Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Apr 29, 2010

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is the latest portable entry in the Metal Gear franchise, and the second canonical Metal Gear title produced for the PSP. Set in Costa Rica, Peace Walker puts you in control of Big Boss once again as he prepares the rise of Outer Heaven.

MGS: Peace Walker Help Thread

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Azurath

I love MGS a whooooole lot, MGS 3 is probably my favorite game of all time.

I decided to pick up Peace Walker during a sale a few months ago, after hearing it was considered, lore wise, a main installment in the series. I played through the first mission, and loved it, but then came a problem. I don't like the whole base management part of the game.

I redownloaded the title this morning, and want to give it another shot, but I was wondering if someone could run down how important a role the base part plays in the game. Is it moreso optional, because from what I've seen of it, it sort of looks that way.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played the game just auto-assigning everyone until my R&D was filled up, then I did a little management. But basically it seems like you want to get people for the Combat Team to increase your GMP and good people for your R&D Team (oh and keep your food over a 100% I think) so you can research more stuff. I didn't like it either at the start, but in the end I thought it was pretty cool and it doesn't require too much management.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

As far as I remember, you just have to catch all the good dudes and assign them whatever they're best at. I think there's an item that tells you people's ranks.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Zleunamme

Do the Main OPS first then Extra OPS later. When you get access to Mother Base. The game does offer a tutorial on how to assign jobs to personnel under Staff. There is also a tutorial on how to use the R&D section to develop weapons and other technology that will help you in the game. Go to Mission Selection. After selecting a mission, in Mission Details. Go the bottom and select Briefing Files. They are audio recordings of Miller talking to Snake about the missions and things related to Mother Base.

The more you play, the better soldiers you can recruit. Better weapons to build. Soldiers specialize in certain skills and should be assigned to teams that suit their talents. Engineers to R&D team. Cooks to the Mess Hall. Doctors to the Medical team. Spies to the Intel team. Soldiers to the Combat team. Press the Help button for more information about the menus. It seems complicated at first but just keep completing missions and you are able to build Mother Base into a badass army.

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, thanks guys. I played up to the first tank boss, and I'm really liking it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Don't wait to do the Extra OPS later. Just trust me on this as your internet friend - trade off Extra OPS and Main OPS as you go through the game. You will enjoy the variety and playing as MSF soldiers instead of Snake can be a cool feeling.

As for Base Management, go ahead and Auto Assign all day long.

You can improve your recruits by sending them on Outer OPS when you unlock it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
    deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azurath said:

Alright, thanks guys. I played up to the first tank boss, and I'm really liking it.

This is one of the reasons I just can't continue to play this game. While the tank boss is very doable (I got to that point in the game and stopped), I've heard the later bosses are just too much of a bullet sponge because of the design of the game ( to have coop for the bosses). How are you finding it though? Have you gotten to any of the later bosses?

I want to like this game because the base building sounds fun and the overall structure sounds very good, but if the bosses are broke, then I'll just have to leave it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.