Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 17, 2004

The third installment in the Metal Gear Solid franchise is swathed in the Cold War, and it's up to a strangely familiar soldier codenamed Naked Snake to keep the Soviet Union and the United States from all-out nuclear war.

My first MGS experience.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By zombie2011

So i just beat MGS:3 the original shit version, not subsistence the version that has a camera that wasn't designed just to piss you off.    

Well i started with this game because it's the first chronologically in the series, as i am told and the best. I really tried to watch the cut-scenes and follow the story, but when Ocelot, i believe thats his name, had a 5 min cut-scene of him just twirling his revolvers i started to get pissed. Also the entire game i thought i was playing as Solid Snake because the guy looked and sounded like him, but when i looked up the story after i beat it, it said  the character was Naked Snake. Who the hell is this and why does he look and sound just like Snake? I'm so confused.  

Anyway, my question to you is should i continue with the series? are they all this confusing or did i fuck up by starting with the 3rd first? Also is the camera this bad in all of the games i know they finally fixed the camera in MGS3:S and MGS4, but did they fix it for the updated gamecube version of the original and MGS2:substance. 

The game wasn't all bad some of the boss fights weren't bad, the flame thrower guy The Pain was fun, so was Big Boss. Fighting her in a field of flowers was really awesome. Then again some boss' sucked ass like The Fear who jumped from tree to tree was horrible because of the bad camera and shooting, same with The Sniper boss. I'll probably play Subsistence later just for the better controls.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By UncleDisco

I think you should have started with mgs 1 instead.. since it's always easier to start with an older game and move on to a newer one.. and yes the camera is like in the other games, but it really doesn't matter since you have a radar on your screen.. it became a problem in Snake Eater, since they removed the radar.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#3  Edited By Little_Socrates

I started with the second game, then played the first. The game might've been confusing because you thought you were Solid Snake, so I'd suggest playing the first Metal Gear Solid and reading some of the backstory information. Otherwise, you're going to be very disappointed that no, there's not a lot of catch-up work introduced until the later Metal Gear Solid games. XP

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By macandcheese
    @zombie2011: you played as Snake the original who was cloned to create Solid Snake, you may know him better as Big Boss, and yes you should continue the series, it would also have made a lot more sense if you had played MGS 1 and 2 first. 

Hopefully I'm right since I am not an expert with the MGS series
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By zero_

Your mistake was to start with MGS3 - IMO, it's the best in the series, however you get a lot more enjoyment out of it from playing the previous two. It's not a requirement, sure - my friend played MGS3 without 1 or 2 and it is one of his favourites games of all time, it just wouldn't helped you in liking it a bit more.

I think you should continue on - maybe with just 1 though. Judging from what you said, you'd probably like a more succint and sensible story and 1 definitely is the most sensible of the entire series. 2 you might find enjoyable - you certainly won't have the backlash the gaming industry had when the 'twist' was revealed, but it's still a great game with a strange, strange ending. 4 if you do have a PS3, you should consider. Plays a bit more actiony than the others (depending on how you want to play). I wasn't a huge fan of 4, but can appreciate how it tries to fix up 2 badly.

On a side note, for me personally in order it's: MGS3 > MGS 1 > MGS4 = MGS2 = MGS:PO (I did quite like PO) > Acid

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

There's a reason why it's called MGS3... It depends on you knowing some of the background story.

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By THE_END
    @zombie2011: Dude you should have played the subsistence version it is WAYYYY better than the original.  I beat both versions, but honestly subsistence is a million times better since the camera has been fixed.

