Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Pre-Load is up at Steam and its 24Gigs

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just a few more days to go, cant wait to see how the port is like..fingers crossed

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

woooo! i heard it is max 1080p 60 FPS.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I already played through it on the 360, but I'm seriously considering checking out the Pc version. It could be even more amazing!

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By billymaysrip

I really hope that this port is good. The PS3 has only 256 mb of ram, imagine how good the cutting could look with a couple gigs of ram! What they did with this game to make the real time cutting work is nothing beyond fantastic for technology that they had to work with, I just hope that the port matches up with the tech of high-end pcs.

From what I've read there is an option to turn up the number of possible cuts, so I'm excited!

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They're certainly going the right direction by letting you watch cut-scenes, listen to codes and play the boss fights all from the main menu.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AMyggen

I generally do not have high hopes for Japanese PC ports (especially Konami, even if they're probably not that directly involved in this), but let's hope it's good!

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I won't be able to get my key until the 9th because I got it from gamefly for about $5 cheaper than the steam sale. But I have a good feeling about this port, haven't played it on consoles so I'm super excited!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Gotta say, getting real fucking annoyed by unnecessary bloatedness of games. I look at my Steam games list by size, and Skyrim is at 9 gigs while Max Payne is 30, Left 4 Dead 2 is 14, and Bioshock 2 is 14 as well. Some games (GTA4 - 16, Bioshock Infinite - 18) get a pass because I'm guessing they're actually using that space. Max Payne was the most eggregious example of that, and I think I recall The Force Unleashed 2 was also around 30 gigs. Clean your shit up, developers!

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Gotta say, getting real fucking annoyed by unnecessary bloatedness of games. I look at my Steam games list by size, and Skyrim is at 9 gigs while Max Payne is 30, Left 4 Dead 2 is 14, and Bioshock 2 is 14 as well. Some games (GTA4 - 16, Bioshock Infinite - 18) get a pass because I'm guessing they're actually using that space. Max Payne was the most eggregious example of that, and I think I recall The Force Unleashed 2 was also around 30 gigs. Clean your shit up, developers!

Jesus christ, really?! There's only about 4 hours of game content there!

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought this impulsively during the sale. Dear god, let this be alright.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played MGS1-3 (thought they were good, but I didn't fall in love with the franchise) and I didn't finish 4 because I realized that I really didn't care about the overall story arc. Should I even give this game a shot (for the gameplay) or should I pass on it (because the story is what makes the game great)?

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski: In this game it's the other way around. The story doesn't matter at all.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ch3burashka

@jclane said:

@ch3burashka said:

Like I said, bloated. MGS4 filled the Blu-ray, and most of the time it's filled with different languages (that takes a lot of space) which seems to have an easy solution - don't include all those languages... or make them available for download (free, not paid dammit).

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheap price and some of the GB's praise raised my interest on this game, but I'm still doubtful, mainly because of the story. It's somewhat nice, if the gameplay itself is good enough to keep you entertained, but a really stupid story hanging on the background can still get rather irritating. Kinda the same reason (plus the overall visual style of the game) for why I never bothered with Bayonetta, beyond playing the demo of it.

Dalerax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been going back and forth with if I should pick this game up or not. Haven't ever played a Metal Gear game but I (like Glottery) became interested after hearing good things from Jeff and crew. I watched the quick look again but, I don't know... just seems a tad boring from what I saw. Run forward, chop. Repeat. Something keeps drawing my interest back, though.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: That is very true, but that has nothing to do with the overall story. You wouldn't even need to play the rest of the game to find that ending awesome.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

FINGERS CROSSED. HYPE IS UP.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#19  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@jclane said:

@ch3burashka said:

It's The Force Unleashed 1 that is 29 GB on Steam, the second game was only 9 GB.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@glottery said:

Cheap price and some of the GB's praise raised my interest on this game, but I'm still doubtful, mainly because of the story. It's somewhat nice, if the gameplay itself is good enough to keep you entertained, but a really stupid story hanging on the background can still get rather irritating. Kinda the same reason (plus the overall visual style of the game) for why I never bothered with Bayonetta, beyond playing the demo of it.

Dat Bayonetta story was gold, solid gold.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jclane said:

@ch3burashka said:

Like I said, bloated. MGS4 filled the Blu-ray, and most of the time it's filled with different languages (that takes a lot of space) which seems to have an easy solution - don't include all those languages... or make them available for download (free, not paid dammit).

A lot of PS3 games had their pre-rendered cutscenes in full 1080p. That takes up way more space than audio tracks (which admittedly can start to add up).

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw:

No Caption Provided

I was curious after you said that, so I popped my disc into my PC to see how much I could see. First off, I was surprised to see it only clocking in at ~30GB; I'd heard years ago that it took up a full two layers (~50GB). Secondly, while I don't know what could be in that demo.dat container, the movie.dat, vox.dat, and bgm.dat (I assume for FMV, voiceovers, and music respectively) only take up less than 10GB of the total. I imagine someone might have already peeked inside those to see what exactly's in them, but I'd have to install something else to do that.

Just thought that was interesting! Also, apparently the fullscreen background that pops up when you put the disc in is just a PNG in the PS3_Game directory. Great for stealing wallpapers, assuming you've a 16:9 monitor.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By MildMolasses

@amyggen said:

I generally do not have high hopes for Japanese PC ports (especially Konami, even if they're probably not that directly involved in this), but let's hope it's good!

When in doubt, assume Iron Galaxy is doing it

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@jclane said:

@ch3burashka said:

And for the people who don't have an internet connection, or the available bandwidth to download those languages? It kind of screws those people over. On a disc, there's no harm in filling up the available space with features.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jsnyder82

I can't imagine what it's like for people with hard drives less than 500gb these days.

