Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Why so much hate for this game?

• 82 results
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Deranged

Why are people complaining? It's not even a true sequel, merely a spin-off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2
    deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

Because it's different! ...and unlike what Arby's would have you believe, different is NOT good. We humans love to persecute anything or anyone different!!

Personally, I would prefer that it be a stealth game, but we already had a ton of those. I'm up for something of a change of pace now and then, so I'll check out the reviews once this comes out.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Because everything they've released thus far has looked absolutely atrocious.

Did you not see the images released a couple of months ago?

It looked, and this is absolutely not hyperbole, like a late PS2/early 360 title.

Appalling.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By wrighteous86

@FLStyle said:

@StrainedEyes said:

I hate this game because they decided against telling the story of Raiden between MGS2 and MGS4.

This. I'm disappointed because that story had a lot of potential.

However Platinum will make a better cyber-ninja Raiden game than Kojima Productions ever could.

Yeah, the gameplay looks fun (if slightly inconsistent with the tone of previous Metal Gear games), that's all okay. MGS 4 was THE END for the main character and the main plotline, and it takes away some of the impact to say "Oh, but wait, there was still a bit more to do." It kind of invalidates Raiden's growth as a character from that game too. Setting it between MGS2 and 4 would've solved both of those problems.

Still, I'm waiting to play the game to see if it still bothers me from a story standpoint. I'm sure I'll like the gameplay well enough.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By hermes

Metal Gear fans didn't liked it because its not a Metal Gear game, and Kojima is only a producer.

But that was before one (possibly two) true Metal Gear games were announced... now fans just don't care, and the rest of us can't wait.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think a lot of people were annoyed that Raiden didn't get the happy ending he had at the end of 4. The whole becoming a weapon and stuff again kind of goes against his little arc in 4. I'm personally okay with that because a big theme of metal gear is people never getting what they want or peace, you always get dragged back into killing and most of the time you don't know who or what you are fighting for. I can see where everyone else is coming from

It being developed by another studio and Kojima not being that heavily involved could also worry people. Platinum is one of the best developers out there though so people really don't need to worry, if nothing else it should have amazing combat if it is from them.

Haven't had a chance to play the demo yet and I generally love anything metal gear or made by platinum(/clover) so maybe my opinion could be taken with a grain of salt

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#57  Edited By project343

I think 'hate' is the wrong word. I think most people are just 'indifferent.' The only thing that makes me moderately interested in the game is the developer's pedigree.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Morrow

People don't like change.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By stryker1121

It helps not to be invested in the MGS franchise. From a pure action game standpoint, Revengeance looks like a ton of idiotic fun.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ExplodeMode
    Posted 8 months ago

These days there isn't a lot of hate at all. Unlike other franchises that try different approaches, KP have done a good job of showing off and getting interest levels up for future MGS 'main line' titles along side this game. People either seem into it or they don't care. Not many people are actively against it.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By stonyman65

Because it looks fucking stupid? And Raiden.

I probably one of the most die hard MGS fans on the planet but this..... this is just dumb.

When a game gets killed, brought back, killed again, and then brought back again over the course of 3 years and STILL nobody is saying anything about it... It's kind of a fucking sign. Just let it die already! Nobody cares anymore!

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By Shortbreadtom

I just think it looks pretty drab outside of the sweet cutting mechanic.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I'm still hyped for the game and I like Platinum as a developer and since Kojima Productions weren't going to finish the game then I think Raiden as a character couldn't be in better hands than with a developer that cherishes fast fun dumb action. Also it doesn't make sense for Raiden to be a stealth character like Solid Snake so of course this game wasn't going to be stealth.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GrantHeaslip said:

@GetEveryone said:

Because everything they've released thus far has looked absolutely atrocious.

Did you not see the images released a couple of months ago?

It looked, and this is absolutely not hyperbole, like a late PS2/early 360 title.

Appalling.

Revengeance by no means look amazing, but I think you’ve forgotten what games actually looked like in 2005. It’s certainly not “appalling.”

I meant, specifically, the dreary, single-pallet battlefields with absolutely nothing going on in them.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By reisz

@StrainedEyes said:

I hate this game because they decided against telling the story of Raiden between MGS2 and MGS4.

No way man, you should be stoked about this, if Rising sells enough, it could potentially make Raiden a marketable character thus opening up the possibility that game will be made, especially since they have the tech all sorted with the FOX engine. There is a proven track record for Metal Gear Solid prequels after all.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By HerbieBug

It's called Metal Gear. It has totally different gameplay and presentation. That's all. Naturally some will be upset.

For me, this being a Metal Gear game is only incidental to my hype for it. Platinum Games action game is the reason i'm interested.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By toowalrus

I stand by my statement.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#69  Edited By FLStyle

@Reisz said:

@StrainedEyes said:

No way man, you should be stoked about this, if Rising sells enough, it could potentially make Raiden a marketable character thus opening up the possibility that game will be made, especially since they have the tech all sorted with the FOX engine. There is a proven track record for Metal Gear Solid prequels after all.

