Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Episode 11 Frustration; Or, Are All Fights Like This? (Minor spoilers)

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Nubster

So I accidentally wandered in to the fight with Quiet on my way to a side op. The fight was fine, but what bothered me was how insistent Miller and Ocelot were about either killing or saving her. Of course I wanted her on my team, so I opted for non-lethal. I spend twenty minutes sneaking up on her, only to find out CQC doesn't work AT ALL on her which was extremely frustrating. I spend the next hour gaming her routine and pecking away at her stamina with the tranq gun, and at the end of it, she just hops to the middle of the field and you get a kill-or-save choice.

So here's my question: do the rest of the boss fights follow the same pattern? Is it a MGS4 situation of just going full lethal until the defenselessness automatically kicks in at the end? Or will I benefit from picking a route and sticking to it the for the entire fight? Don't spoil any bosses or encounters for me, I just want to know whether I would be wasting my time or not.

Terin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I get the feeling that it's only an event built around Quiet. There hasn't really been a cast of boss characters introduced in MGSV like there have in other games. The only other things in the story that seem suited to boss fights are the Skulls, which seem more like a group of enemies than bosses, and the Metal Gear, which you wouldn't have to worry about stamina kills anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Quiet specifically you can use lethal weaponry and choose to not kill her at the end of the fight, for the rest of the fights where stamina is relevant, you will have to choose to focus on lethal or non-lethal.

Hopuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I punched, kicked and used the bionic arm punch to finish her. So unless you were specifically talking about grabs and throws or something, CQC does work on her.

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You can develop sniper rifles that use tranq rounds, so maybe have one of those if you want to go for the non-lethal route.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopuk said:

I punched, kicked and used the bionic arm punch to finish her. So unless you were specifically talking about grabs and throws or something, CQC does work on her.

Do punches and kicks only work with the bionic arm equipped? I tried to CQC her with the stun gun equipped and she eventually turned around and messed me up. I tried for a good fifteen or twenty seconds to no avail.

Hopuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster:

No, I didn't have the arm equipped for anything other than when I actually did that bionic running punch. I just ran to her while taking cover where I could, did some regular punches (or maybe it was a throw, I don't remember exactly) that made her fall on the ground at which point you can kick her. She then quickly escapes, often throwing a grenade behind her.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like that in all metal gear solid games except the first one

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

Easy way to beat Quiet if you find yourself facing her without an appropriate weapon: Mark her with your spotting scope, and then call in supply drops right on her head. Boink!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

@Mike said:

Easy way to beat Quiet if you find yourself facing her without an appropriate weapon: Mark her with your spotting scope, and then call in supply drops right on her head. Boink!

Co-signed. Just remember to KEEP HER BUSY while the supply drop falls or she will just dodge it.

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Also, D-Dog will automatically spot her if you get close enough.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently beating her non-lethally boosts her bond meter when she joins as your buddy, so there is at least some benefit to doing it that way.

Hopuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hopuk

@dudeglove said:

Just did this, had the exact same problem. How on earth did you manage to get close to her to pull off CQC?

I just scoped to listen to her humming and finding her location, then just ran towards her without caring if she noticed me. Just dive to cover or run behind obstructions when she is aiming directly at you. If you try to be too stealthy she will probably just switch locations before you get to her.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just did this, had the exact same problem. How on earth did you manage to get close to her to pull off CQC?

I dunno, but one attempt when I got her low on health she went and started dancing in a pool with rainbows and sparkles and junk, and you could probably sneak up on her there? I was too confused to do anything and tried to tranq her (it did not help), so I couldn't say for sure how well it'd work there.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Bocam

Just wait until Mission 40

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If you call in a supply drop on top of her, it will take out like half of her stamina. This is according to some forum post I don't know if it is true but I'd like to think its real.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

After trying the fight for a while it seemed like a pain to do non-lethally so I left the area and came back once I had a Tranq Sniper Rifle. The fight was pretty fun then.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@coolarman: totally works. It's how I did it. It takes two drops

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By handlas

Really didn't like this fight at all. I'll have to replay it for a S rank and put a supply drop on her head. Thanks for the advice. I used a stunning machine gun to take her out... was super tedious. I honestly didnt even know you could get close enough to CQC her. She seemed to know where I was at all times even when I crawled up to her.

I also stumbled into the fight, like you, while I was heading towards a Side-Op.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopuk said:
    @dudeglove said:

I just scoped to listen to her humming and finding her location, then just ran towards her without caring if she noticed me. Just dive to cover or run behind obstructions when she is aiming directly at you. If you try to be too stealthy she will probably just switch locations before you get to her.

