Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

The real reason why Kiefer is now the voice of Snake..

• 98 results
    frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By frankiebeanz

Just found this quote from an interview with Kojima on why they changed the voice.

Kojima - "Regarding the change of voice with the new technologies we are now able to express emotions not only with his voice, but also with the expressiveness of the faces. The main theme this time is revenge, and so far the thrills of Snake could not match the words, but now that emotions can be expressed also with the faces we needed a real actor, not just a voice actor. For this reason we decided to use Mr. Sutherland."

Source

Still think its the wrong decision and Hayters voice made the character who he is since MGS1 in 1998.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

David Hayter isn't voicing Big Boss because he's going to make a cameo of sorts in MGSV if not a later game as Solid Snake. Also, I thought the main theme was gene or... meme or something.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The real reason

Kojima fapping over having a hollywood actor.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Anger!!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yummylee

Also, is Big Boss the only character who's going through facial capture? What about all of the other characters? If Kojima really wanted to be able to better portray a more serious and emotional story, and uses that as his justification for switching BB's voice actor, then why in the Hell is Christopher ''E.EEEEE'' Randolph still in there??

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Just found this quote from an interview with Kojima on why they changed the voice.

Kojima - "Regarding the change of voice with the new technologies we are now able to express emotions not only with his voice, but also with the expressiveness of the faces. The main theme this time is revenge, and so far the thrills of Snake could not match the words, but now that emotions can be expressed also with the faces we needed a real actor, not just a voice actor. For this reason we decided to use Mr. Sutherland."

Source

Still think its the wrong decision and Hayters voice made the character who he is since MGS1 in 1998.

Don't type "The real reason" in your thread title and then paste in some "quote" from a random website.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: its also a video interview of him saying it himself....

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Jack Bauer vs David Hayter in the end. Sadly, Kojima apparently really digs 24.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is the actual reason, and that has been reported since Kiefer Sutherland was presented in the first place as the new Snake, quite a while back.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Haha did they just inadvertantly call David Haytor not a real actor? Nice.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

David Hayter isn't voicing Big Boss because he's going to make a cameo of sorts in MGSV if not a later game as Solid Snake. Also, I thought the main theme was gene or... meme or something.

I wouldn't count on that. Hayter has been really bitter about the whole thing so I'm pretty sure he won't be working with Kojima anytime soon. The part that worries me is not the performance in itself, Keifer is fine in the role, it's more that I foresee a lot less VO from Big Boss in the phantom pain now. No way they can get that guy in the studio for the amount of time they had Hayter for MGS4 or any other MGS game.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would absolutely be fine with it if I wasn't a fan of 24. It just takes me out of the experience when I hear Boss speak. I immediately think "oh yea Jack Bauer". I think Jeff made a similar statement in one of the quick looks.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jack Bauer is just a different take on this dark Snake to begin with.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I still subscribe to the "Decoy Octopus" theory.

xXCrazyCostaXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to get around to playing this to see how I really feel, too many games. Next on my list when I'm done with Infamous SS.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@yummylee said:

Also, is Big Boss the only character who's going through facial capture? What about all of the other characters? If Kojima really wanted to be able to better portray a more serious and emotional story, and uses that as his justification for switching BB's voice actor, then why in the Hell is Christopher ''E.EEEEE'' Randolph still in there??

No, every character or at least main character is entirely performance captured. They've even shown some of that process off.

Loading Video...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan: Yeah I think he did. Which is super unfair to Hayter and other voice actors out there. David Hayter put emotion across in Snake back when Snake looked like this

No Caption Provided

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: its also a video interview of him saying it himself....

What video? Did his translator specifically say they needed a "real actor?"

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@brendan said:

Haha did they just inadvertantly call David Haytor not a real actor? Nice.

.. but he's kinda not. Hayter is a writer who kind of fell into Metal Gear. It's never been his "calling" so to speak. The dude is a writer (and a good one).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'd imagine David Hayter would find it difficult to emote while trying to make Snake noises with his mouth. Grarghrghrhg Metal Gear?

