Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

Why Metal Gear Solid 4 is nowhere near as good as you think

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#151  Edited By jacksukeru

Just read it, can't say I disagree with anything in particular. I did enjoy it back in the day, but yeah..only played it once.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#152  Edited By RobotHamster

Definitely has its minor flaws and you point of some good things, but its no where near as bad as you put it to be.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#153  Edited By damnboyadvance

Can't say I agree with you. This all comes from the viewpoint that Metal Gear Solid 4 is a bad game. Metal Gear Solid 4 is nowhere near as BAD as you make it to be.

Also, the part with bad textures is a little extreme. I don't see how that makes Metal Gear Solid 4 "bad" at all. They are problems I'd only notice if I paid close attention. In other words, they don't really matter.

Metal Gear Solid 4 still has 5 stars.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#154  Edited By Faint

and now, someone could just as easily make an overly long post like this highlighting why the game is as good as you think.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#155  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @Faint said:

" and now, someone could just as easily make an overly long post like this highlighting why the game is as good as you think. "

I would like to see that, but unfortunately I don't think it's possible. :)
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#156  Edited By NTM

Uhhh. Sadly I can agree with some of the stuff you said. Like the first few things. But, still. I love MGS4 and what came before it (and yes, MGS2 is awesome). As for the soundtrack, I don't think it's that amazing, as apposed to original and varied. Though, if you listen to the theme it sounds like the subtle ending song to Crysis. I'll just leave it with this. I think you're wrong for having the opinion that MGS4 isn't good. But, I also... can't do that.  

"I was once a devout fan of the franchise. I no longer am. I realized that its story is childish, its narrative is immature, and its script reads like it was written by thirteen-year-olds who think they can make a Hollywood movie with two handheld camcorders (to use an antediluvian term)." 

I think you have to play it over to realize that it actually is good. Because if you listen to it, it's not good at all. Like, when I've heard my friend play any MGS game. I couldn't stand it. This statement though, is partially true. That's why I never bought the latest PSP game.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#157  Edited By Demyx

I honestly do not see the point of doing this. If people like it people like it. Why go out your way to prove them wrong. Nicely written though. Haven't played any MGS games so I have no opinion.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#158  Edited By gamb1t

i noticed that the harcore nerds that have tv tans are the ones that hate it. casual gamers love it. do you get it? go outside

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Cornman89

I'm left a bit breathless by the futility of this endeavor, but for whatever it's worth, it's a pretty well-written critique of the game. You start nitpicking at some really petty stuff like how the hair looks, etc., and that of course whittles away at the effectiveness of your argument (I can only assume you were aiming for sheer quantity), but most of your substantial arguments I agree with. I doubt I've ever been as disappointed with a game as I was with MGS4, and I too count myself as a fan no longer.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#160  Edited By obcdexter
    @ZanzibarBreeze: 
    Oh, it totally is. Only problem: Nobody would be stupid enough.

Don't try to force your opinion on others.

I read the whole (well crafted) argument, yet I do not feel any different about MGS4 and my experiences with it.
    Great game is great. If you don't think so, you don't think so. :)
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

If the detractors actually took the time to read the preamble they would see the following:

• I do not think Metal Gear Solid 4 is a bad game, as I clearly state.
    • I am not trying to force my opinion on to others, as I clearly state. (I admit that the title of the thread is sensationalist, but such an attitude is not reflected anywhere else in the text, and that title seemed like a good idea at the time.)
    • This was written to counter people who try to claim that Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the best games ever made based on a factual assertion (in other words, claim that it's your favorite game, but don't claim that it's the best game ever made). That assertion is plainly false. It is a fine game, an average game, not a bad game, but it certainly isn't a good game, and it certainly isn't the best.
    • I also point out that I won't praise Metal Gear Solid 4. Metal Gear Solid 4 does have some good going for it. But this is not a review of the game, and people who interpret it as such have not spent the time to read the preamble. This is a summary of the flaws I find in the game, and nothing more. I clearly state that I want the reader to think about what makes the game good on their own.

Furthermore, people seem unable to get past my short commentary on the hair. Remember, this the developer that claimed the game had the best visuals going for it. People laud this game as one of the best looking titles on the market. Both points are plainly false. Most people don't know this, but even Ryan Payton, on the Kojima Productions Report podcast, pointed out that he was dissatisfied with the hair. The hair is not a nitpick: the hair is a mere example, indicative of the fact that when people cite Metal Gear Solid 4 as a good looking game, they are incorrect.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My take on MGS4, I enjoyed it.  It's not perfect, it has its flaws, but I did find it fun and reminiscent of the past Metal Gear Solid games.  MGS3: Snake Eater is still my all-time favorite of the series though, but I really can't say that MGS4 can not be considered to be one of the best games of this generation, in my opinion. 

