Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

900p/60fps on Xbox One, 1080p/60fps on Ps4.

• 63 results
    VictorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By VictorK

I own both a Ps4 and an Xbox One. I like them both.

I do prefer the xbox controller. However, I would like to play the console version that has the highest resolution. But, with some games I find that my Ps4 gets quite loud.

When I play Battlefield 4, Far Cry 4 and GTA 5 it is quiet. When I play The Witcher 3 and Infamous Second Son it gets too loud.

I actully ended up buying The Witcher 3 on Xbox One as well just because my Ps4 got so loud in some areas of the game. I want to listen to the game's music and sounds, not the whirring fan of my Ps4 even though I use headphones.

What console will you be buying The Phantom Pain on? As of right now, I am not sure.

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/jp/products/compare.php5

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

PS4.

richied0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

PS4. I'm half trying to talk myself into throwing a few new bits in my PC and going that way now they've bumped the date, but at the moment. PS4.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

PS4. Missed out on the collector's edition (one with all of the awesome stuff, including a model of Snake's robotic arm), but still have a copy of the Day One Edition coming on the 1st. Would get the game on PC (so I could have better settings/try mods), but I don't have a gaming PC as of now to be able to play it.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kasaioni
    No Caption Provided

I thought this was the whole thing about the Xbox One when it first came out. I don't think anyone is surprised by this. That being said, there are other reasons to own an Xbox One; right now most of them being the exclusive line-up it has going for it.

PC son (left, PS4 right), get bodied.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The only reasonable thing you can do is wait for a thorough comparison between the versions of the game. Digital Foundry is your best bet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

900pv60 steady is better than 1080pv60 unsteady. So if the resolution is better but the framerate is more variable, the 1080p is less preferable. The difference between 1080p and 900p isn't really that noticeable.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By zombie2011

These threads are just fanboy bait.

Buy it on Xbox, you just said you bought The Witcher 3 on PS4 then ended up buying it again on Xbox because the PS4 was to loud. Unless you want to buy the game twice just get it on Xbox.

VictorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: That is the most reasonable thing to do. I have looked forward to playing this for a couple of years now. I can wait a few more days after release in order to see Digital Foundrys comparison.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy it on the system you're likely to play more. Or scout your friends out and see where they're getting it on.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're going to be this concerned about framerate and resolution, why even buy a console version at all?

VictorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VictorK

@horseman6: Ground Zeroes was 1080p/60fps on Ps4. It had a rock solid framerate. That game only consisted of a small island however. Ground Zeroes on Xbox One was 720p/60fps. It also had a rock solid frame rate, but obviously quite a lot lower resolution.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I thought we were done making a big deal about this stuff. It was a hot topic back when the consoles first came out, and then it seemed like everyone (thankfully) figured out that while the PS4 is indeed the slightly more powerful console, the differences in reality are pretty nominal. Also, as @hippie_genocide mentioned, anyone who takes this shit really seriously should just buy a high-end PC.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought we were done making a big deal about this stuff. It was a hot topic back when the consoles first came out, and then it seemed like everyone (thankfully) figured out that while the PS4 is indeed the slightly more powerful console, the differences in reality are pretty nominal. Also, as @hippie_genocide mentioned, anyone who takes this shit really seriously should just buy a high-end PC.

True, but then you have to worry about the possibility of a shitty port.

I have a high-end PC and all the consoles, so this is going to be a tough decision.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many hairs getting split.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a PS4 and no XB1 so obviously it will be the PC.

GenghisFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide said:

If you're going to be this concerned about framerate and resolution, why even buy a console version at all?

Not enough cash for a PC?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Impressed it's still 60 FPS. I was kinda worried the bigger areas (relative to GZ) would mean it'd be dropped. Good on them, that's impressive. Even if, at some level, I guess it is still a PS3/360 game too.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked the perfect time to build a new PC, haha.

