Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 25, 2001

Remedy's film-noir action game puts players in the role of grizzled cop Max Payne as he tries to clear his name of murder.

The greatest videogame story of all-time?

• 64 results
    Bigvic785

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Bigvic785

Awwww Come on!!! Gears of War j/k

GTA IV best Story

DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52  Edited By DavidSnakes
    LiquidPrince said:
    "You think it compares to Metal Gear Solid, Prince of Persia, God of War, and Final Fantasy VII?"

Yeah, it blows them all away.  FF7 in particular was atrocious
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No way.  I'm pretty sure the plot to the Marble Blast games is much better than the Max Payne storyline.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By atejas
    elbow said:
    "

Shadow of the Colossus (Come on people!)

Oh come now. Really?
    Also, I can't believe nobody's said Torment yet.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By HandsomeDead
    elbow said:
    "Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Best story in the series)"
    No. The most basic story in the series. Not the best story in the series.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By atejas
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Fair enough. I don't really care if someone likes Final Fantasy, but don't you dare call it an RPG. That's criminal."
    That's pretty rich coming from somebody who thinks Oblivion is the height of gaming.
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Bulldog19892
    OroJackson said:
    "Final Fantasy Vll
    "
    No.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HandsomeDead said:
    "elbow said:
    No. The most basic story in the series. Not the best story in the series."
    I also found the Snake Eater storyline to be elementary.  That's not to say it wasn't compelling, because it was executed well enough, but it was pretty straightforward.
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Bulldog19892
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "elbow said:
    I also found the Snake Eater storyline to be elementary.  That's not to say it wasn't compelling, because it was executed well enough, but it was pretty straightforward."
    It was definatly better than the second one anyway. Having not played the fourth one, I can't really say which Metal Gears Solid game is my favorite, but so far the original is my favorite.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "elbow said:
    I also found the Snake Eater storyline to be elementary.  That's not to say it wasn't compelling, because it was executed well enough, but it was pretty straightforward."
    It was definatly better than the second one anyway. Having not played the fourth one, I can't really say which Metal Gears Solid game is my favorite, but so far the original is my favorite."
    I thought the second one was fantastic. The third one seemed like Kojima got worried by the backlash of MGS2 and basically made some dodge James Bond fanfiction. In every MGS game besides that one, i've been hooked by the story and that was my main reason to keep playing, but in MGS3, I just got so bored by the story, characters and setting.
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Bulldog19892
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "elbow said:
    It was definatly better than the second one anyway. Having not played the fourth one, I can't really say which Metal Gears Solid game is my favorite, but so far the original is my favorite."
    I thought the second one was fantastic. The third one seemed like Kojima got worried by the backlash of MGS2 and basically made some dodge James Bond fanfiction. In every MGS game besides that one, i've been hooked by the story and that was my main reason to keep playing, but in MGS3, I just got so bored by the story, characters and setting."
    I found the second one to be so ridiculously over-complex. I have no problem with complex stories, but Sons of Liberty was a steaming pile of neo-philosophical, false reality, conspiracy mumbo-jumbo that  came off like Kojima had a ridiculously huge shit-load of ideas for a plot and decided to smash them all together into a small, convoluted package. The game itself was pretty good, if you can get past playing as Raiden the whole time.

I liked the original more if only because it was so much more memorable. It had a more cohesive (albeit far-fetched) storyline, that despite it's cheesiness and campy-ness managed to come off as fresh and original anyway. The opening scene, the first time an enemy discovers your footprints in the snow, the DARPA chief scene, the boss fights (especially Psycho Mantis), and even more moments than I care to list right now, were more than enough to make that game incredibly memorable and interesting, even if it isn't as fun to play as some newer games.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "elbow said:
    I thought the second one was fantastic. The third one seemed like Kojima got worried by the backlash of MGS2 and basically made some dodge James Bond fanfiction. In every MGS game besides that one, i've been hooked by the story and that was my main reason to keep playing, but in MGS3, I just got so bored by the story, characters and setting."
    I found the second one to be so ridiculously over-complex. I have no problem with complex stories, but Sons of Liberty was a steaming pile of neo-philosophical, false reality, conspiracy mumbo-jumbo that  came off like Kojima had a ridiculously huge shit-load of ideas for a plot and decided to smash them all together into a small, convoluted package. The game itself was pretty good, if you can get past playing as Raiden the whole time.

I liked the original more if only because it was so much more memorable. It had a more cohesive (albeit far-fetched) storyline, that despite it's cheesiness and campy-ness managed to come off as fresh and original anyway. The opening scene, the first time an enemy discovers your footprints in the snow, the DARPA chief scene, the boss fights (especially Psycho Mantis), and even more moments than I care to list right now, were more than enough to make that game incredibly memorable and interesting, even if it isn't as fun to play as some newer games."
    I see where you're coming from. I think the big problem is that he used the Codec for a lot of the exposition so it felt like Kojima was telling you about all these concepts than actually letting the player think about it for themselves. It probably sounds really cheesy or whatever, but MGS2 is probably the only game where after playing it, i've thought it's had an effect on me personally. Like it gave me a different viewpoint on life and such and that's why I remember it so fondly. Also, playing as Raiden was fantastic. He's one of the few well developed characters in video game history and also one of the few who isn't some default hero.

Yeah, I definitely love the first one too, or at least the Twin Snakes iteration. When I played the first one on PSone, I never really got to grips with it but Twin Snakes' additions made the game really flow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bulldog19892 said:

I liked the original more if only because it was so much more memorable. It had a more cohesive (albeit far-fetched) storyline, that despite it's cheesiness and campy-ness managed to come off as fresh and original anyway. The opening scene, the first time an enemy discovers your footprints in the snow, the DARPA chief scene, the boss fights (especially Psycho Mantis), and even more moments than I care to list right now, were more than enough to make that game incredibly memorable and interesting, even if it isn't as fun to play as some newer games."
    The Twin Snakes remake was pretty damned good.  Whenever I get a yearning to play through the original Metal Gear Solid, but I can't stomach the controls, I always go for that. 

I think I'd agree, also, about the original Solid's story being the most memorable.  Maybe because it was the first in the series, but it had a really impressive narrative for its time.
    gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By gunswordfist
    Napalm said:
    "I mean honestly. The story of the first Max Payne is just so incredible. The feeling of the story, the graphic novel, the music setting the tone for the story. It's all so perfect. So please enlighten to your personal opinion as to why you think the story of Max Payne is one of the greatest.
    "

*makes Napalm first giantbomb friend*  Seriously, Max Payne's story is great. It's one of the only games to have its story truly enhance its gameplay. Max Payne went through so many great levels in that game. I also love the game's characters (even moreso in MP2 but MP1's story is still MUCH better)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.