Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo out on XBL / PSN today

• 113 results
    Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brighty

My body is so fucking ready

EDIT: Since people are complaining that they can't figure out the controls or how to block/dodge, here's a quick guide:

To help everyone out who's still going throught the demo, here's some PS3 info on attacks that can help out. Most of the Special move info is from the video FlashBlade has been mentioning (thanks for keeping that up). It's worth watching it just to see how these are supposed to practically work too.
    (Posting a lot of this from memory and a little research, call out something if you think it's wrong)

Special Moves
    (unofficial names made on the fly; at least they look cool)

Fwd + Square = Parry (also in the air)

Fwd Fwd + Square = Launch

Fwd Fwd + Triangle = Dashing strike

360 Rotation + Triangle = Spinning Slash

X + Square = Evasion (optional direction)

Bk + Fwd + Square = Palm Strike

Bk + Fwd + Triangle = Blade Sweep

Ninja Run + Square = Quick Slash

Ninja Run + Triangle = Slide

Ninja Run + Triangle + Square/Triangle (Slide + Ground slam)

Jump + Triangle = Dive Kick

Some Combos (from GameFAQs)
    unconfirmed for right now, will give all a try and update soon.

Square (repeatedly) = unlimited light attacks

Triangle (repeatedly) = unlimited heavy attacks

Triangle (delay) + Square + Triange = Sweep 'n' Strike

Triangle + Triangle + Square + Triangle

Triangle + Triangle + Triangle + Square + Triangle

Square + Triangle (delay) + Square + Triangle

Triangle + Square + Triangle

(there's one or two, or more jump combos off of launcher, I'll post those later when I can confirm them again)

Tips

-Don't forget that with blade mode, you have the option of using square(horizontal)/triangle(vertical) strikes instead of the analog stick. Although, I get the feeling that correct aiming with the analog will really come in handy later in the game.

-Unless you're looking to get S ranking in everything, you might try experimenting with Blade Mode. Sadistic as it is, cutting off limbs and leaving the torso to walk or crawl in agony is pretty cool.

-The most opportune time to use Blade mode is when you've got a stunned opponent. Once the attack slows down and the guy glows orange, start cutting.

-Triangle + Circle gives you a stylish finishing attempt on an enemy once he/it's stunned.

-Stealth-killing is mostly getting above or behind a cyborg or gekko and hitting the button prompt.
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Marcsman

Hmmm it cannot be worse than the God Of War beta

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

I'm still skeptical of this game. Highly so actually. I'll have to play this and see what is up once PSN updates cause I'm not going to play a Metal Gear game on a non-sony platform that seems... traitorous

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Which team at Platinum worked on this? The Mad World people made Anarchy Reigns, Kimya's team Bayonetta 2 and I think The Wonderful 101. Were these guys the team formerly run by Mikami?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By MildMolasses

@Demoskinos said:

I'm still skeptical of this game. Highly so actually. I'll have to play this and see what is up once PSN updates cause I'm not going to play a Metal Gear game on a non-sony platform that seems... traitorous

I feel the same, but about MG and MSX2

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By pr1mus

Is it the same demo that was in the ZoE HD collection?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By musubi

@MildMolasses said:

@Demoskinos said:

I feel the same, but about MG and MSX2

;D Well lucky then I played both of those on PS2 in MGS 3 Subsistence

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack268

This service is currently undergoing maintenance.

ARGHGHH
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Snail

Any word on when this game is coming to the PC?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BoOzak

Played through it twice, so far my only gripe with the game is the parry system which seems bizzare. Assigning the default attack with blocking just results in a lot of thumbstick flicking, for me at least. Also the way you magnetise to enemies Batman style is a bit weird, but that could be because i've been playing a lot of Bayonetta recently and that game gives you a lot more freedom of movement.

Zan-datsu is pretty damn satisfying though, even if I dont think i've quite got the handle of it just yet. (wish the demo was longer)

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MildMolasses

@Demoskinos: In reality, I'm interested in the game because of Platinum's involvement, but MGS4 turned me off of the series so badly. I can't deal with Kojima's story-telling. And based on Bayonetta, I would probably go with the 360 version, unless Platinum did the PS3 version themselves and ensured it's up to the standard they want

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By musubi

@MildMolasses said:

@Demoskinos: In reality, I'm interested in the game because of Platinum's involvement, but MGS4 turned me off of the series so badly. I can't deal with Kojima's story-telling. And based on Bayonetta, I would probably go with the 360 version, unless Platinum did the PS3 version themselves and ensured it's up to the standard they want

Bayonetta was fucked up because SEGA did the port not Platinum. Had they done it instead of SEGA the PS3 version might have panned out differently. Platinum has been all hands on with this version. I'm fairly sure the PS3 version is lead platform actually.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By impartialgecko

@Demoskinos:I thought the outrage at exclusive franchises going multiplatform was a thing of 2009. Why do people attach importance to series going multiplat exactly? Doesn't it mean more people get access to good games?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#14  Edited By Humanity

@Brighty said:

My body is so fucking ready.

