Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MechWarrior Online

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

The classic mech combat series is being reborn as an online free-to-play game by Piranha Games.

MWO: Ridiculous Costs?

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

My early experiences with Mechwarrior as a youth are pushing me to enjoy this game, although the pricing is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.The money for MC(Game currency) is ridiculous, if you want to purchase a single variant of a Mech chassi it will set you back a cool $20~25. I understand this is a free to play game, but with the current PC gaming scene how can you ask a player to spend $20~25 on a single variant of a a mech chassi? I could by 3 games on steam for that price! Then you also have to get xp or spend more money for the weapons you desire. I think I'd rather just boot up MechWarrior 4, and play that for a few hours with great gameplay, and even more epic acting.

I known I don't have to spend money,but I don't want to grind for hours to get enough XP on tiny mp maps dominated by heavies/assaults.

Anyone else feel the same way?

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By AlKusanagi

Not quite sure what you're talking about... Do you mean the special "hero" mechs? Yes, those cost money, but all the rest can be gotten with the in game currency, and when you first start off you get a "cadet bonus" which gives you ten times the amount of normal money which lets you save up enough for a couple of mechs of your own and modifications for them. If you want several mechs then you'll have to spend a little without grinding, but it's not bad.

Hewitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hewitt

You can purchase everything that you need for gameplay purposes with in-game currency (c-bills). The only stuff you need real money for is different paintjobs, hero mechs (special editions of standard mechs), and unlocking more mechbay slots (room for mechs, however you do start out with 4 slots which is enough for a new player).

I'm very impressed with how they're treating the real money aspect. It could have been really slimey, but as it stands, they seem to be doing it right.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Is there single or coop missions?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Tennmuerti

@sins_of_mosin: nope

Hewitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hewitt

No, just competitive. We got Assault mode (Basically TDM) and Conquest Mode (Capture and hold 7 points). We're getting another one soon called Dropship I think, but I have no idea what thats about.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Itwastuesday

The biggest disappointment for me in this game is that they went with the "Unrealistically Long Grind" strategy of F2P, with modules and elite/pilot efficiencies.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By BawlZINmotion

@Beaudacious said:

My early experiences with Mechwarrior as a youth are pushing me to enjoy this game, although the pricing is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.The money for MC(Game currency) is ridiculous, if you want to purchase a single variant of a Mech chassi it will set you back a cool $20~25. I understand this is a free to play game, but with the current PC gaming scene how can you ask a player to spend $20~25 on a single variant of a a mech chassi? I could by 3 games on steam for that price! Then you also have to get xp or spend more money for the weapons you desire. I think I'd rather just boot up MechWarrior 4, and play that for a few hours with great gameplay, and even more epic acting.

I known I don't have to spend money,but I don't want to grind for hours to get enough XP on tiny mp maps dominated by heavies/assaults.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Most of the non-hero mech variants are under $15 a piece, not $20-25, which is a handful at the top. For a game that costs $0 to play and gives people access to 99% of all current and planned future content, paying $15 to short-cut your way to mech ownership just sounds like your complaining that stuff isn't easy or given to you for free. Putting together enough in-game currency to purchase one variant from 75% of all available isn't that difficult or time consuming. Unless you don't like playing MWO, but then your point is pointless anyway.

If you really like the game, drop $15 on some MC, show your support for the developer and their project, then choose between most variant options available.

PS. You could go buy 3 games on Steam, but they wouldn't be MWO. So...

Fivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just don't buy the mech. I did the same mistake...

The money is good for new mech bay and premium time.

Maybe you could get one of the mech that you can't buy with the money you get each game you play.

I think it could be long for someone who is not that good to buy a 10 000 000 mech but in my case it only took 10 games or so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.