This is exactly how I ended up beating her. Sprint and dive like a madman, and shoot her as soon as you're within range of the tranq gun. If you get close and she starts to sprint, clicking in the left stick will cause her to duck down and take aim. For me, it was a matter of memorizing her shot frequency, tapping the dive button a lot, and getting good at aiming the tranq gun very quickly. For a fight that so closely resembles The End, it's strange how much being stealthy will actually work against you.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Managed to S rank her mission by simply waiting for her sniper scope to glare, then taking long range sniper shots with non lethal rounds.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NTM

@the_nubster: That's actually exactly what I did as I wasn't sure if taking down her health (red) was going to kill her, though to coax her out, I at times used the sniper and shot her, or throw smoke in her general direction for her to move again in a better place. It was a fun battle, but perhaps more challenging and intense than it needed to be. I say challenging, not because I wasn't good at it, but because a couple of hits you will go down, and it's a long battle doing it just with the tranq. It felt like a really cool boss moment to me, just the way I played it, though it's too bad it was unnecessary. I hear you can just use the supply drop on her and get her down in two hits; not sure if that's true. And yeah, you can't CQC her, whether that be grabbing her, or holding her up, which would have been nice. I just got to Africa earlier before I quit, and I think I'm about 30 hours in.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@petiew said:

Apparently beating her non-lethally boosts her bond meter when she joins as your buddy, so there is at least some benefit to doing it that way.

Nah I did it non lethally and she still started from 0.

Also OP I really enjoyed the fight. Sneaking about, making my way up to her and just popping off tranq rounds worked fine. Took about 10 rounds, I think.

mattgriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I shot her once with my sniper rifle and then called into two air strikes. Fight was over in like a minute or two.

For a person named Quiet, her humming really gave away her positions.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By atomicoldman

@the_nubster said:

So I accidentally wandered in to the fight with Quiet on my way to a side op. The fight was fine, but what bothered me was how insistent Miller and Ocelot were about either killing or saving her. Of course I wanted her on my team, so I opted for non-lethal. I spend twenty minutes sneaking up on her, only to find out CQC doesn't work AT ALL on her which was extremely frustrating. I spend the next hour gaming her routine and pecking away at her stamina with the tranq gun, and at the end of it, she just hops to the middle of the field and you get a kill-or-save choice.

So here's my question: do the rest of the boss fights follow the same pattern? Is it a MGS4 situation of just going full lethal until the defenselessness automatically kicks in at the end? Or will I benefit from picking a route and sticking to it the for the entire fight? Don't spoil any bosses or encounters for me, I just want to know whether I would be wasting my time or not.

The kill her/don't kill her choice is in the cutscene afterwards. Whether or not you use lethal weaponry on her during the fight is irrelevant. Near and far as I can tell, there is no bonus for going non-lethal on bosses. With Quiet I used a normal damage dealing sniper rifle and got an S-rank. With a boss fight a ways later, I shot rockets and murdered a few normal soldiers by running them over with an APC, and still got an S-rank. It seems weird because MGS games have always put some perk in for going non-lethal against a boss, but it largely seems pointless to do so in TPP. Also, you can apparently just flee from most bosses and not even bother. That includes the fight with Quiet in episode 11, or so I'm told.

edit: if S-ranks are what you're shooting for with bosses, going lethal might actually be the preferred option, since completion time weighs more heavily than perfect stealth/no kills.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't need a sniper for quiet, i beat her with the tranq pistol. Thing you need to find out quick, is this isn't the end fight you have to move quick and run and jump from cover to cover and then get into position to hit her (you don't need a head shot just chip her down). Took a while and obviously i was frustrated before i found out her patterns and what i was meant to do.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Xeiphyer

Remember, just like Miller and Ocelot say, you don't have to fight her right away, you can always run past the area and come back later when you have better gear.

That being said, I took her down slowly with the tranq pistol, it was pretty slow. Wish I had read that you can use lethal sniper rifles and it won't kill her, my rifle definitely took down 1/3 of her HP with 1 shot...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xeiphyer said:

Remember, just like Miller and Ocelot say, you don't have to fight her right away, you can always run past the area and come back later when you have better gear.

That being said, I took her down slowly with the tranq pistol, it was pretty slow. Wish I had read that you can use lethal sniper rifles and it won't kill her, my rifle definitely took down 1/3 of her HP with 1 shot...

I heard lethal changes your relationship with her when you recruit her though, not sure how since i still can't use her yet

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.