Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mech

Object » linked to 784 games

Mechs (or Mecha) are humanoid-like pilot driven vehicles often depicted in media as a combat machine. Early examples of Mech/Mecha in video games are often derived from early manga and anime as well as table-top games.

Mechs. Tactical?

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zhinse

You know, besides looking really really cool, mechs really aren't all that a great idea in practice. 

• They're giant targets.
    • Very Cost inefficient 
    • Tanks can get around and shoot shells just fine.
    • Helicopters, bombers, and jets can all fly. 
    • Amphibious mech?
    • Any real mech can probably barely walk. 

And you know what, i still want to see a real mech out there in the real world. The Metal Gears have a pretty plausible design and purpose. If i remember correctly they're walking nuke launchers. I think that could be useful.  Other Plausible designs are the Wanzers from front missions, since they're basically tanks with legs, and aren't too big, and The Iron Maids from Appleseed, they're really small for a mech anyways.

What do you guys think? You design a mech that would be actually useful in the real life. I'll be interested in what people talk about in this thread.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

The problem with mechs is they have legs.

Disable a tanks treads and it is still able to attack and fire its weapons. Blow a mech's leg(s) off and it just goes face first into the dirt and becomes useless.

Then of course there is the whole "centre of gravity" issue for the mech being able to stay upright and move without losing its balance. That and the fact mech's have legs means their speed is usually slow and accuracy while moving at normal or high speeds is probably very poor.

All in all i think mech's suck because they have legs, and generally i think they suck anyway.

Tanks ftw!

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zhinse

You know Its funny but i find that pretty much true. The biggest weakness of a mech is it's most distinguishing feature, its legs. I've been in a mech mood lately and was watching the Armored Core For Answer Videos. Looking at them zip through the air, i ask the question, "why do they even have legs ? " 

They're only starting with bipedal robots in todays world. Look promising so far.
    the_spork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By the_spork

Go watch Gundam: The 08th MS Team, it's pretty much GRAW: Mech Addition.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene

The first episode of code geass shows how mech revolutionise ware fare

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tekmojo

yea but what about a cloaked mech, that would fuck ur day up real quick

the_spork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By the_spork
    If a mech has wheels on the ends of its legs, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having legs?
    zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zhinse

I would love to see a real mech trash some fools. Someone should make a realistic CGI movie just to satify me.

Avatar image for optimusprime223
    optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By optimusprime223
    the_spork said:
    "If a mech has wheels on the ends of its legs, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having legs?"

not really, if you check out stuff on the heavy gear games and thier version of mechs, the wheels where ot allow speed transportation across large open areas. The legs where used for close quarter combat. Mechs really do need to replace tanks, when that happens, the i will know mankind has actually created something really cool.

Also if i was ever to become a director of films, one of my first would be a live action mech film.
    Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Johnny5

Screw real life.

GIVE ME A NEW MECHWARRIOR!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.