User Lists: 0

WITH NEW HD GRAPHICS filters you cant turn off

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Just wanted to know what the challenge mode is as there have already been multiple Mega Man collections before.

Gista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Gista

7, 8, 9, and 10????

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By kid_gloves

I am super into this conceptually. I also love the first 6 mega man games (minus 4). So if this turns out to be a good restoration I am totally buying it.

Lots of grumps in the comments. Complaining that the anniversary collection already exists for PS2/GC is like saying they already released the Star Wars remasters on VHS.

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By kid_gloves

How did this get missed?

MIKE MIKA — HEAD OF DEVELOPMENT

Mike Mika has had his hand in the development of well over 100 games throughout his career, including many of the classic game compilations developed by Digital Eclipse. He is also the main force behind 2015's #IDARB, an Xbox One game with over a million downloads.

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

More re-releases from Capcom errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yes! Thanks for posting this, Austin. I'll keep an eye out for this collection. If only it went up to Mega Man X, though. I never did beat that game. But hey, there's always Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 right? :-P

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By YummyTreeSap

I'll almost certainly buy this because I'm a sucker.

But I don't know, I don't really think that “Criterion Collection but for video games” is something that can possibly exist as the efforts of a single publisher. It's kind of a mockery to even use that comparison. For something truly Criterion-esque in the realm of video games it would have to be an outside organization working to gain the rights to republish important video games from all publishers, then releasing those games in a platform-agnostic manner. As we all know, that is not going to fucking happen ever.

Probably the closest that that's ever been done is some of the esp. early work GoG did for PC games, but they've since expanded in such a way that has lost that “intimately curated” feel that its early days had. Plus, PC games are only a fraction of the overall picture when it comes to important gaming history.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would they not just put all of the Mega Man games on there. Mega Mans 5 and 6 are bunk. What I'm saying is, Mega Man 7 shoulda been on here. Anniversary Collection was a better deal, yo.

xerseslives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am super into this conceptually. I also love the first 6 mega man games (minus 4). So if this turns out to be a good restoration I am totally buying it.

Lots of grumps in the comments. Complaining that the anniversary collection already exists for PS2/GC is like saying they already released the Star Wars remasters on VHS.

Totally. Every popular game ever made should be rereleased on every new console.

Because hooking up old systems is hard.

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By kid_gloves

@donchipotle: 5 Is one of the very best Mega Man games (that soundtrack!) and 7 is routinely considered the worst in the series. I'd hope that the emulation is much better than on anniversary which is good enough for me, I am not looking to just have another copy of these games... I am looking for something definitive for one of the most important game series in history. Not having 7-10 is a little disappointing but I think they are maybe focusing on specific platforms and perfecting it. 9 and 10 are already modern games.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle: 5 Is one of the very best Mega Man games (that soundtrack!) and 7 is routinely considered the worst in the series. I'd hope that the emulation is much better than on anniversary which is good enough for me, I am not looking to just have another copy of these games... I am looking for something definitive for one of the most important game series in history. Not having 7-10 is a little disappointing but I think they are maybe focusing on specific platforms and perfecting it. 9 and 10 are already modern games.

Man, Mega Man never got better after 3. 3 is a masterpiece. All you need is 3. And 7 is rad, it's better than the shit shows that are 6 and 8. Mega Man 7 stars a Mega Man that is an ice cold motherfucker. Dude's tired of Wily's shit . And it had a battle mode and how hype is it to play as Bass before it was an actual thing. 7 has a spring robot and if you're not down with that then I am sorry.

Just put out Mega Man 3. That's the definitive Mega Man experience. Maybe do 4 if you think the charge buster is essential. It isn't. All you need is the slide.

And then what they should do is put out X2 again. Mega Man 3 and Mega Man X2. The only ones that matter.

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kid_gloves said:

Totally. Every popular game ever made should be rereleased on every new console.

Because hooking up old systems is hard.

