Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 13, 2001

The follow-up to the 1998 blockbuster, Metal Gear Solid 2 blends tactical stealth and action. This sequel takes the action to an offshore oil cleanup facility seized by terrorists who are holding the President hostage. It helped sell the PS2, featuring advanced AI, physics and cover mechanics for its time, and one of the first postmodern narratives in gaming.

Some Final Metal Gear Scanlon 2 Stats!

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I so much enjoyed watching the first season of Metal Gear Scanlon and have loved the charts that people made for the last game that I decided to make grab stats of my own for Metal Gear Scanlon 2! I didn't make a death counter because I know someone else is already on top of that so I decided to gather various other stats for everyone else to enjoy!

Also I'd like to make this my (very late) christmas present to all of you giantbomb duders! I've gotten a lot of entertainment from the GB guys and the forum users over the years and this is my way of contributing! I know these aren't the sexiest looking charts but please enjoy regardless!

Link to the Album

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

To those of you who are confused on the last chart "Weapons Used" it is a graph displaying which methods Drew used to take out his enemies (sorry if that wasn't very clear! I'll do better next time!)

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
    wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

god damn, drew

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have just been informed that I may have forgotten to add a boss encounter on one of my charts. If you find any issues like that please let me know!

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Glad someone's crunching the numbers. Nicely done =]

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: Thank you. Somebody else already has the Drew's Death Data so I figured I'd take care of some other stats. All in all this was a fun thing for me to do.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Awesome!

Is there any way you could maybe elaborate on how some of these are reached? Like, Average boss times. I assume you mean the average of all attempts to beat each boss(so, general boss length); just took a minute to realize. Also, what is Tengus? I know Tengu are the gun guys, but I'd guess most people don't remember their name or know them as a boss. I'm cool with them being included as bosses, but it was a tad confusing. And Weapons Used. How did you reach those numbers? Amount of shots with them? Amount of kills?

Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@truthtellah: Yeah the average boss times are the averages of each attempt.

The Tengus are the soldiers you fight with Snake after obtaining the sword in Arsenal Gear. I labed them a boss fight according to this link: http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Bosses

I took a count on a per episode basis on what weapon Drew used to take out his enemies. I just added them all up and the chart posted is a tally of each weapon used. Either using Lethal force or Knocking them out.

This was my first time doing something like this so I guess when you look at all the data from my perspective it can be harder to understand why people get confused :/ I'll try harder the next go around to make it easier to understand!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: Well, at least there's an explanation in the comments now if anyone is confused. :)

Thanks for doing this!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew Fatman would pose the biggest problem.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on these numbers I think Drew is getting better. Possibly.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Dan constantly refers to the video of Drew's deaths and the stats from the first Metal Gear. Where are these? My search for them has been fruitless.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Wow, awesome list!

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_insano: somebody else has been keeping a tally of the deaths. I have my own data concerning that but I thought it would be better to let that other user take care of that part of Drew's journey and I do other parts.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

Oh you gotta love graphs. This is rad.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Can someone do a comparison of the numbers from 1 vs 2?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

What does 'weapons used' mean? I don't think it's bullets shot by each gun.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: @ajamafalous: Sorry for the confusion! Yes it is the weapons Drew used to either kill or knock out his enemies.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice work on the data collection and graphs duder.

I hope they will use this data to decide that they need to set the difficulty to "Hard" or "Extreme" for MGS3. Just look at those boss battle stats and compare them to MGS1. "Normal" in modern MGS games is just way too easy.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: I would argue against that. Playing MGS2 again and watching Drew pretty much having zero problems (save for Fatman) has really shown me that the boss fights in MGS 2 are really underwhelming compared to the rest of the series.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this data is just making me jumpy for MGS3: Drew Eater (or MGS3: Drewsistence).

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hassun

@oscar__explosion: Wait what exactly are you saying? That he should play MGS3 on "Normal" because it actually has good boss battles, unlike MGS2? (The Pain not included of course.).

In MGS3 you get a lot more options to take on the bosses and nearly every boss has an incredibly easy way to defeat them on any difficulty. I think the modern MGS games practically NEED to be played on Extreme, just to have some sort of challenge. And that's not me bragging about my (nonexistent) skills either.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#24 Marino  Staff
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@marino: I let out the biggest "WOOOO!" just now. I'm glad I got the house to myself :D

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love seeing Drew stop playing around with tranqs and just start merc'ing fools near the end of the season.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also that Solidus fight felt longer than 5 minutes at 32 seconds, though I guess it was shorter if you average the attempts together.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cooljammer00: Well in those last two episodes he didn't have any choice but to start killing dudes which is total Kill count goes over is knockout count.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I can't believe those boss deaths. I expected at least 20 for Fatman.

