Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Assuming it gets made, what should MGS6 be about?

AgentZigzag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By AgentZigzag

Poll Assuming it gets made, what should MGS6 be about? (226 votes)

World War 2. You play as The Boss 16%
    Big Boss Building Outer Heaven 26%
    Re-Telling of Metal Gear 1 & 2 26%
    Rise of Liquid Snake and Foxhound 13%
    Something awesome where you play as Ocelot 11%
    Something futuristic (post MGS4) 12%
    They should just stop now 31%
    All these ideas are stupid 11%
     • 
    chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By chroipahtz

Big Boss building Outer Heaven + the rise of Liquid and Foxhound. Basically what everyone thought the latter half of MGSV would be, but wasn't.

But the real answer is "they should stop now", since a non-Kojima Metal Gear ain't no Metal Gear at all.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Either Big Boss building Outer Heaven or Snake and Otacon in the early days of Philanthropy. Although at this point I don't want another MGS if it's not done by Kojima, or at least if he doesn't give a potential sequel is glowing, explicit recommendation.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? I'm not finished it yet but I reckon the next logical step is a Metal Gear reboot, seeing as Kojima's made no attempt to lead V into the MSX games.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this is the fourth topic about this. My answer remains the same: Ocelot, between MGS2 and 4, putting together his crazy private armies and setting the stage with EVA to pull down The Patriots.

Motherfucker's too cool to not get his own game. Hell, Raiden was the star in two of them, and that's just a crime...even if Revengence was kind of awesome in a really dumb way.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was through with the series after 4 I think. I still haven't played V and I'm not sure I want to.

However, I say throw caution to the wind, put it a hundred years into the future with entire armies of cloned past MGS characters vying for control over the solar system. Give it some Elite: Dangerous flight mechanics with an open-solar-system world, but make the plot linear and have boatloads of stupendously long, insane cutscenes that mix live action with CG and can't be skipped or paused. Have Kojima make it and give him the entirety of Japan's gross national product for budget, but give him a strict time limit of five years or we'll never see release. Booya!

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally would want Metal Gear Rising 2 : The Revengeoning. From those choices, they all sound cool but something with Ocelot sounds great.

Something with The Boss from WW2 would be interesting. If Kojima was still the in the picture, I'd be curious on how he would portray the Nazis. Something ultra campy or deadly serious with some weird occult powers thrown in.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

In another timeline, Kojima would somehow hire that Italian team that did the "Philanthropy" short film (trilogy before Konami's lawyers found out about it) and re-do it in the form of a game.

In this timeline, probably best to just let the series die and let the Metal Gear nerds argue about what is and isn't canon.

redking56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These all sound like fan made game sequels, Kojima has always avoided doing the "normal" thing apart from MGS4 which is mostly because he needed to give some sort of conclusion. The only one that seems possibly like a good idea is a The Boss prequel but I don't think that would get a numbered entry and it would need to be about dispelling the myth of her just like what's happened to Big Boss but then it seems like a bit of a redundant story to tell when V has pretty much already covered that concept.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raiden.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I think it would be awesome to be Solid Snake working in Fox Hound under Big Boss. Lots of the beginning is training but then it the events of MG1 and the final act is set sometime later with you ending the franchise with a retelling of MG2. Then, no more Metal Gear games. EVER.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to make Metal Gear Solid 5 first

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A pachislot machine with 20 minute long cutscenes

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me all the Ocelot!!!

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just continue with Metal Gear Rising and remaking the MSX games. That's probably the best way for Konami to continue the series without getting too much heat.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, they couldn't even properly finish MGS5, so I think they're done. Hell, they SHOULD be done.

clovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't you mean MGS5 and them just referring to the last game as MGS"Vee" per Jeff's suggestion on the spoilercast

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have to make Metal Gear Solid 5 first. ;)

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't want anymore Metal Gear Solid. Just make something new. I like all the games but I don't really want to explore any of the smaller facets of the story. It's been pretty well covered.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's the option for pulling the lever?

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Re-telling of NES-era Metal Gear 1 and 2 would be great, but only if Kojima is involved. Without him, they should just stop.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Only if Kojima is involved.