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

No, every character or at least main character is entirely performance captured. They've even shown some of that process off.

Loading Video...

While this is the case with Quiet, it still seems a little unfair when a lot of the main characters are being played by well known voice and not physical actors (Troy Baker, Robin Atkin Downes, Tara Strong, Christopher Randolph etc.)

Besides, it's not uncommon for a voice actor to have their performance captured (Most of Uncharted 2 and 3's cast was) and while Nolan North is an accomplished voice actor, outside of some decent TV show appearances his isn't really known for his physical acting.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SlashDance

There's nothing unique about the voice acting in Ground Zeroes. It sounds just like every other Metal Gear game. It's not like Hayter would be outshined by fucking Christopher Randolph or by whoever plays Skull Face. He would fit right in. I think Kiefer sounds okay in the tapes, but nothing mind blowing either.

I don't buy that Snake will be in the final game though, because they would've changed the voice of Big Boss in the japanese version as well. I think he's gone for good.

@oldirtybearon said:

.. but he's kinda not. Hayter is a writer who kind of fell into Metal Gear. It's never been his "calling" so to speak. The dude is a writer (and a good one).

I agree but he's still an okay voice actor. He was fine in SWTOR, and from what I've seen of Republique he was pretty good in that, too. He's no Troy Baker or anything, but not bad.

And again, put him next to Paul Eiding, Christopher Randolph or Quinton Flynn, he's pretty much on par. Metal Gear games always sounded like badly dubbed anime, and that was part of the charm for me. I understand why they would want to get away from that but then they should've changed all the actors and not just Hayter. This whole thing makes zero sense to me.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

I wouldn't count on that. Hayter has been really bitter about the whole thing so I'm pretty sure he won't be working with Kojima anytime soon. The part that worries me is not the performance in itself, Keifer is fine in the role, it's more that I foresee a lot less VO from Big Boss in the phantom pain now. No way they can get that guy in the studio for the amount of time they had Hayter for MGS4 or any other MGS game.

I still believe this and all the other stuff are just stunts to throw everyone off.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@demoskinos said:

@yummylee said:

Loading Video...

While this is the case with Quiet, it still seems a little unfair when a lot of the main characters are being played by well known voice and not physical actors (Troy Baker, Robin Atkin Downes, Tara Strong, Christopher Randolph etc.)

Besides, it's not uncommon for a voice actor to have their performance captured (Most of Uncharted 2 and 3's cast was) and while Nolan North is an accomplished voice actor, outside of some decent TV show appearances his isn't really known for his physical acting.

I know for a fact Troy Baker has done performance capture. He did it for Last of Us and I'd be willing to bet a number of the others you mentioned have done it at some point as well.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By billyhoush

The show 24 was a massive success in Japan. Kiefer was always doing huge promotional events over there when the season box sets would each get released. Kiefer is a superstar in Japan.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SlashDance

@demoskinos: Robin Atkin Downes was in The Last of Us and he played a different character in all 4 Uncharteds. He's an amazing actor.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@demoskinos: He did it for Infamous Second Son too, to the point they made Delsin look like Troy. Same for the guy who voiced Reggie.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@oldirtybearon: You clearly haven't seen Guyver 2 The Dark Hero where David Hayter was the lead.

Loading Video...

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's probably nano machines, it generally is.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Ruiner

He gave this reason when they announced the change.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@zagzagovich: Yes I have seen Guyver 2! You know what I thought of it? The first one was better.

But my point still stands. I respect Hayter's ability. Dude wrote some fantastic movies and did some good voice acting; but I don't blame Kojima for wanting to move on to a different voice for the Big Boss role. In fairness to Hayter, Kojima could've handled it better. From what has been said, nobody at KojiPro bothered to inform Hayter that while they were working on a new Metal Gear, his services would not be required. Working with someone for 15+ years and having the business relationship end like that can make anyone feel a little bitter.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

@yummylee said:

Loading Video...