I guess I really don't want to nitpick on games coz I like to appreciate the production given to these games in terms of writing the story, making the characters, connecting the story to the series, development of the whole game, designing, etc, just for the people to enjoy.  Sorry, I respect your opinion, but I also find the entry to be kind of harsh.  Plot holes are common, even many great movies have plot holes, but in overall, people still did understand MGS4's story and enjoyed it.  The look of the game is one of the best coz not all games look that good.  Uncharted may look better, but again, it is just "one" of the best-looking games of this generation.  In my opinion, I appreciate the game and it's kind of unfair to despise a gamer's opinion of MGS4 as being one of the best games (coz it seems like that's what you are aiming for with stating all these flaws even if you like MGS). 

Maybe you can suggest a better story or better production for MGS4?  I'm just curious to know, what do you think could have been a better ending or story for MGS4? :)

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @lilbigsupermario said:
    Plot holes are common, even many great movies have plot holes, but in overall, people still did understand MGS4's story and enjoyed it. ...

In my opinion, I appreciate the game and it's kind of unfair to despise a gamer's opinion of MGS4 as being one of the best games ...

Maybe you can suggest a better story or better production for MGS4?  I'm just curious to know, what do you think could have been a better ending or story for MGS4? :)

Plot holes have plagued the entire Metal Gear series. The problem lies primarily with the fact that Kojima and his cohorts are amateur storytellers (Kojima is, in fact, a failed novelist turned game designer). It happens that Metal Gear Solid 4 has more plot holes than any other game in the series, though certainly not as big as the gaping plot hole in Metal Gear Solid 3's story which renders that entire game irrelevant.

And, once more, I don't hate people for liking Metal Gear Solid 4, I don't want to stop people from liking Metal Gear Solid 4. It is my opinion that Metal Gear Solid 4 is not as good as the majority of people seem to think, and that Metal Gear Solid 4 does not deserve the critical acclaim it received.

Finally, for Metal Gear Solid 4 to have a better story, the current scenario would have had to be scrapped near completely. 

I would not have resurrected such a fraught case of characters from the past games in the series. Naomi, for instance, does not need to be there. Neither does Raiden, who, if you believe Metal Gear Solid 2 proponents, was essentially a representation and manifestation of the player within MGS2's story (so what's he doing in a sequel?). Even if you don't believe them, Raiden just doesn't need to be in the game. Nor do many of the other old characters. What the game needed was a fresh story -- completely new characters, new motives, new themes -- Snake trying to stay alive, sure, and being contracted to take down Ocelot, sure, but a plot that's not a soap opera. The game got bogged down in semantics about the future of technology and the military and corporations, and whole bunch of other things Kojima just doesn't understand and is in no position to comment on. Those concerns are old and uninteresting.

Snake dying would have been a better ending, a more resonant ending. But not lying about Snake's condition throughout the game would have helped. Not relying on one massive deus ex machina would have helped. I am unable to present you with a storyline (if that's what you're looking for) because the cast of characters is so paper thin and pathetic that molding them would only see them disintegrate in my hands, as they did in the hands of this game's writers. For me, the franchise should have ended at Metal Gear Solid 2. That was a fine, interesting ending with more of an impact than Kojima intended. Metal Gear Solid 3 was already too far a stretch, with a story that was pointless and broken from the outset.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Quacktastic

Trying to pick apart it's graphics by comparing it to Uncharted is kind of foolish.  In 2008 it was easily one of the best looking console games.  It didn't look like Uncharted because Kojima Producitons isn't Naughty Dog.  That's not a negative because no one are as talented as ND is at building PS3 games. 

My save file says I beat MGS4 11 times.  I played through the game in every style and did 2 big boss runs on extreme.  In all MGS games it's easier to just run past the guards and trigger the next area or just shoot your way through, stealth was always the more difficult and more rewarding way to play. The only difference was that in this game the controls for shooting are much better than they ever were.  That and Drebin made ammo very accessible for people who just wanted to shoot - I don't see anything wrong with that.  I rarely used it.

I agree with you on a lot of points and there are things I don't like about it, like:  Installs at every act with no full install,  Konami IDs, Quality of the on-line game and after a few plays Act 3 gets really old.  Sure, it has a goofy story but going in knowing it's an MGS game - faulting the story for weirdness is kind of strange if you are used to the series.  You say you like 2 the most, which I would say is a much bigger offender in 'What?' storytelling.

