Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

The Long Wait for Max Payne Is Almost Over

• 138 results
    Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By Klei

@sear said:

Couldn't care less about this game at the moment. Different developer, different tone, different aesthetic, different gameplay... yeah, it says Max Payne on the box but I'll really have to see it to believe it. As of now all I can take away from the game is "generic third-person shooter with slow-motion gimmick." Big deal. All the technical aspects Rockstar have been pushing don't really matter if the game itself is soulless.

Not to mention, being developed primarily for consoles is definitely going to compromise the gunplay (sorry, shooters on consoles simply follow completely different design conventions, you just can't do a fast-paced reflex-, precision-driven game in the same mold without making compromises). Yeah, gameplay looks similar in trailers, but it's things like level design, enemy AI and aggressiveness, how big Max's health bar is, and so on that will really determine how it plays, not the camera perspective.

Beyond that, Max Payne, despite having good action, was much more about the subtle things - the dark humour, the interplay between characters, the parody-noir writing that was way more tongue-in-cheek than most people admitted at the time - and I don't trust a developer like Rockstar to deliver the same quirkiness and attention to detail.

You do care about this game, hence the long-ass novel you've just written. As far as Max Payne goes, it's not the storyline that most people remind about it, but the John-Woo action. As far as the noir story goes, who said that a noir story has to be stuck in NYC? Fuck that city. Give the game a chance. Gameplay-wise, I understand your concern, since i'm a PC gamer as well, but to this day and age, good shooters can also be made for consoles. There, you're plain wrong if you think otherwise.

Have a little faith, mate. When has Rockstar failed to deliver? Pretty long ago, if you ask me.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By HerbieBug

@Psychohead said:

My anticipation now boils like the blood from a dead raccoon seeping onto the the endless ebony expanse of an Arizona freeway under a blazing summer sun that burns hotter than the Hell that is my shattered, empty life.

You're good people. I like you. :)

samjiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By samjiman

Maybe I'll play this after all.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By sasnake

@weegieanawrench: good thing LA Noire wasent developed by Rockstar and also ran on a different engine isnt it....comment is pointless.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Absolutely can't wait for this, May 15 can't get here soon enough.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#106  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @UnsolvedParadox said:

Absolutely can't wait for this, May 15 can't get here soon enough.

May 29th*  
    PC gamers are second class citizens.
    Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#107  Edited By weegieanawrench

@SASnake: Shit, I completely forgot it was a Team Bondi joint.

namesonkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By namesonkel

@sear: Grand Theft Auto IV is the possibly the best game they've made to date.

Lars2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#110  Edited By Lars2

looking forward to Max Payne3

bonafide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By bonafide

Holy craaaaap, I hope I can get my hands on this game soon.

cexantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By cexantus

@sear said:

Beyond that, Max Payne, despite having good action, was much more about the subtle things - the dark humour, the interplay between characters, the parody-noir writing that was way more tongue-in-cheek than most people admitted at the time - and I don't trust a developer like Rockstar to deliver the same quirkiness and attention to detail.

So, I take it we're just going to ignore everything Rockstar has done post-GTA are we?

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#114  Edited By striderno9

I'm down for pretty much anything from Rockstar these days.

EndlessLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By EndlessLotus

I have faith. R* does little but pump out blockbusters....

TheElliotBee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By TheElliotBee

Yo Trick, you put Max Payne in my heart. You hella jella fine. Peace!

aevar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By aevar

I've been looking forward to a new Max Payne for a long time. I hope Rockstar can deliver on the dark atmosphere of the first games. They have a pretty good track record, so I will certainly be playing this as soon as possible.

FmeDry69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By FmeDry69

I don't know if it's just me, but I always held on to a hope that a Max Payne HD Collection would be released on consoles prior to this game's release. I guess not. Will go on Amazon and buy them before this game then because I never actually played them myself when they were new. I watched my uncle play them

cexantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By cexantus

@FmeDry69:

If Max Payne 3 does well enough--which wouldn't be so hard considering the second game sold like crap--I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of HD collection for the Max Payne series.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By fjordson
    Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#121  Edited By Silock

But.. but.... Diabl-noooooooooooooo!

