Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D is an enhanced version of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the 3DS. The game was first unveiled in demo form during E3 2010 under the moniker "Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - The NAKED Sample". Snake Eater 3D takes advantage of the 3DS touch screen by using it to display HUD and menu elements, while the stereoscopic 3D top screen displays the primary action. The game can also optionally be played using the Circle Pad Pro accessory.
Snake Eater 3D makes use of the 3DS camera to create custom camouflage patterns. The game will analyze the color patterns of images taken and assign them a camo index rating as appropriate. The game also makes use of the 3DS gyroscope at certain points in which Snake must maintain his balance, such as crossing a bridge or standing on a tree branch. Some features from Peace Walker have been integrated into the game, such as over-the-shoulder aiming and crouched walking.
Changes from MGS3
- All references to the Kerotan frogs have been changed to Yoshi dolls, including a Paramedic conversation about them. The GA-KO camo that would reveal nearby Kerotans has been replaced with the Fruit camo, which performs the same function for Yoshi dolls. Clearing the game having shot all Yoshi dolls earns you the Yoshi rank.
- "I Like MGS4", "I Like MGS Peace Walker" and "I Like All Metal Gear Games" have been added as options in the opening questionnaire. Each unlocks a different camo uniform (DPM, Banana or Grenade).
- The "Guy Savage" nightmare minigame has been removed, as was the case in Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.
- The title screen has been changed to a view of one of two locations in the game, depending on the playthrough.
- The magazines in Graniny Gorki have been changed to include Nintendo Power.
- Less food can now be stored in the food section of the Survival Viewer.
- The Extreme difficulty setting now works like the European Extreme difficulty from the original game.
- Various other small tweaks to gameplay, guard numbers, cutscenes, etc.
- All extra Subsistence content, like Demo Theater, Duel Mode, the MSX2 games and Metal Gear Online have been removed, along with the Ape Escape crossover mode Snake vs. Monkey.