And even with all my complaints: 11 times.  It's a really good game.  Playing it is fun.  I can't think of the last game I tried so many different runs with.  I think it's just as good as I think it is and I had so much more fun with this game than MGS2.

Oh, and the in-game ipod was awesome.  What a cool way to do collectibles, where most games are either dull or 'me too'.  You find songs from the game and previous games from the developer.  The ipod was just a way to access some of the stuff you were collecting across your playthoughs.  Almost no PS3 games at the time has custom soundtracks and I don't think that takes away from a cool feature.

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZanzibarBreeze:  

Nah, I'm not looking for full storyline, I'm just curious about your thoughts on how MGS4 could have been better.  I don't think it would have been a good story for the series if it ended in MGS2.  I also liked MGS2, but it was actually the peak of the series that made MGS's story to be bigger than what was expected.  It ended revealing about the patriots and the government involved in the events of the story; so, if it ended there, there wouldn't be any resolution to the bigger conflict.  People will just ask who are these patriots?  What the hell will happen to the world now?  What will happen to Snake, to Meryl, to Raiden, to the Colonel, to Ocelot, to Otacon, etc.?  And you really do have to consider that people also demanded this sequel from Kojima.  Yeah, he's not a really good storyteller, a failed novelist, but he still succeeded in telling a story relating the conflicts of the previous games and giving a proper end to the characters in the series.  Remember, MGS4 is an end to the series.  It was important for Kojima to give what the fans wanted, for the game to be reminiscent of the past games and that included involving the old characters in the game.  If you just put Snake in the game with new characters then people will just say, "I wish Naomi was there, she was a great character!" or "I wish Otacon would have helped Snake again" or "Whatever happened to Meryl? Did she die?".  MGS4 may not have the best story out there, but it is admirable to actually make a sensible story for a complex concept and to see an end not just for Snake, but for the other characters of the series as well, old ones and new ones. 

I think what people actually appreciate that MGS4 is one of the best out there is that aside from the game being a technical improvement from the previous ones in the series, it did successfully tell a decent end to the characters that the fans cared about in the previous games. 

About Snake dying, that was the point being implied throughout the whole game, he'll eventually kill himself.  But as I see it, it also doesn't gratifyingly resolve anything for Snake, and that being implied the whole game, then there's no twist, you were already expecting it.  (I was actually convinced that by the end of the game, he'll just kill himself hehe!)  So he sacrifices himself to save the world, isn't that already used up too much in movies and other games?  It's always about the character dying in the end, he becomes a hero.  He is already a hero, but he doesn't want to become one.  But it was also weird that suddenly Big Boss shows up with Col. Zero.   Well I have to admit, I found that to be kind of awkward and forced, but hey, people always like a good father-son reunion end right?  lol!  Anyway, I liked how it ended for Snake, he didn't have to die.  He'll die eventually since he ages fast, but it's good to know that he gets to live feeling resolved even for a short time.  I just found the game to have a successful end for the series.  It made people happy coz they got to see their favorite characters in the series (considering a lot hated Raiden in MGS2, but he was redeemed as one of the favorites in MGS4), most of the conflicts were resolved and yes there were plot holes, but fans didn't care coz they just wanted to see how it ends for the main conflict about the patriots and for the characters of the series. :)
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @lilbigsupermario said:
    " I don't think it would have been a good story for the series if it ended in MGS2.  I also liked MGS2, but it was actually the peak of the series that made MGS's story to be bigger than what was expected.  It ended revealing about the patriots and the government involved in the events of the story; so, if it ended there, there wouldn't be any resolution to the bigger conflict.  People will just ask who are these patriots?  What the hell will happen to the world now?  What will happen to Snake, to Meryl, to Raiden, to the Colonel, to Ocelot, to Otacon, etc.? "
    I think this is where you and I disagree, because at this point in time I'm growing increasingly more dissatisfied with storytelling that tailors to the consumer (be that the reader, the viewer, or the player). For example, a lot of Hollywood films have the characters constantly repeating dialogue so that the producers can be sure the audience knows what's happening -- the same with television. Case in point the television show 24, which has characters summarizing what's about to happen every five minutes.