Why you gotta be that way? TVs are moving away from even having the plugs necessary to plug in anything that isn't digital, I have to use a multi-use port with a weird attachment to plug anything analog into my TV and its only one plug for all my old systems. I don't have an entire room to dedicate to old game systems being hooked up to a TV, the same way I don't keep a VCR plugged into my TV.

xerseslives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kid_gloves: Because I'd actually like to see some, I dunno, new games at some point? Sorry if if I'm being overly abrasive here. I love Mega Man more than most, but how many times can I beat 1-3? It's not even this case specifically as much as just another example of an undying trend that's getting hand-waved by people going "well, making games is expensive", as if it's the fault of consumers that publishers have shitty business models.

It's endlessly frustrating to see this stuff get shoveled out over and over only to read people go "yeah, sure, looks good, I'll buy it". It's not as if this is the first or even the fifth time these games have been re-released and doing so in the name of "preservation" comes off as such a disingenuous excuse to once again milk a franchise they have no interest in doing anything new with.

There are a million options to play these games and most of them don't include devoting an entire room to old systems or whatever.

Eldredpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the crucial thing that isn't well-explained in the article is that Digital Eclipse is trying to popularize the "Eclipse Engine," which would then be a static platform that could itself be ported to new hardware and bring all its earlier emulations with it.

One of the main problems with preservation through emulation is the lack of a clear standard, which results in multiple port jobs throughout technology changes (as we've seen a ton in the last 5 years).

This is a really good step towards an emulation standard that could lead to really solid preservation coming into place in the next few years.

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By kid_gloves

@xerseslives said:

@kid_gloves: Because I'd actually like to see some, I dunno, new games at some point? Sorry if if I'm being overly abrasive here. I love Mega Man more than most, but how many times can I beat 1-3? It's not even this case specifically as much as just another example of an undying trend that's getting hand-waved by people going "well, making games is expensive", as if it's the fault of consumers that publishers have shitty business models.

It's endlessly frustrating to see this stuff get shoveled out over and over only to read people go "yeah, sure, looks good, I'll buy it". It's not as if this is the first or even the fifth time these games have been re-released and doing so in the name of "preservation" comes off as such a disingenuous excuse to once again milk a franchise they have no interest in doing anything new with.

There are a million options to play these games and most of them don't include devoting an entire room to old systems or whatever.

I just don't see how it harms anything. A third party is doing the heavy lifting not Capcom themselves so if anything the money they get from it could be used to make new games (if Capcom is still going to do that). It is true there are a lot of re-releases of Mega Man games but that was a long time ago. It has been 11 years since there has been a compilation and the versions of the games from the compilations were based on the PS1 re-releases so its been around 20 years since any Mega Man has been touched up or "preserved" in any fashion. I just see it like classic films being cleaned up and re-released in newer better formats, if my favorite movie is getting a fancy new remaster with special features and the best presentation yet.... would you be angry that I buy it again? I am a fan, these are for fans.

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kid_gloves said:

Man, Mega Man never got better after 3. 3 is a masterpiece. All you need is 3. And 7 is rad, it's better than the shit shows that are 6 and 8. Mega Man 7 stars a Mega Man that is an ice cold motherfucker. Dude's tired of Wily's shit . And it had a battle mode and how hype is it to play as Bass before it was an actual thing. 7 has a spring robot and if you're not down with that then I am sorry.

Just put out Mega Man 3. That's the definitive Mega Man experience. Maybe do 4 if you think the charge buster is essential. It isn't. All you need is the slide.

And then what they should do is put out X2 again. Mega Man 3 and Mega Man X2. The only ones that matter.

I agree that 3 is the peak of the series, but I will not stand for Mega Man 4 over 5 or 6 when it comes to the charge buster.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Frank Cifaldi is involved, I'm in.

G3ese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always been more of a Mega Man X guy. Hopefully they eventually give them the same treatment.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Not my cuppa.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nope. I bought them all when they put them all out on the 3DS already.

And to be fair you only need 2 & 3 anyways.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag:

Wrong in the sense those games 'belong' on Nintendo hardware?

Was going to post about the ports already existing but beaten to it. It's cool an all that they are doing this (unless it's just an attempt to sink Mighty Number 9 sales by dwarfing it) but really it's the X series I find increasingly difficult to get ahold of and play that I'd like compiled together.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MML is the only mega man worth a GOD DAMN.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Shoey920

here's some 1080p NES games, you fuckers. -Capcom

serc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be interested in the complete edition, seems odd to miss off so many of the games I'll wait for the sale perhaps and then buy the rest of the games a DLC in a sale as well hopefully.

