Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Meme Run

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Dec 18, 2014

An infinite runner for the Nintendo Wii U.

Meme Run has been removed from Nintendo's eShop

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Pour one out for all those precious lost dank memes.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

And nothing of value was lost.

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
    IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

are they going to curate the eshop now? why was it removed besides being shit?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

lulz nintendo, u mad? get wrekct

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hahaha, man. I mean, that's what it deserves, but it's still funny and sad that it ever made it through.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Swapping it out with 420BLAZEIT i'm safe to assume?

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is there a reason given? Because if they're going to start removing shit from the eshop they have a lot of work to do. Maybe the creators took it down on their own.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

are they going to curate the eshop now? why was it removed besides being shit?

If I had to guess, someone who has a copyright on one of the memes issued a complaint.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chilibean_3 said:

Maybe the creators took it down on their own.

Id like to think that's the case, then maybe there's some hope for mankind after all.

even then I wouldn't want to be in the same room as the people responsible for that fucking thing, or any person that finds stupid memes funny for that matter.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i cri evrytim

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been on the nintendo e-shop. How bad is it?

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But the memes! The memes!

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Finally. Never should have been on there in the first place.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

*AIRHORN*

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at the new releases section on the 3DS right now I see:

• Luv Me Buddies Wonderland ($30.90!)
    • Around the World in 80 Days (but not the critically acclaimed ipad game from last year, a match 3 game instead)
    • Flap Flap (which actually looks more like a Jetpack Joyride clone than a Flappy Bird clone, so good on them for that I guess)
    • Adventure Bar Story
    • Fishdom (a match 3 game from the makers of Around the World in 80 Days)

In the Price Drops section:

• 2 Fast 4 Gnomz
    • Angry Bunnies
    • Fishdom H20: Hidden Odyssey (A hidden object game NOT by the makers of Fishdom)
    • Jewel Match 3 (Guess who made this match 3 game)

It takes no effort to find trash on the eShop.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could it be because they straight lifted assets from properties they don't own? Maybe this says more about me, but I didn't get the impression the effort for original art was put into that game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As mosespippy points out, it's not completely terrible, but there is a lot of shovelware on there. I honestly don't even know why, because all the kids with 3DSs and Wii Us probably just get their parents to buy retail games, and honestly the people who own those two platforms aren't as uninformed as the suckers who owned Wiis. The discounts section is basically: 1) Atlus puts a lot of their stuff on sale regularly, 2) some shovelware is CONSTANTLY on sale, to the point that there are a handful of games like Angry Bunnies that I have never NOT seen in the discount section.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Zombine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesnt this game lift audio files from Call of Duty, along with gun art and animations as well? I don't think Nintendo killed artistic expression or anything, they probably got hit with a C&D.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombine said:

Doesnt this game lift audio files from Call of Duty, along with gun art and animations as well? I don't think Nintendo killed artistic expression or anything, they probably got hit with a C&D.

Oh, you mean a CoD CaD.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: @bisonhero: Thanks! Sounds just as bad as the Android store or any other digital marketplace these days.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The only bad thing about that thing being on the e-shop was that they were asking money for it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: @jesus_phish: I remember hearing around the DSi era that a lot of studios who couldn't get PS3/X360 dev kits would make an eShop game to have a commercial console release under their belts. That would allow them to get the PS3/X360 dev kits. Now with self publishing and such that's not the case anymore. I'm not sure why shovelware keeps coming now other than it being a quick port job from mobile.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now if only I could get it removed from my memories, too.

Zombine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: A sucker is born every minute. Sometimes people don't know any better.

aidros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

u wot nintendo

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About damn time.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean sure, it was a bad game... But i find it hilarious that this was the place it existed.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Yeah, it is almost like they are jealous of what XBLA had but don't know how to get a good amount of quality games. It is too bad, because there are a handful of good games on that service.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yoooooooo Meme run WHERE YOU AT!? WHERE YOU AT!? WHERE YOU AT!?

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greetings, my name is Duke Scorpio, a registered attorney specializing in meme-based crime. You may have heard of my work, particularly my efforts in the recent landmark case of Skeltal v. Doge.

Have you, or anyone you know been harmed by memes? Have you received a meme related injury within the last 6 months? Do you feel the government should not decide what memes you can and cannot enjoy? I can help.

Call now at 1-800-BYE-MEME

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

ILLUMINATI.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

Didn't it rejected from Steam Greenlight, too? Are we witnessing the end of all memes?

