Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Medal of Honor

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 12, 2010

Step into the boots of Tier 1 Operatives Rabbit and Deuce in this modern take on EA's long-running Medal of Honor series; the game features separately-developed single player and multiplayer modes.

It's hard to dislike a game that gets its ideas from great ones

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

Edited By natetodamax

In many ways, the multiplayer of Medal Of Honor is very familiar. If you've played Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2, you've played this game. Developed by DICE, the multiplayer combines the animations (from reloading all the way down to the weapon bob) and graphics from Bad Company 2 with the fast paced gameplay and customization of Modern Warfare 2. In a way, the lack of originality seems like a big hit to the quality of the game. But then again, the two popular first person shooters from which this game gained much inspiration are great, so what's to hate? 

Regardless of how upset you may be at the "unoriginality", it would be imprudent to say that Medal Of Honor isn't a fun game to play. And that's what may be a selling point for people. It's fun to play, and that's one of the things that has got me excited to see the final product. Playing the beta, however, I couldn't help but notice all of the similarities to Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2. So, I aim to point out the similarities that I noticed in this blog, so that you, my ever so faithful reader, can truly understand where this game gets its ideas. 

Modern Warfare 2

At least DICE calls this the red dot sight, and not the holographic sight
    Probably the most hated and loved shooter on the market today, Modern Warfare 2 and its predecessor, Call Of Duty 4, popularized the idea of customizable weapons and classes with the mainstream audience. DICE recognizes that people like the ability to slap on red dots or suppressors on their guns when they feel like it, so Medal Of Honor gives players the ability to do so. The way you unlock attachments and new weapons is different, however, but I will cover that in the next section. Still, there is something oddly satisfying about unlocking a new sight for your weapon and using it against your enemies in the next match. In addition to the normal red dot sights and silencers are different bullet types and magazines you can utilize to further modify your guns. However, there aren't any loadouts that you customize. Instead, you have classes that can only use specific weapons. For example, the sniper uses sniper rifles and the special ops guy uses submachine guns and rocket launchers. So, you'll unlock new guns and attachments for the classes as you play.  

Medal Of Honor has scorechains, which are essentially interesting twists on killstreaks. So the first scorechain you get is awarded after gaining 40 points and the number of points needed increases after that. I'm not exactly a big fan of killstreaks, so it's disappointing to see that DICE has incorporated scorechains into the multiplayer.

Another thing I quickly noticed was the fast paced nature of the game. It doesn't take many hits to die, and conversely it doesn't take many shots to kill an enemy. In the Team Deathmatch game mode, there aren't any respawn times, so death really isn't a huge deal. Movement is fast, killing is fast, everything is fast compared to Bad Company 2

Bad Company 2

Fire up Bad Company 2, reload the M4A1, then fire up Medal Of Honor and reload the M4. Surprised?
     Fire up Bad Company 2, reload the M4A1, then fire up Medal Of Honor and reload the M4. Surprised?
    Some may argue that the comparisons to Bad Company 2 are less apparent, but to me they are probably more apparent than the Modern Warfare 2 comparisons. Medal Of Honor's multiplayer runs on the Frostbite engine, which powered both of the Bad Company games including Battlefield 1943. As a result, Medal Of Honor visually looks more similar to Bad Company 2 than Modern Warfare 2. This certainly isn't a terrible thing, as Bad Company 2 isn't a bad looking game, but Modern Warfare 2 is the more impressive game aesthetically. The Frostbite engine powering the game also means that the reloading animations for a lot of the weapons are the same as they were in Bad Company 2. This is easily the most strangest similarity I've noticed, since identical reloading animations suggests that the developer injected aspects of their own game into another. Thus, Medal Of Honor begins to feel less like an individual game and more like a collaboration of games in a way. It even goes down to the weapon bob, both when running like normal and sprinting. 

