Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

"Jack The Ripper" Trailer.

• 53 results
    Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Sanious

Really, really cool. Looking forward to this a lot and the demo comes out for both PSN/Xbox 360 on the 22nd if you're one of the very few people (like me) who hasn't played it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

7 minutes? Now that's a damn Metal Gear trailer. Still can't stand the gruffer voice for Raiden, but the gameplay looks pretty cool all the same. With this, DmC, and Anarchy Reigns before it, it's already shaping up to be a fine year for character-action games.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I still think it looks like trash. Every screen/video has demoed sparse, limited-pallet areas... and in 2013 I just can't abide that.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sanious

@Yummylee said:

7 minutes? Now that's a damn Metal Gear trailer. Still can't stand the gruffer voice for Raiden, but the gameplay looks pretty cool all the same. With this, DmC, and Anarchy Reigns before it, it's already shaping up to be a fine year for character-action games.

Yep.

And yeah the voice in the very beginning really bugged me. I like his normal voice, though.

I haven't even finished with Anarchy Reigns yet and probably won't be for quite sometime. Picking up DmC today and have Rising on reserve. I am really pumped to play and put more times into these games. So far AR pleases me.

@GetEveryone said:

I still think it looks like trash. Every screen/video has demoed sparse, limited-pallet areas... and in 2013 I just can't abide that.

Eh, I think the game looks fine. I'll live with it considering the game play looks completely boss to me. Which I am sure it will be considering it is P* games anyway.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor

Who's that Gilbert Gottfriend sounding mother-fcker at the start? Sounds terrible, thankfully he reverts to normal soon enough.

Really wish this was still coming out on PC....

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

Cyber-Raiden driving a car is both the dumbest and greatest thing ever.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yummylee

@GunstarRed said:

I can't not imagine a legit, white-collar Cyborg Raiden discussing the increased tax payment for nanomachines at the water-cooler or something.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By Daneian

I am really looking forward to the combat but I really hate the new turn Raiden's personality has taken and the bullshit cynicism of world they're showing off. Just comes off as stupid and mean spirited.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sanious said:

@GetEveryone said:

Eh, I think the game looks fine. I'll live with it considering the game play looks completely boss to me. Which I am sure it will be considering it is P* games anyway.

I'll never understand this. A decent system doesn't make up for something utterly bland, as far as I'm concerned.

Each to their own, though. I'm sure the combat will be great, I just couldn't care less given the rest of the package.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Hitchenson

"Cutting soon"

Yes.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee

@Daneian said:

I am really looking forward to the combat but I really hate the new turn Raiden's personality has taken and the bullshit cynicism of world they're showing off. Just comes off as stupid and mean spirited.

I agree with you about Raiden, but then I never liked him all that much in MGS4, either. I just don't think Quinton Flynn has the sort of voice that can suit some sort of all-powerful badass, and whenever he tries to gravel it up David Hayter style, it just sounds so terribly forced.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure about this any more. The combat looked a bit simple and easy but that might have just been on an easy setting. Raiden going that insane and sounding like a robo-pirate is also weird. Wasn't he going to stay at home and be a family man after 4?

Lost a bit of faith in this game even though it is platinum making it

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IBurningStar

At first I was like, "Why is he talking in this dumb voice?!" Then it revealed that Raiden has apparently lost his mind and is totally crazy now and I was like, "OK, this could be interesting." It is definitely unexpected. I really wish they didn't give away that plot point in a trailer, though. Spoiling anything in a trailer is very un-Metal Gear.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sanious

@GetEveryone said:

@Sanious said:

@GetEveryone said:

I'll never understand this. A decent system doesn't make up for something utterly bland, as far as I'm concerned.

Each to their own, though. I'm sure the combat will be great, I just couldn't care less given the rest of the package.

I didn't say it did make up for it. I don't think it looks as bad as you or that it is something that is that detrimental that it will affect my enjoyment of the game is all.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Hizang
    @IBurningStar

At first I was like, "Why is he talking in this dumb voice?!" Then it revealed that Raiden has apparently lost his mind and is totally crazy now and I was like, "OK, this could be interesting." It is definitely unexpected. I really wish they didn't give away that plot point in a trailer, though. Spoiling anything in a trailer is very un-Metal Gear.