Avatar image for condorcalabasas
    CondorCalabasas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By CondorCalabasas

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Bell_End said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Bell_End said:

@sear said:

Couldn't care less about this game at the moment. Different developer, different tone, different aesthetic, different gameplay... yeah, it says Max Payne on the box but I'll really have to see it to believe it. As of now all I can take away from the game is "generic third-person shooter with slow-motion gimmick." Big deal. All the technical aspects Rockstar have been pushing don't really matter if the game itself is soulless.

Not to mention, being developed primarily for consoles is definitely going to compromise the gunplay (sorry, shooters on consoles simply follow completely different design conventions, you just can't do a fast-paced reflex-, precision-driven game in the same mold without making compromises). Yeah, gameplay looks similar in trailers, but it's things like level design, enemy AI and aggressiveness, how big Max's health bar is, and so on that will really determine how it plays, not the camera perspective.

thats a pretty long post for someone that doesn't care.

Have some respect for a long time fan. He's making very good points, if you'd played Max Payne before you'd have something thoughtful to say.

and what makes you think i hav'nt played MP and MP2 before. i bought both the day they came out and played and enjoyed the fuck out of them. just becasue im not mr cynical trousers doesn't mean i never played them. i think MP3 looks great.

You think it looks great, I'm not calling you Mr. Happy-go-lucky Drone for that, so don't call those who dislike it cynical. Again, he has good points, learn to distinguish legitimate complaints from void whining.

He doesn't have a single good point, please name one.

Different developer: That is more successful than Remedy. Oh shi-

Different tone: Nope, its the exact same tone, infact if anything it is darker. Oh shi-

Different aesthetic: Nope, exactly the same as before. Oh shi-

Different gameplay: Nope exactly the same gameplay. Oh shi-

How is the game soulless? Normally in society inanimate object do not have souls.

Who said it was developed primarily on consoles? I'd love to see this quote.

Max Payne has, and always will be developed as a PC game first.

No need to apologize, you are simply wrong, you can and its done constantly with fast-paced-reflex-precision-driven game, with zero compromises. Feel free to provide examples. And don't embarrass yourself by saying frames per second, when the human eye can't even detect it.

Level design? So you've played the game then? Odd, because if you were to know anything about level design, you'd quite obviously have to play it.

Enemy AI? Again, so you've played the game then? Because I've seen in gameplay footage that the AI is quite a bit smarter, reacting based on how you play. You play aggressively, they take more cover, and stay back. You play defensively, they rush in for the flank.

Aggressiveness? Oh my goodness, did you think before you put that down? What on earth do you mean by that, in that context?

How big his health bar is? You mean how its the exact same size it was in both of the last games.

I don't trust you to make a competent post.

See he did not make one good point.

@sear said:

@Klei said:

You do care about this game, hence the long-ass novel you've just written. As far as Max Payne goes, it's not the storyline that most people remind about it, but the John-Woo action. As far as the noir story goes, who said that a noir story has to be stuck in NYC? Fuck that city. Give the game a chance. Gameplay-wise, I understand your concern, since i'm a PC gamer as well, but to this day and age, good shooters can also be made for consoles. There, you're plain wrong if you think otherwise.

Have a little faith, mate. When has Rockstar failed to deliver? Pretty long ago, if you ask me.

Three paragraphs is a novel?

Man, I love the Internet.

Also: Grand Theft Auto IV.

You thought he was being serious?

Man, I love the internet.

Also: Grand Theft Auto IV, average metacritic score 98.

Considered revolutionary for the next generation (current generation now).

Name one open world game that has done better in any other way shape or form.

