Check out this totally 2D video of MGS Snake Eater 3DS.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

There you go:
 http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=zHAawG5Dm5Z5aQ0GYq45A4h4l5k2TGxc

I'm still not sure what to think of the technical capabilities of the 3DS. On the one hand I am as pleased that it is much more powerful than most would have anticipated, on the other hand I liked how the limitations of the DS made for lots of really good handheld games as opposed to the dozens of home console ports or sequels on the PSP.

The 3DS looks like another port machine right now.

Like, if I wanted to play Snake Eater again, I'd want to play it at home on the TV. As cool as this might be. That is why my DS gets more use than my PSP.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 40

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Ooh man, that screen looks crisp. I wish they were DSiXL size, but if they look that nice I may not even notice. 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Sooperspy

Those graphics are amazing. Cant wait for the 3DS

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Gizmo

The graphical hardware seems to have greatly improved from the last DS. Definately at or very near to a PS2/Xbox generation level of graphical quality.

Avatar image for tripmastermunky
TripMasterMunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TripMasterMunky

I really wish it was DSi XL screen size. Seems like such a waste for that higher resolution widescreen graphics.

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fourby

I REALLY need to know when Gamestops or Best-buys are getting demo stands for these things. Like real bad.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Watching this makes me want a 3DS even more.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Relys

Wow, it looks like handheld games wont be hindered by hardware anymore (The PSP was very close, but they made some stupid decisions such as the UMD, low battery life, and lack of an second analog stick). 

Seriously there's not a single next gen game that couldn't be adapted to the PS2's hardware and still be a classic. I don't care about graphics, I care about functionality. 

Also, I don't see only one analog stick being a problem as the touchscreen suffices for 99.99% of all cases.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Damn it, I really want to see a 3DS in real life. This is the most exciting any piece of hardware has been for me since the original DS.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meowayne

I am already mad at Nintendo for releasing a sexy new iteration of the 3DS half a year after I bought the system at launch.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentJ
@Meowayne said:
" I am already mad at Nintendo for releasing a sexy new iteration of the 3DS half a year after I bought the system at launch. "
:P
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meowayne

It WILL happen. : /

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Willy105

@Meowayne

said:

" I am already mad at Nintendo for releasing a sexy new iteration of the 3DS half a year after I bought the system at launch. "

I actually think the design of the 3DS is going to change before launch.

The one shown around looks too beta-ish, not up to the form factor of previous Nintendo consoles.
Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dylabaloo

The 3DS is gonna be orgasmic.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

The screen resolution keeps the door open for smaller games. Its capable of more, yes, but smaller devs surviving on the DS will continue to do so on the 3DS.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meowayne

I actually think the design of the 3DS is going to change before launch.

The one shown around looks too beta-ish, not up to the form factor of previous Nintendo consoles.  

Maybe, maybe not. The rumor is a fall/holiday 2010 release - and they sure had a lot of these things already built. 
But even if the final design will be 100% sexier - they WILL releasy an EVEN SEXIER version in the year after the launch.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By onarum

You guys think it'll use the same storage as the DS? that is like what 256Mb max?

I hope they have something else that will allow at least 2GB of data, otherwise all that graphical power means nothing.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meowayne
@onarum said:
" You guys think it'll use the same storage as the DS? that is like what 256Mb max?  I hope they have something else that will allow at least 2GB of data, otherwise all that graphical power means nothing. "
No, 2GB am confirmed.
Halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Halberdierv2
@TripMasterMunky said:
" I really wish it was DSi XL screen size. Seems like such a waste for that higher resolution widescreen graphics. "
same, but dang, i find that a bit hard to believe thats ingame graphics.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Brendan
@Halberdierv2 said:
" @TripMasterMunky said:
" I really wish it was DSi XL screen size. Seems like such a waste for that higher resolution widescreen graphics. "
same, but dang, i find that a bit hard to believe thats ingame graphics. "

I like that it is still small.  What's kept Nintendo's handhelds on top is, on top of a great game library, portable form factor and long battery life.  Going the big screen route just puts it in more direct competition with the PSP.
misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By misterpope

Dang it looks SO GOOD 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince

Looking good. I dislike the fact that the screens are different sizes and that now DS games will be divided into 3D and regular. I am aware of the 3D slider, but I dunno. I have a strange feeling. I don't want to play my Professor Layton on that system.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Willy105
@LiquidPrince said:
" Looking good. I dislike the fact that the screens are different sizes and that now DS games will be divided into 3D and regular. I am aware of the 3D slider, but I dunno. I have a strange feeling. I don't want to play my Professor Layton on that system. "
3D and regular? What do you mean?
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By time allen

technically astounding, logically dumb. a ds is a hand held, not a console; if i wanted to play console games i would play them in front of my tv. nintendo, as well as its platform's developers, really need to start focusing on creating unique titles custom crafted for hand helds, not console ports with ham-handed controls.

kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kyelb22
@Meowayne: Actually, I heard that it's going to be released sometime next year, so that gives them plenty of time to redesign it.
ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ToadRunner

its funny, the graphics look like a psp and everyone is impressed :)

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By AndrewB
@Meowayne said:
" @onarum said:
" You guys think it'll use the same storage as the DS? that is like what 256Mb max?  I hope they have something else that will allow at least 2GB of data, otherwise all that graphical power means nothing. "
No, 2GB am confirmed. "
And larger hinted at. Given flash memory capacities, sizes, and costs, they could technically have more space at their disposal than a dual layer DVD. Realistically, I'd figure on seeing 4GB games later in the console's cycle.
tumes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tumes
@Meowayne:  I half agree. Depends on the game. In the case of MGS3, I've played it on the TV twice so I wouldn't mind playing it again in a pick up put down fashion, just cause that game is so damn good. My hope is that they hit a happy medium of creative versus porty stuff, cause right now the PSP is barely relevant except the weird original shit that comes out on it.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Emilio
@AgentJ said:
" Ooh man, that screen looks crisp. I wish they were DSiXL size, but if they look that nice I may not even notice.  "
Maybe you should just wait for the 3DS XL
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By OllyOxenFree

No Caption Provided
Blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Blair
@JJOR64 said:
" Watching this makes me want a 3DS even more. "
Tell me about it.  It looks gorgeous!
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47

wow i'm almost totally sold on it. That looks incredible.

BigChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BigChief

That looks great! I am now sold on the 3DS, because everything I hear just keeps sounding better and better.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#34  Edited By bed

holy shit o-O 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35  Edited By apathylad

I really want to try out the 3D. I'm curious how it looks like in person.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AgentJ
@Emilio said:

" @AgentJ said:

" Ooh man, that screen looks crisp. I wish they were DSiXL size, but if they look that nice I may not even notice.  "

Maybe you should just wait for the 3DS XL "
What I'll probably do is buy the original, and if they have updates, I'll wait for one that I really want. Like one with huge screeens.  
@ToadRunner said:

" its funny, the graphics look like a psp and everyone is impressed :) "

Here's a screenshot of Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker 

Here's one from the 3DS game 
Avatar image for drummerboykhari
drummerboykhari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By drummerboykhari

Lol

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince
@AgentJ: They look pretty similar. The PSP one has just been blown up a lot more. I like the shiny effect from Snake's shoulder though.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AgentJ
@LiquidPrince said:
" @AgentJ: They look pretty similar. The PSP one has just been blown up a lot more. I like the shiny effect from Snake's shoulder though. "
Considering the sizes of the screens, both are probably pretty accurate (yes, the 3DS screen isn't THAT much smaller, but you get the idea). And my biggest thing is when you look at the backgrounds, there is a massive difference. Those trees look far better than the container snake is next to. The top one has been blown up a bit, but I couldn't find two similar enough right off the bat. It is also worth noting that this is 5 years after the launch of the PSP, while the 3DS game is made for new tech and has only been worked on for a max 3 months.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince
@AgentJ: But then you have to look at it from the other way as well. 3DS is using new technology.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AgentJ
@LiquidPrince said:
" @AgentJ: But then you have to look at it from the other way as well. 3DS is using new technology. "
Right, which is why I'm saying that the gap is only going to get bigger and bigger. 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LiquidPrince
@AgentJ said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @AgentJ: But then you have to look at it from the other way as well. 3DS is using new technology. "
Right, which is why I'm saying that the gap is only going to get bigger and bigger.  "
I wonder about the 3DS screens. Was a resolution given?
TomTheRealist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TomTheRealist
@Meowayne said:
" There you go:
 http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=zHAawG5Dm5Z5aQ0GYq45A4h4l5k2TGxc  I'm still not sure what to think of the technical capabilities of the 3DS. On the one hand I am as pleased that it is much more powerful than most would have anticipated, on the other hand I liked how the limitations of the DS made for lots of really good handheld games as opposed to the dozens of home console ports or sequels on the PSP.  The 3DS looks like another port machine right now.  Like, if I wanted to play Snake Eater again, I'd want to play it at home on the TV. As cool as this might be. That is why my DS gets more use than my PSP. "

It seems no-one's picking you up on your point. I get your point, but I'm kind of not feeling you right now. the DS' limitations spawned some amazing creativity, and so has the Wii. Like, loads. I don't think Nintendo are brash with their 'porting' decisions, I get the feeling that they don't hand over the controls lightly and most of the titles announced are NEW titles for a NEW system, exclusive to the system, and if they aren't 100% original titles; they're N64 remakes that go down the BC:Rearmed route and possibly more. It's early days I know, but I get the feeling that the 3D capability and the dual screens offer enough of a huge niche that original titles are going to be flooding in, as they have been with the DS, and that 'ports' are just not made for the console. It's its own thing, with it's own unique functionality; making it hard for ports to even make it to the board room right now, as I'm sure it has been with their previous systems.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AgentJ
@LiquidPrince said:

" @AgentJ said:

" @LiquidPrince said:
Right, which is why I'm saying that the gap is only going to get bigger and bigger.  "
I wonder about the 3DS screens. Was a resolution given? "
Yes, the top one is something like 800 by 280 and the lower one isn't even close. 
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By jkz
@Brendan said:
" @Halberdierv2 said:
" @TripMasterMunky said:
same, but dang, i find that a bit hard to believe thats ingame graphics. "
I like that it is still small.  What's kept Nintendo's handhelds on top is, on top of a great game library, portable form factor and long battery life.  Going the big screen route just puts it in more direct competition with the PSP. "
I dunno. I never found the DSi XL (based on holding it in store, I don't own one) to be overly large. Given how I would use / carry the 3DS, having it be DSi XL size seems reasonable, and it would certainly make using portable systems more enjoyable for me.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LiquidPrince
@AgentJ said:
" @LiquidPrince said:

" @AgentJ said:

" @LiquidPrince said:
I wonder about the 3DS screens. Was a resolution given? "
Yes, the top one is something like 800 by 280 and the lower one isn't even close.  "
I was gonna say 1000 x 400 is a little odd. That resolution is actually still a bit odd. Also I'm hating the fact that the screens are different sizes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.