I hope that this game sells more than 1/3 of what DMC4 sold on its opening week.

Seriously though, I can't help but feel unimpressed with how this game handles environments. Large empty streets with no defining characteristic other than "some city somewhere." Hopefully the full game isn't so dry.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Snail said:

Never.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snail

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Snail said:

Never.

Then why is it listed as a platform in the wiki page? Hmpf.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By musubi

@adam1808 said:

@Demoskinos:I thought the outrage at exclusive franchises going multiplatform was a thing of 2009. Why do people attach importance to series going multiplat exactly? Doesn't it mean more people get access to good games?

I never said i was "outraged' i simply said I personally like to play metal gear games on sony consoles. Some franchises I attach to specific consoles.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MildMolasses

@Snail said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Snail said:

Never.

Then why is it listed as a platform in the wiki page? Hmpf.

I was just looking into that. Basically it was announced as being on the PC, but that changed. At this point they are still considering a pc version, but won't decide until after the console versions ship. However, considering none of the companies involved are known for their pc games, who knows if it would be any good

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jimmyfenix

GIMMIE A HELL YEAH!!!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Snail

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Snail said:

Never.

According to this article it seems like it might happen.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By impartialgecko

@Demoskinos: I suppose that makes sense. I played the MGS1 remake on Gamecube before even touching the other games in the series so I probably don't attach the series to sony as you.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By GunstarRed

@BoOzak said:

Played through it twice, so far my only gripe with the game is the parry system which seems bizzare. Assigning the default attack with blocking just results in a lot thumbstick flicking, for me at least. Also the way you magnetise to enemies Batman style is a bit weird, but that could be because i've been playing a lot of Bayonetta recently and that game gives you a lot more freedom of movement.

Zan-datsu is pretty damn satisfying though, even if I dont think i've quite got the handle of it just yet. (wish the demo was longer)

I've had the demo since the ZoE game came out and the parry system really, really, really requires a lot of practice. Once you get it down it's pretty easy to do, but until you do (the window for doing it does feel strange) it can feel like you're unfairly getting hit... It just requires practice, and I have a feeling it's going to put a few people off of the game. I also never really use the free-slash in the slow motion mode unless I need to hit a particular target. Using the heavy and light attacks to do vertical and horizontal slashes might not be as precise as the right stick, but works about 99% of the time just as well.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Pie

@GunstarRed said:

@BoOzak said:

Played through it twice, so far my only gripe with the game is the parry system which seems bizzare. Assigning the default attack with blocking just results in a lot thumbstick flicking, for me at least. Also the way you magnetise to enemies Batman style is a bit weird, but that could be because i've been playing a lot of Bayonetta recently and that game gives you a lot more freedom of movement.

I've had the demo since the ZoE game came out and the parry system really, really, really requires a lot of practice. Once you get it down it's pretty easy to do, but until you do (the window for doing it does feel strange) it can feel like you're unfairly getting hit... It just requires practice, and I have a feeling it's going to put a few people off of the game. I also never really use the free-slash in the slow motion mode unless I need to hit a particular target. Using the heavy and light attacks to do vertical and horizontal slashes might not be as precise as the right stick, but works about 99% of the time just as well.

Don't you need to slo mo to take out the spines?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunstarRed

@Pie: Aghh, I mean when you hit the LT and go into slo-mo you're supposed to line up or wiggle the stick about to cut, but if you hit x/y (I assume square/triangle) he does vertical and horizontal slashes really quickly, and mashing those buttons is almost exactly the same as lining up the stick and slicing. I've played the demo like a billion times and I haven't found a single reason why you wouldn't just use that method. I assume certain targets will need to be hit on bosses and whatnot in the full game, but all the enemies in the demo it works just fine.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BurBan_Snake

Thanks for posting this! I never check the Marketplace or PSN.. lol

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pie

@GunstarRed said:

@Pie: Aghh, I mean when you hit the LT and go into slo-mo you're supposed to line up or wiggle the stick about to cut, but if you hit x/y (I assume square/triangle) he does vertical and horizontal slashes really quickly, and mashing those buttons is almost exactly the same as lining up the stick and slicing. I've played the demo like a billion times and I haven't found a single reason why you wouldn't just use that method. I assume certain targets will need to be hit on bosses and whatnot in the full game, but all the enemies in the demo it works just fine.

Ah, I didn't know that.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GunstarRed: That is no where near as fun as slicing the enemies up yourself and seeing what happened which is kind of the point of the game. There might be a points differences as well but I haven't checked

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GunstarRed

@Blimble: Slicing freely is fun, but mashing buttons gets me much better rankings.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GunstarRed said:

but mashing buttons gets me much better rankings.

