Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Game » consists of 60 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

A compilation of several remastered Metal Gear titles: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, plus hundreds of VR missions and both classic MSX2 Metal Gear games.

MGS Controls

FishieBuddha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By FishieBuddha

So I'm waiting for the Quick Look to show up and it's not coming.

Are the versions on the disc exactly the same control-wise? No updated controls?

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BrickRoad

I believe Peace Walker now uses the second analogue stick, MGS 3 is Subsistence, MGS 2 is Substance and the original MG games are the touched up versions from MGS3S.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LaserLambert

the O button swapped function with X on the older games. so X is yes and O is no.

Vickeknicke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vickeknicke

Is it still possible to control Snake with the D-pad? You could use either the D-pad or the analog stick in MGS2 but this feature was removed in MGS3.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#5  Edited By MightyDuck

I'm playing through ,ga 2 in the collection now. Almost positive the dpad is an option for movement. The X for yes was also a nice change as well.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MightyDuck

Make that MGS 2

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Hizang

@LaserLambert said:

the O button swapped function with X on the older games. so X is yes and O is no.

That is one of the worst things they could have done, its what made MGS special..

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By probablytuna

@Vickeknicke said:

Is it still possible to control Snake with the D-pad? You could use either the D-pad or the analog stick in MGS2 but this feature was removed in MGS3.

I'm pretty sure it was in MGS3 but it was used in a different way. The D-Pad control movements are slower and more quiet for sneaking up on enemies. At least that's what happened on the Subsistence version.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MightyDuck

@Hizang: I'll give it to you that it made it special. If they had kept it the same I think it would have been a nice subtle nod to the original games, but all in all, I'm alright with the change.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@probablytuna said:

@Vickeknicke said:

I'm pretty sure it was in MGS3 but it was used in a different way. The D-Pad control movements are slower and more quiet for sneaking up on enemies. At least that's what happened on the Subsistence version.

This is indeed how the HD Collection plays, for MGS3 anyhow.

BatmanReturned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BatmanReturned

The O and X swap was nice and the long gap between the last time I played any of them made it natural. The only thing I really wish they would have done was take the revamped camera from Subsistence and implement it into MGS2. It wouldn't have been very hard to do I would imagine. And god it really needs it. That is the one thing that really dates 2 and makes it both archaic and unnecessarily difficult a lot of times.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By sickVisionz

@BatmanReturned: I agree 100% about the camera. I wanted to play all of the games but that camera was game breakingly bad so I quit playing two and went straight to three.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cikame

Playing MGS2 now on 360, the triggers threw me off to begin with cus i'm used to the ps2 L2 R2 but i've gotten used to it, clicking in the stick to stop aiming is a brilliant addition and much prefered over releasing the square buttons slowly.

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kandycane2029

@cikame said:

Playing MGS2 now on 360, the triggers threw me off to begin with cus i'm used to the ps2 L2 R2 but i've gotten used to it, clicking in the stick to stop aiming is a brilliant addition and much prefered over releasing the square buttons slowly.

I preferred the pressure sensitive controls. But it doesn't bother me as much because I always do stealth runs using only the Mk22. I never seem to enjoy straight up killing enemies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.