Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Medal of Honor

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 12, 2010

Step into the boots of Tier 1 Operatives Rabbit and Deuce in this modern take on EA's long-running Medal of Honor series; the game features separately-developed single player and multiplayer modes.

No Prone = No Purchase

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SocietySays

A few quick points on why prone makes sense in military shooters. 

- When someone is shooting at you and you have not cover you hit the ground, not crouch and hope that he was aiming for your head. 
    -  When protecting a flag/base it's nice to have the ability to lay down out of sight instead of crouching in a corner.  
    - Sniping - enough said.
    -  It would be much easier to get to a fallen soldier and revive him (If this new MOH game even has a medic class) 

Does it not bother anyone else that this feature is not in EA/Dice console games?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

Typically you will go into the prone with lack of cover/concealment. Bullets have a nasty habit of hitting people whom are standing.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

I disagree with you. That is all I will say.

Now imagine me shaking my head in solemn dismay at your post....

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuCTR

From a gameplay standpoint going prone could give a camper an advantage, but not so much to unbalance the game. I agree it is an unnecessary exclusion and actually does retract from the game play for me. I mean prone is an absollutuely neccessary military tactic and excluding it is opposing the realistic atmosphere they are attempting to create.

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Blueman

Bad Company 2 was brilliant despite not having prone, so i think your over reacting a bit.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By shadows_kill

can you lay down in bad company 2? i dont have it but its being made (online part at least) by dice.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @Hamz: I actually imagine you more like this!
    No Caption Provided
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By Marz

Prone i don't miss much,  I would like to see Lean make a comeback to PC games since that's what i mainly play.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @KrypticKiller said:
    " A few quick points on why prone makes sense in military shooters.   - When someone is shooting at you and you have not cover you hit the ground, not crouch and hope that he was aiming for your head.  -  When protecting a flag/base it's nice to have the ability to lay down out of sight instead of crouching in a corner.   - Sniping - enough said. -  It would be much easier to get to a fallen soldier and revive him (If this new MOH game even has a medic class)   Does it not bother anyone else that this feature is not in EA/Dice console games? "
    Does not bother me at all. But what does bother me is that "Prone" is the only thing you see wrong with this agme at this time. 
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By FireBurger

I'd like prone, but having gotten used to not having it BFBC 1/2, I don't really need it. Still, would be nice to have.

The original claim from DICE, if I remember correctly, is that prone would slow the game down. However, MW is much faster than BC and has prone, so...

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By xMP44x

I don't think crouching is that big of an omission in a game. Yes, it could save you if you were able to drop quickly enough, but I don't see it being too big a loss. When under fire a soldier doesn't typically think to drop to the ground as much as they think of shooting back. I don't mind if some people disagree with DICE's actions, but I still look forward to the game and cannot see the reasoning in not purchasing the game for not having a different stance.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says

Does  not having prone have anything to do with bullet drop/real time bullets? perhaps getting realistic hit detection on a target that is essentially on a horizontal grid instead of a regular vertical grid (standing/crouching) is much harder to do engine wise...I dunno I'm just saying crazy stuff...no prone is definitely not a reason to ditch a game...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

No prunes is a good thing. You don't want your solider having to drop a deuce in the middle of combat.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Pie

I really dont get these type of posts...

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

It doesn't bother me, because that isn't the game they're making.  You're supposed to run around all over the place like headless chickens.  Beyond the textures, these games really have nothing to do with what they are supposedly portraying, so making 'realism' concessions for the sake of gameplay isn't really an issue at all, imo.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It's not that big of a deal. I've never been a big fan of laying down while shooting. I'm more of a... MANNNN ON THE RUNNN.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jkz
    @bartok said:
    " No prunes is a good thing. You don't want your solider having to drop a deuce in the middle of combat. "
    I had a total spit-take when I read that. It's not particularly clever or inventive, nor is it especially funny, but I couldn't stop myself. 

Well done, I suppose.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By DrPockets000

Prone=camping. 

I do NOT want this.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By meteora

From a gameplay point of view, it makes sense to remove prone. Having prone normally caused some problems, such as dolphin diving, making snipers harder to kill and making camping easier. 

Of course, in real life you'd absolutely want to either crouch or prone if possible when shooting.

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FakePlasticTree

It's ok OP, I refuse to buy games that have prone, so the universe balances itself out. 

Vitamin_Dei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Vitamin_Dei

A quick search of the official BFBC2 boards will turn up an awful lot of discussion about this. Removing prone isn't, IMO, the most elegant solution to the problem*,  but when you get down to it it does solve some issues. 

Anyone who has played much BFBC2 will know that snipers do not seem to be terribly hurt by the omission of prone -- that game is sniper infested. 