In Conclusion

As I stated earlier, Medal Of Honor feels like a collaboration of two great games rather than an individual game that is capable of standing out on its own. It lacks many distinguishing features, but the two games that inspires its existence are terrific shooters, so surely Medal Of Honor can only turn out right..... right? I think it would be terribly rash of someone to dismiss the game based solely on the beta alone. Conversely, it wouldn't necessarily be right for someone to praise the game in its early stages. DICE still has a long way to go to make Medal Of Honor a truly great shooter. Let's just hope the studio is devoting most of its time to fixing some of the most prevalent bugs, like the 1 second lag that occurs when you die and the mysterious white red dot sights. Medal Of Honor will need to be near perfect to stand next to Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2. All DICE needs is a little support from the fans.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By natetodamax

In many ways, the multiplayer of Medal Of Honor is very familiar. If you've played Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2, you've played this game. Developed by DICE, the multiplayer combines the animations (from reloading all the way down to the weapon bob) and graphics from Bad Company 2 with the fast paced gameplay and customization of Modern Warfare 2. In a way, the lack of originality seems like a big hit to the quality of the game. But then again, the two popular first person shooters from which this game gained much inspiration are great, so what's to hate? 

Regardless of how upset you may be at the "unoriginality", it would be imprudent to say that Medal Of Honor isn't a fun game to play. And that's what may be a selling point for people. It's fun to play, and that's one of the things that has got me excited to see the final product. Playing the beta, however, I couldn't help but notice all of the similarities to Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2. So, I aim to point out the similarities that I noticed in this blog, so that you, my ever so faithful reader, can truly understand where this game gets its ideas. 

Modern Warfare 2

Probably the most hated and loved shooter on the market today, Modern Warfare 2 and its predecessor, Call Of Duty 4, popularized the idea of customizable weapons and classes with the mainstream audience. DICE recognizes that people like the ability to slap on red dots or suppressors on their guns when they feel like it, so Medal Of Honor gives players the ability to do so. The way you unlock attachments and new weapons is different, however, but I will cover that in the next section. Still, there is something oddly satisfying about unlocking a new sight for your weapon and using it against your enemies in the next match. In addition to the normal red dot sights and silencers are different bullet types and magazines you can utilize to further modify your guns. However, there aren't any loadouts that you customize. Instead, you have classes that can only use specific weapons. For example, the sniper uses sniper rifles and the special ops guy uses submachine guns and rocket launchers. So, you'll unlock new guns and attachments for the classes as you play.  

Medal Of Honor has scorechains, which are essentially interesting twists on killstreaks. So the first scorechain you get is awarded after gaining 40 points and the number of points needed increases after that. I'm not exactly a big fan of killstreaks, so it's disappointing to see that DICE has incorporated scorechains into the multiplayer.

Another thing I quickly noticed was the fast paced nature of the game. It doesn't take many hits to die, and conversely it doesn't take many shots to kill an enemy. In the Team Deathmatch game mode, there aren't any respawn times, so death really isn't a huge deal. Movement is fast, killing is fast, everything is fast compared to Bad Company 2

Bad Company 2

Some may argue that the comparisons to Bad Company 2 are less apparent, but to me they are probably more apparent than the Modern Warfare 2 comparisons. Medal Of Honor's multiplayer runs on the Frostbite engine, which powered both of the Bad Company games including Battlefield 1943. As a result, Medal Of Honor visually looks more similar to Bad Company 2 than Modern Warfare 2. This certainly isn't a terrible thing, as Bad Company 2 isn't a bad looking game, but Modern Warfare 2 is the more impressive game aesthetically. The Frostbite engine powering the game also means that the reloading animations for a lot of the weapons are the same as they were in Bad Company 2. This is easily the most strangest similarity I've noticed, since identical reloading animations suggests that the developer injected aspects of their own game into another. Thus, Medal Of Honor begins to feel less like an individual game and more like a collaboration of games in a way. It even goes down to the weapon bob, both when running like normal and sprinting. 

