Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Big new update to MGSV's FOB mode

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By N7

They recently added a new update to MGSV which adds all sorts of stuff. EU and Japan got it yesterday but the one and only guy who manages the North American PSN was sleeping or something so we got it late last night. There is a patch AND a mandatory download from the PSN for both MGSV and MGO if you want to access the game.

The FOB side of the update is stacked with the ability to place mines and cameras freely on your FOB's. In order to access this ability you must develop the camera placement gun and the mine placement gun(Is it a gun?) which takes 3 days real time to develop. Or, you can speed it up with roughly 400MB coins each. *Barf*.

What the option looks like in Security Settings.

No Caption Provided

Also in the new update is a huge list of challenges that gives rewards like tons of GMP, vehicles, weapon placements, and soldiers. Lots and lots of soldiers. The good news is the list of challenges are retroactive, meaning if you've previously completed them, you will be able to reap the rewards immediately.

The list of challenges I have retroactively completed(Originally much bigger but I'm maxed on GMP right now so I'm going to save them).

No Caption Provided

A list of challenges I've yet to complete.

No Caption Provided

There is also an event running right now under FOB Mission - Event that allows you to go up against an NPC FOB in order to obtain event points that you will be able to cash in for new things like fatigue camo, new weapon camo, new emblems and new "nameplates", but as of now the nameplates portion of the rewards aren't active so we can't get them. Oh, and more soldiers. You can spend your points to get some S, S+, and S++ ranked soldiers.

No Caption Provided

New pink camo(It's not a phase ma, I swear).

No Caption Provided

New leafy camo.

No Caption Provided

But it's not just Snake that gets the new camo, Mother Base also gets to join in on the fun. There are supposed to be new colors as well as camos but there is only one right now, and it looks terrible like this.

Better late than never, another new feature is the ability to support friends from your actual friends list, and not from just random people on the lists in game. This is great, and is only going to add to the longevity of the game, but wow this feature really missed its mark. I mean none of my friends even play this anymore.

No Caption Provided

One of the most interesting additions is the idea of a "Security Challenge". If you think your FOB is good enough, you can place yourself on the Security Challenge list, which opens you up to endless infiltrations. Unlike normal infiltrations that doesn't alert you until the invader gets caught or causes damage to your base, this will alert you right away and allow you to defend. Even better, there's no risk of retaliation in this mode whatsoever. The downside is, this is still a real infiltration. So they can still take your stuff. But you do get higher rewards for completing them as attacker and defender, making it worth a try.

No Caption Provided

You also can now play as Raiden and Gray Fox in FOB, which was previously disabled. You are thus able to utilize their lightning fast running speed to your advantage.

Other things are coming later this month, like new high grade weapons and an event centered around fighting the Skulls Unit on an FOB. There are other things like miscellaneous fixes but nothing too major. They have also allowed the purchase of a 4th FOB, but the resources and GMP required to level that up is so insane that I'd wager it'd take a whole month just to complete it.

There was also an update to MGO but I haven't had a lot of time to get into it so I can't say for certain how much it improves. But I do hear they are talking about new maps(Mother Base was shown in one example) and new modes, like Survival. Which, in the last MGO, was a weekly team-based elimination mode where you get big rewards for beating teams and remaining undefeated. It was also extremely challenging and tense. So we'll see how that goes.

EDIT: The images went nuts and completely disappeared/disappear every time I edit them so the formatting might seem a little nuts. I tried to make it look all pretty and stuff but that's just not happening. So, my bad and stuff.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

It's kinda wild how much support this game has actually gotten post release. It's just a shame that it's been coupled with some of the worst micro transactions in a $60 game. It could really have been the GOTG, now it's just a really great game.

Also "Smokeweed420_420" is the most generic ass username I have ever seen.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragon_puncher: I agree. I am most surprised by the MGO support. It seemed doom and gloom when they fired the entire staff that built it, but it seems like the people who handled all other iterations of MGO are now in charge of this, and are also trying to get it back to where MGO2 was. Which is a much needed improvement over what we have now.

Also the OP won't let me add in what the Mother Base camo looks like so I'll try it here. If you don't see an image, I tried and failed again.

No Caption Provided

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I'm almost afraid to see how much of my shit is gone after a few months away from the game. Not that it really matters at this point...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I dunno. I came back after 6 weeks and had 5,000,000 GMP. Cashing in your challenges (there should be a 'cash all' option) will net you lots of EVERYTHING. And my heroism's at a point where fultoning is just for shits and giggles.

More importantly, I still don't have to engage with FOBs beyond boosting staff numbers. Defaulting the deployment missions to show online first is a little naughty but now they display times for things up front.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShadyPingu

Nice to see such thorough post-release support, but how could they not have integrated our Friends Lists into the FOB defense from day one? That's just unfathomable to me.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, the vast majority of the challenges relate to the campaign.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mirado

Well, they finally fucking did it. Too bad most of BSF (myself included) hasn't played in months, but I guess it's better late than never, even if the whole FOB mode would have been massively improved if you could have supported your friends from the start.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:

Well, they finally fucking did it. Too bad most of BSF (myself included) hasn't played in months, but I guess it's better late than never, even if the whole FOB mode would have been massively improved if you could have supported your friends from the start.

