Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Greg Miller to start Let's Play this week (MAJOR EDIT)

• 63 results
    Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/634047442967597056

Major warning for all. Miller will be begin his Let's Play series of MGS5 the SAME DAY that review embargo ends. You all have been warned.
    In addition, many sources are stating that there will be NO PRELOAD for the Steam version of the game. So that's fun.

In slightly better news, almost all of the people at the bootcamp right now are saying the game is amazing, with many citing an 8 hour play time and only 5-6% completion rates. Edit: Many are also mentioning that there are many twists and turns have already happened in those initial hours, so probably worth avoiding the Greg Miller stuff if you can. These are the final days people.

Two major edits, sorry, things were a bit unclear initially about this, my fault. This is why you shouldn't post right before you go to uni.

Edit 1: Though there is no official pre-load, apparently everyone who pre-ordered the game will be able to download and play right when the release date for New Zealand rolls around. Which is pretty damn early.
    Edit 2: Greg Miller will NOT be going through the hospital sequence. and will go ONLY up to the 5th Story Mission.

Incredibly sorry for the confusion.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

Really? Showing off that big of a chunk of a brand new game?

I mean, we did it with Deadly Premonition and Contradiction... but that seems a little bit much for a new huge game that's not even out yet.

Edit: Alright, after the initial post he went "nothing past mission five." I don't know what that means, but at least it's not the whole game.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, do not look at the replies to that tweet. Surprise surprise, people are horrible.

Avatar image for thunderstorm101
    thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems kinda of a weird move, if you actually cared about metal gear why would you watch this and spoil it for yourself before the games even out, and if you didnt care about metal gear why would you watch videos of it.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TravisRex

@a_e_martin:

I thought it was people already spoiling the game. I see now that it's just people being super mad.

An fyi to anyone worried about looking at the twitter link.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Am I the only person who gets more excited to play the game as more info/"spoilers" get out?

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z:

Nope. Spoilers or not, game play seems to be the key for this game. The story is just a bonus.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@a_e_martin: To be fair, MGS fans have good reason to mistrust Miller. If he's been talking about Alaskan field mice and mysteriously going silent whenever a Hind D appears, I'd have my hackles up too.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There is however pre load on PS4.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@devil240z: yeah, console versions have a pre-load. I'm torn, because I'd love to play at midnight but I like having physical discs.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nooooo chance I'm watching that... Damn, the internet is gonna be a minefield for over a week... I don't even wanna know the review scores but that's gonna be totally unavoidable.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have seen this posted on NeoGaf as well I am wondering why people are making such a big deal out of this. There are going to be 1000 other Lets Players on youtube doing the same thing.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wilshere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am getting off the internet until TPP comes out due to the inevitable spoiler spread. Thanks Greg!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I have seen this posted on NeoGaf as well I am wondering why people are making such a big deal out of this. There are going to be 1000 other Lets Players on youtube doing the same thing.

It's pretty easy to not get spoiled on a game when people start putting up Let's Plays the day the game comes out, because you can just play the game yourself. It's a lot harder when somebody gets to do a Let's Play ten days before the game comes out. Imagine if this had happened before MGS2, do you really think some asshole who watched the video wouldn't go around to message boards and twitter and stuff just spoiling the Raiden twist for everyone?

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
    deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Allow me to put on my conspiracy hat for a bit. I saw this post on Jeff's tumblr.

http://jeff.zone/post/127095425156/the-embargo-for-mgsv-is-august-23-will-you-have-a

Since it seems like nobody has a retail copy of the game. What if Greg only played an edited version of the final game? What if this is some ruse by Kojima to hide some twist in the game? WHAT IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY SOLIDUS AND NOT BIG BOSS? FOLLOW THE MONEY SHEEPLE! MGS CANT MELT STEEL!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@flasaltine said:

Yeah, on September 1st. People who are interested in playing the game could ignore anything by just playing it. Essentially Greggy is going to spoil the whole fucking thing (well a good chunk of it anyway) one week before it's legally released to the world.