After Troy Baker's facial/voice/motion capture in The Last of Us, I think we can say he is a physical actor. The point is David Hayter was never a voice actor to begin with, or a good actor. He is a writer who fell into the role of Solid Snake, and as much of a fan I am on MGS, I always found Hayter's performance to be really lacking.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@billyhoush: Wait, really? Forgive my ignorance but how was it such a huge success in Japan? What about it resonated with that audience?

I only ask because 24 is more specific to U.S. political culture and Japan is far different.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

David Hayter was the voice of the lead in Silent Hill Downpour and I thought he did pretty well. His falling/freakout voice sounds way more legit than most video game voice acting.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm surprised that people are still so worked up over this. I mean, I consider myself a big MGS fan. I'm obsessed with it, and I think getting someone else to voice Big Boss was the right thing to do. Was Kiefer the best possible choice? Who knows! But based on his lines in Ground Zeroes, I at least think he's a good choice, and assuming he actually has a decent number of lines in Phantom Pain, I'll be more than satisfied.

Let's not forget that there is precedence for Big Boss being voiced by someone else, and for the "exact clone" of Big Boss (Solidus) having a different voice.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

David Hayter was the voice of the lead in Silent Hill Downpour and I thought he did pretty well. His falling/freakout voice sounds way more legit than most video game voice acting.

wait wuuuuuuuuuut

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

Decoy Octopus theory all the way. That's why the bandaged guy Ishmael or whatever from the Phantom Pain trailer was also voiced by Kiefer. I really feel like something strange is going on here. In Ground Zeroes Big Boss hardly talks at all. He's just silent 90% of the time.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

@ghostiet said:

Decoy Octopus theory all the way. That's why the bandaged guy Ishmael or whatever from the Phantom Pain trailer was also voiced by Kiefer. I really feel like something strange is going on here. In Ground Zeroes Big Boss hardly talks at all. He's just silent 90% of the time.

I haven't played Ground Zeroes, but I was lead to believe from elsewhere that Skullface was Decoy Octopus. I don't really know why... is Skullface = Decoy Octopus perhaps another popular theory that's floating around? Hell, fuck it maybe Chico's decoy octopus... and Paz is blonde octo Beauty from MGS4 because why not.

I've mentioned this in the past, but one of my fears for Phantom Pain is that it'll basically be MGS4 again, only instead of wrapping up every single character arc ever, it's now showing you the origins of every single character's arc ever.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zagzagovich: Yes I have seen Guyver 2! You know what I thought of it? The first one was better.

But my point still stands. I respect Hayter's ability. Dude wrote some fantastic movies and did some good voice acting; but I don't blame Kojima for wanting to move on to a different voice for the Big Boss role. In fairness to Hayter, Kojima could've handled it better. From what has been said, nobody at KojiPro bothered to inform Hayter that while they were working on a new Metal Gear, his services would not be required. Working with someone for 15+ years and having the business relationship end like that can make anyone feel a little bitter.

You are a crazy person for that one sentence alone. I maybe be a big Guyver fan of the anime and other such. However on basic levels of sanity that movie isnt good.

Here let me help you. These are the proper reactions a "normal" person should have to Guyver/Mutronics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti1YTs0IiQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsikK5jgLJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A0zlV_iqo0

I watched live action guyver as a kid. I rewatched it as an adult with these same reactions. I fucking spasmed at those flashing cuts.

Loading Video...

As for David Hayter's acting. I refer to Guyver the anime for bad acting, I am probably an expert in loving bad voice acting due to this. As I show here. I like bad 80s dubs of anime, Manga UK doing the weirdest and best dubs.

