Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Medal of Honor

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 12, 2010

Step into the boots of Tier 1 Operatives Rabbit and Deuce in this modern take on EA's long-running Medal of Honor series; the game features separately-developed single player and multiplayer modes.

So Gametrailers gave it 8.1...

• 88 results
    h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By h0lgr

While I don't have any issue with a reviewer saying it's worth 8.1 points on his scale, this one clearly wasn't
    thought out that well. Listen to what the narrator is saying throughout the video, and you'll know what I'm talking about.
    From the first minute he's critizising it for its various problems, all throughout until the end.  At which point he suddenly throws
    8.1 out of the sky.  

I need to know that I'm not alone here - I need some Giant Bomb expert help. Ignore any other reviews for a second, just watch this
    and see for yourself if it adds up..

I smell something very strange going on here. This doesn't happen all that often, but when it does,
    you can be damn sure that we see it coming, GT. A mile away.

Video Source

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Gametrailers matters very little to people after giving COD GOTY.  

Not to mention the ads for the game all over their site. 

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By h0lgr
    @The_Laughing_Man: It was a very, very, very good, well designed, neatly packaged game, with awesome tense SP moments and a great value, with co-op and multiplayer.
    This one, not so much.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @h0lgr said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: It was a very, very, very good, well designed, neatly packaged game, with awesome tense SP moments and a great value, with co-op and multiplayer. This one, not so much. "
    No. I am saying it does not matter to many people. And that it made a lot of people mad. I for one did not care. 
    h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By h0lgr
    @The_Laughing_Man: Oh, yeah. Agreed. And yeah, that "Hour One" feature yesterday or whenever it was... It's pretty clear to me now.
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FourWude

Shenanigans seem afoot around this game.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By h0lgr
    @Jeust: thanks for that ^^
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By Jeust
    @h0lgr said:
    " @Jeust: thanks for that ^^ "
    No problem! :)
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Raymayne
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " Gametrailers matters very little to people after giving COD GOTY.   Not to mention the ads for the game all over their site.  "
    Jeff gave CoD GotY.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Raymayne said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " Gametrailers matters very little to people after giving COD GOTY.   Not to mention the ads for the game all over their site.  "
    Jeff gave CoD GotY. "
    Again I said I DID NOT CARE. The people did. 
    Twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Twazuk

Well they fucked up in the first line saying that "Medal of Honor has yet to make its HD debut." 
    What about Airborne? I remember playing that on my PS3. 

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Twazuk said:
    " Well they fucked up in the first line saying that "Medal of Honor has yet to make its HD debut." What about Airborne? I remember playing that on my PS3.  "
    I do not think airborn was IN hd. 
    destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By destruktive

It's kinda weird that the average of their scores comes in at 7.7
    How did they figure out 8.1?

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By h0lgr
    @UKSamwise: Which is fucked up, the commentary makes it sound like a 6-6.5 game
    MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MannyMAR

All their reviews are like that, sometimes they'll do the opposite where they'll say all this stuff that makes the game seem awesome then slam it with a 6 or 7.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By valrog

Wait, wait, wait. GameTrailers. Reviews. You should NOT take that seriously.

"We spent 2000 dollars and well over a week upgrading our rig, and we still couldn't run it on the highest settings." - GameTrailers Video Game Experts (Crysis Review)
    "The AI is so good, it's bad." - GameTrailers Video Game Experts S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Review
    Then there is...

• Crysis not even nominated for Best Graphics Award. Furthermore, Call of Duty 4 won it.
    • Modern Warfare 2 winning every award possible on every Platform
    • Kirby's Epic Yarn won Best Graphics
    •  Sniping with a Shotgun and then complained about poor accuracy (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Review)
    • Halo 3 Story scores more than Metal Gear Solid 4 Story
    •  "To be perfectly honest with you, the 9.3 that game got is about as high a score a game like that will EVER get on GameTrailers. And that's the bottom line. When we review games we put an EXTREMELY high emphasis on originality." - Shane Satterfield

So don't ever, EVER try to use a pathetic excuse of a Reviewing site that is GT for your argument.
    nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nohthink
    @h0lgr: .... I thought MW2 sp sucked.... The first one was great. The second one, not so much. The game deserved high score purely because of its multiplayer, which is not a bad thing. I'm just saying SP sucked. Just throwing it out there. 

But yeah it is strange for them to give MoH a surprisingly high score after all that criticisms. Yesterday, GT took its cameras to Snoop Dogg and New Boyz and showed them playing MoH and posted it up. It's a shameful marketing but whatever. Money talks. 
    h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By h0lgr
    @nohthink: OK, to each his own. Sure, money talks, but money shouldn't talk when judgements are to be made.
    This will affect thousands of "gamers" who will go out buying the game based on the 8.1 score it got from GT.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Yeah, kind of weird. Seeing as the game is plastered all over the website, you think it would be a case where the review ignored some of the games faults. It seems like they did the video review with around a 7 in mind, and last minute some guy said "that score is too low, give it an 8.1. Don't want to piss off EA". 