I love try hards.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@CondorCalabasas said:

Different developer: That is more successful than Remedy. Oh shi-

Different tone: Nope, its the exact same tone, infact if anything it is darker. Oh shi-

Different aesthetic: Nope, exactly the same as before. Oh shi-

Different gameplay: Nope exactly the same gameplay. Oh shi-

How is the game soulless? Normally in society inanimate object do not have souls.

Who said it was developed primarily on consoles? I'd love to see this quote.

Max Payne has, and always will be developed as a PC game first.

CondorCalabasas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By CondorCalabasas

@sear said:

1. "This game is better because Rockstar sold more copies?" Where did I say that.

Interesting how you attempt to make an argument that success is based on number of copies sold, when I've never made an argument countering, or agreeing with that. This discussing is going to be very tricky if you can't read.

2. Do you need to play it to understand the tone? If that was true, every noir would be a parody of itself. That again, was a pretty stupid thing to say.

3. Well I guess you haven't watched any videos then. Because I've seen how the graphic novel sessions look.

4. LMFAOLOLROFLLMAO

5. Yea, Max Payne 1. You know? Why were all here? Thats the third reply of yours that suggest you aren't quite competent enough for me to reply after this.

6.You know it isn't primarily developed for PC how? Thats the fourth.

7. "Seriously, you're stooping to Metacritic ratings as a measure of quality?" Who said I was was? Thats response number five. I didn't say it was a measure of quality. I was saying if it was such a failure clearly the majority of the industry would agree with you. Should we all just assume you are right because its your opinion? Your logic is flawed.

8. "What next, are you going to start linking to VGChartz pages too?" Don't even know what that is, but great diss, I'm super hurt now. (Thats number six)

9. "I'm not really sure how Grand Theft Auto IV is "revolutionary." I'm not really sure either, but hey thats what almost every single reviewer wrote down in their reviews when it came out. Unlike you, I don't use my own opinion as a means of determining right or wrong.

9. If thats the best innovation you can think of, you clearly did not play it, so the discussion is irrelevant. I simply can't tolerate people playing dumb (though based on six of your posts so far, you aren't playing).

10. I guess you can't read, I said: "Name one open world game that has done better in any other way shape or form." Which every single game you just mentioned hasn't, nor did you make a logical argument how. (I'm going to call that number seven, since you didn't even read)

11. "What is this nebulous measure of quality we're supposed to be using here anyway, other than just "it scored higher"?" Apparently you believe your opinion is substantial enough? I haven't voiced mine yet, but if thats how we are determined who is correct here, I'll consider it.

12. "Why the hell am I still having a conversation with someone who thinks Metacritic scores are a good measure of a game's integrity?"

Why do I reply to someone who is clearly stupid? Why do I reply to someone who can't even read the post he is replying to? Why am I replying to someone who thinks his opinion outweighs the opinion of thousands? Why do I reply to someone who is questioning their response itself?

Finally, thats definitely number eight, questioning why you are responding to me. But since you asked me personally, its because you are an idiot. You didn't realize before you posted that you had no argument, yet because of the fact that your ego is massive, you had to swoop down to protect it, without thinking first. That to me personally, is the definition of an idiot.

Because I think kids like you are hilarious, and clearly need a little bit of education. I get to teach and have a good laugh at the same time.

Now you go.

CondorCalabasas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By CondorCalabasas

@AhmadMetallic said:

'Looks at post count, notices paid website subscription'

You know what? I'll leave you alone, its not like anything coming from you is going to offend anyone right?

I wish I had as much free time as you do.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @CondorCalabasas said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

'Looks at post count, notices paid website subscription'

You know what? I'll leave you alone, its not like anything coming from you is going to offend anyone right?

Try me, you might get into an interesting discussion, except for the fact that your post up there is so ridiculous that I doubt it. Just scroll up to see my reaction! 

I wish I didn't have all this free time dude, it made sure to severely affect my eyes.
    CondorCalabasas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By CondorCalabasas

@AhmadMetallic said:

@CondorCalabasas said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I wish I didn't have all this free time dude, it made sure to severely affect my eyes.

Get a job? Or another one?

