Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

Trailer from Kojima's PAX Prime 2012 panel

• 184 results
    webscud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By webscud

I can't stress how excited I am.

That said, when Snake removes his night vision goggles, does his head look big? The scale seems off to me.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By realph

Looks incredible! Glad to have Big Boss back. I do think a couple outlets exaggerated on the graphics though. I mean, they're great, but I wouldn't say they're next-gen after seeing 1313. I also think Beyond might look better than this.

No Caption Provided
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By Silver-Streak
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By AuthenticM

@realph said:

Looks incredible! Glad to have Big Boss back. I do think a couple outlets exaggerated on the graphics though. I mean, they're great, but I wouldn't say they're next-gen after seeing 1313. I also think Beyond might look better than this.

The graphics are not next-gen. It's running on a PC speced similarly to the PS3 and 360. That's what's making it impressive. Also, this is the "prologue" to MGS5, which will come after that. It's safe to say that it will be on next-gen systems, and if this game is any indication, it'll probably look fucking fantastic.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106  Edited By shiftymagician

I can't believe a Metal Gear Solid game is going to release on PC. I honestly can't wait for this now. Fox Engine was surprisingly great to see in action. Definitely a better introduction than that Konami 'Conference' debut of its existence.

Calitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Calitar

For those of you who want a better source for the extended demo, I found it on youtube.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#108  Edited By N7

Open world works so well for this. I can't wait to just go out and explore the world. Peace Walker was built on a system of capturing soldiers and vehicles, so now that you can literally hijack tanks and APC's(Presumably helicopters too) I won't how much this will be changed. I imagine a scenario of "Herp derp, walking along this forest, oh look at that helicopter up in the sky! I'll follow it back to the airbase it came from and take it for myself!". It's like when you first get into Skryim, and you think "Wow, I'll never be able to walk up that mountain way over there" and then, dude, you totally can. But this time, you get to ride DRAGONS OF STEEL.

Also, Mother Base has a Metal Gear and nuclear bomb. Who dares mess with them?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Jesus Christ, YES Kojima, YES YES YES. Make love to me!

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By coakroach

MGS games always make the next generation of hardware seem incredible.

I am FUCKING STOKED.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By artelinarose

oh my god

i did not think i could get this excited for video games anymore

oh my god oh my god

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By AuthenticM

Do you guys remember, about two or so years ago, Kojima said that his next game was going to touch upon "taboo" and sensitive topics, and depending on the public's reaction to it, he might be forced to leave the industry ? This is probably the game he was talking about. My idea ? Big Boss will save children from prison camps and recruit them into his PMC, effectively making them child soldiers. That would be crazy.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By SSully

I would call bullshit on how well this works, but I thought the same thing when we first got a look at MGS4. And that game looked as good, if not better when it came out.

_Soki_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By _Soki_

So if Big Boss is that old now does that mean Richard Doyle is doing the voice instead of David Hayter maybe?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By AuthenticM

@_Soki_: I doubt that. Fans would go apeshit. Besides, I don't think Big Boss is that old. I think the lighting made his hair looked grey/white. If you take a look at when he's climbing the wall, his hair is dark. Considering that the kid is Chico from Peace Walker (which was confirmed), the game cannot take place more than three years top after PW. I think BB was 39 in PW, which would make him in his early 40s here.

gtg12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By gtg12

This looks absolutely stunning.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#117  Edited By crithon

nice, the movement reminds me of peace walker.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#118  Edited By Zleunamme

That was freaking awesome. Anybody have ideas who the man with the burned face is? Is he a new antagonist similar to Volgin. I thought Mother Base was going to called Outer Heaven. I wonder if the "friends in Cipher" is Ocelot and Eva. I like where Ground Zeroes is going and hope that it expands upon things that Peace Walker did. Recruiting soldiers, capturing vehicles, and r & d new technology to expand MSF.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By AuthenticM

@Zleunamme: The burnt guy is probably Zadornov, from Peace Walker. They are sporting the exact same uniform.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By ze_ro

Oh my god, oh my god, OH MY GOD!!!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#121  Edited By Marz

I like the minimal interface, hopefully it stays like that for the real game.

Nikzilla90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Nikzilla90

@ShiftyMagician said:

I can't believe a Metal Gear Solid game is going to release on PC. I honestly can't wait for this now. Fox Engine was surprisingly great to see in action. Definitely a better introduction than that Konami 'Conference' debut of its existence.

Did you not see the logos at the end? No PC logo, no PC release.

Running a PS3/X360 debug press demo on PC is very common (spoiler: all games are made on PCs). That doesn't guarantee anything, especially from Japan.