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nohthink
    @h0lgr: lol and I bet(of course, this is just me assuming) about 80% of people who bought the game based on that review will actually like the game. There are not that many "gamers" like us. We judge the game very critically and are able to draw some parallels with CoD. But the chances are, most people will think "oh this is another CoD type of game. Oh, I get to shoot Talibans? Oh shit, Tier 1? HELLL YEEAAH!!!" It's a game that is targeting for a mass market that CoD has created. There is nothing wrong with that.  

Of course, we, as gamers, don't like that because we feel like we're being tricked by it. It is pretty sad but really, that's how the business works. The game is not targeting for us per se. It is trying to jump on the modern FPS market, which, to be quiet honest, not a risky move in this day and age. As long as it looks something like CoD, which MoH clearly does, you'll probably make enough profits to make a sequel, which what they are targeting. Again, I'm assuming.  

If you wanna keep your job, you gotta do what you gotta do. GT doesn't wanna be another Jeff Gerstmann. Look what happened to Gamespot. I stopped going to gamespot and I still get an e-mail from them once in a while. It is better to be a suck up rather than to be in a middle of controversies. Sad. But true. 
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By natetodamax

Score wasn't all that surprising. But what annoyed me more was how he kept pronouncing multiplayer as "multaplayer"

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ch13696

This is exactly why I stopped paying attention to reviews. Even the ones here. Here's the other reasons: 

-Crappy reviewers 
    -Conspiracy theories (publishers paying to give good/bad reviews)
    -Scores don't match reviews 

I'm sure there are legit reviewers, but at this point for me, I can't listen to any reviewers anymore. Besides you feel knowing that you make your own decisions. 

And on top of that, most of what GT is complaining about are the same problems in other shooters. Also, the controlling issue should not shift how they feel about a game. Everyone adopted the Call of Duty controlling. If it works, don't fix it.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By meteora
    @nohthink said:
    " @h0lgr: .... I thought MW2 sp sucked.... The first one was great. The second one, not so much. The game deserved high score purely because of its multiplayer, which is not a bad thing. I'm just saying SP sucked. Just throwing it out there.  But yeah it is strange for them to give MoH a surprisingly high score after all that criticisms. Yesterday, GT took its cameras to Snoop Dogg and New Boyz and showed them playing MoH and posted it up. It's a shameful marketing but whatever. Money talks.  "
    For a "hollywood budget" single player cluttered up with over the top moment, it was actually a pretty good single player. The problem was the frantic and chaotic pacing of it, which made it less well designed than COD4 and on another note, less memorable. 

Also I don't really care about reviews on other sites. Most reviews are pretty straight forward and makes sense, but there are a few that are pretty obscure for one reason or another.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ch13696
    @nohthink: You make a lot of sense. Just have to point out that Battlefield actually started that market. Not Call of Duty.
    altbotdos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By altbotdos

There are 2 incredibly untrustworthy places for game reviews. One being Game Trailers, the other being Game Informer. 

There are others, but these are a 9.5 out of 10 in dirty reviewing.

smashforge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By smashforge

They verbally praise Enslaved and then gave it a 8.2   Then rag on MoH and give it a 8.1 in the same month. Thats Gametrailers 
    in a nutshell for you.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HereAllDay
    @h0lgr said:
    " While I don't have any issue with a reviewer saying it's worth 8.1 points on his scale, this one clearly wasn't
    thought out that well. Listen to what the narrator is saying throughout the video, and you'll know what I'm talking about.
    From the first minute he's critizising it for its various problems, all throughout until the end.  At which point he suddenly throws
    8.1 out of the sky.  

I need to know that I'm not alone here - I need some Giant Bomb expert help. Ignore any other reviews for a second, just watch this
    and see for yourself if it adds up..

I smell something very strange going on here. This doesn't happen all that often, but when it does,
    you can be damn sure that we see it coming, GT. A mile away.

Video Source "
    Dude I IM'd my friend the same thing after I saw that review, it was really negative but ended with an 8.1 and Eurogamer gave it an 8.0 aswell which is really, really weird, those guys are very low scoring.
    Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Eurogamer did the same thing. Poor review: high score.

Considering how much emphasis publishers place in metacritic, I officially declare shenanigans! Even on Eurogamer which is one of the most respected sites for scoring hyped games, imo.

Shenanigans!

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I looked the game up and it got some good scores.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Vinny_Says

hmmmm....ok first thing out of his mouth is a lie, MOH already had it's HD debut, it was called Medal of Honor Airborne....