A game about Foxhound and/or The Bosses Cobra unit.

steellasagna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By steellasagna
    No Caption Provided

I'd just really love a game that featured the old, awesome FOXHOUND logo.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By monkeyking1969

I don't want another game, Kojima did his opus.

But let's say they give it to another studio to make another game outside of Konami....

1) Start a new chapter with a new Foxhound member as protagonist in an alternate reality. (Call it a reboot if you like, but really it just a restart that leaves the past in place but nevere referenced it in this new reality)

2) I think they choose "five" things that are in their minds as "Metal Gear". Thing that want to bring over as ideas that won't change....my choice would be i.giant robots ii.animal code words iii.sneaking and camouflage iv.codec communications v.story of a soldier.

3) Make a new protagonist. To be honest I think the more you try to copy Snake/Pliskin/BigBoss the harder the job to make a new character. So let's go flip the script - Female and British, not male and American. (Sorry, likely can't be Japanese because I doubt a Japanese developer would EVER do that. Russian, Chinese, etc is sort of on the nose. And nobody but Wolverine or Michael J Fox is Canadian! )

4) Ironically, Metal Gear was always supposed to be about "a solider", but he was always acting like a spy and NEVER like a soldier. That unexplained disconnect is sort of funny....so keep that as a gag. Maybe the game is about sending a female, british analyst into a warzone. They keep saying "Well she is the ultimate analyst" and "She is our best analyst" but she is still just popping people with headshots and jamming a knife in the enemies windpipe.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remake the MSX games in the fox engine. Come on, MGSV leads right into it. do it do it do it

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still bummed that Metal Gear Solid: Rising game where Jack rescued Sonny and was transformed into a cyborg never came together. Could have been interesting.

I've also read about early ideas for game about Grey Fox that covers the time between MG2 and MGS1. Think that game potentially could fill out story details about people like Dr. Clark and Naomi that are still kind of tenuous and undeveloped in the series.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Boss, pre-everything.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Gimme Ocelot behind the scenes... ALL OF IT!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e83e1ada625d
    deactivated-5e83e1ada625d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The adventures of Kojima, as he becomes embroiled in the dangerous socio-political conflict of indie games, and establishes his rogue mercenary group, Developpeurs Sans Frontieres.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After listening to some of the truth tapes I'd love to see a game based on the boss's exploits with her cobra unit.

secretfort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendogs clone/Harcore Mushing Simulator about Snake and his 50 huskies up in Alaska between MG2 and MGS1. Sometimes Campbell or some other government guy will call you on the phone but you always hang up on them.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Pachinko.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Boss, everything else doesn't really matter. Arguably the building of Outer Heaven barely has any story to it, and even if it did we got a version of that story with MGSV.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

The correct answer is they should end it now.

My heart still says "I want a game where you play as The Boss and win WWII".

Logistically, if they were to make another game it would have to be the real game about Big Boss. The formation of FOXHOUND, the formation of Outer Heaven, etc. But because of the whole twist with Venom Snake and all that, we need two games to tell that damn story when we only needed one. Also, while it wasn't the best put together thing in the world, the morale was the single man of Big Boss is just a symbol, Venom Snake was very much as Big Boss as Big Boss himself, etc. etc. So with that thought in mind, you're going to go ahead and say "Ok, now that the fake Big Boss's story is out of the way, here's the real Big Boss." That whole thing is just messy.

Which all comes back around to how there just shouldn't be another game.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well first, it should be called Metal Gear Solid 5

But yeah, End it Now is probably the correct option.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make two games and make sure they don't have a "6" after the name.

The first game would be a re-telling of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2. Running on Fox Engine, having in mind the retcons but keeping it as faithful to the original games as possible.

Then they should do the Metal Gear Rising we were promised back in 2009: a proper fast paced Metal Gear game running on Fox Engine and telling the story of Raiden from MGS2 to MGS4. Not that Platinum Games nanomachines-son-soul-of-solid-snake-in-my-sword over the top bullshit, please.

And, obviously, keep it all in Kojima's hands. Even if he didn't direct these two, he could be a producer and watch for them.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much a remake of MG 1&2.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BasketSnake

How about going back to the top down mgs1 pac-man style angle and work the gameplay around that. Make it old-school but update the graphics and make the gameplay more complex and with more ideas than in 1. Do a bigger, better mgs1. Not as a new mgs 6, just a new metal gear game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.