I take it you never saw any Metal Gear Solid 4 Trailer?
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By wrighteous86

@Hizang said:

@IBurningStar

Didn't all of the MGS4 Trailers take scenes from Act 1, the first fifth of the game?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Humanity

I wish someone tweeted Hideo Kojima and asked him what he thought of this trailer and he would reply with an @ for Kamiya "eh whatever" so we can come around full circle

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ProfessorK

So it's Raiden with PTSD? Alright Platinum, show me whatcha got.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hizang
    @Wrighteous86

@Hizang said:

@IBurningStar

Didn't all of the MGS4 Trailers take scenes from Act 1, the first fifth of the game?

No, only the very early ones, there are some that show MGS Rex Vs MGS Ray, Tons of Act II Raide. Stuff, Act 3 shit going down etc.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By musubi

I'm not terribly impressed by this honestly....and I suppose that is the point of the trailer but it makes Raiden just look like a goddamn psychopath rather than a hero. I suppose I should reserve final judgement on if I'm going to purchase this or Tomb Raider for when the demo arrives however. I'm just really digging what Tomb Raider is doing more at this point.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nottle

@Yummylee said:

@Daneian said:

I agree with you about Raiden, but then I never liked him all that much in MGS4, either. I just don't think Quinton Flynn has the sort of voice that can suit some sort of all-powerful badass, and whenever he tries to gravel it up David Hayter style, it just sounds so terribly forced.

Yeah it's kind of weird. In MGS2 Raiden's character arc seemed to suggest that he'd just go home and stop trying to play soldier or at least he'd stop treating everything like a game. He'd become his own person and put the past behind him. MGS4 sort of crapped on that but he at least seemed to have some sort of arc there when he again stopped being lied to and put the past behind him. Now he just seems crazy which could be interesting if there was some sort of twist to it. What if this game was all VR or something?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wrighteous86

@Hizang said:

@Wrighteous86

@Hizang said:

@IBurningStar

No, only the very early ones, there are some that show MGS Rex Vs MGS Ray, Tons of Act II Raide. Stuff, Act 3 shit going down etc.

Really? That's CRAZY. They should've kept the Rex/Ray fight hidden at least.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By TheHT

Psychotic Child Soldier Personality GO!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By probablytuna

Can he not take that suit of armour off? Or is this what his body is made up of now? Looks incredibly weird seeing him drive a car in that suit.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IBurningStar

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Hizang said:

@Wrighteous86

@Hizang said:

@IBurningStar

I don't remember any of those trailers. Apparently I must have missed them or something, because the first time I saw Rex vs Ray was when I got to it in game.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Nottle
    He's a child soldier. I could see him having permanent PTSD right now, especially since he's essentially robbed from a normal life, since the only non-cybernetic part of his body is his head above his upper lip minus an eye.
    leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By leinad44

'Platinum Games'

That is all we need to know! Don't worry. They've got this!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Slaker117

"Deadly force is authorized"

*Puts away gun and takes out stick*

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cronus42

@probablytuna: Hes a robot. At some point in MGS they literally took off his head minus the lower jaw and put it on that robo body.

Now that just makes me want to see him have multiple bodys for different uses though. Oh going out to dinner? Better put my head on my suavest looking robot first.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nottle

@Ghostiet said:

@Nottle: He's a child soldier. I could see him having permanent PTSD right now, especially since he's essentially robbed from a normal life, since the only non-cybernetic part of his body is his head above his upper lip minus an eye.

Yes, but in MGS2 the idea of killing being enjoyable was something Riden feared. It's mentioned a few times to Rose and Snake. In MGS4 he was cold and cynical but by the end he was with his family again. I'm just wondering how they undo some of his character development or what pushed him over the edge. Because in MGS4 he had the robot body but didn't seem quite evil, just depressed.

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lucifer

I understand where they are going with this "losing his mind" much in the same vain as Gray Fox, and it is a nice connection, digging deeper into the trade-off's of becoming a cyborg, but the fact that this game seems to clash somewhat with the ending to 4 and that awful gruff voice really puts me off.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I didn't really care about Revengeance before this trailer.

NOW I NEED IT TO LIVE.

HE IS A ROBOT MAN COMMUTING TO WORK IN HIS HYBRID VEHICLE AND THEN HE CUTS POLICE OFFICERS IN HALF WITH HIS FOOT KATANA.