@jsnyder82: Barring a few minor issues, Ground Zeroes was a near perfect port. You couldn't use your mouse in the menus and the sensitivity was too high when you used a scope, but other than that it played and ran perfectly. They solicited a lot of feedback and implemented quite a few changes for the PC version of TPP, so I wouldn't worry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assuming it's nearly as well optimized as Ground Zeroes(which given the almost identical system requirements, I'm guessing it will be), I'll be getting the PC version. It'll feel weird playing a Metal Gear Solid game on not a Playstation, but not weird to enough to stop me from playing the better looking version.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iceman228433

who cares pc version for me.

Professorreid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-ps4xbox-one-re/1100-6429559/

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@victork: I'm not sure if anyone has seen it here, but I believe, as it has been updated in English, it says the final product will be 1080p, though perhaps through upscale. It doesn't read like it's an upscale, but more like what is shown is currently 900p, and what's in the final product will be 1080p. I'm not entirely sure what it means inside the parenthesis, but it says under the Xbox One version as comparisons, "the final output 1080p". For me personally, I have a One and PS4, but alongside the whole visual thing, I align MGS more with PlayStation, so I am getting Phantom Pain on the PS4. I like both controllers just the same, so that's not an issue either way.

No Caption Provided

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read "Final output" as what is shown on TV and NOT that the final release of the game will be native 1080. But then the old consoles have the "scaling internally" so not really sure what it means.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By atomicoldman

I got it for free thanks to a Nvidia deal, but also bought the CE off my buddy for the PS4. PC would be my preference but for all I know that thing will be busted as hell at launch, so at least I'll have a PS4 copy as a back up.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Impressed it's still 60 FPS. I was kinda worried the bigger areas (relative to GZ) would mean it'd be dropped.

Yeah, at least the 60 FPS is being maintained. If I had a choice I'd much rather take a slightly lower resolution but keep a higher, more stable frame rate than end up with a 30 FPS game and 1080p. But I mean, this is part of the reason why I don't own consoles anymore, I don't want to have to compromise on image quality, resolution, or frame rate. I want it all.

900p and 1080p may end up being pretty close visually anyway. As long as the frame rate is stable at 60, I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC because if graphics are gonna matter to me, I'm going to make them matter. Also it's probably going to be cheapest on PC because of Nvidia codes.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AlexW00d
    @ntm said:

@victork: I'm not sure if anyone has seen it here, but I believe, as it has been updated in English, it says the final product will be 1080p, though perhaps through upscale. It doesn't read like it's an upscale, but more like what is shown is currently 900p, and what's in the final product will be 1080p. I'm not entirely sure what it means inside the parenthesis, but it says under the Xbox One version as comparisons, "the final output 1080p". For me personally, I have a One and PS4, but alongside the whole visual thing, I align MGS more with PlayStation, so I am getting Phantom Pain on the PS4. I like both controllers just the same, so that's not an issue either way.

No Caption Provided

I dunno, to me final output implies it's being rendered at 900, but will be output to the TV at 1080, so upscaled. But it could be a bad translation? Also wtf this has a PS3 release?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, the PC version has a max of 60 FPS? That sucks.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: Ground Zeroes was the same way. They tied a few parts of the simulation to the frame rate which is super dumb but at least it isn't locked to 30 like some PC ports have been in the past.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be buying the Xbox One version. I have both consoles but for the most part I prefer playing on my One and my PS4 is used for Sony exclusives and indie stuff that doesn't make the jump to Microsoft's ecosystem. I'm sure both versions will be fine, I'm no expert or anything but when it comes to the triple AAA releases so far, the differences between the Xbox and PS4 versions of game has been fairly minimal in my eyes, at least not enough to feel like I'm getting short changed for playing One versions of games.

I won't be getting the game on release though (spent my new game budget on that Fallout 4 pipboy) so I'll be able to find out before hand if there are any big differences, or if anything is terribly broken.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I have both PS4 and Xbox One. If I get MGS V, it'll be on the PS4. It's not any louder than my Xbox One, and while the resolution is better, the real reason is that I prefer the DS4 and hate the Xbox One controller.

I say you should probably go for the Xbox One version if you prefer that controller. Unless the performance is bad, go with what feels more comfortable.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By conmulligan

@alexw00d said:

@ntm said:

No Caption Provided

I dunno, to me final output implies it's being rendered at 900, but will be output to the TV at 1080, so upscaled. But it could be a bad translation? Also wtf this has a PS3 release?