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By vaiz

I don't usually call bullshit on reviews, not liking to call peoples' integrity in to question, but that definitely feels like a 'bought' review.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RankRabbit

I've seen a few 8/10 scores now and I would say that's fair. I understand the issues with the game and have observed them myself but like Brad said in the quick look you probably wouldn't notice unless you were looking at the game critically. The most annoying thing I've dealt with so far is this weird thing where the game locks up a few times during and after cutscenes (PS3 version), something I would hope they patch. It's different from CoD, that's for sure, but I don't mind that. I enjoy CoD, Battlefield and this game ads a little more variety. I just worry this game is getting a bad rap because people want "their game" to be better.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By ThePickle
    @valrog said:
    " Wait, wait, wait. GameTrailers. Reviews. You should NOT take that seriously.

"We spent 2000 dollars and well over a week upgrading our rig, and we still couldn't run it on the highest settings." - GameTrailers Video Game Experts (Crysis Review)
    "The AI is so good, it's bad." - GameTrailers Video Game Experts S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Review
    Then there is...
    • Crysis not even nominated for Best Graphics Award. Furthermore, Call of Duty 4 won it.
    • Modern Warfare 2 winning every award possible on every Platform
    •  Sniping with a Shotgun and then complained about poor accuracy (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Review)
    • Halo 3 Story scores more than Metal Gear Solid 4 Story
    •  "To be perfectly honest with you, the 9.3 that game got is about as high a score a game like that will EVER get on GameTrailers. And that's the bottom line. When we review games we put an EXTREMELY high emphasis on originality." - Shane Satterfield
     So don't ever, EVER try to use a pathetic excuse of a Reviewing site that is GT for your argument. "
    Not to mention, the worst of them all, best PS2 game of 2008 going to Rock band 2 and not Persona 4. Also, the whole Halo 3 and MGS4 nonsense. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CL60

Lol at all of the conspiracy theorists in this topic. Giant Bomb is full of people like this, and it gets old and it gets annoying.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37  Edited By Yanngc33

the game looks bland and boring I won't be picking this one up fully agree with Jeff though
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By vaiz
    @CL60 said:
    " Lol at all of the conspiracy theorists in this topic. Giant Bomb is full of people like this, and it gets old and it gets annoying. "
    Like I said, I don't usually like to call integrity in to question, or run the conspiracy angle, but when a site is plastered with ads for a game, and the final score of that game not only directly contradicts the verbal portion of the view, but doesn't match up with the math of the overall score average, shit smells fishy.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CL60
    @punkxblaze said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " Lol at all of the conspiracy theorists in this topic. Giant Bomb is full of people like this, and it gets old and it gets annoying. "
    Like I said, I don't usually like to call integrity in to question, or run the conspiracy angle, but when a site is plastered with ads for a game, and the final score of that game not only directly contradicts the verbal portion of the view, but doesn't match up with the math of the overall score average, shit smells fishy. "
    Seems more like a poorly written review that doesn't convey everything he actually felt, not a paid review.
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40  Edited By DocHaus

C'mon people, the reviewer states at the end it's a solid title with good presentation, but it's mostly paint-by-numbers. So what if the number was too high or low for your liking? Pay attention to the actual content of the review, then play the game yourself if you so choose. I've actually played the beta, and I'm not getting it for similar reasons to those that he said: it's pretty much the same as Battlefield but with better graphics and fewer customization options. No one's pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to buy games that earn over 8 points on some review on the internet. 

But oh noes, how will I ever make my own decision on whether or not a game is good if some big website doesn't validate my predisposition towards said game? They gave it an 8.1! Why won't those stupid reviewers listen to me?

No Caption Provided
    h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By h0lgr
    @DocHaus: We've already had this discussion in this very thread.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Skald
    @valrog said: 
    You think that this is a problem? I challenge you to a duel!
    R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By R3Qui4M
    @Raymayne: He said that I was his favourite, not GOTY. Favourite game can be a game with significant flaws(Story) but there is something that you really like(MP), while GOTY it has to be spot on in almost every way. This is my take on GOTY. 
    My favourite game so far: Halo Reach 
    My GOTY so far: Mass Effect 2
    h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By h0lgr
    @R3Qui4M: Not really, favourite just means it's the game you liked the most.
    GOTY just means this year's best game, not necessarily spot on in every way. Because guess what, if for some reason there are only crap games one year..
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bouke

I have to agree with the OP on this, listening to the review it sounds more like a 7 or something... then again i like to know who wrote a review because i agree with some and with others not so much.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#47  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Jeff gave CoD GotY. "
    Again I said I DID NOT CARE. The people did.  "
    What people? The stupid ones?
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Milkman

Who the hell cares?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @h0lgr:  I dunno man, I don't find the "air" that GT pulls there scores out of to be all that thinner than the air Giant Bomb pulls theirs out of.

Funny how reviews are "subjective" and just "the reviewer's opinion" when it's a Giant Bomb review, but if it's on IGN, Gamespot or GT they damn well better explain that score, and show their math in detail.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    exactly. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.