I love how people who don't make games can tell a game is next-gen or not. Spoiler: Consoles get better optimized tech each year and engines make all the difference (see: all the time spent on the FOX engine being compatible for PS3/X360 - herpderp).

PS. - The PS Blog already said it will run this on PS3.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Zleunamme

@AuthenticM: If anybody hasn't finished Peace Walker, do not read.

Unless he survived. Big Boss shots him in self-defense on the last capture Zadornov mission. Big Boss uses his prosthetic hand as a lighter at the end of the game.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By PillClinton

@Yummylee said:

Copying over my post from the other trailer thread, which for some reason was outright deleted rather than locked O.o

Well, fuck me. I always love MGS announcements, they're always such an event. At first I could barely believe the graphics, but then I remembered how every major MGS game is always top of the line graphically speaking. I specifically remember being absolutely, positively gob-smacked, and in fact didn't believe what I was seeing, when I first set my eyes on screenshots for MGS2. As for what little gameplay they shown, I really liked the smooth transition between crouched movement to crawling and... well, I guess that's there is to take from it really :P

That can't be the entire thing, though? I definitely recall hearing about a lot more gameplay footage from the 8-4 podcast.

Yup, I still think MGS3 is the best looking game from last gen on a technical level, and MGS4's one of the best of this gen, so it's no surprise this is as striking as it is. It's definitely some of the absolute best visuals I've seen running in real-time, and the transition from cutscene to in-control gameplay was literally perfect, something they just barely missed executing on in MGS4 in the first level of that when you first gain control.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly impressed.

@avantegardener said:

Wow, that looked totally dinosaurs.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Amazing looking. Really making me want to play Peace Walker now. The bit sized format of that game and boss battles don't sound very appealing but I think the story will be and it seems to tie right into this.

I'm starting to think more and more this may feature Solid Snake in addition to Big Boss. We will see though. I think the "Ground Zeroes" title implies some sort of duality.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#126  Edited By MachoFantastico

Reminded me how much I loved Kojima's use of music in his games, the song was perfect. Looked fantastic, could see it appearing on the current gen now that I've seen it however and at the end it states its for PS3 and Xbox 360.

Betting right here, they release special extended versions of this game for the next Xbox and PS4.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By shiftymagician

@Nikzilla90: Goddamit! Thanks for the correction. Teaches me to put too much faith on other comments here. I should have just assumed this. Well I have the consoles for it anyway so still interested to see how it turns out.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Milkman

What I'm about to say is probably going to make a lot of people very angry but... 

More like MGS 4, less like MGS 3 please. 

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#129  Edited By Mikey2D

I share alot of people's opinion that firstly this looks amazing! The fox engine is producing some incredible visuals here. I always loved in MGS 4 the smooth transition from cutscene to gameplay so i'm glad this is still present. Easily one of the most anticipated games for me right now.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By SaFt

@emem said:

9 years without a Metal Gear game on the PC and now there are two coming, that's pretty nice.

Two? What have i missed?

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By emem
    @SaFt said:

@emem said:

9 years without a Metal Gear game on the PC and now there are two coming, that's pretty nice.

Two? What have i missed?

Hmmm Rising?
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#132  Edited By probablytuna

I am a believer of the Fox engine.

MySpaghet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By MySpaghet

Fuck Yes! I think Kojima would be a totally kick ass film director, this game looks epic!

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#134  Edited By Mnemoidian

Yep. I'm ready for more Metal Gear.

As much as I want to see what else Kojima could do (like ZoE, other stuff), I'm really excited for more Metal Gear.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By SaFt

@emem said:

@SaFt said:

@emem said:

Two? What have i missed?

Hmmm Rising?

Oh alright, I wasn't aware that it was being released on the PC as well. That's great.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By dropabombonit

Looks insanely good. MGS3 is my favorite game of all time so can't wait for another game with that character and world. Also kind of neat that this seems to take place after PW because I loved that game too

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Red12b

@Maajin said:

This is great. Kojima does fanservice like no one else. Snake/Big Boss' reveal was amazing.

Also, I like how his face is modeled after old Big Boss' at the end of MGS4.

yeah man, looked fucking MEAN!

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#138  Edited By Nentisys

Amazing.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Heltom92

Damn I need to get round to playing Peace Walker, didn't like it on PSP due to the controls but I have the HD version on PS3 now.

This looks incredible, MGS is possibly my favorite video game series ever.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By leebmx

Man Kojima knows exactly how to keep his fans in a state of frothing frenzy. The only people who come close in that respect are Rockstar. Just thought it was wonderful, especially as Metal Gear has always been a series who's ideas were way ahead of the tech available at the time. The stealth stuff is always fun, but really held back by the gameyness it needed to work on the PS1/2. MGS4 started to get the gameplay being really absorbing so I can'rt wait to see what an open world does to the series.