That's why I feel that the franchise would have been better served with termination at Metal Gear Solid 2, specifically because those questions shouldn't have been answered. Let the player decide what the story meant. One guy wrote a giant essay about Metal Gear Solid 2. You see what happened when Kojima tried to answer those questions you brought up -- who are the Patriots, et cetera. He failed. The explanation given for the Patriots was asinine. So, we disagree, but I'm glad you found something to enjoy in Guns of the Patriots.
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZanzibarBreeze:  

Yeah, I guess it's just really a personal preference for me to like MGS4.  I do respect your opinion though and I'm glad to see your side about MGS4, you do have great points about how you perceive MGS4 as "not as great" as others claim it to be. :)

I also clicked the link you provided, and what the hell, that really is a giant essay about MGS2. LOL!  I haven't read it but it seems like it's a very deep and detailed analysis of the game. :P
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @lilbigsupermario: Also, making it classic Metal Gear style may have helped. :)

No Caption Provided
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZanzibarBreeze said:
    " @lilbigsupermario: Also, making it classic Metal Gear style may have helped. :)

No Caption Provided
    "
    LOL!
    mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By mxdirector
    @ZanzibarBreeze said:
     though certainly not as big as the gaping plot hole in Metal Gear Solid 3's story which renders that entire game irrelevant. 
    what plot hole was that? i remember mgs1 having a major plot hole, but I can't remember mgs3's one.  

@lilbigsupermario said:
      People will just ask who are these patriots?  What the hell will happen to the world now?  What will happen to Snake, to Meryl, to Raiden, to the Colonel, to Ocelot, to Otacon, etc.?  And you really do have to consider that people also demanded this sequel from Kojima. 
     I don't understand your point? "people would of asked this and that" so what?  
    the lure of knowing the truth is a interesting one, but the fact is that the mystery is all the more interesting then the answer in the vast majority of cases. Some things not only do not require a answer but demand it, magic being a prime example. Knowing how a magic trick is done detracts from the magic itself. 
    To apply that to mgs, wondering who vamp is is more interesting then finding out Naomi injected in with nanomachines. Yes, we want a statisfactory answer but the sad truth is most answers can not live up to our expectations.  

as for what i would of done with the story 
    1- attempt to make snake the favorite. after mgs3 big boss quickly became mgs fans favourite character. This is simply wrong, and shouldn't be the case. So mgs4 should of made it clear that solid snake is number one. Sadly big boss being the best was only further backed by making the final scene being his death. This wasnt solid snakes farewell this was big boss's farewell. 
    2- I would of made snake the hero of the game. Guess what ocelot and naomi (and even sunny and otacon) had more too do with saving the world then snake. all snake did was crawl down some tunnel, he didn't even upload the virus. Even worse is the fact that he didn't need to crawl down that tunnel. there was no reason for snake to even be there, the number of more logical possibilities for uploading the virus are countless.  
    3-  yes i can see the need of some characters returning, raiden could of had a place in the finale although in this he was wasted. drebin what was the point of him? meryl? campbell, rose, johnny sasaki, and mei ling thrown in at the end. mgs1 and mgs3 are considered the best, and for the most part they have completely original characters. Obviously you do not need to depend on returning characters too make a good story, infact it detracts from it by making the world seem small and insignificant. by having naomi return and putting such a emphasise on otacon you paint the picture that there are two scientists in this universe, which is e=mc retarded. 
     4- liquid ocelot was stupid in the first place. so why run with that? out of all the retcons done in mgs4, why didn't they alter that. just have either liquid taking complete control, or ocelot cutting off the arm and removing him. why was liquid even in this game. mgs2 and mgs3 did fine with out him and infact delivered much more interesting villains. solidus had questionable methods but commendable morals. mgs3 had volgin who really was a evil bastard, he wasn't some run of the mill villain, you knew that this guy was one big ass crazy sadistic man, who would rape your nostrils if given the chance. mgs4's villian was, ocelot, no it was liquid. but liquid never was there in the first place. who the hell was the villain. was i meant to hate ocelot? was i meant to hate liquid, if so why? were the patriots the villians? because they seemed like they werent doing anything the whole game. why was liquid the villain, because.......?

forgot how bad mgs4 was until i wrote that. 
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mxdirector said:

@lilbigsupermario said:

People will just ask who are these patriots?  What the hell will happen to the world now?  What will happen to Snake, to Meryl, to Raiden, to the Colonel, to Ocelot, to Otacon, etc.?  And you really do have to consider that people also demanded this sequel from Kojima. 
     I don't understand your point? "people would of asked this and that" so what?  the lure of knowing the truth is a interesting one, but the fact is that the mystery is all the more interesting then the answer in the vast majority of cases. Some things not only do not require a answer but demand it, magic being a prime example. Knowing how a magic trick is done detracts from the magic itself. To apply that to mgs, wondering who vamp is is more interesting then finding out Naomi injected in with nanomachines. Yes, we want a statisfactory answer but the sad truth is most answers can not live up to our expectations.

