Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Need to play other Metal Gear games to enjoy this?

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

So I never played a Metal Gear game *shame* but now I get this for free with PSPlus, do I need to play any other games to fully enjoy this or is it ok to play this blank? I know nothing about the story.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Not really, for me the draw of this game isnt the story.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If you want some back ground story on raiden you should play MGS 2 & 4 but you can play MGR with out any knowledge of MGS

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

Its not required as the story told is pretty much self contained but you'll be absolutely lost when some specific events and people from past games show up. That being said the main arc you can totally follow along with and the game is damn fun.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By mrcraggle

There are some specific references but you'll be fine. I did laugh quite hard at the beginning of this game though when his arm gets cut off and he just exclaims "Not again!"

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I've played the other Metal Gear Solid games and I didn't enjoy Revengeance. Which is weird since I really liked Bayonetta, but somehow this didn't click with me.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

These kinds of questions always amaze me. Of course it'd be a benefit to you if you've played the previous entries in the canon. Of course some references, plot details, revelations and so on will go right over your head otherwise.

If you're asking if this game is a good way to jump into the Metal Gear clusterfuck, I'd say no. As a standard action game it's a lot of fun, however. It's worth the $20 you can pick it up for.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

Not really, but you'd benefit from some knowledge about the second turtles movie and Vanilla Ice.

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@gunstarred said:

Not really, but you'd benefit from some knowledge about the second turtles movie and Vanilla Ice.

This man speaks the truth.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

You're totally in the clear! The story in Revengeance isn't stressed, and deals almost entirely with new characters / locations.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

No but you should anyway.

Shame indeed.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@nictel said:

So I never played a Metal Gear game *shame* but now I get this for free with PSPlus, do I need to play any other games to fully enjoy this or is it ok to play this blank? I know nothing about the story.

Outside of knowing who The Patriots are, who get name-dropped a lot in MGR, there's only one character from previous games other than Raiden who show up, as well as a modified version of one of the famous Metal Gear mechs.

Go for it, you'll be fine.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

NO!!!!!!!!11

But the game is dang fun, bro.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pyrodactyl

The part at the end (particularly that ''NANOMACHINES SON'' line) won't be as hilarious if you've not played MGS4 but I'm sure you'll be fine just bathing in the nonsense.

godlyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Of course not. Though, having played the other games makes the fight with the Metal Gear (not a spoiler, it happens in the prologue level) that much more satisfying. You spend most of MGS2 in fear of Metal Gear Ray but in Rising, Raiden obliterates the thing in the first level.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Of course it'd be recommended, but it's far from being required to enjoy the game or the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.