Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Ending For the Game Might Be Incomplete (NO SPOILERS)

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RonGalaxy

Kotaku recently posted an article about how in the mgsv collectors edition bonus disc, there's a deleted scene that is actually very pivotal for the games ending, and the ending where it stands now leaves some stuff unanswered (this scene answers these questions).

I didn't read any further than that, but this info alone is making me super disappointed. Don't get me wrong, this game is amazing (so far), but could we be facing a destiny-esque controversy here? People keep talking about how the story is thin compared to other games in the series, could it be because story stuff was cut in favor of creating a complete gameplay experience? There are many reasons konami would want to do this, but I won't go into that because I'll look like a crazy conspiracy theorist.

Either way, this is unfortunate news and I wanted to see what everyone thought.

(I'm not gonna post the article in question because it does contain end game SPOILERS, so if you don't care about that stuff just go on kotaku and scroll down a bit and you'll find it).

Edit: changed the title to be less definite

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

1) Kotaku likes to be inflammatory.

2) Let's reserve judgment until we get there.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's not true. Saying any more would spoil it

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If that is the case I smell DLC shenanigans.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Fawkes

I would not be upset if there were more of this game in DLC form. Though I assume it's more likely Konami cut the budget or set a harsh deadline and some story ended up on the cutting room floor.

LarsHJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should you watch this stuff after the ending or the true ending?

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I am quite certain this isn't correct, but it is very had to express the reason for my conviction without spoiling anything. Let me put it this way, remember how in the beginning of the game, it says "Chapter 1: Revenge", and then seemingly never goes on to say "Chapter 2?" Well, it can.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The cut content is more to do with the wrap up for a certain character. It's unfortunate that it's not there, but the proper ending is still in the game.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spitznock

I have seen the true ending, and before I search out the deleted scene mentioned, I'll say I enjoyed the ending as it is.

-edit- And after watching the scene: Yeah, it would have been nice if that were in there just to offer closure for the associated characters. It's good that it's out there for people to hunt down should they desire to.

Avatar image for thefantasticfillip
    TheFantasticFillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The cut content moreso resolved a subplot in the game rather than the actual plot itself. The Phantom Pain's main through-line is complete.

That being said, I wish it wasn't cut, especially since it contained some more information for the future motivations of a certain series-crticial character. Also, the Boss battle it contained sounded outrageously fun.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By GaspoweR

@korwin said:

If that is the case I smell DLC shenanigans.

Well it was included in the Blu Ray bonus disc and it showed pretty much how that chapter was going to go down complete with cutscenes with unfinished assets and audio clips to go along with storyboards for scenes they weren't able to make into a cutscene and supplemented with text describing certain scenes and dialogue that didn't get recorded. It seems somewhat similar to what Naughty Dog did when they said there was a final scene that they ultimately cut out of The Last Of Us.

EDIT: Not to get too much into spoiler territory, the character in question's subplot that gets wrapped up in this cut chapter eventually ends up in a different game in the series anyways so regardless of whether we get closure on character or not, people who have played the previous games would already know where the character ends up eventually. :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.