Yeah I hear ya

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the first time they have given out new colors and camo for FOB missions? I saw about this earlier and it got me interested. I'll probably try to earn these.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7 said:

The FOB side of the update is stacked with the ability to place mines and cameras freely on your FOB's.

Fuck yeah, looks like I'm getting back into MGSV.

In order to access this ability you must develop the camera placement gun and the mine placement gun(Is it a gun?) which takes 3 days real time to develop. Or, you can speed it up with roughly 400MB coins each. *Barf*.

Oh ok well nevermind

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:

I think you could probably drum up interest again once MGO launches, since that would be the main thing that gets a bunch of people back into it.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomicoldman: Yeah, that's my plan, although I have no idea how good MGO actually is, or how long Konami plans to do anything with it that isn't microtransaction based.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kasaioni

I think the in-game achievement/reward thing is actually a really good edition. The problem is that I've completed most of them already. And yeah, they are 90% to do with single player, so that's nice.

Also the NPC FOB invasion with the mission tasks is pretty fun. They always make in doable for the average player I think; it's not a difficult as most real FOBs are.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:

I'm almost afraid to see how much of my shit is gone after a few months away from the game. Not that it really matters at this point...

Yeah I kind of have to play every once in a while because people will just start jacking my shit. I lost like 50 people in my security team once so I had to grind out a couple of FOB's to get my security back to an S rank. I like to play FOB but it really sucks when I kind of don't want to but have to or else people will continually take my shit.

@n7 said:

The FOB side of the update is stacked with the ability to place mines and cameras freely on your FOB's.

Fuck yeah, looks like I'm getting back into MGSV.

In order to access this ability you must develop the camera placement gun and the mine placement gun(Is it a gun?) which takes 3 days real time to develop. Or, you can speed it up with roughly 400MB coins each. *Barf*.

Oh ok well nevermind

Yeah I hear you. I was most excited to place this shit in random spots to see if I could fix up my base. But no. I gotta wait or spend some MB coins.

@kasaioni said:

I think the in-game achievement/reward thing is actually a really good edition. The problem is that I've completed most of them already. And yeah, they are 90% to do with single player, so that's nice.

Also the NPC FOB invasion with the mission tasks is pretty fun. They always make in doable for the average player I think; it's not a difficult as most real FOBs are.

They are doing these special events and challenges where they give away a bunch of soldiers to try and get people to buy the new 4th(Or even just a second, or third) FOB slot. They are literally giving away hundreds of soldiers for new players when they beat a certain set of missions, then they are doing these challenges which also give away hundreds of soldiers. And then the FOB event allows you to buy all the way up to S++.

It kind of sucks because the MB level limit used to be 99, but now it goes all the way up to 118, maybe even more. So it's presumably impossible to get high enough with the standard FOB, or even a second one. I mean I've got a mostly maxed out second FOB and I only got to 101.

@dan_citi said:

Is this the first time they have given out new colors and camo for FOB missions? I saw about this earlier and it got me interested. I'll probably try to earn these.

Yes. The new camo looks like gift-wrapping though so it's not anything special. And as you can see, the MB camo is supposed to look "festive" but it has a lot of non-festive colors in it so it just looks weird.

@mirado said:

Yeah. I added like 70 people from that list before the game came out. I was ready to rock and roll with these people but nope. The game had other plans. Now no one really plays it anymore.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@n7: I actually deleted my save so I can do a new run in time for MGO. hopefully we can revive the BSF once more. Well, for PC players at least. I'm already dreading the hackers...

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:

@atomicoldman: Yeah, that's my plan, although I have no idea how good MGO actually is, or how long Konami plans to do anything with it that isn't microtransaction based.

Just my personal opinion, but I found MGO to be a real mixed bag. There's a lot of jank in setting up parties, and how lobbies function. If a host quits, the whole match ends, doesn't migrate or anything. Bounty hunter is really cool in concept, but then you get a lot of fuckwits who will kill high value targets that you're in the middle of fultoning out.

But hey, if it's BSF dudes, then I'd expect everyone knows enough about what they're doing that the latter shouldn't be an issue.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By N7

@atomicoldman: They actually fixed a bunch of stuff as of late. They added in Host Migration, for one. The only downside is when the host leaves you have to replay the entire round(But not game), so that could be too much for some people.

They added a lot of changes that I quite like. For instance, in Cloak and Dagger, when you tranq someone, they are down for a significant amount of time now as opposed to just 15 or so seconds. Which is super handy as it takes a lot of the immediacy out of the mode and allows you to take it at your own stealthy pace.

That said, they have completely nerfd every class that isn't Enforcer. I mean, it's nuts. Infiltrator dies in a few hits now and so it's impossible to do much. Enforcers are more resistant to things like stun grenades also. Not to mention they have 2 grenade launchers and 1 RPG now.

So, I mean, good on them for making positive change and whatnot. But my personal opinion of MGO is that the game is complete trash. Unless you want to play as a beeftank Enforcer and play Call of Duty Jr, then you are in for a treat. A janky, still-incomplete treat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.