Also this just makes me even more desperate and excited for the new consoles. I'm putting money aside from now.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
    deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

really cool looking game, but i just would want to play as Solid Snake again, oh well, maybe with another prequel then. maybe they make a sequel to this one where Snake infiltrates to Outer Heaven to fight Big Boss.

MGS5 & GTA5 next year :)

atleast i have the HD collection to keep me busy till this is out..

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@AuthenticM said:

@realph said:

The graphics are not next-gen. It's running on a PC speced similarly to the PS3 and 360. That's what's making it impressive.

You really believe the PC they're using to show this stunning game is specced similarly to the PS3 and 360? 5-7 year old RAM, CPU and GPU? Then why not use a PS3/360 to show it?

Clearly they're pulling the same old trick that was used for Battlefield 3, Watch_Dogs and other next-gen-looking games: Run it on a PC to make it look real nice and emphasize on the fact that it's a console game for current gen consoles, which is an indirect way of making people think the console versions will look as good, and they do believe it, hence the hype in this thread.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#143  Edited By Pie

@AhmadMetallic said:

@AuthenticM said:

@realph said:

The graphics are not next-gen. It's running on a PC speced similarly to the PS3 and 360. That's what's making it impressive.

You really believe the PC they're using to show this stunning game is specced similarly to the PS3 and 360? 5-7 year old RAM, CPU and GPU? Then why not use a PS3/360 to show it?

Clearly they're pulling the same old trick that was used for Battlefield 3, Watch_Dogs and other next-gen-looking games: Run it on a PC to make it look real nice and emphasize on the fact that it's a console game for current gen consoles, which is an indirect way of making people think the console versions will look as good, and they do believe it, hence the hype in this thread.

You think the hype in this thread is really only to do with the graphics?

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#144  Edited By FilipHolm

@Milkman said:

What I'm about to say is probably going to make a lot of people very angry but... More like MGS 4, less like MGS 3 please.

I actually agree on some level. The directing and gameplay in MGS4 was superior in my opinion (and yes I like the 90 minute cut-scenes). However, MGS3 has to me the best atmosphere and most interesting setting. So a mix of the two would be kind of a good idea.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Nottle

@Milkman said:

What I'm about to say is probably going to make a lot of people very angry but... More like MGS 4, less like MGS 3 please.

It really depends on what you mean by that. MGS4 had better controls than the rest of the series and some interesting mechanics, but I think it was lacking in terms of its environment and what they did with some of the characters. Compared to the jungles of Russia, MGS4 doesn't hold up.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#146  Edited By GunstarRed

Oh, wow that is impressive looking. Kojima sure knows how to shoot beautifully composed cutscenes.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By EchoEcho

As great as the graphics are (considering it's being made for current gen consoles), the animation during the gameplay segment kind of took me out of it. The way he was squirming around on the side of that incline couldn't look any less realistic. Hopefully that is something that next-gen consoles will help to fix. If a guy is crawling up the side of a hill, I want his weight to shift accordingly, and his movements to adjust to accommodate the incline -- not only in cutscenes, but in actual gameplay.

Keep in mind, I'm not a particularly big fan of the MGS series; I watched this video more out of curiosity for the FOX Engine than for the game, hence that's the thing I'm commenting on.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#148  Edited By Mendelson9
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By emem
    @SaFt said:

@emem said:

@SaFt said:

@emem said:

Two? What have i missed?

Hmmm Rising?

Oh alright, I wasn't aware that it was being released on the PC as well. That's great.

Hehe yeah, seems to make sense for Konami (I guess the publisher is the deciding factor? I'm not sure about that) right now. I hope they and everyone else will keep releasing PC versions of their games when the next console generation is out.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#150  Edited By jakob187

HEY, LOOK! IT'S A NEW ENGINE SHOWN OFF ONLY THROUGH CINEMATICS!

-_______-

Putting my general "meh" feeling for the entirety of the MGS franchise (except 3, which was pretty good), I hate it when developers/publishers show off a new engine with goddamn cinematics. Watch Dogs was a much better example of showing off an engine because it was full-on GAMEPLAY! I want to see what the engine can do in a real gameplay situation.

Then again, this IS a Metal Gear Solid game...which means it's 25 hours of cinematics and 30 minutes of gameplay, right? Seems appropriate, I guess.

Anyways, y'all can get back to your fanboy pants-pissing. I'm done shitting on the parade.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.