Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

You want MP3 in New York? You don't know what you want.

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Besetment

This is why popular opinion is bullshit. You want the same story in the same setting. You want Max Payne 3 to be like Max Payne 2. I know sequels dominate the video game market, but this is not Call of Duty. This game will live and die by its story and atmosphere. If you want these people to just try to copy what Remedy did, even though they're not Remedy, you're going to end up with a bad sequel. I don't want Rockstar's take on noir New York, I want their take on Max Payne. And if that means shaving his head and turning him into some washed-up drunk doing security detail on the other side of the country, I can see where they're going with it. It's kind of pathetic seeing Max give up on New York like that, give up on being a cop. After all he's been through, I wouldn't think Max would give up on anything. But he has, and he looks like shit here. Good for Rockstar. They didn't go with the obvious sequel, and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for it. They've written amazing stories in the past, and I don't expect any different from this franchise just because it's not Max Payne 3: Payne Harder. It's a shame you think change is a bad thing.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Besetment:   Let me try to explain something to you: 

There is middle ground between identical sequels (Call of Duty) and between alienating sequels (Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2, apparently Max Payne 3). We want that middle ground. I am a person who mocks identical same-formula (and same-technology) sequels, but I also despise sequels that totally alienate me..  

I don't want MP3 to feel and play the same as MP1 and 2, It doesn't necessarily have to have the exact same setting and atmosphere and shooting mechanics and weapons and comic story screens, but I also don't wanna fucking run and gun in midday mehicco or wherever the game is set! 
    The MP3 that makes sense is one that remains dark, grim and noir-y, but changes certain things that should be changed and evolved like gameplay and setting. Plus, Max Payne does what he does out of love and need for vengeance. Going after the gangstas who iced a girl he worked as a bodyguard for is not exactly emotional.
    shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shinigami420

@Besetment said:

popular opinion is bullshit

Great another hipster thread

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By valrog

I like the whole "Man on Fire" style they're going for. Also, people who keep complaining about him shaving his head and whatnot have obviously not paid much attention. Since a part of game will feature Noir style and the "old" Max Payne with hair and all that. Rockstar knows what they're doing.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By galiant

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Besetment: and between alienating sequels (Dragon Age 2,

I disagree with your example.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ThePaleKing

@rebgav: Red Dead Redemption had some of the most satisfying shooting I've experience in a third person shooter, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Also well said Besetment; I truly respect the way in which Rock Star is trying to evolve the story of Max Payne. As someone who loved MP1 and 2, I would say it would make less sense for Max Payne to stick around in NYC after the events of those two games.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Daylight in a game I arbitrarily decided on my own needed to adhere to all the rules of noir? Fuck this game, real Max Payne only fights on dramatically lit night streets.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

@valrog said:

I like the whole "Man on Fire" style they're going for. Also, people who keep complaining about him shaving his head and whatnot have obviously not paid much attention. Since a part of game will feature Noir style and the "old" Max Payne with hair and all that. Rockstar knows what they're doing.

Shaving his head evokes of terrible mainstream movies like Taxi Driver. Rockstar sold out confirmed.

McAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By McAwesome

The problem is that they could just made a new game, but it looks like because of marketing and brand recognition Rockstar decided: "Lets just slap the name Max Payne on it".

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho

Max Payne 2 and the film were such a roaring success that they knew using that name would draw in literally tens of people.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grr I'm so mad at this thing I don't fully know about yet, grrr!

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I'm yet to see evidence of Rockstar crafting a really good story, but whatever.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By abdo

My main beef with Max Payne 3 is that it's not being made by Remedy, and won't be written by Sam Lake. It won't have that Remedy sheen, and it's such a shame because look at how great Alan Wake was. The whole package: atmosphere, story, characters, lighting, music, it was all fantastic...

Screw it, Alan Wake was Max Payne 3, and this game doesn't exist. LALAALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scarace360

@AhmadMetallic: Never ever ever use dragon age 2 as an example for anything good.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

They've made stories on par and superior to Max Payne. Max Payne isn't a dense story. His family dies and he avenges them. There's not a huge watermark to live up to. Max Payne had good characterization and Rockstar excells at characterization.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Galiant said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Besetment: and between alienating sequels (Dragon Age 2,

I disagree with your example.

I second that.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Jimbo

At least they can keep the subtitle the same.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#18  Edited By KillyDarko

I honestly just don't want an open world game (which maybe it won't be, but I don't know). Open world games tend to detract the player from the main storyline and the Max Payne franchise has always been great because it focuses solely on the character's very own personal story. So yeah, if suddenly I find myself running errands or something like that, then I know I won't like it, because that's not what I'm looking for in a Max Payne game. It's totally fine in Skyrim, etc, but Max Payne... not really.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cloudenvy

@abdo said:

My main beef with Max Payne 3 is that it's not being made by Remedy, and won't be written by Sam Lake. It won't have that Remedy sheen, and it's such a shame because look at how great Alan Wake was.

I didn't think that Alan Wake was good at all, so I'm kind of happy it's not being made by Remedy : )

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Venatio

I swear if this stupid backlash causes Rockstar to reconsider this game and start all over again and thereby seriously delaying it I'll be pissed

I like what they're bringing and I can't wait

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @ryanwho

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

They've made stories on par and superior to Max Payne. Max Payne isn't a dense story. His family dies and he avenges them. There's not a huge watermark to live up to. Max Payne had good characterization and Rockstar excells at characterization.

I agree about Max Payne.

But I find Rockstar characterisation to generally be cliche-riddled garbage, where it isn't just ripped wholesale from an existing movie.

I know I'm in the minority on that.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Sooty

Max Payne, now with 'friends' calling you up asking you to go bowling!

I'm just hoping it doesn't use the same shitty engine GTA IV used because it handled like ass, especially the gunplay.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@ryanwho

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

I agree about Max Payne. But I find Rockstar characterisation to generally be cliche-riddled garbage, where it isn't just ripped wholesale from an existing movie. I know I'm in the minority on that.

I normally agree, but I thought they did a pretty decent job with LA Noire. They could totally take the dialogue too far though. Its a valid concern I suppose.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By UncleDisco

Maybe we should just step on the breaks here, and wait til the game is out? Or atleast until we've seen actual gameplay.....

Eh, who am I kidding... this is the internet afterall...

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thehexeditor

Some of Max Payne 3 will take place in New York. Maybe even other places besides Sao Paulo.

RedHatDrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By RedHatDrew

@valrog said:

I like the whole "Man on Fire" style they're going for.

Damn! Beat me to it. And yes, that looks awesome.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Brendan

I like that they're trying something new. I've played Max Payne twice, I'm willing for something tonally different. The gameplay is probably going to be an evolution of the stuff that I liked about Max Payne, so if that works then I'm set.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.