People have a right to be pissed about this.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mirado
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mirado: Well, shit; that alleviates a lot of my concern.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I expect no less from The Commissioner.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: In fact, it makes me even more optimistic; if you really can do a weeks worth of streaming (which I assume would be at least an hour or two per day) off of just the first five missions, then this game is fucking huge.

I won't be watching, of course, but I would be interested to hear if that stream remains entertaining (to watch) with that limitation in play.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23 FinalDasa  Moderator

From my understanding he won't be playing the entire game just up to a certain chapter in the game, not the entire thing.

You should always assume someone is live streaming a game ahead of time and actively trying to spoil it.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, fantastic, the couple of days I had to play MGSV before my classes start will be spent downloading the game. The news of no preload might push me to order a physical PS4 version.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

People who like Metal Gear are fucking insane, looking at the comments to his tweet. I can only imagine that this game has plenty of missions, so him playing only the first five shouldn't really spoil anything. That is, unless the game is totally bonkers like MGS 2 and you actually play as Revolver Ocelot in those first five missions or something.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By turboman

This fucking sucks. I hate this.

Edit: Just read ahead to see he's not doing the whole game, just up to mission five... which is hopefully the equivalent to the Prologue in most other MGS's. MGS footage shown by Youtubers still shouldn't exist before the game is released... that should never happen and I have no clue how that would ever translate to more units sold.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado:I'm still going to avoid his stuff, if only because I don't want to be spoiled on the initial hospital sequence. I want the first time I see that to be when I'm playing it.

@redbullet685: To be fair, reason goes out the window on Twitter, regardless of video game.

Delex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Delex

This seems pretty gross honestly and a cheap way to fish for extra hits. I really don't like this streaming culture we live in now, especially with how thirsty Greg seems to be to get viewers.

I wish it was as easy as just "not watching it", but there is nothing stopping some asshole from watching the video for spoilers and then harassing people in twitch chat/twitter/facebook/internet forums and posting the spoilers... which I can virtually guarantee will happen to some degree given how high profile and story heavy this game is. The infamous MGS4 spoiler leak image comes to mind, but that was in a time before streamer culture and when people weren't getting early access to games using their industry contacts. I can't imagine how prolific this will be now. .

The internet is going to be a minefield - it was already going to be a minefield but thanks to Greg this is making it so much more worse - and this is one game I really, really don't want to get story spoiled on. I haven't cared about a game's story this much in years, and I really think MGSV is going to be special and have a huge twist in it that I'd like to discover for myself.

I have absolutely zero issue with Greg doing this on September 1st. It seems a little shitty to me and totally lacking in perspective that he's opting to do it with this game of all games a full week in advance.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mirado

@delex: He's not going past mission five. There won't be zero spoilers, but it's not the end of the world.

@adequatelyprepared said:

@mirado:I'm still going to avoid his stuff, if only because I don't want to be spoiled on the initial hospital sequence. I want the first time I see that to be when I'm playing it.

I agree, but he's not going to show off the hospital either. Could you edit your first post to include those two facts? People are going apeshit and it's turned out to be basically nothing. Par for the course, I guess.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit the Internet really went hard on Greg. Like a pack of starving hyenas. People be crazy.

The only semi-foolproof way to avoid spoilers these days is to just get off the Internet. Figure people would realize that by now.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's cool, and something definitely worth watching, unfortunately, I would really like to play it first day and know as little about the intro as possible.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mirado
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Those twitter responses are delightful.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NTM

@mirado: No. And no, I don't know what the intro is, so I don't really have any guesses, so I meant nothing by it other than 'the intro'. I wasn't sure if the hospital part was the opening, though now I remember some said it was. I still don't want to watch it. If I am really too excited, I might jump on and watch, but I really want to experience it myself first. Hopefully it'll upload later, which by then may be less exciting. You know, I did watch Danny with GTA 5 before I played that, but this is just different as the excitement level is just different.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Wow, I really have no idea how you've been able to avoid three entire years (and I'm not joking, it was revealed back in 2012) of them mentioning that (and also Ground Zeroes), but if you've really done that good of a job of dodging even the most minor of spoilers, by all means, stay away for the last week. Hell, spend that time teaching me how to dodge that many bullets. :D