Developers aren't even trying to save space anymore, are they? If Bethesda can make a game as sprawling as Skyrim only 6-7 gb, there's no reason other developers can't do the same.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@the_nubster: Games are only going to get bigger with this generation.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Andorski

@teoball said:

@andorski: In this game it's the other way around. The story doesn't matter at all.

But is the story only enjoyable if you know what happened in the previous MGS games?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By artelinarose

@andorski said:

@teoball said:

But is the story only enjoyable if you know what happened in the previous MGS games?

It barely references them at all. This is a standalone thing.

People seem to have difficulty wrapping their brains around this not being a Metal Gear SOLID game. It's Metal Gear RISING. Totally different thing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

Only other game that I remember being as big was Max Payne 3 and I gotta hand it to them, that was a really well optimized port. On my then weaker PC it ran silky smooth and looked gorgeous.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DonPixel

Probably a bunch of uncompressed video files and localisation audio.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yeah, even though the install size I feel didn't quite match up to what I saw on screen, I agree. It ran buttery smooth on my PC. I would take larger file sizes if it meant every game ran that well.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

It also includes all of the DLC, doesn't it? I don't know how big those were because I never played them, but I'm sure that is also contributing to it.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

It also includes all of the DLC, doesn't it? I don't know how big those were because I never played them, but I'm sure that is also contributing to it.

It sure adds, but the software side of this things is not nearly as big as audio or video. Not even the 3d work including textures should be this large.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@humanity: Yeah, even though the install size I feel didn't quite match up to what I saw on screen, I agree. It ran buttery smooth on my PC. I would take larger file sizes if it meant every game ran that well.

Well I played and finished Max Payne 3 on 360 and it already looked pretty good for a console game but on PC it was even nicer.

I also couldn't agree more - if it means the game will run better, sure dump that 30gb install on me. Tera was over 40gb ..

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

@artelinarose said:

@donpixel said:

It sure adds, but the software side of this things is not nearly as big as audio or video. Not even the 3d work including textures should be this large.

The DLC also reuses a lot of the levels in the original campaign so aside from the aditional cutscenes they shouldnt add much. I think donpixel is right there isnt any reason the game should be so big aside from lazyness. I just hope it's well optimized, I played the hell out of Rising on 360 and the main game ran great but for some reason the DLC felt a little choppy. (unintentional pun)

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

hopefully this a harbinger of Japanese ports to come to PC. I'd love for PC to my console of choice this gen

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Get used to it, next gen ports are going to be even worse.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka said:

@jclane said:

@ch3burashka said:

And for the people who don't have an internet connection, or the available bandwidth to download those languages? It kind of screws those people over. On a disc, there's no harm in filling up the available space with features.

Like Adam Orth definitively made clear, those people don't matter.

But yeah, what I meant was sell US language in US, JPN in JPN, etc. And, if that's not enough, bring in your memory cards into Toys R Us to download languages from their portable kiosks.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster said:

@ch3burashka said:

@jclane said:

@ch3burashka said:

Like Adam Orth definitively made clear, those people don't matter.

But yeah, what I meant was sell US language in US, JPN in JPN, etc. And, if that's not enough, bring in your memory cards into Toys R Us to download languages from their portable kiosks.

To be fair I wouldn't blame on publishers/developers, this is more of a problem with Internet providers going fucking backwards the last couple of years.

If you guy want to enrage with someone, enrage with the actual evil corporations.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#40  Edited By jacksukeru

I didn't play any of the DLC so if this is a good port I'll definetly pick it up eventually.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

hmmmm, I bought over a dozen games on steam sale, I own the game on PS3.... and then it sits on my HDD till Thursday...... so noooooooo, I'll download last minute.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel fortunate that I have no download limits... and hard drive space is so cheap that I don't really worry about it... so, bring it on!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By golguin

I didn't play any of the DLC so if this is a good port I'll definetly pick it up eventually.

The DLC for Sam and Blade Wolf is free on the 360.

To those picking the game up for the first time here are two helpful tips.

1) Parry everything (red light indicator) except for the yellow glow.

2) Listen to every codec. Pop it open whenever a new cutscene, new boss, new enemy, new situation, new anything happens. All the characters will have something to say.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as this is a decent port, £15 seems the kinda money I am willing to spend on it.

@amyggen said:

When in doubt, assume Iron Galaxy is doing it

God I hope not. Didn't they do that awful locked at 30fps Salutes Simulation?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, the game was unlocked today and I pretty much played all day. Coming from a Japanese developer, this is the best god damn PC port I've ever seen. Plays great, looks great, runs great. Solid 60 FPS at max settings at 1080p on my aging machine. That game is also a ton of fun.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a fun game, but it was the least good Metal Gear game. The other games had a certain amount of "epic" mixed in with their crazy. Revengeance just relied on the crazy.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am so glad we are leaving DVDs behind. Hopefully the days of cutscenes looking worse than gameplay due to video compression.

To anyone complaining about the file size of this game, go compare the image quality of the cutscenes between the 360 and PS3 versions. One looks like dogshit, the other looks better than gameplay. Even worse is when PC games use horribly compressed 720p video for the custscenes when there is no issue of disc of space to worry about. I'll gladly give up an extra 10-15 gb of hard drive space to get rid of video compression.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By zenmastah

the only problem im having is the game runs at 50fps in fullscreen.

everything maxed and 8xMSAA its a solid 50fps though so seems alright.

i53550 gtx770 8Gigs RAM

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.