I understand your point.  Mystery does make a story more interesting because people are left to imagine with their interpretations.  I was actually satisfied with MGS2, I was just pointing out that with the storyline, there could be more.  And from the standpoint of Kojima and Konami, people demanding a sequel for MGS was a good opportunity to milk the franchise. 

I didn't write that comment to glorify MGS4.  The series could have truly ended in MGS2.  In my point of view, I just appreciate MGS4 for being that story to connect the dots in the series.  It's not the best story, I agree, but it's not really that bad.  I appreciate how it connected the series as a whole and it still succeeded in telling an ending story for MGS.  So is the ending satisfying?  In my opinion, yes, because basically, my questions were answered in a story deep enough to make sense.
    mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By mxdirector
    @lilbigsupermario:   "i n my point of view, I just appreciate MGS4 for being that story to connect the dots in the series.   " 
    so as long as it connects the dots regardless of how bad it does them, then that means its a successful plot? no, not at all.  

"   So is the ending satisfying?  In my opinion, yes, because basically, my questions were answered in a story deep enough to make sense." 
    really baffled by that statement. making sense and being intellectually satisfying are two completely different things.  
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mxdirector said:
    " @lilbigsupermario:   "i n my point of view, I just appreciate MGS4 for being that story to connect the dots in the series.   " so as long as it connects the dots regardless of how bad it does them, then that means its a successful plot? no, not at all.    "   So is the ending satisfying?  In my opinion, yes, because basically, my questions were answered in a story deep enough to make sense." really baffled by that statement. making sense and being intellectually satisfying are two completely different things.   "
    Wow talk about really arguing your point... 

I didn't say MGS4 showed the best way to connect the dots, as I have always said, it's not the best.  It just means it could be better.  But I appreciate the game for just simply, connecting the dots that still made sense.  Were the ideas for connecting the series really that bad?  IN MY OPINION, it wasn't really that bad.  Again, I am not glorifying MGS4, I'm just stating that I found the game to be not as bad as others see it.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#174  Edited By I_smell

MGS2 is TOTALLY the best one.

Also you are talking shite. You wrote like 3 paragraphs on textures, right after saying a PS2 game was in your top 5.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @I_smell: Do you have something against PlayStation 2 games? By your astonishing metric, all NES games must be the worst of all time.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By I_smell
    @ZanzibarBreeze:  No; I'm saying you went crazy in-depth bashing this game's technical statistics while sayin you looked passed all that in the old ones.

And I just said MGS2's my favourite one you stupid fuck. Did you even read that or did you just pick out key words and write a fuckin smarmy-ass comeback? Jeez.
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @I_smell said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze:  No; I'm saying you went crazy in-depth bashing this game's technical statistics while sayin you looked passed all that in the old ones.

And I just said MGS2's my favourite one you stupid fuck. Did you even read that or did you just pick out key words and write a fuckin smarmy-ass comeback? Jeez. "

What I said was entirely justified. You said I was "talking shite" because I "wrote like 3 paragraphs on textures, right after saying a PS2 game was in your top 5", which I interpreted, correctly I believe, as a statement in favor of ranking games according to their graphical fidelity. I'm sorry if my interpretation was incorrect, but as you can see, your sentence structure meant that your statement could justly be interpreted as I read it.

Your response was wholly unwarranted. Have you nothing better to do than be behave utterly reprehensibly and be rude, and be obnoxious, and be a jerk towards others?
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By ch13696

Someone should've played this when it was released back in 2008. Guess what? Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Crysis, and other games released between 2005 and 2008 were good during that time, but compare to games now. Yeah, they're gonna suck. Of course the script is gonna be bad to you. If you're the kind of person that's into corporate philanthropy and government scandals then you would understand it and like it.

Homer39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#179  Edited By Homer39

sounds like someone has too much time on their hands... jk, everyone knows MGS3 is the best in the series

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#180  Edited By nickux

There's so much here I don't feel like it would be good to list off a huge rebuttal on every single point. That's not constructive. I would, however, like to (respectfully) offer  some counter-points. First off, kudos on a well-written and thought-out post. While I don't share your view that it is not a good game, I still can appreciate the effort put into writing this. I did take issue with a few of your notes. I found it a little hypocritical that you complained the Drebin store breaks the game (a point, by the way, I wholeheartedly agree with!!) but then complain you can't buy chaff grenades in there. I see your point, in a way, but it's kind of funny to be against the idea of being able to use the Drebin store and then complain you can't use it when it's most convenient for you. I get what you're saying but I felt those points sent a mixed message.  