That's annoying. They really should have built a point system around how creative you could be with the free slice mode. I'm just going to keep dicking around with that as i more interested in how it works, plus getting a decent rank hasn't seemed difficult so far if you understand the game

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SomeJerk

60fps makes me want to punish my dong like I caught it breaking into my apartment

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pie

I hate the UK

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

I will be playing that tomorrow night :) also preordered it!

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KittyVonDoom

Played through the demo. I want to like it, but the free slice mode is frustratingly unintuitive to use. It wouldn't be so bad, but considering that's how you get health, by the end of the demo I was left almost hating it. Just me?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KittyVonDoom: it just takes some practise and then you can be really good with it

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Brighty

Just finished playing through it three times.

Holy shit that game is going to be amazing.

- Parry system was really easy to pull off, IDK why some people in this thread are having trouble with it. It's just like it was in Bayonetta, except you need to press X as well (square on the PS3). Just requires decent hand-eye coordination and looking for the enemy queues (bad guys' eyes light up red when they're about to attack). I had little difficulty parrying every single move that LQ-84i does. In fact, game is almost too easy once you get parrying down, looks like I'll be playing this on Hard when it ships.

- Combo system is... interesting. Its definately nothing like any DMC game, its hard to describe, but its a bit more free-flowing, but I still haven't figured it all out yet. It seems a little more complicated than I first expected.

- Theres a lot of combos and techniques that aren't explained in the demo, for example X + A (or Square + X) at the same time dodges/sidesteps

- Cardboard box hidden in the tutorial level, had fun running around in that.

- Cannot wait to use all the new weapons in the game

@KittyVonDoom said:

Played through the demo. I want to like it, but the free slice mode is frustratingly unintuitive to use. It wouldn't be so bad, but considering that's how you get health, by the end of the demo I was left almost hating it. Just me?

Dont use the right stick in free slice mode unless you want precision cuts, read the text on the screen when you go into Blade Mode - it tells you you can use Wide Attack or Strong Attack to use horizontal or vertical strikes. You can attack much faster this way.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Giantstalker

This isn't showing up on the PSN Store for me. PS+ exclusive?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jack268
    @Giantstalker: No, the store is just slow with updating as usual.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By musubi

Grrr...PSN store needs to update.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting to see how this one pans out, I'll def check out the demo but I'm not holding my breath on a life altering gaming experience...

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By BoOzak

@Brighty: I never said the parry system was hard to pull off it's just... weird. Contextual defensive actions that are allocated to the same button that's used for the default attack doesnt seem like a good design decision to me. Everything else feels great though, I just think if it were assigned to another button it'd feel more satisfying, but i'm sure there's a reason for it. Regardless i'm hyped for the game.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#41  Edited By bed

when does the PSN store usually update? this is like, the first time in forever that i've waited for the store to update.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By Hector

Definitely want to try the demo. I've seen tons of videos but I want to know first hand how the game feels.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By superfriend

@AjayRaz said:

when does the PSN store usually update? this is like, the first time in forever that i've waited for the store to update.

Yeah, I want to know too. For some reason I´m very excited to finally try this game. Does PSN have regular update schedules/days like Xbox Live?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Quarters

Played the demo when I got the ZOE HD Collection for Christmas. Look, I don't know for sure how the story will be in the long run, but it at least seems like it will be a super fun game. Cutting stuff up is addictive. I sucked the first time I played it, but the second time I went through, I already felt infinitely more comfortable with everything, and was pulling off more complicated moves. Can't wait to play the real thing. Great start of the year for character action games. Hopefully God of War is up to snuff.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By ViciousReiven
    @Hector said:

Definitely want to try the demo. I've seen tons of videos but I want to know first hand how the game feels.

It feels good, but very unconventional, it has moves you'd expect a game like this to have, but controls that you wouldn't. 
    A lot of people are going to end up confused about how block/parry works, you probably wouldn't know there's a dodge if no one told you, same thing with some of the attacks like launchers and a stinger-like attack. 
    I might make a cheat sheet of controls for people, but here's a video showing off most of the moves: 

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jack268

Can apparently be found on the US PSN store now by searching "Rising". 

No such luck for Europe yet.  

Guess we'll have to wait two weeks as usual.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By musubi

Downloading now... 3.8 gigs or something like that. Now, I play the waiting game.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hakunin

Fucking finally!

Turbyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Turbyne

I played the demo and didn't care for it in the least. I'd been anticipating this for months too.

Not my kind of game I guess, and I ended up liking that new DmC game quite a lot despite joining the hate bandwagon pre-launch.

Surprised this did nothing for me. Whatever, lots of other games coming out.

Admittedly, that dude making loads of DmC hate threads making a mess in his pants over this game is kind of tragic. But I guess this is where he'll live on the forums for a while. I should get out of here.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By musubi

Yeah, played it and I pretty much hate it. Its a damn pretty game though and impressive that its cranking out at 60fps. I could give no shits about what story they are trying to shove at me and I think the controls are generally just fucking awful especially after playing something that controls so well like DmC. Hey, whatever I'm sure some people will enjoy it. As for me I'll stick to DmC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.