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish said:

Looking at the new releases section on the 3DS right now I see:

• Luv Me Buddies Wonderland ($30.90!)
    • Around the World in 80 Days (but not the critically acclaimed ipad game from last year, a match 3 game instead)
    • Flap Flap (which actually looks more like a Jetpack Joyride clone than a Flappy Bird clone, so good on them for that I guess)
    • Adventure Bar Story
    • Fishdom (a match 3 game from the makers of Around the World in 80 Days)

In the Price Drops section:

• 2 Fast 4 Gnomz
    • Angry Bunnies
    • Fishdom H20: Hidden Odyssey (A hidden object game NOT by the makers of Fishdom)
    • Jewel Match 3 (Guess who made this match 3 game)

It takes no effort to find trash on the eShop.

Sales are usually super weak too. A recent one was buy one Donkey Kong game and get the other equal or lesser value Donkey Kong game for 30% off.

There are plenty of good games on the eShop like Pushmo and Shantae including digital versions of full games, but there certainly is an impressive amount of crapware.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if anyone is interested in knowing, after reading this piece over on Kotaku about how the guy who made "Troll Face" made over $100k for his creation through owning the copyright to the image and licensing it out on merchandise, it turns out that Brad (or Jeffs) question about legality of this game and it's content was justified.

The reason the game was pulled from the eShop was because the guy who made Trollface was never contacted by the creators for including his image in their game and they didn't give him a cut of the sales. So he put up a copyright infringement claim against it and Nintendo pulled the game.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... memes can be copyrighted? I thought those things grow organically and don't belong to one person. Huh.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@twolines: It's the internet that turns it into a meme, but in the case of some sort of original productions like the Troll Face, that is something that a person created and they reserve the right to defend their intellectual property rights.

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
    LibrorumProhibitorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twolines: It's less the meme and more the art that goes with it. I do know that in the past KC Green has been very upset with people who try to profit on his "Dickbutt" drawing without even trying to credit the artist, though from what I know KC doesn't really want to be attributed to the image itself anyway, though stands by issuing credit to peoples art, which is the right thing. I could be getting KC's stance on how his drawing is used a little wrong, it's a bit hazy in my mind, but he doesn't like the drawing.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@librorumprohibitorum: I met him before at a con. He seemed to just dislike that the image was taken over by people and nobody brings it back to him. Nobody goes "omg it's dickbutt, hey you should check out KC Green's other work" (Which you should because the dude is both funny and can tell a good story) they just laugh at the picture

It's the same as the image of the dog sitting in a canteen on fire saying everything is fine. I've seen people cropping that image to remove his credit on it. It sucks. Dude made ya laugh, at least give him the credit he deserves.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TwoLines

@chaser324: @librorumprohibitorum: Well yeah, but does that mean that those "rage faces" in those dumb-ass comics are also copyrighted? Can someone just say that they drew them, present the evidence and sue people for putting it on t-shirts? It makes sense, but it's such a strange intellectual property to hold...

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
    LibrorumProhibitorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twolines: If the person has actively put a copyright on the image itself, yes. Not anyone can say they've got a copyright as copyright is a legal thing and if you pretend to have the copyright when somebody else owns it that's fraud. It is weird to think that "wow somebody owns rights to this dumb face" but it's art all in all when it comes down to it. No matter how stupid the connotations attached to the piece in question, it's still a creation of somebody.

I'm not an expert on copyright but you need definitive proof that you created the work in question to gain a copyright I believe. I imagine most internet artists don't have a copyright on their work that goes viral, but again I don't know much about copyright. Maybe you can copyright everything you created without having to go through the procedure of getting a copyright.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twolines said:

@chaser324: @librorumprohibitorum: Well yeah, but does that mean that those "rage faces" in those dumb-ass comics are also copyrighted? Can someone just say that they drew them, present the evidence and sue people for putting it on t-shirts? It makes sense, but it's such a strange intellectual property to hold...

Yes you can, but usual it would cost much more to sue someone than some guy selling t-shirts. Which is why all those giant companies have armies of lawyers and when some line crosses another line on a graph where the amount it would take to sue is less than the potential gain/how much that infringer probably has. Then they release the hounds with bees in their mouths.

If I made a shirt with Pikachu on it, Nintendo probably would care unless somehow it blew and I tarted selling thousands or more. Then it would be popular I probably have millions of sweet t-shirt money. Then Nintendo want a chunk of it.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zefpunk

Everybody should go read Patrick's article about the creator of "troll face" who pretty much is responsible for taking down Meme Run. Aside from the article laying that all out, it is a pretty interesting background on the man who actually created the meme we all know too well.

If you are like me, you never really thought that there was one person who created and subsequently made a lot of money off of that 4chan clipart masterpiece.

LINK: Here it is

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.