Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 22, 2005

An updated version of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater containing several new features, most notably a third-person camera and an online mode.

The Backlog - Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
    deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided

Last week my Xbox 360 decided to die in the middle of a heated session of Brutal Legend so instead of sitting around waiting for it to get repaired I decided to dig out my PS2. I know it's crazy but up until last week I had never played Metal Gear Solid 3. Having beat the original PSX game and MGS2 for review in the early 2000s, I never really felt the need to see the series through. Last year I decided to fix that when I purchased the Metal Gear Solid: Essential Collection for the PS2.

In 2009 I revisited the original PSX title (which is still an amazing game) and MGS2 (I don't care what anyone says, it's a great game) but got a little burnt out and decided to take a break after close to 25 hours of tactical espionage action. Feeling the need to see what all the fuss was about I booted up MGS3 for the first time last week and a few nights later I found myself watching the credits roll. My only thought? What a great game.

MGS3 did so many different things and while I don't think any elements of it were executed perfectly, I would say that it's one of the most enjoyable games on the PS2. It's strange how Kojima can create a game that isn't a ton of fun to actually control and play but when you get to an end of a sequence you feel the need to continue moving forward. Like something is pulling you to see these characters through to the conclusion even if it means setting off a hundred "alerts" and getting killed over 4 dozen times.

I'm definitely going to play through Metal Gear Solid 3 again at some point in the future. I don't really feel that my initial play through was how the game was supposed to be experienced and my next time through I'd like to try my best to be stealthy. Also, I really have a thing for EVA and her.... umm... b... bike.

[I actually also played and finished MGS4: Guns of the Patriots this week but I'm going to take a couple of days to really let everything set in before I write about it.] 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
    deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided

Last week my Xbox 360 decided to die in the middle of a heated session of Brutal Legend so instead of sitting around waiting for it to get repaired I decided to dig out my PS2. I know it's crazy but up until last week I had never played Metal Gear Solid 3. Having beat the original PSX game and MGS2 for review in the early 2000s, I never really felt the need to see the series through. Last year I decided to fix that when I purchased the Metal Gear Solid: Essential Collection for the PS2.

In 2009 I revisited the original PSX title (which is still an amazing game) and MGS2 (I don't care what anyone says, it's a great game) but got a little burnt out and decided to take a break after close to 25 hours of tactical espionage action. Feeling the need to see what all the fuss was about I booted up MGS3 for the first time last week and a few nights later I found myself watching the credits roll. My only thought? What a great game.

MGS3 did so many different things and while I don't think any elements of it were executed perfectly, I would say that it's one of the most enjoyable games on the PS2. It's strange how Kojima can create a game that isn't a ton of fun to actually control and play but when you get to an end of a sequence you feel the need to continue moving forward. Like something is pulling you to see these characters through to the conclusion even if it means setting off a hundred "alerts" and getting killed over 4 dozen times.

I'm definitely going to play through Metal Gear Solid 3 again at some point in the future. I don't really feel that my initial play through was how the game was supposed to be experienced and my next time through I'd like to try my best to be stealthy. Also, I really have a thing for EVA and her.... umm... b... bike.

[I actually also played and finished MGS4: Guns of the Patriots this week but I'm going to take a couple of days to really let everything set in before I write about it.] 
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By danielkempster

Great read, KimFidler. Metal Gear Solid 3 is my favourite game in the Metal Gear universe, and it probably always will be. I loved the Cold War backdrop because it allowed for a more focused, believable storytelling experience than MGS2. I loved the cutscene-heavy storytelling because the cutscenes themselves were so stylish and clearly animated with care. I loved the tweaks they made to the gameplay to fit in with the setting - the hunting and the camouflage, while not perfect as you say, added an extra dimension to the game and resulted in me wasting a lot of hours simply exploring the game's lush, gorgeous environments in search of cool stuff. And as if all that weren't enough, it also features that boss battle with The End.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.