Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

Getting my Ground Zeroes save ready for Phantom Pain

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

I just got Ground Zeroes free this week when I bought Phantom Pain on Steam, so I'm going through today and extracting some of the soldiers I missed the first time I around. The only thing I've done so far is complete the main mission (poorly), so my main question is this: For the soldiers that need to be rescued from the main mission in Ground Zeroes, do I need to also rescue Paz and Chico again in order to get those rescues to register? Or can I just grab the extra soldiers and then do a helo exfil?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The impression I have is that it will count as long as you extract special people and POWs at least once (in addition to finishing the mission and uploading your save data). But I'm not certain. POWs and special people in the extra ops count as well.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Wacomole

@Mike: I thought that there was that radio message that told you "If you get on that helicopter now you ABORT the mission" if you try to exfil out without completing the main objective in the mission.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Right...I guess I didn't phrase my question very well. I was trying to avoid having to extract Paz and Chico again if it wasn't totally necessary, but it probably shouldn't take that long now that I know how to do it.

Thanks

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@Mike said:

@dudeglove: Right...I guess I didn't phrase my question very well. I was trying to avoid having to extract Paz and Chico again if it wasn't totally necessary, but it probably shouldn't take that long now that I know how to do it.

Thanks

To my knowledge only POWs rescued in fully completed missions count.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By emfromthesea

Going by what the MGSV official guide says, the 19 soldiers/prisoners you can extract (detailed in the IGN guide) will nab you 19 soldiers in The Phantom Pain, who will gradually join your operation as you complete story missions in that game. And by having a GZ save you'll get the GZ sneaking suit.

If your Ground Zeroes save includes you having completed the Deja-vu mission, you will also unlock the Solid Snake outfit for The Phantom Pain.

Kojima said in an interview a while back that owners of Ground Zeroes would be able to revisit Camp Omega (the locale of Ground Zeroes), but this is not detailed in the guide.

TJMasterK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: Do you know if you get that suit if you completed it on Normal? or does it not matter. I completed the Deja-vu mission on hard and I got the Gray Fox skin for that mission though I'm not sure if that means I don't get the Sneaking suit from MGS1 in TPP

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emfromthesea

@sunbrozak: Do you know if you get that suit if you completed it on Normal? or does it not matter. I completed the Deja-vu mission on hard and I got the Gray Fox skin for that mission though I'm not sure if that means I don't get the Sneaking suit from MGS1 in TPP

I'm afraid all the guide says is, "Save data from MGSV: Ground Zeroes with the Deja-vu side op completed" next to the outfit.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does it matter on which playthrough you extracted everyone? Does it have to be the most recent? The one with the highest rank? Or as long as you extracted them once it doesn't matter?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Going by what the MGSV official guide says, the 19 soldiers/prisoners you can extract (detailed in the IGN guide) will nab you 19 soldiers in The Phantom Pain, who will gradually join your operation as you complete story missions in that game. And by having a GZ save you'll get the GZ sneaking suit.

If your Ground Zeroes save includes you having completed the Deja-vu mission, you will also unlock the Solid Snake outfit for The Phantom Pain.

Kojima said in an interview a while back that owners of Ground Zeroes would be able to revisit Camp Omega (the locale of Ground Zeroes), but this is not detailed in the guide.

Alright good to know that I don't have to S-rank all the missions, I can focus on rescuing POW or persons of interest in the side ops. Thanks a lot!

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By emfromthesea

Just a heads up for those with early copies; the servers are now up. You can transfer your saves. Something else that you get for transfering your save over, that I must have missed in the guide, is a golden version of your bionic arm.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mike

@sunbrozak: Ah that's pretty cool. I just uploaded my save about half an hour ago. I think I missed extracting a couple of POWs, but I got all of the named characters which is what I was going for.

I haven't done Deja Vu, but that one seems kind of time consuming as I still have to go back and collected all the XOF patches.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: It's pretty quick if you use a guide. Which you might have to any ways because those patches are almost impossible to see from what I remember.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By emfromthesea

For reference, here is the GZ sneaking suit and the Solid Snake outfit in The Phantom Pain.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: Hmm well...I do have a few hours left. Maybe I'll go ahead and just do it.

XCEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does completion of the Jamais Vu mission get you anything?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@xceagle: Not really no. Its a fun mission though. On Xbox its required to get some of the achievements however.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This ground zeroes game seems pretty good:

Loading Video...

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Do the upload and download save only work once? As in, can I upload the save from GZ when I get home from work today, download it in PP and start playing, then later hop into GZ to save more people and do the Deja Vu mission then upload that? I got it a few days before last weekend myself, and have been busy with other stuff, which means I haven't been able to save that many people. Or even unlock the Deja Vu mission. But I kinda want to jump into PP when I get home from work today...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a heads up for those with early copies; the servers are now up. You can transfer your saves. Something else that you get for transfering your save over, that I must have missed in the guide, is a golden version of your bionic arm.

Is that for transferring your save over? Or is that like a 100% reward or something? I got all the trophies and did everything outside of S-Ranking Hard Mode missions.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak said:

Is that for transferring your save over? Or is that like a 100% reward or something? I got all the trophies and did everything outside of S-Ranking Hard Mode missions.

It popped up when I transferred the save. And my Ground Zeroes save quite incomplete. The only missions I bothered to S-rank were the two versions of the Deja-vu mission.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: Huh, weird. Nothing for me. Oh well. I'll look into it later I guess.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally worth playing Ground Zeroes by the way:

No Caption Provided

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Glaz looks like such a bad ass in a sneaking suit.

I've currently got my GZ people just assigned to whatever team they would be best on, I haven't taken any out into the field individually but I will soon. Using other characters besides Snake is such a little thing, but I think it adds so much replay value on top of everything that is already there. Tons of fun.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Has anyone tried re-importing a more complete save after already using an older one? I didn't finish everything in Ground Zeroes my first time around, and I'm contemplating jumping back in to try and round out my Mother Base staff, but I don't necessarily want to start The Phantom Pain from scratch.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: It's pretty cool for sure, every character I've played so far has had a different voice as well. There might only be like 4 or 5 per gender but its still neat; they had to do almost as much voice acting as Kiefer himself.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mike

@badnews Continuing on from that Polygon thread - here is one of the female soldiers you can rescue from Ground Zeroes. Right now I have five other women on staff, I believe. One of them started with an A+ in Combat, so she has ranked up significantly overall thanks to numerous combat unit deployments with her team.

Amber Fox, pictured in the file photos below, also has some kind of tribal face tattoo going on. She was from Ground Zeroes as well. Not sure exactly how any of these were unlocked or rescued, though.

Garnet Canine - She is REALLY dedicated to Diamond Dogs, and got the tat to prove it. Why does her forehead and hair look like they're melting into one, though?
    Garnet Canine - She is REALLY dedicated to Diamond Dogs, and got the tat to prove it. Why does her forehead and hair look like they're melting into one, though?

I don't have images of the other women on my staff other than from their personnel files, but here you go:

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@conmulligan said:

Has anyone tried re-importing a more complete save after already using an older one? I didn't finish everything in Ground Zeroes my first time around, and I'm contemplating jumping back in to try and round out my Mother Base staff, but I don't necessarily want to start The Phantom Pain from scratch.

In case anyone's curious, this does work. I went back and rounded up all the prisoners I missed in Ground Zeroes and after re-uploading my save and completing the mission requirements in The Phantom Pain, they all showed up. Handy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.