Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

If u think it's overpriced & u don't mind playing on ps3/360

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I rented from redbox for $2. graphics are nice (sort of looks like hitman absolution. runs perfectly fine. the gameplay is pw 2.0, refined and improved for the consoles and really fun. big fan of the mgs series and $30 is pushing it but might be worth it to own for $20.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I own it on ps4 and have played almost 7 hours of it. 3 times through story and 2 of the 5 side ops modes. If you're an mgs fan I seriously think it's a no brainer buy, tons of fun and there is enough to squeeze out to justify the price.

I'm sure the ps3 version is fine but for 10 extra bucks I'll tell you what.... Game looks pretty damn amazing. Day looks great to but that night level just....holy shit.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't regret my decision since I've played a shit ton of it on PS4. It's the same price on all consoles since the price got lowered before release.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

surprised you didn't mentioned it's 20 bucks digitally, but hey, choose how you want to spend your money. I don't regret buying it, I already put in 10 hours into it.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By mrcraggle

I won't be playing it as I don't have a next gen system nor access to my PS3 but it's £25 here in the UK for the PS4 version (and that's regardless of whether you buy it on disc or digitally) and I don't get how people are totally accepting of that price point for a game, even with multiple playthroughs is still only a few hours long. Case Zero was exactly this and it was $5 and it was awesome because of its price point, length and what it gave you. I do have to wonder if this wasn't an MGS game, would people be so accepting? Let's create a scenario here where DR3 was coming out at the end of this year but for the launch of the XB1, we have a small area you can play in, you can see the new tech that's going to be in DR3 but it's the same price as Ground Zeroes. People would probably shit all over that game because despite Capcom's smart move to release Case Zero for $5, they've been extremely shitty when it comes to DLC that's on the disc, overpriced etc. Kojima himself said that Phantom Pain will be 200 times the size of GZ so where's the value here? It even barely contains much story at all so it's not much of a prologue either.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I rented it for a day as well. Great choice, got to leisurely play through all the missions except the one that requires all patches. It's really fantastic but it is just a demo with special features, so the way they're selling it is too gross for me to support. Jim Sterling's review is spot-on, I don't know how anyone can call it a game with a straight face.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't be playing it as I don't have a next gen system nor access to my PS3 but it's £25 here in the UK for the PS4 version (and that's regardless of whether you buy it on disc or digitally) and I don't get how people are totally accepting of that price point for a game, even with multiple playthroughs is still only a few hours long. Case Zero was exactly this and it was $5 and it was awesome because of its price point, length and what it gave you. I do have to wonder if this wasn't an MGS game, would people be so accepting? Let's create a scenario here where DR3 was coming out at the end of this year but for the launch of the XB1, we have a small area you can play in, you can see the new tech that's going to be in DR3 but it's the same price as Ground Zeroes. People would probably shit all over that game because despite Capcom's smart move to release Case Zero for $5, they've been extremely shitty when it comes to DLC that's on the disc, overpriced etc. Kojima himself said that Phantom Pain will be 200 times the size of GZ so where's the value here? It even barely contains much story at all so it's not much of a prologue either.

If it's length that bothers you I beat MGS1 in 4 hours when I got it. Same for 2. About 8 hours for MGS3 and 12 hours for MGS4. I played through every mission in Ground Zeroes and it took 6-8 hours which is more than what I got out of 1&2 and about what I got from 3 the first time I played it. It's also like $30 which is slightly more than half of what I payed for those games. Another way to look at it is that there are $30 blurays that have the same amount of content and are considered good deals.

People tend to look at things like "How many dollars per hour am I putting into this game." I think that's kind of a weird way to look at things especially since that's so black and white. There's a lot that goes into the games value like how much did you enjoy the experience. For me it was quite a lot and I'll probably play it even more. Another thing is I knew what I was getting. The fact that it is Metal Gear does help because I've always enjoyed the Metal Gear experience which isn't just the story, it's the crazy shit that lets me know that the designers have fun with it too. The console exclusive missions and the Kojima mission are definitely full of that. And It's also a good game. If it wasn't then it wouldn't matter how much money I put in it.

Though I'd be surprised if Phantom Pain doesn't have Ground Zeroes bundled with it in some way. I bet it's a pre-order bonus or a collector's edition version so if you're not that huge of a Metal Gear fan I'd say just wait. I on the other hand love Metal Gear enough that I feel justified with my purchase.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not about length so much as content. The main mission has two objectives and there's as much story here (maybe) as you'd find in the tanker demo for MGS2. Because this is a demo, with some bonuses added to try to justify an insane $20- $30 price tag. It is very fun to mess around with so I don't blame hardcore fans for buying it, I just can't commend Konami for selling this thing this way.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By liquiddragon

