Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Online

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jul 17, 2008

A tactical, online, third-person shooter, based on the gameplay mechanics of Metal Gear Solid 4. The game's servers were shut down in June 2012.

Cant Update?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pazy

Im trying to play MGO (may as well since I bought MGS4 and only have one other online shooter) but I cant update it. It tells me there is a 1.33 patch avalable (and its mandatory) and gives me the option of P2P or HTTP download. With P2P I sat for about an hour and got 4% :| and with HTTP It was *slightly* better (I have downloaded other things a lot faster including on my new PS3) but when it got to 79/80% it keeps saying network server error (as it has many times during the update)  and wont even try to download now.

Anyone know what the problem is? Is it on my end or theirs? Thanks for anyone who can help.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Damien

I don't know the problem but all I can say is my brother recently bought MGS4 and wanted to play MGO so he downloaded the patch using HTTP.  The unfortunate consequence of that action is that he played MGO which is something you do not want to do, so consider yourself lucky and just replay MGS4.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pazy
    @Damien said:
    " I don't know the problem but all I can say is my brother recently bought MGS4 and wanted to play MGO so he downloaded the patch using HTTP.  The unfortunate consequence of that action is that he played MGO which is something you do not want to do, so consider yourself lucky and just replay MGS4. "
    I cant replay MGS4, Im only an hour into it lol but I may as well try MGO. Even it turns out to be the worst game ever then it dosent matter, it wont mar my enjoyment of (prospective) enjoyment of MGS4 unless it deletes my save, snaps my disk and pisses over my PS3.
    yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By yyZiggurat

I updated the other week without a problem.  Since I usually update way after the patch is released, I go with HTTP.

And MGO isn't as bad as people say.  Its bad, sure, but it isn't GTA IV's multiplayer.  It can be difficult to get into at first and it helps if you're familiar with MGS.  I think the main three problems with MGO are the community (a majority of them seem like teabagging/camping 13 year olds), the animation "glitch"  video at bottom of post), and how uneven some of the matches can be.

I was going to offer to show you the basics but then I saw that you're from Glasgow, I can't do that unless I make a European PSN/Konami account or you make a North American one.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

I was actually thinking of playing this online since I just picked it up a couple of weeks ago. It's a little daunting though if you phrase most of the players that way.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @eroticfishcake said:

" I was actually thinking of playing this online since I just picked it up a couple of weeks ago. It's a little daunting though if you phrase most of the players that way. "

They're not all bad, sometimes you'll find a game that isn't ALL TDM ALL THE TIME and players who are pretty cool.  The camping and teabagging usually happens in Survival and Tournament (weekly events where winners are rewarding with specially colored gear or Reward Points).  I'm playing on the NA server, maybe its different on PAL.  Either way, give it a shot maybe you'll like it.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @HomemadeZiggurat: I keep that in mind. Cheers. For now I think I'm gonna try some Killzone 2. Hell, I might even like multiplayer depending on how things go.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By sickVisionz

I recently purchased this.  Bittorrent seemed to max out at 80kb/s (BT on my PC maxes out around 360kb/s) so I switched to HTTP.  Hopefully this isn't as bad as everyone says it seems like it's going to take hours for this to download, if not days.  I wish this was like the 360 where you can download stuff in the background while playing games. 

Just watched that video... yeah, no thanks.  Thanks for saving me from wasting my time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.