I do agree that sometimes the best thing for an artist is some degree of limitation. If left unchecked, Kojima's visions have the potential to exceed their means. However, I still cherish MGS4 and I think it did things no other video game has done before or since. There are issues but things such as the texture on a tree or a character model's mustache don't bother me. I don't, however, think it would have been better if it were multiplatform simply because it's unfair from an artistic standpoint to expect Kojima to change his vision because you don't like the choices he made regarding cut scenes, etc. This is, of course, all a manner of opinion and perspective. Kojima set out to make the game which best illustrated his vision- not to cater to any one specific member of his audience. My point is that I think having the 50GB capacity allowed him to make the game he wanted and, in the end, that's what's more important to me- that Kojima be left to see ideas to their utmost potential without being hindered by technical limitations. I said before I think many artists thrive on limitations but I am speaking more of self-editing and other fixtures of the creative process other than something like, say, how many bits can fit on a disc.  

Overall though, I appreciate this post even if I don't agree with it. Keep this kind of stuff going it's fun to read. 

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#181  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

I gotta say, first of all, that just about everything you wrote in your opening mirrors my feelings for the game and the series. I don't know if I would call MGS2 my favorite out of them all (for me it would either be 1 or 3), but it's definitely the one I spent the most time with (both versions) and the one that truly opened my eyes to the series. 

I also agree with A LOT of the points against MGS4, but it comes off as very nitpicky. Then again, I don't know if there's any nice way to come down on something :) 
    One thing I wanted to bring up was  about your first point about the installs. Maybe this was brought up already, but I would hardly call the install process "game design" as it really has nothing to do with the gameplay. And I think the comparison to Uncharted is a bit unfair. It's like comparing the performance of a Bugatti supercar to a Geo Metro; they're opposite ends of the spectrum. Many PS3 games force an initial install. I would even guess that the majority of games do so, but yes, MGS4 is definitely the worst offender. 

Anyway, thats the only nit I'll allow myself to pick out of your blog, but I did want to add something that I was surprised you didn't bring up. 

Japanese mo-cap actors. 

It seems to me that, at least in this game, they tend to over-act. Naomi and Otacon stand out to me as the worst offenders. Too many wild gesticulations and unnecessary  movements came out as looking very bizarre and unnatural in the cutscenes. Coupling that with the American voice acting gave it that "I'm watching anime" feel that people (and myself) to attribute to the game.  

Love all the passion you channeled to write this all out, even though (as others have said) I don't completely agree. 
    I'm just glad I'm not alone in the "dislike" for this game

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#182  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Hi, I have a few more things to say since i'm saying it in another thread. I find the stealth gameplay to be unrealistic because first of all, if you use a real gun, it will create an alert or get them in caution mode. Now your life is more difficult, which they are saying, well you can't use a real gun in certain levels. Second of all, there are alot of ppl who are crawling around an entire level using traquiler darts. First of all, someone like sam fisher wouldn't be caught dead using traquilers, or crawling on the ground an entire level. In real life, even with the octacamo, you will be caught. I felt mgs3 did it right with the camoflauge where you can selected and kojima ran out of ideas and implemented a suit that does all this for you. Why not just use stealth camoflauge like in the first game?

With these gameplay decisions, your are left with three options, use stealth with a fake unrealistic traquiler gun the entire level. Or two, using a real gun, shoot ppl in the head, run to the next checkpoint without being spotted, or three a combination of both. Something like chaos theory is more realistic, they don't crawl and use traquilers. In fact is it even possible to play this game using a real gun that's loud without getting an alert? I say is the stealth design really as realistic as splinter cell games or is it just a fictional style of stealth kojima created?  

There are no spies like this in real life, they are alot more like sam fisher rather than snake, they go in darkness, then extract quickly, or at least have a small team of special forces. Also can you really use a traquiler dart in real life if you want to keep quiet? They really need to fire their military advisor because alot of these ideas are very fictional, that's why i'm having a hard time buying into this. That scene where he cqc's everyone, I am trained in krav maga, the same thing as sam fisher since his fighting skills are used in real life. What I have been seeing is alot of martial art moves by snake that will never work in real life for the cutscenes, I find it sort of disturbing. There seems to be a lack of realism from the real world.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really interesting article. Well formatted and put together. Saying this from never playing a MGS game. I found it an good read. Nice to see some convey like or dislike in more than just fanboys spit.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Um...okay? MGS4 is a great game...but as I have said before it could have been A TONNNNNNN better. And a ton of your points are just opinions as well. Like all 4 MGS games...there are a ton of things wrong or bad about them...MGS4 just had the most hype and the most potential so that is a big reason why it fell short.  

