Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 13, 2001

The follow-up to the 1998 blockbuster, Metal Gear Solid 2 blends tactical stealth and action. This sequel takes the action to an offshore oil cleanup facility seized by terrorists who are holding the President hostage. It helped sell the PS2, featuring advanced AI, physics and cover mechanics for its time, and one of the first postmodern narratives in gaming.

The Original Game Plan for MGS2

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kasaioni

So recently I came across a translated document that outlines all the initial ideas that Kojima had for MGS2. The broad strokes and most of the general basic ideas made it into the final product, but a lot of stuff did not. For example:

-A two player split-screen versus mode, where players could either battle each other, or play hide and seek.

-An item called the "Mantis Mask", which would allow the player to hear the thoughts of, not only of enemies in gameplay, but character's minds in cutscenes.

-Split-screen cutscenes; one screen is the cutscene, the other screen allows the player to keep playing. (This happens in MGS4 one time in the last half of the game).

-Rose was initially going to be a character called "Maxine Work", and went by "Max". She would have saved your game and quoted Shakespeare.

-Two additional members of Dead Cell. "Chinaman", who would have controlled "his body weight at will through qigong". And "Old Boy", who was a Nazi war veteran and used WWII weapons and equipment.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I would've liked more members of Dead Cell, the few they have just don't compete with Fox Hound

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

There was also a bunch of stuff cut because of 9/11. Some of that stuff made it into trailers some of it didn't.

Split screen cutscenes are a terrible idea. You can't pay attention to them because you are too busy playing. I didn't notice any of the extremely ridiculous shit in the Raiden Vamp fight in MGS4 until I watched an LP of the game.

The versus mode made it into MGS3 as Metal Gear Online.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Split screen co-op missions would've been cool.

I could see versus being fun, since the simple versus mode in ZOE 2 was harder to put down than I would've imagined. But MGS would rely on the honor system a whole lot.

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weren't some of Vamp's powers originally meant for Chinaman as well? Eg: walking on water

You could argue that still made it into the final game too.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Chinamen is not the preferred nomenclature, dude.

Danzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Danzig

Chinaman is what the character was called, dude.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@danzig said:

@artisanbreads said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

I could see versus being fun, since the simple versus mode in ZOE 2 was harder to put down than I would've imagined. But MGS would rely on the honor system a whole lot.

Hell, the versus in ZOE 1 was really fun despite basically being a weird afterthought.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

I remember watching the making-of DVD that came with MGS2 and Kojima mentioned Chinaman. You would have fought him in the chamber where you fight Vamp in the final game. Parts of the battle would have taken place underwater where Chinaman would send sharks after you. He also had a dragon tattoo on his chest that would come to life when he was underwater and it would attack Raiden.

Sometimes I like to ponder the game that MGS2 could have been if it hadn't been so rushed to completion. It would have been something quite different, I think...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Also makes it harder to be sympathetic to Solidus when he's working with a straight up Nazi.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@kasaioni: Chinaman and Old Boy sound fucking cool. All the other stuff, eh.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I remember watching the making-of DVD that came with MGS2 and Kojima mentioned Chinaman. You would have fought him in the chamber where you fight Vamp in the final game. Parts of the battle would have taken place underwater where Chinaman would send sharks after you. He also had a dragon tattoo on his chest that would come to life when he was underwater and it would attack Raiden.

Kinda glad Chinaman was cut, then. I *hate* the swimming section in that game. Fighting a boss while swimming sounds like the worst.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

My favorite bit of cut content was the boss fight against a shark while Raiden and Snake swim through the ocean to infiltrate Arsenal.

TracerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@crazybagman:

@danzig said:

@artisanbreads said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Throwin' rocks tonight, boys

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They also pondered an actual chase sequence on the sinking tanker which was teaser in one of the trailers but didn't make much sense from a gameplay perspective.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kung_fu_viking: I don't think it would be that different. It just seems like that game would have a lot more in it.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The ending apparently had much more content. Arsenal Gear would have been shown barreling through Manhattan, Raiden was to cut an American flag from a pole having it wrap around Solidus' body.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The making of MGS2 videos out there have some pretty fascinating stuff. Was there anything similar put out for 3 and 4?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.