THIS IS WHAT VIDEO GAMES NEEDED.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By 49th

Think the gameplay looks great but seeing ridiculous cyborg monstrosity Raiden driving the most normal car was just hilarious. The whole car chase was kind of dumb really.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sanious

@Nottle said:

@Yummylee said:

@Daneian said:

Yeah it's kind of weird. In MGS2 Raiden's character arc seemed to suggest that he'd just go home and stop trying to play soldier or at least he'd stop treating everything like a game. He'd become his own person and put the past behind him. MGS4 sort of crapped on that but he at least seemed to have some sort of arc there when he again stopped being lied to and put the past behind him. Now he just seems crazy which could be interesting if there was some sort of twist to it. What if this game was all VR or something?

Some people would think that would be a cop out probably, but honestly if done well that could be pretty sick.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Yummylee

@Cronus42 said:

@probablytuna: Hes a robot. At some point in MGS they literally took off his head minus the lower jaw and put it on that robo body.

Now that just makes me want to see him have multiple bodys for different uses though. Oh going out to dinner? Better put my head on my suavest looking robot first.

Oh wow... Now I just imagined how cool/hilarious it would be if you could unlock robotic imitations of bodies from different characters across the game, sorta how like you could unlock different faces in MGS4.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

God damn I want this. Is this thing actually coming to PC? I mean, I know the Wiki says it is, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nottle

@Sanious said:

@Nottle said:

@Yummylee said:

@Daneian said:

Some people would think that would be a cop out probably, but honestly if done well that could be pretty sick.

3 hours into the game it pulls out and now your playing Phantom Pain. It wasn't Snake in that trailer, it was Raiden. DUN DUN DUNNNN.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hizang
    @IBurningStar

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Hizang said:

@Wrighteous86

@Hizang said:

@IBurningStar

I don't remember any of those trailers. Apparently I must have missed them or something, because the first time I saw Rex vs Ray was when I got to it in game.

I think it was tge one that was made as if it was a movie trailer, the one that had an announcer say "THIS SUMMER!"
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cold_Wolven

His voice was inconsistent, I wonder if it's because he turns crazy as a result of him being a cyborg at some point in the game.

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lucifer

@LordXavierBritish said:

HE IS A ROBOT MAN COMMUTING TO WORK IN HIS HYBRID VEHICLE.

What? His car is a cyborg TOO?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#41  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Demoskinos: If you're talking about the premise of Laura's growth from naive girl to confident adventurer, I've heard that entire arc happens during the first hour or so and the rest of the time is spent just mercing fools.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nottle

@Lucifer said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

HIS CAR IS ROSE. WIFE CAR AKA WAR

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By musubi
    @StarvingGamer Im just ready for another Lara Croft adventure either way. Also, never thought Id say this but the multiplayer looks surprisingly good.
    GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I think the combat looks great.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By BigBoss1911

@probablytuna said:

Can he not take that suit of armour off? Or is this what his body is made up of now? Looks incredibly weird seeing him drive a car in that suit.

He can take it off.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@GunstarRed said:

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By DocHaus

@Nottle said:

@Lucifer said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

HIS CAR IS ROSE. WIFE CAR AKA WAR

HIS CAR WAS A METAL GEAR ALL ALONG. AND THE FIFTH PATRIOT. BECAUSE NANOMACHINES.

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By MURDERSMASH

Combat looks slick, but holy cow that Jack the Ripper zinger towards the end was beyond awful.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By wrighteous86

@BigBoss1911 said:

@probablytuna said:

He can take it off.

Thanks for the reminder of why plot-wise, this game looks like it's going to piss me off. MGS4 concluded Raiden's character arc. He had come to terms with himself, and finally found happiness with the family he always wanted. Revengeance made sense for the character when it was supposed to take place before MGS4. Now it's just like, well fuck it, let's pretend the things he went through in MGS4 just didn't happen.

Obviously I'll withhold judgment until I play the game, but it's definitely something that worries me as someone that actually cares about something as ridiculous as narrative consistency in a stupid series like Metal Gear.

Zealousadonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zealousadonis

Didn't they say this game is non-canon? Raiden's change in personality from the Solid games could be them just deciding "fuck it let's make him crazy because hell yeah"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.