In Conclusion

As I stated earlier, Medal Of Honor feels like a collaboration of two great games rather than an individual game that is capable of standing out on its own. It lacks many distinguishing features, but the two games that inspires its existence are terrific shooters, so surely Medal Of Honor can only turn out right..... right? I think it would be terribly rash of someone to dismiss the game based solely on the beta alone. Conversely, it wouldn't necessarily be right for someone to praise the game in its early stages. DICE still has a long way to go to make Medal Of Honor a truly great shooter. Let's just hope the studio is devoting most of its time to fixing some of the most prevalent bugs, like the 1 second lag that occurs when you die and the mysterious white red dot sights. Medal Of Honor will need to be near perfect to stand next to Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2. All DICE needs is a little support from the fans.
    GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By GrandMarshal

Medal of honor might just be another modern shooter but im more interested in playing it then i am in call of duty black ops, but i liked bad company 2 more then modern warfare 2 so mayby im just wrong

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

I don't really feel that Medal of Honor has a place in this competition. It offers a bit from each other, which is good, but I felt that the gameplay was bland. Its sorta the middle brother; now that COD seems to be taking in the direction of sheer insanity and arcadey shooting experience; while Battlefield has large ass maps, vehicles and teamwork orientated gameplay.

Also that EOTech (first screen) is referred to a holographic sight; not a red dot sight. They need to fix that up.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Zajtalan

it also kind of plays like shit.......but that might be because it was a closed beta. Hopefully they fix it up

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By natetodamax
    @Meteora: They actually do call it a holographic sight? Weird, I'm pretty sure it was called Red Dot Sight when I selected it for my M16.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By meteora
    @natetodamax said:
    " @Meteora: They actually do call it a holographic sight? Weird, I'm pretty sure it was called Red Dot Sight when I selected it for my M16. "
    Nah, they refer it as to a red dot sight (RDS). The actual model of their RDS is a EOTech, which is different from RDS and is actually holographic, and that they need to fix that up. That's what I meant. So if you were pointing out that they just mixed it up for the hell of it, then you're right. But if you were saying that they got it down correctly, then you're wrong. 

I'm pretty sure though most people just refer the damn thing as RDS though, so it doesn't matter.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Played some of the beta, didn't really care for it. Even beyond some of the glitchy stuff, it feels like a jack of all trades, master of none. I wouldn't mind a game that does the best of MW2 and BC2 do, but Medal of Honor doesn't feel like that for me.

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By themoon13

I don't really mind that MOH borrows so heavily from two games that I love. 

I'm a big fan of COD4 and MW2 because they are such arcadey fun. I'm a big fan of BC & 2 because of its slower pace and squad focus (though running around aimlessly and causing havoc is a good alternative).

The reason that I'm not a fan of MOH is because of the mix. When I'm going into a shooter, I want it to excel at something, whether arcadey or not. Currently, MOH takes the elements from two different types of shooters and merges it into one. In result, the game feels to me like it has no identity. The guns look slightly realistic (as in BC2), but they behave even more arcadey that MW2. Gameplay wise, it doesn't do anything to excite me. BC2 has some truly crazy and intense moments, MW2 has a brisk pace with tons of ridiculous unlocks to customize your style of play, and MOH stands in between, not knowing which direction to go in. The turning radius or whatever you wanna call it of MW2 coupled with the gun bop and flair of BC2 just boggles my mind.

On a side note, visually, the game shares far too many assets with BC2. This contributes to the lack of identity that I mentioned earlier, but has no bearing on gameplay or anything like that. Not really a big issue for me, but its not very pleasant. 

I'm hoping that DICE can figure it out before release, and that the single player campaign will be awesome, but as it stands, I feel that MOH just doesn't know what to do with itself.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I'm just worried about the story elements.......it all seems too topical.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By natetodamax
    @GoranP: You make good points. The biggest issue I have with the game is certainly the fact that it's the love child of MW2 and BC2. Despite the somewhat generic nature and lack of identity, I still find it enjoyable.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

I thought this was going to be about Darksiders. I need to play that game. I liked the demo. Shit, there's another one.

Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Iceman2913

meh will rent  though

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By DrPockets000

I was very sad, I didn't have a lot of fun with MoH.  I strongly disliked MW2 and loved BC2, but somehow I didn't feel like the "best of both worlds" gelled very well.  I understand how some will find it fun and I wish DICE and EA the best when the game releases.  It's just not for me.  

DaManGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaManGB

Can't wait for this GAME!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.