And Act 3 is fun for me, it's open and has plenty to discover like Act 1 and 2, just in a relaxed environment. Obviously it isn't as fruitful as Act 1 or 2 or as action packed but I still found some cool stuff, like the mini Irvings in the trench coat stalking you. And all of the stuff taken from other MGS games is fine, they were fun then and they were fun in MGS4. Act 4 was great the first time through and that's about it. Act 5 I expected to be something like the Big Shell, all open and explorable like the first two acts but no, it was totally linear. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#185  Edited By Yummylee

Fuckin' legendary write up, man. I and whole heartedly agree with most of what you said. Though I do think the graphics are still really good and with Snake and Otacon being interesting characters. Ocelot, though, really did so freakin convoluted and messy that he was just a joke villain. Raiden was a whiny emo now. I'm one of the few who very much prefers him in MGS2. Act 3 really is just simply boring, and oh yes... the game has far too many long winded cutscenes, even by MGS standards and not enough gameplay. Stealth was pointless, especially the MKII. M4 is the only weapon you need. 

The game did have semblances of replay value just because of all the easter eggs you may miss, and convos to have via CODEC. Oh and also...only one Codec contact minus Rose who was there just to have her boobs wiggled by the sixaxis.

MGS2 isn't my favourite but I do agree to it being better than MGS4. MGS3, though, is my all time favourite MGS. It's MGS4 just with better....everything.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By EVO
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "I find the stealth gameplay to be unrealistic"
    Metal Gear Solid has never tried to be realistic.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @EVO: sure they have with mgs1 (no tranquiler) and mgs3 (lesser reliance on technology) besides the bosses. It's the other two that has no basis in reality. 

We have a real world, we have realistic stealth tactics. We don't have electric knives as some sort of tazer, using barrels to hide and knock ppl out rolling it, fake octacamo which they can stills spot you on the ground if you are bumping out of a wall or ground, fake martial arts that doesn't even work in a million years, fake traquiler pistols, fake tactics, ect. Well if I want realism, I go back to playing splinter cell games, if I want boss battles and fictional gameplay, i'll go play mgs4.  

I have all the respect in the world for mgs1 and mgs3 subsistence, it's about perfect to me. I think realistically in terms of tactics, so I might not be so immersed with mgs4.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Djeffers03

Im not gonna lie, Im not reading all that. My complaints about the game are that, as you said, it's not really a stealth game. I ended up in gun fights on pretty much every encouter with an NPC and said gun fights weren't very fun. Also as a noob to the series a hadn't a clue what was going on for most of the time.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#189  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

I appreciate what you're trying to say, but the fact that you keep telling the reader that they're wrong rather than just giving your opinion is an absolutely horrible way of getting your point across.

Also editing that down would be handy, way too unwieldy. You should be able to make your point in a more precise manner in my opinion.

I'm not trying to trash your article though, I enjoyed reading it. I really enjoyed MGS4 so its interesting to hear what people don't like about it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By HitmanAgent47

According to torrents with all cutscenes, there is about 10 hours worth of cutscenes for the game.  

Also to other mgs4 fans, I bet they didn't know because they watch every cutscene. Kojima actually counts that extra 10 hours to you cleartime, so you think you are playing a 16 hour game. Did you ppl know that? I'm probally the only one on the forum who skipped every cutscene. I think that's dishonest and total deception. They should of only count gameplay, not cutscenes. Why would I skip cutscenes? Well it's my second playthrough, I didn't want to watch them again because there are way too much and I care more about the gameplay than the story unlike I alot of ppl. I saw a mgs game that is light on content for the gameplay.

Now back to your point, I bet if I were to download every cutscene and edit them myself, at least on a semi professional level, I can bring down the cutscenes to 6 hours. It can be more precise and not editing your cutscenes trying to keep every irrelevent frame is like a hollywood movie that's not edited. The perfect length of cutscenes is mgs1 and mgs3. There were too many cutscenes for mgs2, they toned it down and it still worked and even better. It was the right amount, except the ending had alot more cutscenes.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#191  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @HitmanAgent47: I beat it in 25 hours. 25-10=15. Reasonable for a game I think.

Besides, part of the MGS game IS watching the cutscenes. I don't see what's so shocking about there being 10 hours of cutscenes, what else did you expect?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @SpiralStairs: Look I can slow run a game too and make it triple of the playtime too, it doesn't mean that it's the most efficient way. Considering someone finished it in 1 hour 39 minutes with a speed run, with your objectives, no alerts. That's more effiecient than you when you think about it since you can apply more effective tactics learned from the speed run.

