of it was what made me love the Max Payne games!

Dry_Carton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dry_Carton

Since this is basically a GTA 4 mod, I fear for how the actual gameplay feels. I really hope they've scrapped the entire movement from GTA 4, because that would feel waaaay too sluggish, clumpsy, and unprecise in a Max Payne game. Because from what I've seen, both Read Dead Redemption and LA Noire seems to feel similar to GTA 4.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By samfo

seems different and cool! I hope A.Wake makes a cameo!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like there going in the right direction I'm really glad they brought back the original voice actor for Max Payne I want to see some gameplay footage though and see how there bullet time is.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Sooty

I hope it doesn't use that shitty GTA IV engine because every game using it has felt quite clunky in both movement and the shooting mechanics.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DeF

@SamFo said:

seems different and cool! I hope A.Wake makes a cameo!

Alan Wake is made by Remedy, Published by Microsoft

Rockstar is making Max Payne 3, there is no way (and no reason) for Alan to appear.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By samfo

@DeF: Max makes a cameo in Alan Wake though!

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DeF

@SamFo said:

@DeF: Max makes a cameo in Alan Wake though!

yes because Remedy made the first two Max Payne games as well as Alan Wake and Alan being a writer made for a nice opportunity to weave that nod in there.

the other way around just doesn't make any sense plus there's the thing with Microsoft being the publisher on AW...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NTM
    @xyzygy said:
    I'm sure that the loss of Sam Lake will definitely affect the game and it's charms. But I do know that a Rockstar pulished game is almsot always of high quality, well, for the past 5 years or so. And this is looking to be one of their major releases for next year, so I have high hopes they'll make it good.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NTM

Instead of tumbling, you have the dodge instead, and the aspect of slowing down time will be similar to Red Dead Redemption... Maybe.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

How is the game going? All I have seen are a few year old screenshots.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pezen

I'm skeptical at best, nothing I've seen thus far indicates a Max Payne game. Then again, not entirely sure what a modern Max Payne game would be like, considering Stranglehold was pretty much Max Payne in Hong Kong and that wasn't all that praised.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Deathmachine117

What is everyones problem with Bald Max ? I honestly dont mind it that much, Dudes getting old hes been through a lot of shit aswell.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By AndrewB

Excited to see if it turns out to be a good game. I remember being skeptical of Max Payne 2, but I actually enjoyed it much more than the first. I think the biggest problem I've had with the thought of a Max Payne 3 (besides old bald Max in a bright tropical environment) is how nicely the story wraps up with both endings to the second game. 3 seems to ignore what I 'd consider to be the "true" ending where Mona lives, which is another kick in the pants.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sanious

There's multiplayer, enough said. 

Stop adding multiplayer to games that were never multiplayer games before, just because it's the 'new' thing to do and trying to give the game some false staying power. No one who are actually fans of the series actually likes those additions and they're always mediocre at best. No one will been playing that portion of the game after a month, stop wasting time with that nonsense.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By ProfessorEss

I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I like when franchises evolve and don't necessarily feel the need to stick to the expected script. 
    Sure it doesn't work out all the time, but keeping with their roots doesn't work all the time either. 

I'm all for the game being heavy on the new, bald and haggard Max Payne as I could see how events of the previous games could seriously change a man. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.