Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

The Pianos

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By triumvir

So, I've noticed that there are piano's in the game that Max can play, and, although they aren't collectables, Max's ability (or inability) to play them appear to reflect on his current emotional state or sense of purpose. In Chapter I, right before he dives across the roof to save Fabiana, he attempts to play the game's theme and fails. Near the end of the boat sequence in the Panama flashback, he attempts to play only a few notes (harmonized to the badass backing track for that stage). Finally, Max finds an out-of-tune piano in the run-down hotel in Chapter XII and successfully plays the main theme.

Did you guys notice these on your playthrough, too? Did I miss any? I thought they were nice little easter eggs that added a bit to Max's character arc.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Quarters

It was a good throwback to the other games. Odd that out of all the things to reference, that's the thing they focus on the most. It got more attention than Mona.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By nintendoeats

It's nice to hear that they did something with it this time. In the original games it was just random.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By louiedog

I love finding these. There's also one in the church in the graveyard. That's my favorite so far, but I still have 3 chapters left including XII that you mentioned.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By DharmaBum

There are 4 total I believe - one more during the Chapter VIII flashback at the cathedral.

Pretty clever easter egg to convey Max's progress through the game, only other secrets I know of are the TVs and the old school skins.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

its a pretty good theme

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I must have missed the second 2 pianos. I've have to find them on my next playthough.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By triumvir

@Quarters said:

It was a good throwback to the other games. Odd that out of all the things to reference, that's the thing they focus on the most. It got more attention than Mona.

I thought it was familiar, but I honestly can't remember them from the first games. Then again, I haven't played the first two since they were each released. I'd seen them at my local used game shop for a while before I picked Max 3 and was going to revisit them beforehand, but I thought I'd wait to see if this game spurred on an HD collection.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By triumvir

@Lebensbaum: The Portuguese Captain Baseball Bat Boy episode was pretty amusing. It's too bad they didn't play that up some more.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DharmaBum

@Triumvir: it seemed directly pulled from the GTA IV style cartoons (I remember Republican Space Rangers). The Brazilian commercials and news broadcasts had some very sleek design treatment as Rockstar is known for.

Now, that demon troll baby on the other hand... I just don't know.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Itwastuesday

yea well what does THIS mean, then?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Quarters

@Triumvir: Yeah, in the other two games, you find a piano and each, and if you use it, he plays the theme real quick. If you shoot the piano and try using it, he tries playing again, but it sounds like total crap. As for an HD collection...I don't know if that will happen or not. It would be awesome, but it would only work if they used the PC versions of the game as a base. The console versions had some serious problems, such as terrible framerate, super long load times, and just looking like garbage. However, if they did release the PC version as an HD collection, that would be pretty great.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I was really happy when I found the first piano, and I made sure to find them all. A great throwback to the old games and a good little bit of fourth wall breaking going on - just like old times for Max Payne.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spitznock

When I came across the final piano and played it, the animation glitched out, causing Max's arms to contort and twist upwards until the scene ended. Kind of killed the moment.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By beargirl1

yea i found them. i thought it was really cool. always played the theme over and over when i found a piano in the other games

sublime90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sublime90

yes i found them and loved it. i was secretly hoping an achievement would pop up after though. either way its a nice touch. max payne is one of my all time favorite characters / games

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wampa1

@Lebensbaum: Yeah about that troll baby... what? No really, what the hell.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By OneManX

@Itwastuesday said:

yea well what does THIS mean, then?

WOW!. I didn't think other people would get that glitch.It made a moment, that was pretty badass and turned into a LOLOLOLOLOLAWL~! fest.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Wampa1 said:

@Lebensbaum: Yeah about that troll baby... what? No really, what the hell.

It's not a Troll, It's a Curupira. A monster with hair of fire and twisted feet to confuse hunters, and eventually kill them to save the forest.
    DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DharmaBum

@MikeGosot: Interesting, thanks for the clarification! Demonic and disturbing nonetheless. You know Portuguese, right? Does that Amor e Damas show have some sort of parallel to Address Unknown, or is it just making fun of absurd soap operas?

Edit: or maybe Lords & Ladies?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By Sooperspy

I found three. I was happy for Max when he actually did it right the last time.

Jayesslee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayesslee

It's definitely a nice touch.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Lebensbaum said:

@MikeGosot: Interesting, thanks for the clarification. Demonic and disturbing nonetheless. You know Portuguese, right? Does that Amor e Damas show have some sort of parallel to Address Unknown or is it just making fun of absurd soap operas, because I'm at a complete loss.

It doesn't draw any parallels to Adress Unknown, at least, not that i know of. For me, it was making fun of an overused trope in Brazilian Soap Operas: The Cheater. Seriously, in literally every Brazilian soap opera there's cheating involved. In Amor e Damas, the guy says he love his woman, but then, his wife discovers he has a lover, and then, he discovers that the son his wife was waiting, is actually the son of a Curupira.
    The TV shows usually make fun of a lot of brazilian stuff, i personally found it very cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.