The FOX engine and MGS prequels count for little when Kojima Productions needs Platinum to devote time and resources away from its own projects to make the Cyber Ninja Raiden hack and slash games for them.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#70  Edited By Brendan

I love the word revengeance. It should be a new word.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#71  Edited By golguin

@HerbieBug said:

It's called Metal Gear. It has totally different gameplay and presentation. That's all. Naturally some will be upset.

For me, this being a Metal Gear game is only incidental to my hype for it. Platinum Games action game is the reason i'm interested.

I'm interested in the game because of Platinum Games. I've actually never fully played a MGS game (played one for a couple of minutes a long time ago at a friends house) and have never been interested in the series.

SonnyCheebah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SonnyCheebah

@Stonyman65 said:

Because it looks fucking stupid? And Raiden.

I probably one of the most die hard MGS fans on the planet but this..... this is just dumb.

When a game gets killed, brought back, killed again, and then brought back again over the course of 3 years and STILL nobody is saying anything about it... It's kind of a fucking sign. Just let it die already! Nobody cares anymore!

It got killed because Kojima didn't know how to make it. And it looks so awesomely over-the-top, that this may be my favorite "Metal Gear" game to date. I can't believe that people still aren't attracted to the Platinum Games stamp. They should make every game, ever.

krok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By krok

I won't buy a Wii U, so Bayonetta 2 is out of the question. This is the closest I'll get for now. I'm excited as all hell.

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By arch4non

After the trailers I've seen opinions of this game do a complete 180. I'm not sure how much of it is the game looking incredibly awesome or how much of it is just DmC haters latching onto something which isn't DmC, but most of what I've been reading for the last few days has been very positive.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By tebbit

I just wish it wasn't so yellow-brown in colour palette. That's been this generation's ragdoll - abundant, and mostly poorly done.

MurderBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MurderBunny

@arch4non said:

After the trailers I've seen opinions of this game do a complete 180. I'm not sure how much of it is the game looking incredibly awesome or how much of it is just DmC haters latching onto something which isn't DmC, but most of what I've been reading for the last few days has been very positive.

I think it is more down to the fact that this is a spinoff and there are more mainline MGS games coming now. So there is less you can hate about it for what ever happens you will still get your MGS stealth game.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77  Edited By Milkman

It's a completely different from all the other MGS games so obviously, there are going to be die hard fans who are going to have a problem with their favorite franchise going in a completely different direction then they are accustomed to.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

You don't seem to "get" MGS and are only focusing on the skin and not anything beneath

MGR looks great but reading your gross over simplified view was painful.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By bananaz

@EVO said:

Hate? All I've seen is praise.

Same here. As for the series. The storytelling style doesn't quite hold up anymore. I watched a friend of mine play his first MGS game, MGS3, and he started skipping all cutscenes early on. I had to tell him to watch the bridge one, where Volgin shows up. He stopped playing after the credits. I could not blame him at all. I love this game, but if I was playing it for the first time today, I would also stop. MGS really treats you like a small child when you don't need it and then gives you no direction when you do need it.

Remember in the demo, after you kill the first three dudes, when Raiden and his handler have a lenthy and unnecessary conversation about killing those dudes? MGS is back, baby.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80  Edited By DoctorWelch

Wait...since when are people hating on this game? It wasn't even going to exist until Platinum Games decided to make it fucking awesome.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81  Edited By pr1mus

TIL that once upon a time people hated this game.

Seriously surprised by this because ever since i started paying attention to this game the general feeling i get from people is that it looks awesome.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Nottle

@bananaz said:

@EVO said:

Hate? All I've seen is praise.

Same here. As for the series. The storytelling style doesn't quite hold up anymore. I watched a friend of mine play his first MGS game, MGS3, and he started skipping all cutscenes early on. I had to tell him to watch the bridge one, where Volgin shows up. He stopped playing after the credits. I could not blame him at all. I love this game, but if I was playing it for the first time today, I would also stop. MGS really treats you like a small child when you don't need it and then gives you no direction when you do need it.

Remember in the demo, after you kill the first three dudes, when Raiden and his handler have a lenthy and unnecessary conversation about killing those dudes? MGS is back, baby.

Thats crazy because in every single MGS game you can call up your CO and he'll tell you what to do. Being confused on what you are doing in an MGS game seems like an untrue statement because like you said you'll get a call that says "go to strut F and diffuse the bombs" and then Snake or Raiden will say, "Got to strut F to diffuse the bomb? Got it!"

I think people have the patience to watch those cutscenes or not. I think they are entertaining as hell and it was only a few years ago when I first started to play them.

I always thought it was strange though that my friends can watch Netflix all day but a 6 minute long cutscene is too much.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By bybeach

Revengeance has my attention because they may truly be trying to do something on play and story. Or not.

As for old MGS, I totally agree with Nottle. That's what the radio or whatever that device was for(forget the term} Your handler, someone else or even psychologist would give instructions, back ground, etc. It was interesting once to see Snake disagree, and probably was right. But you still had to grasp and use the info by various means.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.