@razkazz: I agree. For the amount of content, I think it'd be actually a good deal if it was 5-10 bux but MGS games are always pretty meaty and the price tag is a total slap in the face to hardcore fans and also pretty sleazy way to sale to casual ones. It's really fucked up to name it MGSV:GZ. This is NOT MGS2:SoL, MGS3:SE, or MGS4:GoP. This is just a teaspoon taste of what's to come. I can't in good conscious support this, I expect better from this series and Kojima.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: @razkazz: You guys are kind of discarding a lot of the content and then saying there isn't a lot of content because it isn't in the main mission. Kojima does add a lot of goofy shit that makes it worth it for me but I guess that's just how I feel about it.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@razkazz: I agree. For the amount of content, I think it'd be actually a good deal if it was 5-10 bux but MGS games are always pretty meaty and the price tag is a total slap in the face to hardcore fans and also pretty sleazy way to sale to casual ones. It's really fucked up to name it MGSV:GZ. This is NOT MGS2:SoL, MGS3:SE, or MGS4:GoP. This is just a teaspoon taste of what's to come. I can't in good conscious support this, I exact better from this series and Kojima.

It isn't a slap to the hardcore fans for those of us who bought it, enjoyed it and have no complaints about it. If you don't like the idea, than don't buy it. But there is no need to go on about it being a slap in the face to those of us who enjoy it.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By razkazz

Yeah, $10 or less is fair, since they did put the effort into making it slightly more than a demo. I would've seen it as a very positive thing at that price point, and a brilliant advertising move. At its current price it just feels exploitative and insulting.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crithon

@liquiddragon: I don't think you really doing a pro-consumerist effect by ordering a copy from red box. Red Box still has to purchase units from Konami, and it's their responsibility to get people to rent out these copies they own in order to make a profit (and they do that by not having employees and using automated machines in large traffic areas). Your just saving yourself the money, but your not exactly dicking over Konami who have already made their money.

If your really trying to say that this is bad business practice then there are other ways to go about this. Because rental services are actually still giving money to publishers in one form or another.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's $40 in the UK. Indefensible price and the gaming Stockholm Syndrome on show with people defending it ("if you play it through 4 times it is 5 hours long, amazing value") is quite bizarre and depressing.

If this is a success, EA, Ubisoft, Activision will all decide to do the same thing.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Angry Joe says it best.

Loading Video...

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By razkazz

@crithon: My thinking in renting was less about fighting the establishment and more about doing what's in my best interest. I got to experience it for $2 instead of $20 to judge for myself if it was worth the asking price. Now I know I'll feel fine buying it for $10 or less later because that's about what it's worth to me.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@deerokus said:

It's $40 in the UK. Indefensible price and the gaming Stockholm Syndrome on show with people defending it ("if you play it through 4 times it is 5 hours long, amazing value") is quite bizarre and depressing.

If this is a success, EA, Ubisoft, Activision will all decide to do the same thing.

Oh come on. It's £19.99 in the UK. You haven't played it and you don't intend to, so move along.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sooty

I wouldn't really care about what platform I play this on because it doesn't even look that good on PS4.

The design of the game is nice, I like the interface and the style, but graphical fidelity is a bit hit and miss. I think this is more a problem of how bland the camp is and less to do with Fox Engine, but the textures are still a bit weak.

Angry Joe says it best.

It would help if I could make it through one of his videos, but nope, another annoying YouTube man.

kadaju86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, paid the equivalent of $25 for it here in Japan as a retail copy, certainly beats the price of $57 they are asking on the Norwegian PSN store :P (PS4 version)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razkazz: I don't blame you, there's nothing wrong with saving money.

But people who are arguing this is bad business practice should really just protest, because even a rental is still data being tracked to Konami telling them they didn't learn anything from this.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I own it on ps4 and have played almost 7 hours of it. 3 times through story and 2 of the 5 side ops modes. If you're an mgs fan I seriously think it's a no brainer buy, tons of fun and there is enough to squeeze out to justify the price.

I'm sure the ps3 version is fine but for 10 extra bucks I'll tell you what.... Game looks pretty damn amazing. Day looks great to but that night level just....holy shit.

Since you have played it through so much I was wondering where the replayability comes from? Are there leader boards or something or is it just fun to mess around?

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be fine for 5-10 dollars, but they're asking half the price of a full game for a demo/prologue. That's kind of stupid to me and setting a terrible precedent that it's okay to sell prologues separate from the main game.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#23  Edited By gla55jAw

I bought it for PS4 and it's probably worth the $30...It would have been a no brainer for $20, but I just bought my PS4 and I wanted it. I played through the main mission twice and have yet to touch the side missions. It looks great and is very fun. Wish there was more story, but I knew what I was getting into when I bought it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't regret my decision since I've played a shit ton of it on PS4. It's the same price on all consoles since the price got lowered before release.

No, it's not the same price on all consoles. It's 19.99 on last-gen, and 29.99 on current. What they changed was the digital and physical. Originally physical retail copies costed ten dollars more.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm conflicted on this really after I've seen both sides of the argument. I have even defended the game, because I personally really enjoy the game a lot, to the extent of thinking it's the best game from a gameplay perspective on new-gen consoles, and though not quite perfect, it's still perhaps the best looking new-gen game as well. It has a lot of replay value, so in that sense, yes it's worth the price, but then again you can argue that it lacks content, and that's not arguable, because it's true. So basically it's, plays extremely well, and a lot of replay value vs. lack of content.

