Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Media Molecule

Company »

Media Molecule is an English developer owned by Sony Computer Entertainment. They were founded by former Lionhead employees Alex Evans and Mark Healey.

Sony Acquire Media Molecule, Strengthen First-Party Portfolio

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Pretty big, but slightly predictable, news coming out of Media Molecule today. Sony's acquired them for an undisclosed sum. That is -- Media Molecule are now officially first-party developers under the SCE Worldwide Studios banner, which I believe is 21 studios strong now. In just Europe alone, Sony is in control of Studio London, Studio Cambridge, (a smaller) Studio Liverpool, Evolution, BigBig, Guerrilla and now, Guildford's Media Molecule. Quite a dream-team; that they could probably only improve by adding Quantic Dream.

Whether this signals Media Molecule are set to release something else is unclear, but it certainly seems likely if Sony has acquired them. I doubt they're buying them for more LittleBigPlanet DLC which seems to have fizzled out a little in 2010.

I'd place bets on a new Media Molecule game being announced this year. Whether or not it'll be a new LittleBigPlanet or not, we'll see. I'd imagine them doing something slightly different with Sackboy though.

Good news for MM and Sony though. Congrats all around.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Baillie

Oh, I thought they were already first-party.

Globox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Globox82

Sonys first party is mind blowing. Great job in buying MM

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

LittleBigPlanet was a fun game, but if they make more games, I want something different.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Nasar7

Good on Sony for picking them up while they're cold, so to speak.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By AuthenticM

Saw it coming. It makes sense. God Sony has a powerful first-party workforce.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By get2sammyb

Some people are hinting that this announcement and the impending GDC lectures are no coincedence. Like I said in the original post, Sony definitely aren't picking up Media Molecule for LittleBigPlanet DLC (I think the press release even states something like "exciting new projects"), and given how quiet that's been I'd imagine Media Molecule are working on something. I don't think there will ever be a LittleBigPlanet 2, but I certainly don't think we've seen the last of Sackboy.

I'm just wondering if we might see something for Playstation Motion Controller/Arc from Media Molecule. We know they're familiar with the tech as they had motion controls for LBP at last year's TGS.

Wasn't LittleBigPlanet announced at GDC in 2007?

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EVO

Wise move by Sony, MM is easily one of the best devs. 

I've read they don't plan on making LittleBigPlanet 2 anytime soon. Instead, they'll just keep adding to the game, like they did recently with adding water.

So I don't think they'll do a sequel, but I wouldn't rule it out. Last year a layer glitch or the "3D" glitch which gave you 50+ layers to work with rather than the standard 7. To this day MM still hasn't patched it so some think maybe they're beta testing us for a background editor in the sequel.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
    @EVO: They could do something entirely different with Sackboy though. Doesn't have to be LittleBigPlanet 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.