Yet David Hayter's acting isnt as good as that clip. Fun fact Steve Blum was in that dub and he has improved greatly since.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@krullban said:

@ghostiet said:

I think a lot of the silence comes from how much Miller talks. At least during game play, it feels like Miller is always talking, but Boss is silent. In the cutscenes and audio tapes, I feel like Big Boss talks whenever it's appropriate.

And really, if he's sneaking right next to some guards, it'd be a little conspicuous to have him having a drawn out conversation with Miller.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho: I don't like Anime. My experience with Guyver consisted of going into a Blockbuster (not sure if you're old enough to remember those) and seeing the VHS tape on a shelf and going "that looks interesting."

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

@billyhoush: Wait, really? Forgive my ignorance but how was it such a huge success in Japan? What about it resonated with that audience?

I only ask because 24 is more specific to U.S. political culture and Japan is far different.

I think it's probably the bit in season 1 when the writers decided that his wife should casually and pointlessly get amnesia.

On topic, I don't think either is a very good excuse. I'll hold onto the hope he'll return as Solid, though that will be when? Another 5 years from now? Other than the voice being as iconic the bandanna, everything I've seen from Hayter over the years is that he genuinly loves the character and the games. That investment to me is more important than a 'profession actor' on their next job. Hayter has been successful as a writer and just finished his first writer/director gig. Of course he works for the money, but i'd doubt he would come back for the handheld jobs if it wasn't for some love of the character.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Freshbandito

I would absolutely be fine with it if I wasn't a fan of 24. It just takes me out of the experience when I hear Boss speak. I immediately think "oh yea Jack Bauer". I think Jeff made a similar statement in one of the quick looks.

That's pretty much my problem with it. I just don't think Kojima realises how iconic Hayter's voice is as Snake/s here in the west.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#46  Edited By Mnemoidian

@yummylee said:

fwiw, I think you are getting the individual games mixed up with the franchise, or something?

MGS1's theme was gene, MGS2's theme was meme, MGS3 - scene, MGS4 - sense, Peace Walker - peace.

So there's nothing stopping MGS5 from having the theme of Revenge.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Yummylee

@gruff182 said:
    @brendan said:

I think it's probably the bit in season 1 when the writers decided that his wife should casually and pointlessly get amnesia.

On topic, I don't think either is a very good excuse. I'll hold onto the hope he'll return as Solid, though that will be when? Another 5 years from now? Other than the voice being as iconic the bandanna, everything I've seen from Hayter over the years is that he genuinly loves the character and the games. That investment to me is more important than a 'profession actor' on their next job. Hayter has been successful as a writer and just finished his first writer/director gig. Of course he works for the money, but i'd doubt he would come back for the handheld jobs if it wasn't for some love of the character.

Plus he donated like 3/4 of his salary or something to bring back the entire voice cast for Twin Snakes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@brodehouse said:

wait wuuuuuuuuuut

You didn't know? (Your ass betta caaaaaaall somebodyyyyy)

Never mind, I did some research and I'm wrong. That was only a rumor when the trailer came out. Turns out my ass better google.

I've done some more research and it's possible that he did Murphy's voice under a different name. 'David Boyd Konrad' on IMDB only has one credit, and it's as Murphy.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Old quote, we've known this for months.

If Solid Snake really does show up in MGSV that would be crazy, but the game would have to move through time pretty far... MGSV is 1984, right?... Metal Gear is 1995... Sooooo ... maybe? But he might be too young for Hayter to voice anyways. If Snake is born in 1974/5 that'd make him 20 in 84.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Yummylee

@geraltitude said:

Old quote, we've known this for months.

If Solid Snake really does show up in MGSV that would be crazy, but the game would have to move through time pretty far... MGSV is 1984, right?... Metal Gear is 1995... Sooooo ... maybe? But he might be too young for Hayter to voice anyways. If Snake is born in 1974/5 that'd make him 20 in 84.

Er, I think you mean 10? Also, he was born in 1972 anywhoo, so he'd be 12. Regardless of Solid Snake, however, Liquid at least is all but confirmed to be in it as Eli.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.