Drew, there's a killer inside you. You don't have to deny it.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By bceagles128

I am REALLY impressed by these boss death totals (especially as a first-timer) and likewise REALLY unimpressed by these alert/continue totals in the game's core gameplay.

PS. This video series drove me to play through MGS4 for the first time in 5 years. I AM playing on Hard, but I've been taking it slow (using stealth tactics, camo, etc) and I'm still struggling a bit in places. I can't imagine how much Drew will struggle in MGS3/MGS4 if he continues with his typically run and gun and over-reliance on the radar approach (especially since the radar is terrible in MGS4 and nonexistent in MGS3).

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Jeff would have a thing or two to say about how you use percentages.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@oscar__explosion: So if you do this for MGS3 are you going to count the ladder as a boss fight?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do wonder if they'll just got EZ gun during 3. There's not many required stealth sections in that game but if he just tranqs in first person, well get by.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

The thing about watching both series of Metal Gear Scanlon is that it has actually reminded me how little you actually PLAY Metal Gear games. This is not a criticism, as I loved the games as the time, and I'm keen to get back into them, but I think that excepting Drew's repeated deaths, there's not a lot of game actually there, yet, at the same time, there are so many mechanics at play.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matoyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: I feel you are asking for Drew to give up partway through due to frustration. He already waaaay over-relies on the radar and is kinda... Bad... at the stealth parts. Bumping MGS3 up on his first go-through is a bad idea.

Avatar image for big_boss_snake_
    Big_Boss_Snake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is amazing ! You're pretty good !

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nice work, dude.

slayers_bernie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_insano: MGS games have so many options for dealing with rooms that the game is basically a sandbox. MGS2 is very short if you rush to the main objectives. I got a lot of miles out of that game just poking around and trying to incapacitate guards in amusing ways. My favorite was dragging tons of sleeping guards into a Strut F room and planting claymores and books everywhere. For the Metal Gear Scanlon stuff it makes for better programming if he moves through the games diligently so a lot of that is missed. MGS3 has some great mechanics sandbox parts but I would assume Drew won't spend more time anywhere then he needs to advance the plot. I kinda hope they try to catch and keep the tsuchinoko or something.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome work! Oh my rations...

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wow, fatman really takes most attempts? I guess looking back that sounds right, but man, I just do NOT get that at all. He's so freaking easy. Then again, so are all of the bosses, but if I had to take a guess at which fight would've taken the prize before the start of the series I probably would've said the RAYs fight, but I guess by that point Drew was finally starting to get the hang of things and fatman is pretty early on. Drew's got low acceleration but a high top speed. Hopefully he struggles less with 3 and doesn't take until the end of the game to finally get a handle on all the mechanics. I haven't finished it yet, but so far it seems to be continuing the tradition of super easy bosses, so here's hoping for less frustration for his sake. I'll enjoy it regardless, but I can't help but feel bad for the dude.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I am REALLY impressed by these boss death totals (especially as a first-timer) and likewise REALLY unimpressed by these alert/continue totals in the game's core gameplay.

PS. This video series drove me to play through MGS4 for the first time in 5 years. I AM playing on Hard, but I've been taking it slow (using stealth tactics, camo, etc) and I'm still struggling a bit in places. I can't imagine how much Drew will struggle in MGS3/MGS4 if he continues with his typically run and gun and over-reliance on the radar approach (especially since the radar is terrible in MGS4 and nonexistent in MGS3).

Huh, really? Maybe I'm expecting too much from Drew then. Not that I think any number of attempts is "ideal" or w/e, it takes as long as it takes. I more judge it based on his frustration level. Five attempts may be good, but not if he's getting super frustrated. Five attempts does seem like a lot to me though, for any of the bosses. I'm really not trying to sound like I got "skills" or w/e, but this feature is what made me play MGS2 right before Drew did. I was playing it for the first time, and I think the RAYs fight is the only one that took me more than one attempt. I also found the core stealth gameplay to be very light and forgiving, but then again I cut my teeth on Thief and Splinter Cell, so maybe that's only natural. I really have a hard time knowing if I'm better than average or if Drew's worse than average, and the fact that most people played this when they were little kiddies probably doesn't help with figuring that out. You're right about five attempts not being bad though. Maybe I did it better, but I wouldn't have been frustrated with five if that's what it took. Unfortunately Drew seems to get frustrated pretty quickly, lol.

danryckert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 danryckert  Staff

I love stuff like this. Excellent, excellent work.

Agent_of_HYDRA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. Very intersting to see stats about how people play games.

Please_Love_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is cool but man that misuse of apostrophes. . .

phoenixlol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone please explain the pie chart percentages?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.