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wish they'd take MGScanlon's stance on this. Going to have to stay away from the multiple Patron updates KindaFunny will post about this.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's no metal gear scanlon, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew MGS5 was about pain and suffering but having to watcher Miller is just a bit much. I will wait for the GB guys to do a full play thought of MGS5 which will give me more than enough time to complete the game.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wonder who are the people who will spoil the last kojima made metal gear solid game for themselves. I guess that the viewership will mostly consist of people who arent planning to play the game themselves.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado: I haven't avoided it. I'm not to avoiding the games trailers or gameplay videos; I don't ever go that far as I'm just too interested. I just don't want to watch someone playing the game before I play it... I don't see why that's hard to understand, even if I know where some parts are placed. Like I said, I knew that was the intro, I just don't want to watch it regardless. I want to experience whatever the game has to offer myself first.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mirado

@ntm: I think we're getting our wires crossed a bit. You said you wanted to know as little about the intro as possible, to which I said he wasn't going to show the intro, so you shouldn't be concerned. I then mentioned what the intro was, which apparently a few people have somehow avoided knowing anything about, which forced the post (and the one after it) to be edited. You said you avoided learning what it was, to which I responded with shock; they've shown it off for years and it is in Ground Zeroes. That's what I was referencing; we lost a bit of context here as the post was edited.

I totally understand not wanting to see anything more about TPP. Hell, I'm not going to watch it either. I apologize if I came off negative; you're absolutely in the right. I just thought your hang up was specifically about the intro, and you'd be watching otherwise.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@nardak said:

I wonder who are the people who will spoil the last kojima made metal gear solid game for themselves. I guess that the viewership will mostly consist of people who arent planning to play the game themselves.

Also people like me who are super excited and might make poor life choices. I'm really excited to play it and I definitely don't want anything spoiled... but at the same time I want to know everything right now! It's going to be tough to resist just "dropping in to maybe scrub through an episode.. see some gameplay..oh wha.. OH GOD SPOILERS" that sort of situation.

I'm weak willed, it's not my fault. I will try as hard as I can to not watch it though, hopefully I can survive the week.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Captain_Insano

Where's my Metal Gear Scanlon pre-release? I'm avoiding MGSV stuff now that we're close, but I'd be tempted to watch that. (Note: I'm being sarcastic, I love Metal Gear Scanlon but I want Drew to enjoy TPP on his own terms)

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the topic of spoilers, images from the official guide have now leaked online, so beware. I just got part of (what I assume) is the ending spoiled for me. It's dangerous out there!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By mike

Greg Miller's review and first portion of his "spoiler-free" Let's Play is dropping in about an hour, although I'll be shocked if his review turns out to be anything but overwhelmingly positive with only a few minor (and inconsequential) complaints.

I'm not saying his review is going to be biased because he has special access to the game and is allowed to show a lot of it earlier than anyone else, I'm saying his review is going to be biased because it's a Metal Gear game. It's probably going to be one of the most positive and glowing reviews written about any recent game, by anyone.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kasaioni

He was pretty adamant about avoiding spoilers in his LP. Of course nothing is certain, but I'm tempted to watch a bit of it.

@Mike Well, Peace Walker is the best game of last generation ;)

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike: Apparently reviews are meant to drop same time. So in an hour from now, we'll know if MGS5 is the greatest game ever made or a massive blunder. Either way, the internet is going to go nuts.

I am so damn thankful that the PC release got pushed up to release same time as console versions. I don't think I would have been able to handle all of this + 2 weeks of not playing the game when everyone else is.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By mike

@adequatelyprepared: I thought the review embargo was set for 0900 BST on Monday. That's about nine hours from now, or eight hours after Greg's review. Unless that 0900 BST time I heard was wrong.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@Mike said:

@adequatelyprepared: I thought the review embargo was set for 0900 BST on Monday. That's about nine hours from now, or eight hours after Greg's review. Unless that 0900 BST time I heard was wrong.

Gamespot's review is up in 40 mins, so I guess that's when embargo lifts.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mirado

@Mike: There's been conflicting reports, but if Gamespot is going to put up their review, it's safe to say they aren't breaking embargo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.