Also just because I finished it at 5 hours and 50 minutes, let's round it off by another 30 more minutes to my playtime so there is no rush or anything. That's still like 6 hours and 20 minutes of gameplay. You can slow run oblivion for example if you want to uneffienctly play it to 200 hours instead of a 100, however that doesn't reflect the reality of the game, rather it's you imposing other restrictions to the way you play the game. It's a stealth action game and not really realistic stealth imo.  

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By borodin
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "  It's a stealth action game and not really realistic stealth imo.    "
    I don't think that's a huge revelation to anyone except apparently you? I mean do you feel like they've misrepresented the game as a realistic stealth game? What's the problem?
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By yakov456

That was a lot of work just for me to say, I disagree.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @borodin: what mgs1 and mgs3 didn't have a sense of realism? They do, i'll tell you why, you don't get traquilers in mgs1. You actually had to fight with real guns. In mgs3 you don't get your radar thing, you have these stupid things as radars which forces you to think more tactically. All technology is back to basics which makes the game slightly more realistic, besides the glorified boss battle. Mgs games has potential for more realism. Add a tranquiler, and a octacamo, you take away any sense of realism. If it were up to me, i'll just reduce the radar or take it away completely, take away the tranquilzer and octacamo and any stealth camoflauge. I will also hire a hollywood editor and reduce the time on the cutscenes yet still creating the same effect. Now kojima's unrealistic formula wouldn't work.
    Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Olivaw

I agree on most points but disagree on some others.

Mostly the story.

I enjoyed how stupid and long-winded and vacuous it was! Metal Gear Solid has gone so far up it's own ass that it literally started eating itself and the result is a game so utterly insane and unique that I can't help but enjoy most of it.

Except that stupid fucking final cutscene god damn it.

Also the gameplay was okay but you never got to play it and the gun customization was nice but totally didn't matter because you could go through the entire game easily using only the M1A1, but other than that totally fine game.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#197  Edited By dbz1995

It's interesting, because I pretty much agree with everything you just said...but I love the game. Maybe I love the game the same reason other people love Deadly Premonition? Because we are insane?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#198  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

And I just have to say, I fucking STOPPED reading when you fucking complained that his FUCKING MUSTACHE DOESN'T MOVE. Everything before that was a bit too blown out of proportions, but I totally respect all of those complaints. They are issues, even if they don't fucking matter for the actual enjoyment of the game unless your impatient as all hell. Which, if your playing MGS4, is a very bad thing for you to be. 

BUT WHAT THE FUCK. Do you have ANY idea how a mustache behaves? Clearly not. At his age, with a mustache that short, its not going to fucking WAVE AROUND IN THE WIND. 

I am NOT reading the rest of this. If your going to honestly make a big deal out of that, your can just go stfu. I respect you for being hard on games, I do the same, and maybe if you comb through here and remove all of the batshit complaints (and btw, your not allowed to complain about the MGS plots. Their fucking insane, and its SUPPOSED to be like that), I could respect this a lot more. But you complain about normal ass things, and even some of the strengths of the game. How many games have you seen with better hair than MGS?? At least it moves and doesn't look like something carved of wood like a Bioware game or Bioshock might have.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By borodin
    @HitmanAgent47: I don't think I can agree with you because there's just no way MGS 1 is a more realistic (and I'm not saying 4 *is* realistic) stealth game than 4.  

Firstly, I don't agree at all that you can't use 'real' guns in 4. If you fire an unsilenced weapon  (not to mention the fact that, hey, you can put silencers on a *lot* of those guns and go killing to your hearts content) and nobody is around to hear it, other than the guy catching a bullet in the head, you don't set off an alarm. If two guys are there but you kill them before they can make a radio call, no alarm. There is no "use anything other than the tranquilliser = alarm" happening in that game. 

Secondly, MGS 1, I'm pretty sure I could just load a new area, turn around, load the old area, and hey look the alarm is over. How is that realistic in any way? If you're saying that the mere existence of a gun that puts people to sleep automatically makes it a less realistic stealth game than a game that doesn't have that, irrespective of other factors, then whatever, you have very specific views on stealth games that I don't think a lot of people share. 

Also I'd point out that you say you like the stealth system in 3, but hate it in 4 - but, it's basically the exact same system except it automatically picks the best camo for you (and you can actually override that if you really want, it can work exactly like it does in 3 if thats how you want it to work). And given that picking the best camo in 3 was just a matter of picking the highest number from a list, I'm really failing to see what the mind-blowing difference there is that makes you hate one but love the other. 
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By RE_Player1

Thanks but I don't like people telling me how I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.