Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 25, 2001

Remedy's film-noir action game puts players in the role of grizzled cop Max Payne as he tries to clear his name of murder.

Sound problems!

MaikeruWiruson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MaikeruWiruson

Hi! So I downloaded Max Payne from Steam a few days ago, and during the cut scenes there is no sound what so ever. Stranger still is that when actually playing the game, there is no dialogue or music, just sound effects (gun fire, foot steps, etc). I've no idea what's wrong, as I've also downloaded the sequel, which works perfectly fine, as well as some demos, which also work.

I e-mailed both Steam support AND Rockstar, and have yet to hear a responses, so I was hope the fine Giantbomb community would answer my plea.

Much obliged.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Its a very annoying bug that I thought only affected my physical copy of the game.

Nope, no difference in the Steam version. You need the workaround Andrew posted.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Winternet

I suggest taking a look into the steam forums for that game. It has everything you need.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cid798

That's really weird. I'm on Win7 64 bit and about a month ago I reinstalled Max Payne, played through and uninstalled with no problems.

No Caption Provided

Classy !

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @AndrewB@SomeDeliCook@Winternet:  Hey guys, does any of you have MP1 saves I can use? 
    I'm trying to beat MP1 and 2 again before 3 is out, but my Steam MP1 is stuck on a cutscene (it just shows an elevator in real time and the scene won't end). And If I restart the game I'm gonna make myself start hating the game because I've played the opening levels way too many times. 

So perhaps I could use someone's save file to skip the cutscene my game is stuck on.. Thanks. 

Edit: To answer the OP's question, Andrew's solution is the standard solution: 
    @AndrewB said:

If it's under Vista/7, it's a known (never patched, as the game is ancient) issue, with the only workaround a third-party, unsupported (but it works) solution.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848215

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Winternet

@AhmadMetallic: I have six saves if you're interested.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thechronodarkness

On windows 7 and vista, doesn't matter the version- you have to convert all of the audio files. Theres a program out there made specifically just for it. For me, it fixed the beginning cutscene hanging, and brought all of the music back. Any mods, like the kung fu mod 3 or katana, you'll have to use the same program to convert as well.

I would've figured the steam version would've been fixed. Lazy bums

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Winternet said:

Thanks but I just went through an earlier save and luckily, the problem was gone. 

I missed this game so much man, Max's speech and storytelling in the comic-style scenes are just refreshingly grim, and the gameplay hasn't aged a bit. Will keep this gem for night time gameplay, since it's only good at night!
    TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By TobbRobb

Oh sweet! I was wondering about this a few momnths back. Maybe it's time to marthon these. :P

It's still real dark over here so I got plenty of good opportunities to play.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Winternet

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Winternet said:

Thanks but I just went through an earlier save and luckily, the problem was gone. I missed this game so much man, Max's speech and storytelling in the comic-style scenes are just refreshingly grim, and the gameplay hasn't aged a bit. Will keep this gem for night time gameplay, since it's only good at night!

Yeah, both Max Payne games still play incredible well. A testament of well realized gameplay mechanics.

MaikeruWiruson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MaikeruWiruson

Hmm... it hasn't work, so I can only assume I'm doing something wrong. I've followed the instructions to the T: extracted the Maxbatch to the game directory, launched it, and keeps telling me the files have not been converted. In a really aggressive, way too. "...file NOT converted", like it's my fault or something. I tried debugging before hand as well, with no luck.

What. The. Fuck.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MaikeruWiruson said:

Hmm... it hasn't work, so I can only assume I'm doing something wrong. I've followed the instructions to the T: extracted the Maxbatch to the game directory, launched it, and keeps telling me the files have not been converted. In a really aggressive, way too. "...file NOT converted", like it's my fault or something. I tried debugging before hand as well, with no luck.

What. The. Fuck.

When you double click on Maxbatch.bat, it opens a window and you hit C (I think) for "convert". Are you saying you do that and the conversion fails?
    MaikeruWiruson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MaikeruWiruson

Yeah, man, C for convert. Any thoughts?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MaikeruWiruson said:

Yeah, man, C for convert. Any thoughts?

I searched for a fix for you and I couldn't find any. 

You're sure that you extracted the fix files (including MaxBatch.bat) to the Max Payne directory in the Steam folder before double clicking on MaxBatch to start the conversion? If you have, I suggest uninstalling the game, deleting the fix files, re-installing the game (it's like 800 mb) and re-downloading the fix and trying again.
    MaikeruWiruson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MaikeruWiruson

@AhmadMetallic: Ah, that worked: I uninstalled/re installed, and tried again. Thanks for your help, everyone! Very much appreciated. You've saved me from jabbing a screw driver into my eyes.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By ch3burashka

...don't email the developer or Steam; look on forums because chances are someone else found it.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jmfinamore

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Winternet said:

Thanks but I just went through an earlier save and luckily, the problem was gone. I missed this game so much man, Max's speech and storytelling in the comic-style scenes are just refreshingly grim, and the gameplay hasn't aged a bit. Will keep this gem for night time gameplay, since it's only good at night!

