Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Game » consists of 60 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

A compilation of several remastered Metal Gear titles: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, plus hundreds of VR missions and both classic MSX2 Metal Gear games.

European Extreme button mashing sequences? *MGS2 end spoilers*

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

OK, so back in 2002 I first played MGS2: Substance on the Xbox. I fell in love with the game and played it over and over. Once I unlocked European Extrreme mode, I played it through and by then I was so familiar with everything that I had made it through until the very, very end. I actually think it's one of the last things you do in the game. When you're fighting Solidus in that white room with the hexagons, and Olga is killed, and then Solidus grabs you with a tentacle and you have to button mash A. 

W. T. F. 

For years I tried and tried this part with no luck and then eventually sold my Xbox (not because of that, just so I could get a 360). I was so pissed at this game for hindering me at a damn button mashing sequence. I had the skill to play through the entire game on EE difficulty, then I get to this part and can't beat it because it's almost impossible for me to make my fingers/hands/ANYTHING on my body go that fast. It's not even about skill, it's about how fast you can spaz out. 

I'm tempted to get this just so I can say I finally finished EE of MGS2. I did it in MGS3 and MGS4 (which were actually a lot easier than MGS2). Has anyone run into this problem before or now with the HD collection?

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Stahlbrand

I haven't picked up the HD collection yet (but I'm considering it, which is why I'm reading the forums) but I can sympathize with your issue - I am not a great rapid tapper myself, and I hate it when game progress is gated by "mash this button" scenarios with demanding speed expectations.

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BleedingStarX

I never recall having that problem, unfortunately I'm in the UK and the HD collection isnt out here yet :( definitely a day one pick up for me.

I legitimately can't think of any games I want this year except MGS HD and SSX

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By lego_my_eggo

I remember having to beat the torture sequence in MGS1 when my brother played it on one of the harder difficulties. He wanted to save Meryl so we couldn't just give during the torture. I think that took us a few days worth of playing just that sequence, passing the controller back and forth trying to find different techniques to press a single button. We eventually settled on him doing all but the last torture, and me finishing the last one because i was a little faster. After that whenever i choose a difficulty level in a MGS game i always think about the inevitable torture sequence and just play it on normal, cuz fuck that shit.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By minotaka

Oh mate, that was HARD on the PS2. I remember I had to use a pen and run it side to side as fast as I could... only just worked. Not looking forward to wrecking my 360 controller :((((

McHampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By McHampton

They shortened the shit out of it on the HD Collection, maybe one tenth of the time spent mashing as on the original. I was pleasantly surprised.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By M_Shini

I totally remember this part on extreme and i had the same difficulty's as you, this part took me days to work up the right finger speed, had to end up tensing my hand up so it would shake while i hovered my finger over the button, properly wasnt very good for me but i managed it after many Many trys easily the hardest part of MGS Extreme Mode. A side note is the MGS2 version in the HD release include the Substance expansion thing and subsistence for MGS3 with all the extras or no.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Elazul

I've never played MGS2 on European Extreme before, but I find that the key to good button mashing is to quickly tense and relax your forearm muscles, NOT your fingers or wrist. I've been doing this for as long as I can remember and have never had any problems with button mashing sequences in any game.

Hope that helps.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yeah the button mashing parts are insanely hard to do on extreme.....probably the hardest button mashing sequence of all time.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By kashif1

Its Kojima trolling you, he does that.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy

@Elazul said:

I've never played MGS2 on European Extreme before, but I find that the key to good button mashing is to quickly tense and relax your forearm muscles, NOT your fingers or wrist. I've been doing this for as long as I can remember and have never had any problems with button mashing sequences in any game.

Hope that helps.

So do you mean like.. almost tense your bicep/elbow area? I can't picture what you're saying in my head...

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @KittyMeggerz said:

I totally remember this part on extreme and i had the same difficulty's as you, this part took me days to work up the right finger speed, had to end up tensing my hand up so it would shake while i hovered my finger over the button, properly wasnt very good for me but i managed it after many Many trys easily the hardest part of MGS Extreme Mode. A side note is the MGS2 version in the HD release include the Substance expansion thing and subsistence for MGS3 with all the extras or no.

I was curious.  When you get caught in European extreme do you have to start at the very beginning of the game again or is it just your last save?
    M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By M_Shini

@Sackmanjones said:

@KittyMeggerz said:

I was curious. When you get caught in European extreme do you have to start at the very beginning of the game again or is it just your last save?

You just start at the last check point, or at the beginning of the room you just entered.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @KittyMeggerz said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@KittyMeggerz said:

I was curious. When you get caught in European extreme do you have to start at the very beginning of the game again or is it just your last save?

You just start at the last check point, or at the beginning of the room you just entered.

ok good.  I thought it was like just game over but now that I know it isn't I may give it a whirl!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.