Both the Xbox One and PS4 always output at 1080p, regardless of the game's internal framebuffer or the output resolution. So, even if you hook one up to a 720p display, the image you see on the screen will be 1080p downsampled to 720p. What that comparison chart text means is that the Xbox One version's internal framebuffer will be 900p, but the UI and output resolution will be 1080p.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@ntm said:

No Caption Provided

Both the Xbox One and PS4 always output at 1080p, regardless of the game's internal framebuffer or the output resolution. So, even if you hook one up to a 720p display, the image you see on the screen will be 1080p downsampled to 720p. What that comparison chart text means is that the Xbox One version's internal framebuffer will be 900p, but the UI and output resolution will be 1080p.

Yeah that's exactly what I just said. As opposed to the dude I was talking to who thought it could be that it meant the game was currently running at 900 but upon release would be 1080.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@alexw00d said:

Yeah that's exactly what I just said. As opposed to the dude I was talking to who thought it could be that it meant the game was currently running at 900 but upon release would be 1080.

Oh, yeah, I got that. I was agreeing with you!

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:

@jsnyder82: Barring a few minor issues, Ground Zeroes was a near perfect port. You couldn't use your mouse in the menus and the sensitivity was too high when you used a scope, but other than that it played and ran perfectly. They solicited a lot of feedback and implemented quite a few changes for the PC version of TPP, so I wouldn't worry.

Yeah, I have very little doubt that the PC version of this game will be good (although I really don't like the mouse issues in the Ground Zeroes port).

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting it on PC because because fuck numbers.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: Yeah, it's locked at 60. You can uncap it I think, but you have to go into the files.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: No idea. I like 60fps so I don't care. But every now and then I see people mentioning ways you might be able to uncap it. Google it.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:
    No Caption Provided

I thought this was the whole thing about the Xbox One when it first came out. I don't think anyone is surprised by this. That being said, there are other reasons to own an Xbox One; right now most of them being the exclusive line-up it has going for it.

PC son (left, PS4 right), get bodied.

Just watching the new MGS 5 30 min video from gamescom, you can clearly see from the video that the PS4 "screenshot" in this comparison is bullshit and looks much better than that.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Bocam

@Mike: That's how it was in GZ so I just people are thinking it'll just be the same

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol PC. Fucking consoles man

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasnake: No, it's accurate. It's just a close-up from this screenshot; just zooming in on the stuff that's far in the distance that you wouldn't really notice while playing.

No Caption Provided

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

@Mike: No idea. I like 60fps so I don't care. But every now and then I see people mentioning ways you might be able to uncap it. Google it.

Not every game is the same - some can't be uncapped at all for various reasons. Which is why I asked you how you knew for sure that MGSV could be uncapped over 60, since the game isn't even out yet. But you answered that question. Save the "google it" snark next time.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasnake: @kasaioni: I'm not sure if they took a 100% crop of that PS4 screenshot or what, but it's a bit unfair as the PC shot is at 4K and 99% of PCs won't be running it at that res.

@mirado said:

Yeah, I have very little doubt that the PC version of this game will be good (although I really don't like the mouse issues in the Ground Zeroes port).

They were a pain in the ass, yeah. You couldn't really snipe anyone at full zoom as you'd just bracket their head, but after seeing all of the little fixes in the gameplay demos (Snake doesn't snap straight up out of a dive, for example), I can't imagine they'd leave a major issue like that in place.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using your preferred controller sounds like it's more important for a hundred and something Ps unless you sit less than twelve inches from your TV.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

The only reasonable thing you can do is wait for a thorough comparison between the versions of the game. Digital Foundry is your best bet.

Reasonable? Wouldn't reasonable be to not care about such things in the first place?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: Sorry, I wasn't trying to be snarky. But people have found at least one way to uncap the frame-rate in Ground Zeroes. And therefore I think it is safe to assume that a similar method will be possible for The Phantom Pain.

But maybe it's unwise to assume that things that work for GZ will also work for TPP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.