That's funny because I played the games for the first earlier this year and thought the gameplay of the first had aged pretty badly. It just felt very early-2000 with its run-and-gun mechanics and super soldier enemies (the game frustrated me so many times with shotgun enemies hiding right next to a door frame that could kill/severly hurt you so easily). Slow-mo diving never lost its appeal, though, so they definitely did something right there.

The story/setting/writing were all great though (except the art in the cutscenes, I really hated it). Amazing how refreshing it is even to this day, though. Almost felt/feels ahead of its time with how focused the art style and writing were.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Winternet

@HarlequinRiot said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Winternet said:

That's funny because I played the games for the first earlier this year and thought the gameplay of the first had aged pretty badly. It just felt very early-2000 with its run-and-gun mechanics and super soldier enemies (the game frustrated me so many times with shotgun enemies hiding right next to a door frame that could kill/severly hurt you so easily). Slow-mo diving never lost its appeal, though, so they definitely did something right there.

The story/setting/writing were all great though (except the art in the cutscenes, I really hated it). Amazing how refreshing it is even to this day, though. Almost felt/feels ahead of its time with how focused the art style and writing were.

I played it recently and found it just fine. Sure, it doesn't have the same feeling as modern 3rd person shooters, but is very competent (talking about guys next to the door frame, using the camera turns them into easy targets). Max Payne 2 is just a refinement of the first one, gameplay wise. Max Payne as some IO games (Hitman 2 and Freedom Fighters) have some of the best gameplay found in 3rd person shooters in the last decade and so.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @HarlequinRiot said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Winternet said:

That's funny because I played the games for the first earlier this year and thought the gameplay of the first had aged pretty badly. It just felt very early-2000 with its run-and-gun mechanics and super soldier enemies (the game frustrated me so many times with shotgun enemies hiding right next to a door frame that could kill/severly hurt you so easily). 

There are several characteristics to game era-specific design, I agree, but the run and gun mechanics IMO are not one of them. Just because most popular games today count on cover and more 'breaks' within the combat, doesn't mean running and gunning is so 2000's. Want proof? Max Payne 3, totally run and gun based on the trailers, yet it's looking absolutely contemporary and 2010s-friendly.   
    What empowers this idea even more for me is that in 2.5 hours of Max Payne last night, I had more explosive action with all kinds of moves and combos than any recent game has offered me. Once the MP formula grows on you, you're gonna be pulling off wonders and your jaw will drop at the sheer amount of combat scenarios you can create. 

About the super enemies with their 1-shotgun-kills, yes I imagine if this is your first time playing MP, it's quite frustrating and difficult. Like winternet said, use the camera to peek into the next room or hallway, and what's even more important is for you to realize that this game is extremely fast paced. You jump into a room and blast some fools, you get shot down to 10% HP, you immediately tap F9 (assuming you quick save alot, which you should) and half a second later you're jumping into the same room again. 
    Sometimes I repeat it for 10 times just to challenge myself to clear a room without getting hit. What makes MP even more amazing is that every single shot by an enemy is unique in it's direction and speed. There are no patterns here, the enemies are very dynamic with their behavior and shooting as they attack you. 

Here's a quick video I took from playing last night to show how amazing this game can look and feel once you grow to master it.  
    It's nothing too fancy, and I regret not taking videos of the more masterful shit I pulled last night in the sewers and on the catwalks, but hey!
    leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By leebmx

@AhmadMetallic said:

@HarlequinRiot said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Winternet said:

That's funny because I played the games for the first earlier this year and thought the gameplay of the first had aged pretty badly. It just felt very early-2000 with its run-and-gun mechanics and super soldier enemies (the game frustrated me so many times with shotgun enemies hiding right next to a door frame that could kill/severly hurt you so easily).

There are several characteristics to game era-specific design, I agree, but the run and gun mechanics IMO are not one of them. Just because most popular games today count on cover and more 'breaks' within the combat, doesn't mean running and gunning is so 2000's. Want proof? Max Payne 3, totally run and gun based on the trailers, yet it's looking absolutely contemporary and 2010s-friendly.
    What empowers this idea even more for me is that in 2.5 hours of Max Payne last night, I had more explosive action with all kinds of moves and combos than any recent game has offered me. Once the MP formula grows on you, you're gonna be pulling off wonders and your jaw will drop at the sheer amount of combat scenarios you can create.

About the super enemies with their 1-shotgun-kills, yes I imagine if this is your first time playing MP, it's quite frustrating and difficult. Like winternet said, use the camera to peek into the next room or hallway, and what's even more important is for you to realize that this game is extremely fast paced. You jump into a room and blast some fools, you get shot down to 10% HP, you immediately tap F9 (assuming you quick save alot, which you should) and half a second later you're jumping into the same room again.
    Sometimes I repeat it for 10 times just to challenge myself to clear a room without getting hit. What makes MP even more amazing is that every single shot by an enemy is unique in it's direction and speed. There are no patterns here, the enemies are very dynamic with their behavior and shooting as they attack you.

Here's a quick video I took from playing last night to show how amazing this game can look and feel once you grow to master it.
    It's nothing too fancy, and I regret not taking videos of the more masterful shit I pulled last night in the sewers and on the catwalks, but hey!

Hi mate, there's some video on your youtube with a knife fight in BF3 - what's the music? I really liked it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By leebmx
    leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By leebmx

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.