Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

A few questions about the story (pleas explain some things to me)

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Richardqx

I 'finished' the game, yesterday. Well, the story was pretty interesting, though the gameplay was kinda generic, so i've turned it off after the credits and deleted it. I didn't 'bother' with chapter 2, just watched the ending cutscene of it on youtube, while i slept off. Yeah, i kinda rushed the playthrough. Had like 28% of overall completion.

Can you someone pleas be so kind and just somehow shortly tell me what happened in chapter 2 after the credits? I wonder what did the psycho kid with the infection tube? And who the f was the floating creep that sometimes arrived here and there? Was it also a skull? Who are the skulls anyway? Also explain me pleas the ending of ch. 2. I've seen it on the internet and it's confusing me.

If anyone will give me the answers, i'll be very glad. Thank you and cheers! *lifts up a cup of a coffee ^_^

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

The floating creep was Psycho Mantis as a child. Unless there was another floating creep? The ending of Chapter Two reveals that Punished Snake is actually a surgically altered foot soldier of Naked Snake's militia designed to perpetuate the fearsome image of Big Boss across the world while the actual Big Boss pulled the strings from on high. Any more of that plot and I'd have to look the game up on Wiki, which I'm sure you've done by now, but that's the gist of it from what I remember. In other words, you really get the impression MGS V could've been a really neat MGS game if it had more time or passion from Konami behind it; thank God it was such a fantastic action game.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wait...you were impressed by the story but not the gameplay?

I thought it played fantastically while the story felt slapdash...

Anyhow, lots of small localized stories, but the big reveal mentioned above is the crux of it. There were some great moments here and there, the infection breaking out was well done, if you want to look up those scenes.

As for the main plot, from what I recall, Punished Snake is revealed to be the medic from the chopper crash. He received surgery to look like Big Boss. Ismail was the real Big Boss.

Big Boss went to found the real Mother Base (that of Metal Gear 2), leaving Punished Snake to found the Mother Base from the original Metal Gear. I want to say Kaz is unaware of this deception, that that Ocelot hypnotizes himself into believing it.

The game ends, as you saw, with Punished Snake being Metal Gear 1 Big Boss as Solid Snake is closing in (during the events of Metal Gear).

It's a nice idea, and does an admirable job of attempting to apply modern logic to 80s video game logic. It's just a little goofy. In typical Kojima fashion, he does a better job with his convoluted story than he should be able to do.

I may be remembering some of this wrong, so feel free to correct me...

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@richardqx: There were some ends left untied due to Konami shoving Kojima out the door before Part 3 could be finished (allegedly), including an entire final boss battle with the Sahelanthropus one last time. I'll try to summarize the points:

• The Skulls unit were super-soldiers under XOF who willingly gave themselves to the parasites in order to gain superpowers, at the cost of their humanity.
    • The Floating Boy was The Third Child, strongly implied (but not explicitly confirmed) to be a young Psycho Mantis, not a member of the Skulls but the psychokinetic product of a cruel Soviet experiment who later killed his captors and was drawn to incredible rage. This explains (sorta) how he ended up following The Man On Fire, and later Eli.
    • After the rescued child soldiers & Eli repaired the Sahelanthropus and escaped to an island somewhere (which led to Emmerich being exiled), the Floating Boy (I think?) released the English parasites across the island, as they would only kill adults and not children who hadn't matured yet.
    • Both XOF and the Diamond Dogs tried to race to the island to finish things, XOF so they could get a sample of the parasites and DD so that they could finish the threat for good. Eli piloted the Sahelanthropus to destroy them both. After a lengthy boss fight (which is only shown in concept art because the team was unable to finish the gameplay in time), Snake ends up shooting Eli due to his head being unable to distinguish between certain colored HAZMAT suits.
    • Eli turns out to have had a bulletproof vest, but without the suit to protect him apparently he is old enough to have been infected by the parasites. The Diamond Dogs carry the destroyed mech away and prepare to napalm the island to finish off the parasites. Snake gives Eli a gun with one bullet and offers him a way out.
    • After DD leave, Eli considers shooting himself until the Floating Boy reappears and psychically rips the parasites from his throat, and then magically teleports them both off the island before the napalm hits.
    • In the official credits (and probably afterward?), Ocelot and Miller realize that their views are at odds with each other, and after the Big Boss reveal decide to each train one of his genetic sons to carry on the Boss's legacy and/or destroy the other. Meanwhile, Venom Snake (the main character) realizes that he is now just as much Big Boss as the real Big Boss, and sets off the chain of events that leads to the first Metal Gear.
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to know what happens in chapter 2 then just play it or watch the scenes?...

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you guys. Especially to DocHaus ^_^

nutter - yeah, the story was well done, imo. Very cinematic cutscenes, interesting events, mysterious plot. The gameplay was also great, though it felt - mainly the side ops - kinda repetitive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.