Work with computers if you like them so much.

"Try me, you might get into an interesting discussion"

Are you actually trying to convince me to have a conversation with you?

There are so many things wrong with that.

GNCD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By GNCD

lords and ladies

BLKZOMBIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By BLKZOMBIE

Given Rockstar's colorful lineage of stupendous games, I'm confident that this game will deliver on all fronts. At least I hope, HA!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @GNCD said:

lords and ladies

You are followed my man, you are followed!
    impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#132  Edited By impartialgecko

Dick Justice and Address Unknown better not be anything other than FMV with Rockstar dudes dressing up

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By BasketSnake

I haven't followed this game at all but I thought it was hilarious when I spotted a little bottle of "pre-order pills" at my local gamestop today. There was some info that you'll get something exclusive if you take it to the counter when pre-ordering the game. Have you found the MAX PAYNE PILLS PEOPLE? Or maybe you spotted the Black Ops 2 mini-rover that you have to drive up to the counter...aim your lasers at a bulls eye point and score some PRE-ORDER EXTRA AMMO GRENADES!?

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By mikeeegeee

@CondorCalabasas: @sear:

Jesus fuck, I feel embarrassed just reading your arguments, but especially @CondorCalabasas because you made more demonstrably awful points than anyone. And you slighted @AhmadMetallic for.. well, I'm still not sure what provoked you.

Let's just chill out, wait for reviews, play the damn game and make up our minds at that time. Hype + forums = shit.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By squirrelnacho

I haven't followed this game at all but I thought it was hilarious when I spotted a little bottle of "pre-order pills" at my local gamestop today. There was some info that you'll get something exclusive if you take it to the counter when pre-ordering the game. Have you found the MAX PAYNE PILLS PEOPLE? Or maybe you spotted the Black Ops 2 mini-rover that you have to drive up to the counter...aim your lasers at a bulls eye point and score some PRE-ORDER EXTRA AMMO GRENADES!?

That sounds corny; an abvious sign this is a different publisher. Rockstar is making a rockstar game and calling it Max Payne (the only real similarity is the voice actor so far). Rockstar makes good games, but they aren't known for subtlety in their games (lots of sarcasm and brash humor), and subtlety is a huge part of what Max Payne 1 and 2 were all about.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @squirrelnacho said:

That sounds corny; an abvious sign this is a different publisher. Rockstar is making a rockstar game and calling it Max Payne (the only real similarity is the voice actor so far). Rockstar makes good games, but they aren't known for subtlety in their games (lots of sarcasm and brash humor), and subtlety is a huge part of what Max Payne 1 and 2 were all about.

Relax, dude. I understand your points but you're starting to sound like the people who cover their ears, close their eyes and refuse to reason.
    squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By squirrelnacho

@AhmadMetallic

Haha, it's just hard not to want it to be the way you remember the old ones.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @squirrelnacho said:

@AhmadMetallic

Haha, it's just hard not to want it to be the way you remember the old ones.

I know what you mean, but when you think about it really well you'll see that Max Payne 3 is not supposed to be identical to the way we remember the old ones. 
    I'm so in love with Max Payne it drives me sick, yet im 90% on board with this game. All I need to do is play it for myself a little, get a sense of the noire vibe and see whether I like the way Max's personality changed or not, and then it's a purchase for me.
    BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By BasketSnake

I've seen the trailers. It looks cool as hell but I haven't had the urge to check out more of it. I guess I'm just expecting a shooter with bullet-time. I'm sure the game is cool but the pre-order stuff...FUNNEEH!

iTWAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By iTWAN

I am hyped for the game! I already have it payed off so i will pick it up on release day.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By scroll

Just replaying the first game which I haven't played since it was released.. I hope I'm not the only one that needs to quick save every few minutes, getting killed by super accurate shotgun fire at range is a bit harsh.

mars188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#142  Edited By mars188

Rent sorry dont feel like spending 60 bucks on a 6hr game alll MP DLC Support!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.