Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D is an enhanced version of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, originally released on the PS2, for the Nintendo 3DS including a new photo import camouflage feature and stereoscopic 3D support.

Metal Gear Demo Available in the E-Store

joeq1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joeq1159

I manged to spend some time with the game and I'm a little disappointed with the limited control customization. Having both the movement and the action buttons on the left side of the 3DS when not using the Circle Pad Pro feels awkward. I think I might just fold and get the damn thing because I really want to play this game. Check out the demo and post your thoughts.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By RE_Player1

I played through it and thought it was fine without the circle pad pro. The only problem I found is it isn't always at a steady frame rate. I might pick up the full game or wait for the MGS HD Collection for Vita.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

I don't know why anyone would want this over the HD collection. It plays ok with the CPP, but the game still has problems with item management... something that really shouldn't be the case with the second screen. I love this game a lot. This just seems completely irrelevant now you can get three full games for the price of this one. I wasn't fond of the forced gyroscope controls on the bridge, I'd even say they almost don't work at all.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

I really don't understand this anymore, I mean this game costs more than the HD Collection, which not only looks and controls better but also has two other games as well.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Sooperspy

@Hizang said:

I really don't understand this anymore, I mean this game costs more than the HD Collection, which not only looks and controls better but also has two other games as well.

Yeah. Its questionable that they would price this so high when there is the HD collection they released 4 months ago.

joeq1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By joeq1159

@GunstarRed said:

I don't know why anyone would want this over the HD collection. It plays ok with the CCP, but the game still has problems with item management... something that really shouldn't be the case with the second screen. I love this game a lot. This just seems completely irrelevant now you can get three full games for the price of this one. I wasn't fond of the forced gyroscope controls on the bridge, I'd even say they almost don't work at all.

Yeah I had the same problem on the bridge. I really wanted the HD collection but I don't have a PS3 so that's a no go for me. This is strange because on the one hand Snake Eater is a really great game. Being able to play it anywhere seems pretty awesome to me, and the 3D doesn't hurt, but there is something to be said about being able to get the HD collection and basically get 3 games for the price of one.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Hizang

@Redbullet685: I think because the HD Collection was announced way after the Snake Eater 3D was announced, and by the time the HD collection was announced they had already put so much work in to it that they may as well just put it out.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

Another thing I noticed was that the 3D effect made the open areas kinda feel like a toy model or something. Not really sure how to explain it, but It definately looked better with it turned off.

joeq1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joeq1159

@GunstarRed: that being said the game looks amazing on the 3DS. I'm not sure what my expectations were for what the 3DS could do but it hasn't disappointed at all since.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By probablytuna

I'm really tempted to buy Snake Eater on the 3DS because they incorporated some of the gameplay improvements from MGS4 and Peace Walker in it like being able to crouch walk and run and gun. However I agree with some of the posts above about the awkward action buttons placed under the circle pad and the frame rate being an issue. Now I really want to see how the HD Collection looks and runs on the Vita.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

@Hizang said:

Well it's not the same as regular MGS3, the controls and gameplay features were changed to match Peace Walker, and they added in a couple other new features for the 3DS, as well as custom UI elements, and what have you, so it's not like it's just a straight HD port like the collection was, this is a whole new version of the game. Development costs, and thus the prices are going to be higher as a result.

Having just beaten MGS3 in the collection, I'm still rearing to play it again for some reason.

joeq1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joeq1159

@MikkaQ: I'd really like to see some 3DS extras, like in the remake of the first Metal Gear Solid on the Game Cube. It would be a missed opportunity if they just changed some of the gameplay without adding any cool Easter eggs.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

@joeq1159 said:

@MikkaQ: I'd really like to see some 3DS extras, like in the remake of the first Metal Gear Solid on the Game Cube. It would be a missed opportunity if they just changed some of the gameplay without adding any cool Easter eggs.

They could always change the little frogs you shoot into Yoshis or something. But yeah I hope they throw in something weird. Though the photo camo they're adding in could be pretty ridiculous.

joeq1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joeq1159

I'd like to see something with spot pass. Maybe trading camo or something like that. I'm a total sucker for spot pass.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d
    deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@MikkaQ said:

@Hizang said:

Well it's not the same as regular MGS3, the controls and gameplay features were changed to match Peace Walker, and they added in a couple other new features for the 3DS, as well as custom UI elements, and what have you, so it's not like it's just a straight HD port like the collection was, this is a whole new version of the game. Development costs, and thus the prices are going to be higher as a result.

Having just beaten MGS3 in the collection, I'm still rearing to play it again for some reason.

Well, you killed any interest I had in this version of the game :(

It's a shame, because MGS3 is easily one of my favourite games ever made.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

@Protome: You can still play it like MGS 3, first person shooting is still an option, and you don't have to walk while crouching if you don't want. I think what's taken away is the original Snake Eater classic MGS camera. It's basically Subsistence camera, with some optional additions.

Controls take a little bit of time to get used to, but I found it very functional, and I was holding up people and slitting throats in no-time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MikkaQ said:

@Protome: You can still play it like MGS 3, first person shooting is still an option, and you don't have to walk while crouching if you don't want. I think what's taken away is the original Snake Eater classic MGS camera. It's basically Subsistence camera, with some optional additions.

Controls take a little bit of time to get used to, but I found it very functional, and I was holding up people and slitting throats in no-time.

Oh, so it's not completely Peace Walker controls?

In Peace walker you couldn't move when against walls and you couldn't crawl.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

@Protome: You can definately crawl, I haven't tried shuffling along cover, but I doubt they'd take that out. It's kinda cool to be able to both crawl and crouchwalk though, it gives a nice sense of freedom.

joeq1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By joeq1159

Why would Big Boss be able to crawl in Snake Earer and then suddenly forget this ability later in his life? I call bullshit on that.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Pie

@joeq1159: The HD collection is on 360 you know

joeq1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By joeq1159

Are you freaking serious? I thought it was a PS3 exclusive! WTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeq1159: It's coming to Vita too :P

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By 49th

I refuse to buy a circle pad pro, but the controls seem terrible without one.

Aiming with the face buttons makes no sense at all. They have the one circle pad on the 3DS already... so they decide use the face buttons to aim? What the shit is up with that? It's just baffling, whoever made that decision is dumb.

Plus, the framerate slowed down quite a bit during that grass scene... not a good sign considering it was literally about 2 minutes in. I was looking forward to this but now I'm skipping it for sure, I'll probably get the HD collection.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.