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would be ideal for a physical release. Is it going to be physically or purely digital?

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really not sure where some of the hate for this has come from. Perhaps I didn't pay as much attention to their previous retro releases. All I know that with Frank Cifaldi and Mike Mika involved I'm happy. I've been a huge fan of Frank since the 1up days and I think he is due to feature in the upcoming Outerlands documentary. Mike Mika has been awesome at engaging with Twitter during the launch of #IDARB and I've grown to have an appreciation for his legacy with regards to everything he has down historically.

Also I think I saw mention of a $14.99 price point which I feel at this point in time for these kind of collections is a fair price. I'll be very interested to see where this goes in as far as how big the legacy collection becomes. I suppose the litmus test is people buying this one...now my inner strife begins...I've never been a huge fan of the Mega Man games but I want to support this endeavor.

vhold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd maybe play a remix that was just all boss fights from all the games.

patbaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You know who loves old games? Frank Cifaldi loves old games.

Pax_Mower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, 7-10 please. But also, how about Wily Wars someday?

GregIsRad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By GregIsRad

For having such a grandiose word like "Legacy" in the title, you would think that the collection would be slightly more comprehensive than just having six titles from the original NES.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vhold said:

I'd maybe play a remix that was just all boss fights from all the games.

I'd like that. I might also go for having to fight multiple, related bosses at the same time.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By BisonHero

@bradbrains said:

@flstyle said:
@who42knows said:

Just before Mighty No. 9. Huh

My 1st thought too

you perceptive buggers you.

good point.

So on the one hand, I'm sure Digital Eclipse is going to try their little hearts out and make this into a decent bit of software. So hats off to them.

But Capcom's top brass? They give zero fucks about Mega Man, aside from making easy nostalgia money off of reissuing old Mega Man games for this collection and Virtual Console versions on 3DS/Wii U, and licensing out Mega Man for Smash Bros. 4. That is fucking it. OK, Capcom also inexplicably helped out Street Fighter X Mega Man in 2012, but really it's a fan-made game that required zero effort from Capcom and is just as much of a nostalgia-play as this Legacy Collection or the Virtual Console stuff. All Capcom had to do on that one was not send a cease & desist.

If Capcom was ever going to continue the Mega Man series, they would've at least given some small budget to a dev team to make a 3DS/Vita Mega Man game sometime in the past 4 years, along the lines of Mega Man Battle Network/Mega Man Star Force/Mega Man Zero/Mega Man ZX. But they aren't doing that whatsoever.

Capcom has been radio silent about new Mega Man projects since about 2010, when Mega Man 10 came out. They've canned every Mega Man game since then (Mega Man Universe, Mega Man Online, Mega Man Legends 3), aside from some Japan-only phone games I guess.

So honestly, the timing of this whole move just seems like it's Capcom trying to sabotage the sales of Might No. 9. I highly doubt this is the start of a new era of Capcom suddenly giving a shit about Mega Man again. It's a good business move to preempt your competition, but it sure makes Capcom look petty as fuck, since something like Mega Man Legacy Collection isn't going to save Capcom from their financial woes, and all it's going to accomplish is fucking over Comcept and Inafune.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

Hmm. Even the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, which has been out for over 10 years, includes MM7 and MM8. This'll be kind of a hard sell for me unless the added stuff is really amazing.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I first read the article.

I am excited that Capcom is acknowledging the existence of Mega Man again, because man, they have been pretending the franchise doesn't exist as hard as a company can pretend stuff.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

No 7 or 8, I'll stick with the original Xbox collection.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So as I see it this is Capcom saying that they respect the Megaman Legacy even if they have no intention of making anymore games in the franchise? Sort of weird that they didn't even try to make this an enticing collection for fans of the series... 1-6 are available in so many different forms already...

HabibM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hurray for "8 bit HD"

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

1080p Megaman = the best looking game ever made?

4K Venetian Blinds

zetsuboketti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read that as "Mega Man Legends announced", am now bummed.

tblakebraddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By tblakebraddy

@cloudymusic: That was my first reaction. I see that the words HD are being used here, but six games seems a little bit silly at this point. Unless there are license issues or something, why not the whole kit and kaboodle?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.