Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Too Many Cutscenes!

• 55 results
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Holy fucking shit, coming back to this game just wanting to shoot some guys has been pretty frustrating so far. I'm just sitting here waiting for the damn skip prompt to show up on these cutscenes, and sometimes it can take a long fucking time, as far as loading times go at least. Sometimes it just jumps me ahead to another fuckin cutscene and I gotta wait again for the game to load! And just now the bloody thing crashed when I hit the skip key.

The thought crossed my mind that the "Arcade" mode would do away with all the cutscenes, but I guess that's not the case huh? I might just skip Act 1 if the cutscenes aren't so bad afterwards.

If Max Payne 1 or 2 worked on Vista/Steam I'd be playin those. Alas I've got to get my bulletdodging on this way, or go dig up my hard copies of MP1 or 2.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@theht said:

Holy fucking shit, coming back to this game just wanting to shoot some guys has been pretty frustrating so far. I'm just sitting here waiting for the damn skip prompt to show up on these cutscenes, and sometimes it can take a long fucking time, as far as loading times go at least. Sometimes it just jumps me ahead to another fuckin cutscene and I gotta wait again for the game to load! And just now the bloody thing crashed when I hit the skip key.

The thought crossed my mind that the "Arcade" mode would do away with all the cutscenes, but I guess that's not the case huh? I might just skip Act 1 if the cutscenes aren't so bad afterwards.

If Max Payne 1 or 2 worked on Vista/Steam I'd be playin those. Alas I've got to get my bulletdodging on this way, or go dig up my hard copies of MP1 or 2.

I just booted up my laptop with Vista on it and got those to run fine.
    Max Payne 1 through Steam and Max Payne 2 from that Game for Windows store thingy.. because it's free, or well it was free, so maybe I'm just lucky with my installs?

Also, as old as this topic is I will say I still enjoyed some of the Cutscenes in Max Payne 3.
    Most of them take control away from you aside from those "fake" cutscenes where the story moves along but if it moves along too slowly for your head to handle because of the overload of information just pull the trigger and dudes die and you just move along. That was always the fun part about them.. "I have inform..." 'shoot guy'... Yup yup sure you do buddy.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@ridebird said:

@Meowshi: I tolerate them I guess. Games are so much more immersive when they fully explore what the medium is capable of. Could never get my grip on Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain for example, see them both as exceptionally bad video games. The gameplay is just a transport mechanic from QTE to cutscene and back. Awful.

I really, really hate that, and that's sort of how it's done in MP3. Sort of. The gameplay in MP3 is however actual gameplay and is totally excellent, but no story, ever, is told through gameplay. It always cuts to you not in control, watching a movie. That's bad design in my book. I understand the need for some cutscenes, some times, if in-engine, but not every single time. I didn't give a shit about Max and his destiny because of this.

I'd much prefer, and I think we would see much, much better games out of it, if cutscenes was not commonplace any more. I think devs need to work so much harder to create believable and relatable characters and worlds if they just can't place them in a scriped, stale, enviroment, and I also think that's why GLADOS, Alyx and Eli are such amazing, lively, believable characters. You - the player - are always interacting with them. You never become a camera. Deus Ex (the first one) did an exceptional job with this as well, and BioWare usually do it okay (overdone in ME3).

BioShock did allright with the cutscenes as well since you were kept in character, largely, and had something to relate to. Except for the fact that it was PC crispness 1080p and then cut to shitty looking 720p, but I think pretty much every game today has come past the cutscene that is not done in-engine, seeing as it was five years ago.

I know this is a really old post, but I think the bolded sentence is kind of funny since Gordon Freeman (and practically every other FPS protagonist) is a floating camera.

I agree with his point, though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I think Max Payne 3 is a perfect representation of the direction Rockstar is striving towards with their games.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Nodima

I haven't finished the game, my interest kind of fizzled out in the final third, but it wasn't because of the cutscenes. It was because the game is just fucking hard and after several hours I'm not any better at it even on Easy (and I beat the previous Max Payne games as a teenager so I'm guessing I can chalk it up to barely playing games these days). My favorite part of the game was easily the cutscenes and atmosphere, especially the first hour or two before things get really hard. I remember downloading the game on PSN on a drunken impulse and then literally hooting, hollering and fist pumping my way up through that club scene. I thought, "My god, this will be the greatest game I've ever played!"

But then I actually had to play it.

As for the replaying thing, I could probably relate if I even had time to finish most of the games I start. But I haven't replayed a game since...well, I guess I replayed GTA IV last summer. But it'd been 4 years.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.