You can say that if you pay for this game, you support the way they made it; how they lack what makes a full game, and if you buy it, the publishers and developers will do it again, and honestly, while I love playing it, I don't believe I would want them to do something similar, but only as a one time thing. Some of the content I feel is stripped from what will be in Phantom Pain, so while those are problems, I don't care to mention what I wished had been in it, but instead, I wish they had, if anything, taken the side missions and made entirely new stages for them.

Instead it has you go back to the same map that's in the main mission, just with a different time of day, showing off how the day/night/weather works (and it does look great). That kind of variety would have been nice and would have been a step in making it feel even more worth the price. I'm not disappointed that I bought it at the price it was at all, because I'm still playing it from the day of its release, even after Second Son, but I wouldn't want to make it a habit of buying games like it.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@laserbolts: sorry for the late response but there are a few reasons I've got a lot of time out of it. One is just the level itself. I beat the story one way and when I went in again I did some totally different stuff. There is just a a ton of options at your disposal. Secondly is the side ops. There is one on rails portion that is pretty quick and short but the others have you dropped into the open world to find one or two targets. On top of that you got the grading scale which can encourage you to do better.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still amazes me that some people will complain about the price of something that is completely optional to their life. You realize how lucky you are to even be able to play a video game? To have a computer? A TV? A PS4? Internet?

Embarrassing to have such entitlement with something as unnecessary in life as a video game.

"Outraged" that some game developer decided to price their video game at some price you don't deem worthy is about as short-sighted as anything I've heard in a while. I can understand thinking its too much, but to act like it's some crime against humanity...

I understand complaining about the price of your hospital bills, taxes...but to complain about a privileged person's toy..man.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I still amazes me that some people will complain about the price of something that is completely optional to their life. You realize how lucky you are to even be able to play a video game? To have a computer? A TV? A PS4? Internet?

Embarrassing to have such entitlement with something as unnecessary in life as a video game.

"Outraged" that some game developer decided to price their video game at some price you don't deem worthy is about as short-sighted as anything I've heard in a while. I can understand thinking its too much, but to act like it's some crime against humanity...

I understand complaining about the price of your hospital bills, taxes...but to complain about a privileged person's toy..man.

You said it there duder, the level of entitlement and disregard for the opinions of others is pretty disgusting in our community. It's totally fine to not find the value in this game yourself, but once you start discounting the opinions of others and resorting to childish name calling (I believe one term was "Gaming Stockholm Syndrom) you expose yourself for the 5 year old behind the xbox live headset that you really are, and you bring yourself and our gaming community down to a despicable low that we've been struggling to crawl out of for so long. Have a little respect, and maybe some will come back your way. I love this game, I've put about 15 hours into it already, and I don't see myself stopping. I also picked up inFamous this week which while great, isn't worth $60 to me. Does that mean I should start trolling the inFamous boards about how all the sheeple there will overpay for a mediocre at best game? No, because I'm not a dick.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@counterclockwork87 said:

You said it there duder, the level of entitlement and disregard for the opinions of others is pretty disgusting in our community. It's totally fine to not find the value in this game yourself, but once you start discounting the opinions of others and resorting to childish name calling (I believe one term was "Gaming Stockholm Syndrom) you expose yourself for the 5 year old behind the xbox live headset that you really are, and you bring yourself and our gaming community down to a despicable low that we've been struggling to crawl out of for so long. Have a little respect, and maybe some will come back your way. I love this game, I've put about 15 hours into it already, and I don't see myself stopping. I also picked up inFamous this week which while great, isn't worth $60 to me. Does that mean I should start trolling the inFamous boards about how all the sheeple there will overpay for a mediocre at best game? No, because I'm not a dick.

The thing is though, the reason people are acting this way is because this game sets a huge precedent for companies to release prologues or demos showing off what their full game will do for HALF THE PRICE OF A FULL RELEASE

It doesn't matter if you squeezed out 15 hours. It's a fucking prologue demo for the real MGSV in which the main story can be completed in literally 10 minutes without resorting to exploits of any kind. The added side stuff can also be completed in 20 minutes each and add absolutely nothing rather than show "Hey look, this is what our weather system looks like in FOX engine!" I'm not bashing the game, it's quite good mechanically, but to support selling a prologue for half the price of a full game(More in countries besides America) is sending a clear message that we are willing to buy less than half a game for a lot of money.

Dead Rising 2: Case Zero easily had equal amount of content to this game, you could fuck around in there for days. It was a prologue to the real game. It was $5. There is absolutely no reason this should have been $30($40 where I live) and you're sitting there supporting shitty money grabbing business practices.

inFAMOUS: Second Son is a fully featured game, Ground Zeroes is a prologue to MGSV with a campaign that can be completed in minutes. One is $60, one is $30. How can people seriously not see the problem here? So exciting to see the future where everybody sells access to their prologues for full prices!

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SomeJerk

Angry Joe says it best:
    "I'm a tired predictable youtube gimmick that should retire together with screamoscreamodie and the others"

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SomeJerk

@krullban said:

Now what are your opinions on Titanfall.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.