Also, how did you enjoy the boss battle against me?
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Karl_Boss
    @THE_END: You were an asshole at first but once I figured you out you were pretty easy to beat.
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zero_
    @THE_END: I think I got really lucky. I didn't have all that frustration and long as waiting as everyone on the net did, I was able to come behind the End (not sneak upon him) and lay about 10 shot gun rounds on his ass and he died pretty quickly actually.
    Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chuggsy

Question: How is the camera fixed in subsistence? I played the original, because that's the one my friend gave to me. I hated the camera, but I still played through and really enjoyed the game. So how is the camera different?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zombie2011
    @Chuggsy said:
    " Question: How is the camera fixed in subsistence? I played the original, because that's the one my friend gave to me. I hated the camera, but I still played through and really enjoyed the game. So how is the camera different? "
    I'm pretty sure its more of a 3rd person view, more behind the back where you can move the camera around. 
    willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By willin

Like you I played Metal Gear Solid 3 first and thought it was awesome. I also recently played MGS2 not to long ago and I can tell you the story goes in all kinds of fucking directions.

Also the ladder scene from MGS3 is one of the best video game moments ever.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By dogbox
    @Chuggsy: the perspective is more like a traditional 3rd person cam, level to Snake, and you can control it fully with the right stick. It really makes a big difference!
    Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chuggsy
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @Chuggsy said:
    " Question: How is the camera fixed in subsistence? I played the original, because that's the one my friend gave to me. I hated the camera, but I still played through and really enjoyed the game. So how is the camera different? "
    I'm pretty sure its more of a 3rd person view, more behind the back where you can move the camera around.  "
    Oh, so it's more like MGS4 then? That sounds alot better, I might actually go back and play it that way some time.
    Sabin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sabin
    @THE_END: I just turned off the game during your fight.  Came back a couple weeks later and you were dead.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Emilio

You started with the worst game in the series, besides Metal Gear Fan Service 4. 

Stick with 1 & 2.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Metroid545
    @zombie2011: someone has probably already answered this but naked snake is soldi snakes biological father, snake was created from DNA taken from naked snake in his late 50s. Also yes you fucked up bad by playing MGS3 first, while the story is interesting (probably only to people who know snakes story and are finally seeing all the connections between naked snake and solid snake) the game itself was my least favorite MGS
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By sjschmidt93

Naked Snake is Big Boss, the guy who Liquid, Solidus, and Solid Snake were cloned from. 

You should definitely continue, considering you started with, in my opinion, the worst game in the main series.

Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mr_Bubbles
    @Emilio said:
    " You started with the worst game in the series, besides Metal Gear Fan Service 4.  Stick with 1 & 2. "
    Wow dude, just wow. 

Metal Gear Solid 4 was the only Metal Gear game I have ever played, but I was able to piece things together and figure out the story as much as I could. Now, Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of, if not the best game I've ever played.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Emilio
    @Mr_Bubbles said:
    " @Emilio said:
    " You started with the worst game in the series, besides Metal Gear Fan Service 4.  Stick with 1 & 2. "
    Wow dude, just wow. 

Metal Gear Solid 4 was the only Metal Gear game I have ever played, but I was able to piece things together and figure out the story as much as I could. Now, Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of, if not the best game I've ever played. "
    ok.
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Metroid545
    @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
    Also the ladder scene from MGS3 is one of the best video game moments ever. "
    I sang along and was sad when I got to the top :(
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Metroid545
    @THE_END: HA I killed you while you were outside in your wheel chair so i never had to fight you!
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @Metroid545 said:
    " @THE_END: HA I killed you while you were outside in your wheel chair so i never had to fight you! "
    But you got struck with the wheel chair in return. Unless you were a boss and dodged it.
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Metroid545
    @RaikohBlade said:
    " @Metroid545 said:
    " @THE_END: HA I killed you while you were outside in your wheel chair so i never had to fight you! "
    But you got struck with the wheel chair in return. Unless you were a boss and dodged it. "
    look at my avatar, of course I dodged it
    njkfull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By njkfull
    @zombie2011 said:

I'm pretty sure its more of a 3rd person view, more behind the back where you can move the camera around.  "

I think so ! 

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By wfolse1
    @Emilio said:
    Psh.  More like the best.  I love all of the main MGS games, but saying that this game is worse than 2?  It simply doesn't compute.  Although, MGS 3 doesn't have the amazing Fortune theme...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.