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By Bennyishere

It's OK that you like prone and am disappointed about the omission, but not buying a game solely for that reason sounds silly to me.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Blueman said:
    " Bad Company 2 was brilliant despite not having prone, so i think your over reacting a bit. "
    i think you are overrating Bad Company 2 a bit.  

anyways, i think this game is fucking retarded it.  

the first thing i noticed when i booted it up was....wow this feels just like battlefield...wtf?! 
     who the fuck knows what the single player will be like.this is soooo stupid.  
     it feels like te framerate sucks, it movement is too slow for this style and yeah...nowhere near as good as MW2. 
    ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ChillyUK7

I don't think it would matter that much if it was included in the Team Deathmatch modes, maybe the larger maps where snipers could use it and become difficult to spot due to no kill cam but I feel like im splitting hairs over that argument. Comparing the smaller Team Deathmatch maps to Cod 4, a game that has similar sized maps, killstreaks etc, prone wasn't a problem, in fact it was barely used at least by me. Where I can genuinely see prone becoming an issue is whether or not it is instant i.e Battlefield 2 (dolphin diving). As far as camping is concerned it probably wouldn't be an issue as objects or walls would restrict your movement. Overall I think it should probably be in the game but im not that bothered if it isn't.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By mikemcn

Prone is good for sniping only really, or when you really need more accuracy, its fun in BF2, but it usually leads to this...... 

@DrPockets000 said:

" Prone=camping.  I do NOT want this. "
    GrahamMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27  Edited By GrahamMaster

So do you only own CoD games then?

FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FireSketch
    @Marz: Prone > Lean for me. I only ever lean when it's funny ;D
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrKlorox

No it doesn't bother me it's not in the console games. However what does bother me is that the PC games are simply console ports instead of actual games made for the platform.

With the craters from explosives in Bad Company, prone would be the perfect way to advance on a target while staying covered. I hate camping and campers, but I don't let those exploiters ruin a great concept.

l3eaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By l3eaudacious

The elimination of prone also cause to speed up the feel of the game, which i believe was also intentional to appeal to a larger crowd including some COD fans. Any battlefield veteran can tell you that BF:BC2 is a faster paced game then any battlefield game. I believe this is accomplished in the sense that a crouching camper even with kill cam off is more likely to be spotted, forcing players to move and advance creating a much more dynamic feel.  I'd also like to say playing in rush mode as attackers, i would probably tk every prone bum camping our surrounding spawn area.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrKlorox
    @l3eaudacious said:
    " Any battlefield veteran can tell you that BF:BC2 is a faster paced game then any battlefield game. "
    Not only due to the omission of prone but also the fundamental changes in map design. Things are much smaller and way more channeled in comparison to older BF games.
    evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By evanbrau
    @Jimbo said:
    " It doesn't bother me, because that isn't the game they're making.  You're supposed to run around all over the place like headless chickens.  Beyond the textures, these games really have nothing to do with what they are supposedly portraying, so making 'realism' concessions for the sake of gameplay isn't really an issue at all, imo. "
    This is true, games like MW2, MoH, Battlefield etc are todays equivalent of the twitch multiplayer shooters like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. That they happen to have realistic textures and feature modern military equipment is purely an aesthetic or narrative decision. If you want to see what these games would be like if played "realistically" then play on one of those awful realism servers for CoD 4 or the even worse realism mod for Battlefield 2.
    Also when prone was in Battlefield it just led to dolphin diving which I'm sure isn't a standard military tactic.
    RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RaceKickfist

since there are valid arguments from both sides of this issue, i cant help but feel the problem is implementing everything together. players who like to run-and gun-and go rambo (like me) absolutely HATE snipers (well, i do.) and while im sure for the sniper its loads of fun to take your enemy out with a well-placed head shot, it makes my dramatic frontal assault with a pistol and knife between my teeth really disappointing. Whereas, no prone makes sniping kind of dumb and unrealistic, taking away from the immersion. would different game types solve this issue? disabling prone in one game type for action junkies like me, and enabling prone in more hardcore realistic game modes for the cold-hearted, patient killers?

A_Wet_Shamwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By A_Wet_Shamwow

with the longer ranges in some games *BC2* it would not be fun to try and plink campers from across the map if they went prone 

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By damswedon

if this were much more of a tactical game I would agree with you but it is an arcadey game so there is no real need.

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ChillyUK7
    @evanbrau said:

" @Jimbo said:

" It doesn't bother me, because that isn't the game they're making.  You're supposed to run around all over the place like headless chickens.  Beyond the textures, these games really have nothing to do with what they are supposedly portraying, so making 'realism' concessions for the sake of gameplay isn't really an issue at all, imo. "
    This is true, games like MW2, MoH, Battlefield etc are todays equivalent of the twitch multiplayer shooters like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. That they happen to have realistic textures and feature modern military equipment is purely an aesthetic or narrative decision. If you want to see what these games would be like if played "realistically" then play on one of those awful realism servers for CoD 4 or the even worse realism mod for Battlefield 2. Also when prone was in Battlefield it just led to dolphin diving which I'm sure isn't a standard military tactic. "
     Dolphin diving in BF2 was a result of the game having an instant prone, prone in Cod 4 isn't instant thus no dolphin diving.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By Red

I like prone, and I never really find it to be too much of a problem.  

Then again, I've never cared for Bad Company or Medal of Honor, so I've already made up my mind about MoH's quality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.